How to get a US IP address in 2022
If you try to access certain US websites from outside America, you might find that you’re blocked from using the site.
Luckily there are simple workarounds to this issue. The easiest method is to download and install a good VPN. VPNs mask your actual IP address and set it to a new location of your choice.
Additionally, you’ll be able to watch geo-restricted local content, catch up on American sporting events or simply access your own web accounts while overseas.
In this guide, we’re going to explain how to find a good VPN, why you might want one in the first place, and how to change your IP address to a US one in seconds.
How to get a United States IP address in a few simple steps
- Find a good, reliable and trustworthy VPN. We recommend NordVPN - get 68% OFF!
- Download and install your chosen VPN to your device.
- Launch the VPN and use it to connect to a US server.
- Head to the US website you want to access.
- Kick back and enjoy the US content.
What can you do with a US IP address?
Having an American IP address can be beneficial for all sorts of reasons, for example, unblocking geo-restricted content and accessing a whole new set of entertainment options. Besides, to have a VPN when travelling is always a good idea. Here are some more reasons for getting a US IP address:
- Unblock geo-restricted American Netflix library
- Access US-only gaming servers
- Watch YouTube videos that are only available in the US
- Get US-exclusive discounts on products and services, like software and video games
- Listen to new music on sites like Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music and SoundCloud
- Get access to US-only online TV channels, such as DirecTV or Hulu
- Watch live US sports on American TV online
- Get cheaper rates on flights and hotels
- Reduce lag while playing Fortnite, Minecraft, CoD: Warzone and other games
- Protect your online presence when travelling
How does a VPN change your IP address to a US IP address?
Whenever you visit a website or use an online service, like a streaming platform, that site will automatically be able to identify the country you are in by looking at your IP address. It’s essentially a digital address for you and your device.
Often, websites and services have content that they want to restrict. For instance, Netflix has specific licensing agreements in different regions, so will use IP addresses to make sure only people within certain countries can access its content. This is known as geo-restriction.
Luckily, you can easily change your IP address with a VPN. When you use a VPN, you connect to a server located somewhere else in the world. So when you access a website, it will see the IP address of this new location, and not where you’re actually visiting from. In this case, you will need to connect to a US server and get access to US websites with no problems. It’s all very easy and completely legal.
Alternative methods of getting a US IP address
Although it’s the easiest method, you don’t always need to use a VPN to change your IP address to a US IP address. Here are a couple of alternative methods of getting a US IP address:
- Tor browser. It’s a web browser that works just like Firefox and Chrome, but Tor is more focused on anonymity and encryption.Tor is the go-to browser for people accessing the dark web, but it can also be used to switch to a US IP address. However, this process is more complicated than simply using a VPN.
- A proxy server. A proxy server is a bit like a middleman, as you use an online service that will then direct your IP address to a new location when you want to access blocked content. However, most of the top streaming sites routinely shut down proxy servers that are being used to access their content. So even if you manage to get in, you might find yourself locked out halfway through an episode of your new favorite show. Proxy servers are nowhere near as reliable as VPNs.
How to get a US IP address on your device with VPN
It may be beneficial to get a US IP address on more than one device, especially if you’re using them on a daily basis. Here are simple and easy to follow guides on how to get a US IP server address on your PC or mobile phone:
Get a US IP address on your PC
Here’s a quick guide on how to get a US IP address on your Windows or Mac device with a VPN:
- Choose a reliable VPN. We think NordVPN is the best.
- Purchase a subscription.
- Install the VPN on your Windows or Mac.
- Clear cookies from your browser to set up location anew.
- Launch the VPN app and login.
- Connect to a US server.
- Access US websites like you usually would.
Get a US IP address on your Phone
To get a US IP address on your Android or iPhone device with a VPN, follow these simple steps:
- Select a VPN that best suits your needs. NordVPN is a good option.
- Register and buy a subscription.
- Download the VPN app from Google Play or App Store and install it on your phone.
