How to get unbanned from a Discord server
While Discord’s community-friendly structure makes the platform great for lively debates, users do face some risks. One of these is getting banned from Discord.
There are several types of bans on Discord. The first is a server ban, which means not being able to access a specific community server. The second is a Discord-wide ban, where you cannot access any of Discord’s services.
Luckily, there are a number of ways you can bypass your IP ban and access Discord. After thorough testing for getting unbanned from Discord with a VPN, we've prepared you a guide on what could help you beat the pesky ban and selected the best VPNs for Discord. Even though for some instances VPN might not unban you from a Discord server, as it depends on every individual situation and the circumstances, it will protect you from fraud, cyber threats, DDoS attacks, tracking, and government surveillance, and other potential bans.
How to get unbanned from a Discord server with VPN
- Delete the Discord folder on your computer and uninstall Discord from your device.
- Open up your VPN app and connect to a VPN server to use a new IP address. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Reinstall Discord.
- Create a new account using another email address.
- Login to Discord with your new account.
If you received a server ban rather than a site-wide ban, you can then re-join the server you were banned from. You can even disconnect from the VPN once you’ve created your new account.
Why do I need a VPN for Discord?
Discord is one of the fastest-growing social apps, originally built for gamers to chat via voice, video, or text while playing games like Fortnite. Its unique selling point that made it popular among gamers, is that you can add a voice channel onto the server to talk to other gamers while you play. However, Discord has been banned by organisations including businesses, schools, and certain oppressive countries, like many other encrypted communication and gaming apps. Since it can be a distraction for both students and employees, businesses and schools frequently impose access restrictions on Discord.
A VPN can help you whether you want to get around an IP ban, use Discord in a region where it's not allowed, or just want to keep your online activity more secret. We've compiled a list of the top VPNs for Discord, all of which provide a large number of IP addresses to make IP bans obsolete.
Best VPNs for Discord – shortlist:
- NordVPN – the best overall VPN for Discord with unlimited bandwidth
- Surfshark – budget-friendly VPN solution for Discord servers
- Proton VPN – high-speed VPN with a free version to guarantee online anonymity
- ExpressVPN – top-notch security VPN for Discord
- CyberGhost – a variety of servers for ultimate anonymity
We've compiled a list of the top VPNs for Discord, all of which provide a large number of IP addresses to make IP bans obsolete.
1. NordVPN – the best overall VPN for Discord
|Total servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
The best VPN for DIscord is NordVPN, it offers a great selection of features and security-oriented service. With a big server fleet – 5500+ servers in 60 countries, NordVPN is the market-leading VPN service provider that will help you secure your Discord.
NordVPN operates under a strict no-logs policy, which is regularly and independently audited. To add that extra layer of security, NordVPN uses RAM-only servers making sure none of your data gets stored on hard drives.
For a safe and secure experience on Discord, NordVPN uses strong AES-256 encryption. Next to it, you can choose from a variety of tunneling protocols, including the WireGuard protocol that offers fast speeds and unbreakable protection.
That’s not all. NordVPN has more security features – a functional kill switch, obfuscation feature. So, if you’d be trying to access Discord from heavily-censored locations, you’d have no trouble whatsoever. Additionally, NordVPN can unblock major streaming platforms.
Prices start at $3.29/month and you can try it beforehand with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, read our NordVPN review.
- Excellent for streaming and torrenting
- Great speed test results
- Unmatched browsing security
- Affordable price
- Independently audited
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Linux app has no graphic interface
2. Surfshark – budget-friendly VPN solution for Discord
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Total servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is another great VPN choice for Discord and is a way to go if you want to use VPN on an unlimited number of devices. Having over 3200 servers in 100 countries, Surfshark works great with Discord and it has everything you need for a safe experience on it.
Surfshark VPN is one of the safest VPNs, as it’s independently audited, and has a no-logs policy. Just as other market-leading VPNs, Surfsahrk also implements a RAM-only technology.
Surfshark ensures your activities will be encrypted using a superior AES-256 encryption. For undisturbed connection speeds, there’s the WireGuard protocol besides other tunneling protocols, like OpenVPN.
