How to use Chromecast with a VPN in 2021
Want to watch web-based streaming services on your TV? Chromecast is your friend! This device from Google lets you stream content from almost any device directly to your TV screen.
However, one big problem users face is that many of the streaming services available via Chromecast use geo-blocking. In other words, content you can view in Europe may not be readily available in the United States, for instance, and vice versa.
Additionally, while VPNs are a great solution for accessing region-restricted content, the Chromecast device does not support VPNs and does not have configurable network settings. When it rains - it pours!
Fortunately, there's a workaround. You simply need a VPN that works on your router and is good for streaming. In this review, we will take you, step by step, through the process of finding and installing the right VPN to use with your Chromecast.
A short guide on how to use a VPN with Chromecast
It’s pretty simple to use a VPN with your Chromecast. You just need to follow the steps below:
- Identify the type of router that you have
- Choose a VPN that is compatible with your router - We suggest NordVPN, now 72% OFF!
- Sign up for your VPN and go to the setup guide
- Follow the instructions to set up the VPN on your router
- Connect to a server and open the Chromecast app
Using Chromecast with a VPN
The content you can access and stream with Chromecast is dependent on your location settings. Many services are only available in certain regions, so you won’t be able to access them on Chromecast unless your location is set to the right country.
For example, you might want to access BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, or stream Hulu from outside of the United States. Fortunately, you can use a VPN to change your location and get around these restrictions. You simply need a VPN that works with your router and is appropriate for streaming.
Alongside enabling streaming, VPN can offer lots of other important features, like privacy and protection. A VPN protects your anonymity while you visit websites, stream shows or download films. When you use a VPN, no one can track what you do.
It can also help to protect your data as it creates an encrypted tunnel for the data you send and receive that’s out of reach of cyberthieves and hackers.
How to install VPN with Chromecast on your device
To install a VPN with Chromecast on your device, you can either set up a reputable VPN directly on your physical router, or create a virtual router using your PC or Mac.
The best method for you will depend on the type of router you have, your level of experience, and the VPN you are using.
Installing Chromecast with VPN on a physical router
Installing Chromecast with a VPN on a physical router is simple. We’ll take you through the shortened steps below:
- Find out what type of router you have. Not all routers are VPN-ready, and different routers support different VPNs.
- Pick a VPN that is compatible with your router.
- Sign up for your VPN and head to the setup guides. Find the guide for your router.
- Follow the instructions to set up the VPN on the router.
- Once setup is complete, all devices connected to that router will be secure and any data sent from them will be encrypted.
- Connect to a server and open the Chromecast app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and you are all set!
Installing Chromecast with VPN on a virtual router
If your router is not compatible with your preferred VPN, or the setup is too tricky, you can use your Mac or PC to set up a virtual router VPN connection instead. To do this, you need to sign up for a VPN and download the software onto your device. From here, you can launch the VPN and connect to your chosen server.
Installing Chromecast with your PC
- Type Windows + S to launch the search bar on your PC
- Type cmd to open Command Prompt
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- Type the following: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allowssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD
Set the following values to name your virtual router:
- ssid=[choose a name for your network]
- key=[choose a password for your network]
- Press Enter
You should now see the following message:
- The hosted network mode has been set to allow
- The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed
- The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed
- Type the following in the command prompt: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Click Enter
- The following message should now be displayed: ‘The hosted network started’
- Right click the Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right corner of your screen and go to Open Network and Sharing Center
- Go to Change adapter settings
- Right click on the VPN connection you have created and go to Properties
Go to the Sharing tab
- Check the box beside ‘Allow Other Network User to connect through this computer’s internet connection’
- Check the box next to ‘Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection’
- Under Home Network Connection, select the connection you have just created
- Click OK
- Turn on the Chromecast app and follow the instructions to set it up
- When you reach a screen that reads: ‘Connect Chromecast to your Wi-Fi’, you need to select the virtual router that you have created
- Enter the password for your virtual router
- Click Set Network
- You are now connected to your VPN-enabled virtual router!
Installing Chromecast with your Mac
- Head to System Preferences and click on Sharing
- In the Sharing menu, select Internet Sharing on the left panel. The internet sharing options will appear on the right side of the screen.
Input the following settings:
- Share your connection from: [the L2TP VPN connection you just created]
- To computers using: check the box for Wi-Fi
Select Wi-Fi options and enter these details:
- Network name [choose network name]
- Channel [leave as default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password [choose a password]
- Verify [re-enter your password]
- Click OK
- On the Sharing menu, check the box next to Internet Sharing. You will now see a prompt asking you to turn on internet sharing
- Click Start
- Once internet sharing is activated, a green light will appear next to the text: Internet sharing: on
- Turn on the Chromecast app and follow the on-screen instructions for set up
- When you get to the screen that reads Connect Chromecast to your Wi-Fi, select the virtual router that you have set up
- Enter the password for your virtual router
- Click Set Network
- You are now connected!