- Clear cache files and browser cookies.
- Launch the VPN app and login.
- Connect to a US server.
- Use apps and access US websites like you normally do.
What are the best VPN services to get a US IP address?
So now you know how to change your IP address, the next thing is to find a good VPN. There are a lot of VPNs to choose from, but it’s important you pick the right VPN. Here are a few features you should look out for:
- A number of servers throughout the US (and the rest of the world)
- Fast server speed for high quality streaming
- Support for numerous devices, including desktop, mobile and tablet
- Security features, such as malware block and data protection
- Affordable prices, with a money-back guarantee or trial period
You can read our complete review of the best VPNs for USA on the market, o pick one from the suggestion below.
NordVPN - the best VPN for US IP address
|Servers/countries:||5100 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥NordVPN is now 68% OFF!🔥|
NordVPN is a favorite upon other VPNs. It offers a great choice of servers all around America, with both East Coast and West Coast locations. In addition to that it has servers in 59 countries all over the world. Also it is one of the best VPNs to use if you want to access streaming sites, like US Netflix. This is because it’s fast, doesn’t log your personal details, and has security features, such as malware protection.
NordVPN is available to download onto your desktop, and it also has apps for iOS and Android devices. You can use it on a computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it’s very useful if there’s a one-off US TV event you want to watch.
For more details, take a look at our NordVPN review.
- Solid, independently audited security features
- Unblocks streaming websites
- Excellent performance
- Affordable price
- No router app
Surfshark - the fastest VPN for US
|Servers/countries:||3200servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!🔥|
Surfshark is another VPN that’s ideal for accessing US content. It’s fast, secure, and has plenty of servers to choose from, both in America and the rest of the world.
SurfShark gets great reviews for its speed, so it’s excellent for streaming US entertainment on sites like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV and HBO. SurfShark also has a no-logs policy, which means it will never save or share your personal details. It offers some great security features, such as malware and DNS leak protection.
From desktop to smartphone, SurfShark has an app for all platforms and can be used on unlimited devices with just one account. And it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more, read our Surfshark review.
- Strong security features
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Servers in US
- Fast WireGuard protocol performance
- No split tunneling on iOS
IPVanish - VPN with the most servers in the US
|Servers/countries:||1600 servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 65% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
IPVanish is also a great VPN to use if you want to get a US IP address. It has servers servers in countries countries, 952 of which are located in North America, the majority of those being in the US. You definitely won’t fall short on locations to use.
IPVanish also unblocks US Netflix library and YouTube, which is a huge plus if you want to access geo-restricted content. The fast speeds will ensure a smooth watching experience without any buffering.
In addition to working with streaming platforms, IPVanish also has some neat security features to keep you safe online. These include split tunneling, a kill switch and a SOCKS5 proxy. IPVanish has apps available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
And if you decide you don’t like the VPN after all, IPVanish offers a 30-day money back guarantee, so you won’t be losing any money.
For more information, read our IPVanish review.
- Unlimited connections
- One of the cheapest yearly options
- DNS leak protection
- Unblocks US Netflix
- Price increases after a year
- Doesn’t work in china
- No Linux client
Getting a US IP address while traveling or simply living outside of the country can be a life-saver or a game-changer if you want to access content and websites that are exclusive to the US.
Fortunately, unblocking the extensive US Netflix library, getting that sweet, location specific discount offer or watching your favorite NFL team play is possible with a VPN.
A VPN will not only change your IP address to a US one, though. Using a virtual private network adds an extra layer of security while online. The best VPNs have ad blockers and protection against malware, thus ensuring a smooth and safe browsing experience.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to watch HBO Max outside of the US - watch your favorite TV shows from anywhere with a VPN
How to watch Sling TV outside US - catch up on US sports events no matter where you are
How to watch American Netflix from anywhere - access the biggest US Netflix library
How to watch Hulu outside the US - stream your favorite movies and TV shows from outside the US