Additionally, Surfshark offers a bundle of tools – recently released Surfshark One includes not only a VPN but also an IP rotator, Surfshark antivirus, data monitoring, and more. Other essential features of the VPN that have to be mentioned here are kill switch, obfuscation, and split tunneling.
In terms of pricing, Surfshark is known to be one of the most affordable VPNs on the market. Prices start at $2.30/month and what’s more, you can use a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more about this provider in our Surfshark review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Big server fleet
- Great performance
- Fast WireGuard protocol performance
- Excellent customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Apple product apps are slightly weaker
3. Proton VPN – secure and speedy VPN for Discord
|Total servers/countries:||1800+ servers in 66 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN! 🔥|
Proton VPN is another robust choice for Discord, that offers a bunch of security features and will ensure a great experience for browsing. It might have a smaller server fleet – 1800+ servers in 66 countries but it makes up with a great focus on security and privacy.
With Proton VPN, you can prevent bans from Discord and access it from almost any location. No matter where you’re connecting from, your online activities will be encrypted with a strong AES-256 encryption. This VPN also implements fast tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2. It makes sures you don’t experience any buffering.
What also adds to a strong security is a kill switch feature, which will automatically disconnect your device from the Internet if your VPN connection fails. Proton VPN also has a VPN accelerator, which significantly improves overall performance, and a no-logs policy that ensures no collection of users data.
Proton VPN has a decent free version. However, it’s not as great as its premium version. Its price starts at $4.99/month. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more, read a comprehensive Proton VPN review.
- Free version
- Allows torrenting
- Allows anonymous payments
- Unblocks popular streaming platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers open-source apps
- Modest server fleet
- Quite pricey
4. ExpressVPN – top-level protocol for speedy connection
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Total servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan!🔥|
Another trustworthy platform that will help you avoid a ban on Discord is ExpressVPN. This provider eliminates geo-blocks and allows switching over 3000+ servers in 94 countries. So if you want to stay private or Discord is unavailable in your country, ExpressVPN helps to change locations without hassle.
ExpressVPN offers effective online protection: it uses a top-notch AES 256-GCM cipher that encrypts your Discord chats and activities. For example, Lightway – is the best ExpressVPN protocol. It can speed up your connection and keep you safe from possible security interference if your internet frequently drops.
The threat manager feature blocks potential third-party tracking or malicious activities when using Discord. You’re always secure and anonymous online. It’s because ExpressVPN cross-checks every platform you visit to inspect whether it’s free from malicious tracking.
With only $6.67/month, you can connect up to 5 devices to one ExpressVPN subscription. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Learn more in ExpressVPN review.
- No-logs policy
- Top-notch encryption
- Bitcoin as a payment option
- Threat manager
- More expensive than other providers
- iOS version doesn't have a kill switch
5. CyberGhost – VPN with no-logs policy
|Total servers/countries:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE🔥|
CyberGhost is a great VPN to stay extra anonymous and secure online – 9700+ servers in 91 countries will help safeguard your identity and stay private on Discord. CyberGhost hides your internet activity from prying eyes, whether it’s ISP, hackers, or other parties you want to keep away from the Discord surfing loop.
With numerous servers, 256-bit AES encryption keeps your online activities anonymous – at all times! Alongside, this VPN ensures that your data on Discord moves freely and safely with tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN (UDP/TCP). CyberGhost has a strict no-logs policy which ensures that your data doesn’t end up in the wrong hands.
A kill switch feature is another component that assures constant ultimate security. It prevents your connection from becoming unprotected – if you lose access to VPN, the kill switch automatically disconnects your device from an Internet connection, always keeping you safe.
Try CyberGhost on your preferred device for $2.19/month – get a 3-day trial on Android or a 7-day trial on iOS. Keep in mind: with a multi-year plan, you can access CyberGhost ID Guard, which immediately alerts if your e-mail appears in a data breach.
For more details, head over to our CyberGhost review.