Best Chromecast VPNs in 2021
Looking for the best VPNs for Chromecast? Take a look at our top choices! Each of them not only supports a variety of routers, but also offers lots of features that will help you greatly in your everyday life.
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
NordVPN is the perfect choice for Chromecast. It’s fast, safe, and easy to use - perfect for beginners and IT professionals alike.
There are two ways to use NordVPN on Chromecast. You can either set up a mobile hotspot from a laptop or a PC (which is connected to the VPN), or install the tool on your router.
NordVPN also unblocks lots of streaming services, supports torrenting, and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Pick NordVPN for:
- SmartPlay feature which means that you don’t have to set up a VPN on router
- Its ability to unblock streaming services
- Fast connection speeds
- Large server fleet
- 7-day free trial (if you first get it on Google Play or App store)
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
Surfshark is yet another great VPN for Chromecast. Not only is it cheap, but it also doesn’t have a limit on simultaneous connections. In addition, it packs a ton of features like split tunneling, a Camouflage Mode, and smart DNS.
To use Surfshark on Chromecast, you’ll need to set it up on your router. I like that the VPN offers lots of useful guides on how to do that on its official website.
Pick Surfshark for:
- SmartDNS that unblocks content without VPN on your router
- Efficiency when unblocking streaming content
- NoBorders mode that is very useful in restrictive coutries
- Their great Android app
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get ExpressVPN, now 35% OFF!|
Express VPN is truly one of the best VPNs to use with your Chromecast, as it offers a proprietary router app, making things much easier.
However, you will use ExpressVPN for much more than that. The tool supports torrenting, works in restricted countries like China, and unblocks a myriad of streaming services, from Netflix to DAZN.
Even though ExpressVPN is one of the more expensive options, it supports five simultaneous connections and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Pick ExpressVPN for:
- Their excellent router app
- SmartDNS that doesn’t even require router configurations to work
- Record-breaking VPN speeds
- Good server coverage
- Near-instant VPN connections with Lightway protocol
Chromecast and VPN benefits
There are many benefits to using a VPN with your Chromecast. To start, you will no longer be at the mercy of the Internet Service Providers (ISP), who are known to throttle connections when they detect video streaming or torrenting. A VPN hides your activities and as a result, stops the ISP from knowing when to interfere with your connection. You may even find that your connection speed increases when using a VPN.
Another benefit is that you’ll unlock geo-blocked streaming content. As long as you know what country has access to the content you want, you can access it by changing the server on the VPN app.
Finally, thanks to the encryption used in VPN connections, your local network will be unable to block your streaming sites or favorite apps. A VPN lets you watch Netflix, HBO, Hotstar, Hulu, etc.
Using Chromecast with Netflix
If you don’t have a smart TV, using Chromecast is a great way to enjoy Netflix on your big screen. All you need is the Netflix app on your mobile device, which can be downloaded free from the app store.
You can also run Netflix in the Chrome web browser on your Mac, Windows or Chromebook laptop, and cast it to your TV using Chromecast.
To begin, make sure your Chromecast device is connected to your TV and Wi-Fi network. Next, you simply need to open the Netflix app on your mobile device, or head to the Netflix website in your laptop’s Google Chrome browser.
A cast icon should show in the upper corner of your screen. Click this, and a list of available devices should appear. Select your Chromecast from the list of devices, and Netflix will launch on your TV. You should now be set to play any TV show or movies you want from the app!
Our key takeaways
It’s totally possible to enjoy your favorite shows and movies through Chromecast by using a VPN. Alongside unlocking streaming libraries from all round the world, a VPN will also let you stream in privacy, as your ISP won’t be able to record your internet browsing data.
A VPN helps you to eliminate censorship. If the country you’re in has banned your favorite app or channel, you can bypass it with your VPN. You can also avoid the slowing effects of ISPs and stream without interruption.
We believe that setting up a VPN to work with Chromecast is well worth the effort. While Chromecast gives you the freedom to turn any TV into a smart TV, a VPN gives you the ability to tap into any network and streaming service. No longer held back by geo-blocking, you’ll be free to cast whatever you want wherever you are.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Can I use a VPN with Chromecast?
Yes, all you need to do is pick a VPN that works well with your router and is good for streaming shows and films. Then, set up the VPN on your router and you can use it on your Chromecast.
Does NordVPN work with Chromecast?
Yes. You can use NordVPN with your Chromecast by connecting to a physical or a virtual router. NordVPN is good for using on Chromecast as it has lots of servers to help you bypass geo-restrictions.
Can I use a free VPN with my Chromecast?
You can use a free VPN with your Chromecast. You just need to ensure that it is compatible with your router. However, we don’t recommend using a free VPN, as they aren’t as secure and are more likely to be blocked by streaming services.