Discovery Plus is a popular streaming service filled with fantastic non-fiction content, including documentaries, reality TV, and sports fixtures. But, thanks to geo-restrictions, it’s not available to watch in every country.
Don’t fret, though, because there’s an easy way to stream it from anywhere! All you need is to use a VPN to connect to a server in a location where Discovery Plus is available, and you’ll be able to bypass its region restrictions. Even better, a VPN will also encrypt your data to help you improve your online privacy.
This guide is dedicated to helping you watch Discovery Plus from anywhere on the most popular devices using a VPN. So read on to find out everything you need to know.
Watch Discovery Plus online with a VPN – a short guide
- Pick a VPN with plenty of international servers. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download and install the software onto your device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Sign in or create an account for Discovery Plus.
- Put your feet up and enjoy watching all Discovery Plus has to offer!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Discovery Plus?
Launched in 2020, Discovery Plus quickly became a popular streaming service due to its impressive library of documentaries, sports shows, and reality TV. Unfortunately, it’s currently only available to watch in the US, Canada, Brazil, and parts of Asia and Europe.
This is because Discovery Plus has to adhere to copyright laws, licensing agreements, and distribution rights. If you try to access Discovery Plus from a different location, you will be blocked by the following error message:
But there’s no need to despair because we have a wonderfully simple solution that will enable you to bypass Discovery Plus’ region restrictions. Just get yourself a reputable VPN and use it to connect to a server in a location that has the rights to show Discovery Plus.
And if you’re struggling to find a trustworthy VPN, we’ll recommend some tried-and-tested solutions that can unblock Discovery Plus with ease in the next section!
Best VPNs to watch Discovery Plus from anywhere
- NordVPN – Best VPN for unblocking Discovery Plus from anywhere
- Surfshark – Great-value solution for watching Discovery Plus
- IPVanish – Fantastic all-round provider
It’s evident that not all VPNs can bypass Discovery Plus’ location restrictions. Therefore, you’ll need to find one that has a fleet of high-quality servers in the US, Canada, and Europe.
To help you find one that works, we’ve tested out a vast array of options and have recommended 3 providers that can unblock Discovery Plus from anywhere. On top of this, they come with excellent security features, fast speeds for buffer-free streaming, and the ability to bypass restrictions on a range of sites and services.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for unblocking Discovery Plus
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons: ||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
NordVPN is the best solution for anyone looking for a VPN to watch Discovery Plus from abroad. It has more than 5500 servers, including over 1,970 in the US. This means you can use it to unblock Discovery Plus and any other streaming service you could want.
We’ve also found it the most secure VPN we’ve used, and you get fantastic speeds for streaming HD content.
Subscriptions start from $3.49 per month. And you can use one of our coupons to get a 63% discount on a NordVPN plan, so it’s the best deal you can find!
For more information, read our in-depth NordVPN review.
- Impressive fleet of international servers
- Unbeatable security
- Can bypass region restrictions with ease
- Ideal speeds for streaming
- Zero logs policy
- You have to click twice to disconnect
2. Surfshark – great-value Discovery Plus solution
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons: ||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
If you’re looking for a more cost-effective option, Surfshark is the perfect solution. It has over 3200 servers in over 100 countries, so you’ll have no issues unblocking Discovery Plus from anywhere. This also means you can access all sorts of other sites and services from around the globe.
Even better, you’ll enjoy the fastest speeds we’ve found on a VPN, along with strong security to protect your data.
Prices start from just $2.30 per month, and our coupons get you an incredible 83% off a Surfshark subscription and 3 months for free!
To find out more, check out our detailed Surshark VPN review.
- You get a lot for your money
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fastest speeds on any VPN
- Can unblock any streaming service you want
- Customer support isn’t quite as strong
3. IPVanish – fantastic all-round provider
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons: ||IPVanish coupon 72% OFF|
When it comes to trustworthy VPNs, IPVanish is one of the best you can find. It gives you access to over 2000 high-quality servers in 50 countries, so you can use it to unblock a range of streaming services, including Discovery Plus.
It punches above its weight when it comes to speed and security, and it gives you unlimited simultaneous connections, so it’s great value for the whole family.
Prices start at $3.33 per month. And you can get 72% off a two-year IPVanish subscription with one of our coupons!
For more advice, take a look at our full IPVanish review.
- Strong collection of servers
- Can consistently unblock Discovery Plus
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Strong security offering
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Won’t work in China
Top streaming services to watch the Discovery Channel online
Before signing up for the Discovery Plus streaming service, make sure that you don’t already have access to the Discovery Channel through one of your other subscriptions in the US. Here’s a list of streaming services and TV packages that come with the channel:
|Channel or streaming service||Monthly cost|
How to watch Discovery Plus on your device
You can use a VPN to access Discovery Plus from anywhere, whether you’re using an Android device, a PC, an iPhone, a Mac, or even a smart TV. All you need is a VPN! However, while it’s straightforward to do, the steps do differ slightly, depending on which device you’re using. We’ve written some easy step-by-step guides to help you through the process to make things easier.
Watch Discovery Plus on a smart device
VPNs work on most smartphones, computers, and tablets. To access Discovery Plus on your device, just follow these simple steps:
- Change your device and App Store locations to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your device. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- If you have an Apple ID or Google account, create a new one and select the US as your location.
- Head to the Discovery Plus website, or download the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Sign up for a subscription and enjoy watching all the great content on offer!
If you’d like more help, you can read our dedicated guides, which will provide you with a lot more detail on how to do this:
- Top-rated VPNs to use for Windows – watch Discovery Plus on your PC
- Best Mac VPNs for watching Discovery Plus – choose the best VPN for your Mac
- Highest-rated iOS VPNs – get Discovery Plus on your iPhone while you’re traveling
- Top-tier VPN apps for Android – access region-restricted content on your Android
Watch Discovery Plus on a streaming device
The frustrating thing is, most of the popular streaming sticks, such as Kodi, Roku, and Apple TV, don’t support VPN apps. But there’s a simple way around this: connect your VPN to your Wi-Fi instead! Sounds tricky? It’s not! Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose a VPN with lots of Canadian servers. NordVPN is the ideal choice for this.
- Download and install the software and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Insert your streaming stick into your smart TV using the HDMI port.
- Turn on your TV and select Discovery Plus on your streaming stick’s home screen.
- Log in or sign up for an account.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy watching some fantastic documentaries!
Alternatively, if you have an Amazon Firestick, you can download a VPN app directly onto your streaming stick.
For more detailed advice about using a VPN with your streaming stick, be sure to read our guides:
- Top Kodi VPNs – bypass restrictions and stream Discovery Plus from anywhere
- VPNs best suited for Apple TVs – the best VPNs for your Apple streaming device
- VPNs that work with Roku – top tips for accessing geo-blocked content on Roku
- Solid VPNs for Firestick – the best VPNs with apps for Amazon Firestick
How to sign up for Discovery Plus from anywhere
The good news is, you can use PayPal to sign up for a Discovery Plus subscription. However, if you don’t have a PayPal account, you might be better off using a gift card instead. Here’s how to get one:
- Use a VPN to connect to a server in the US. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Buy a Discovery Plus gift card.
- Sign in or create an account and select a subscription plan that suits your needs.
- Enter the gift card information provided in your confirmation email.
- Finish the sign-up process, log in, and start browsing the content you want to watch!
How to watch Discovery Plus from any country
Discovery Plus is now available in many countries, including the US, Canada, the UK, parts of Asia, and most of Europe. But if you live in a country that doesn’t yet have access to Discovery Plus, or if you’re traveling and want to keep watching all your favorite documentaries while you’re abroad, you’ll need a reliable VPN to unblock the platform’s region restrictions.
So, if you’re in Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Italy, or any other country where Discovery Plus is blocked, here’s what you need to do to access the platform:
- Download and install a VPN with a strong collection of US servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Create an account and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Head to the Discovery Plus website or app and either sign in or create an account.
- Grab a drink and settle down to watch some fantastic shows!
If you’re planning a trip abroad, take a look at our guide on the most reliable VPNs for traveling to stay up-to-date with all your favorite shows on Discovery Plus.
Can’t access Discovery Plus with a VPN?
Occasionally, you might run into problems and find that Discovery Plus is not connecting. You might even get a VPN error message informing you that Discovery Plus is restricted and you can’t access it.
If this is something you’re struggling with, make sure that you’ve connected to a server in a location that has the rights to show Discovery Plus, as that might explain why it’s not working.
If you’ve checked that, it’s possible that your VPN simply isn’t working at this time. However, to make sure, we recommend taking a look at our in-depth guide on how to use a VPN. Or, if you’re looking for a quick fix, we’ve provided some simple troubleshooting solutions below:
- Check that you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN, as your real IP address may be visible.
- Try using another browser.
- Clear your cache and cookies, as they could be showing your true location.
- Try connecting to a different server.
- Get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team.
If none of these solutions work, it may be time to consider upgrading to a more privacy-focused VPN. It’s possible that your VPN can no longer bypass Discovery Plus’ region restrictions.
How to watch Discovery Plus with a free VPN
The best option for using a free VPN to unblock Discovery Plus from anywhere is to get a freemium, which is a more basic version of a paid-for VPN that doesn’t cost anything to use. As you might expect, a freemium has far fewer features than the version you pay for, but ProtonVPN and Atlas VPN are pretty good, as they have decent security and unlimited data.
On the flip side, if you want to use a VPN to access Discovery Plus for a short length of time, such as binge-watching a specific show, or traveling abroad for work or pleasure, you should look into using a free trial of a paid VPN. Such options include:
- NordVPN – with thousands of high-quality servers across the globe, NordVPN can breeze past Discovery Plus’ region restrictions. Prices start from just $3.49 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark – with unlimited simultaneous connections and unbeatable speeds, Surfshark is perhaps the best-value option you can find. Subscriptions start from just $2.30 a month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – this lightweight option offers excellent security and can unblock any content you want from anywhere in the world. Prices start from $3.33 a month, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Be aware that completely free VPN providers are often unsafe, as they have a reputation for making money by selling customer data to third parties. On top of this, the selection of servers is usually pretty bad, so you almost certainly won’t be able to use one to bypass region restrictions on a major streaming service, such as Discovery Plus.
What you can watch on Discovery Plus
Discovery Plus has an impressive lineup of unmissable content from 14 different networks, including Animal Planet, Discovery, the Food Network, History, Lifetime, OWN, the Science Network, and Travel.
Here’s our pick of the best shows you can watch on there right now:
|American Detective With Lt. Joe Kenda (2021)||Discovery Plus Original|
|Crikey! It's the Irwins (2018)||Animal Planet|
|Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (2006)||Food Network|
|Extraordinary Stories Behind Everyday Things (2021)||Magnolia Network|
|Fixer Upper – Welcome Home (2021)||Magnolia Network|
|How the Universe Works (2010)||Science Network|
|On the Case with Paula Zahn (2009)||Investigation Discovery|
|Remix My Space With Marsai Martin (2022)||Discovery Plus Original|
|Destination Fear (2019)||Travel Channel|
With one of the biggest collections of non-fiction content, Discovery Plus is stuffed full of fantastic documentaries, cooking shows, and sporting events. But it’s only available to stream in certain countries, such as the US, Canada, and the UK. The good news is that you can watch it from anywhere by using a reliable VPN to connect to a server in a country where Discovery Plus operates. NordVPN is our favorite option for this.
In addition, a VPN will enhance your online security by encrypting your data to protect it from hackers. It’ll also allow you to unblock other region-restricted content, along with a whole host of sites and services from around the world.
We hope we’ve answered all your questions about using a VPN to watch Discovery Plus from anywhere. If you have any further queries, let us know in the comments section below, and one of our experts will reply!
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Can I use a VPN to watch Discovery Plus?
Yes, it’s easy to use a VPN to bypass Discovery Plus’ region restrictions. All you need to do is use a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server in a location that has the rights to show Discovery Plus, such as the US.
How can I use a VPN to watch the Discovery Channel?
To access the Discovery Channel from anywhere, you need to use a VPN to connect to a server in the US. Once you’ve done that, log in to Discovery Plus. To find out more, read our guide on watching the Discovery Channel with a VPN.
Is Discovery Plus available to watch in every country?
No. Discovery Plus is only available in the US, Canada, Brazil, parts of Asia, and most of Europe. If you want to access the platform from anywhere else, use a VPN to connect to a server in the US.
Is it illegal to watch Discovery Plus with a VPN?
No, it’s completely legal to use a VPN to watch Discovery Plus. However, it may go against Discovery Plus’ Terms of Service. It’s also important to remember that there are some countries, such as China, Russia, and Turkey, have banned the use of VPNs for any reason.