- Servers for ultimate anonymity and unblocking
- E-mail data breach alert
- Dedicated servers for gaming and streaming
- No-logs policy
- Unstable speed performance
- Unintuitive Linux client
How we selected and tested these VPNs for Discord
When selecting the best VPNs for Discord, we paid most attention to the following criteria:
- Compatibility. First and foremost, you need to make sure a VPN is compatible with Discord application and whether it works alright.
- Strong security. The VPNs we selected ensure safe connection with strong encryption in place and advanced security features, such as next-gen encryption, a kill switch, and more.
- Apps availability. To be able to unban Discord, you also need to make sure that the VPN functions on multiple devices and operating systems (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS).
- Privacy. A VPN must guarantee your anonymity and should have no-logs policy. NordVPN is the leading VPN option from our selection.
- Ability to unblock geo-restricted content. This will enable Discord in geo-blocked places like UAE, Egypt, or China. Some schools and businesses restrict the access to Discord due to distraction reasons – you can bypass this restriction with a VPN solution.
How to unban yourself from a Discord server
If you’ve been IP-banned from a Discord server, you can regain access either by using a workaround, like a VPN, or by reaching out to the administrators themselves.
Here, we’ll walk you through the options to help you get back onto a Discord server.
- Use a VPN on Discord to bypass IP ban. We recommend using a NordVPN.
- Set up a new account.
- Contact customer support or server admin.
- Use mobile or another network.
1. Use a VPN on Discord to bypass IP ban
Using a VPN is a good way to work around a ban on Discord. To do this, you will need to delete your data and uninstall the Discord app. You’ll also need to sign up to a reliable VPN service, if you haven’t already got one.
You can then follow our step-by-step guide above to get yourself unbanned from Discord.
A VPN might not always properly work when unbanning from a Discord server on your device, as it depends on the type of Discord ban you have in place or your connection. If Discord is not working with the current VPN, try other servers or another VPN provider. If you are using a free VPN, try a paid one – a lot of them have free trials or money-back guarantee.
2. Set up a new account
Setting up a new Discord account can help you regain access. However, this won’t work if you’ve been banned because of a suspicious IP address, unless you use a VPN to generate a new IP for you.
However, if you have been given a server ban from an individual server’s administrator, creating a new account and re-joining would be a straightforward way of unbanning yourself from that server. To do this, you will need a different email address. We also recommend choosing a completely different username. After all, if a server administrator has banned a username of “Derek123” on Monday, it will probably seem suspicious if “Derek1234” turns up on Tuesday.
3. Contact customer support or server admin
If you’ve been banned from a server, contacting the server admin is often the simplest way of unbanning yourself.
If you’ve been given a platform ban, you should contact customer support. This will help you understand why you were banned and you can work with the Customer Support team to unban you.
4. Use mobile or another network
If you have been banned because your IP address has been flagged as suspicious and you don’t use a VPN, you can get around this by downloading the Discord app onto your phone. Alternatively, you can try using a different network, which should alter your IP address enough to resolve the issue.
How to unblock Discord on your device
Below we listed step-by-step instructions on how to unblock Discord on multiple devices. Let’s take a look.
Unblock Discord on PC (Windows, Mac)
- Close Discord, and go to the app data folder on the C:\ drive on your computer. You can find it under your username folder. You may need to show hidden folders to see this. To enable hidden items, open the View tab and make sure that the Hidden Item box is ticked.
- Once you open this folder, click on the Local folder and Delete the Discord folder.
- Open your chosen VPN app and connect to a VPN server to connect to a new IP address.
- Reinstall the Discord app.
- Create a new account with a different email address and/or phone number.
- Login to your new account and join the server you were banned from.
How to unblock Discord on phone (Android, iOS)
- Turn off the Wi-Fi and leave the cellular data plan.
- Launch Discord on your phone.
- Create a new account with a new email address.
- Log in to Discord with a new account.
- Join a server that you were banned from.
- Log out of Discord and turn off the mobile data.
- Log in to Discord on the Desktop app with a new account.
- You should be able to access a previously banned server!
Discord not working with a VPN
If your Discord is not working after trying to unban your account or while using it on an account that wasn’t banned, there are still a few things that you can try before canceling your VPN subscription:
- Try different servers in the same or different country (some IP addresses might be blocked). Changing regions in the country or choosing other server locations might just do the trick.
- Ask customer support for help. Reach out to an admin or a support agent who can provide you more in-depth information customized to your situation.
- Refresh the app. Reopen the app after closing it. Restart Discord after quitting it and waiting a short while. This might establish a fresh connection to Discord and a VPN.
- Disable proxy server settings. Using a proxy server can also disrupt the connection leading to Discord disconnection.
- Over 5500 servers in 59 countries
- Great speed test scores
- No throttling or bandwidth limitations
How to unblock Discord with a free VPN?
Blocked IP is the primary cause of Discord bans. A free VPN should be able to fix this, but it may have more users than the network can handle, which may slow down the connection and make it unstable.
What’s more, we don’t recommend using free VPNs, as they don’t always manage unblocking platforms, simply lack features, and are poor in performance. Free VPNs also tend to collect and sell user data. Instead, we recommend trying freemium VPNs – premium VPNs with free trials or money-back guarantees, such as NordVPN.
If you nonetheless choose to use a free VPN service, then here’s a step-by-step guide on how to bypassing the Discord block:
- Choose a free VPN provider and create an account.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to the server of your choice.
- Follow the steps for creating a new Discord account.
If you’ve been banned from Discord or can’t access it because of the geo-restrictions or some other limits, there are still ways to regain it or start a new account while remaining secure at all times.
We have resourced the best ways to get unbanned from a Discord server and the common issues users face when trying to regain access. For this reason, we’ve listed the best VPN services, which can not only unban you on Discord but also put an extra layer of security on your online presence.
Reliable VPNs like NordVPN are affordable and functionable tools to help you get around bans, geo-restrictions, and provide you a safe experience while surfing the Internet.
More related VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to Bypass Circle with Disney: accept no censorship in your household with these solutions
How to Get Unbanned from Omegle: best tips to get back to chatting with strangers
How to Unblock YouTube Videos Blocked In Your Country: access all of its content with these simple solutions
Best Roblox VPNs: improve your gaming experience
How to remove Discord virus: protect your device and get rid of potential dangers
How do I unban my Discord account?
You can unban your Discord account by contacting the Customer Service team or server admin to appeal the ban. Alternatively, you can use a VPN or a different device to regain access – now, NordVPN 63% OFF.
How long does a Discord ban last?
If you have been given a server ban, it is at the discretion of the server’s admin team, so it could be lifted at any time. If you have been given a platform ban, it is a permanent ban.
Does Discord ban IP addresses?
Yes, Discord sometimes bans IP addresses. If you want to unban yourself, you will need a different IP address to sort this problem. You can get a new IP address by using a different device, network or a VPN.
if someone knows how to resolve this please help me
If your Discord account was paired with your phone number, then a VPN won't change that number, so your ban will still be on.
Nitro Discord Account - They couldn't even be bothered enough to send me a warning or a real message, one not auto generated. My account didn't send a threat to anyone or any group of people. Nothing I've ever posted has ever incited violence against individuals or communities. Nearly everything I discuss involves de-escalation, depolarization, not turning up the heat. No server I've ever been a part of has ever done any of this that I'm aware of.
Obviously the intent is to turn up the heat. Ban me after being a user of 5+ years and even giving you money without saying a word to me? Don't provide any information on how to redeem myself? Don't tell me the specific action that resulted in my ban? Sounds inflammatory to me. I sent them a message via customer support and I haven't received a reply in 24hrs. Amazing customer service response time. I'm not going to wait 3+ days for someone to send me a message saying I messed up and broke the rules, get ticked off because my original message isn't addressed, reply, wait another 3+ days... Screw this. I don't even want them to send me an email now. They can shove it. I'll just have a nice laugh little laugh when I see their name in a headline 5-10 years down the road saying they've gone under. I can't wait for all these tech companies who would rather protect someone's feelings instead of protecting my rights fall. Screw them. I hope for their extinction.
Some other dude made it worse by saying washing machine.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked