Best ad blockers for games
Whether you’re enjoying games online, on mobile apps, or even console games, the last thing you want to experience is annoying ads disrupting your gameplay. Fortunately, you can easily avoid annoying pop-up ads, banner ads, or other forms of advertising from disturbing you amid a heated game by using a reliable ad blocker.
In addition to minimizing distractions, ad blockers are an excellent tool for games that improve performance and reduce data usage. Ads often consume valuable system resources and bandwidth, causing games to lag or slow down. Blocking these ads allows you to enjoy smoother gameplay and faster loading times.
However, not all ad blockers are effective. Therefore, we tested a dozen services to select the 5 best ad blockers that have proven to be highly reliable, offering seamless ad-blocking capabilities without causing any adverse effects on gameplay. So, continue reading and find the best provider that prevents all interstitials so you can enjoy uninterrupted gaming sessions.
Top 5 best ad blockers for games in 2024
- Total Adblock – best ad blocker for games in 2024
- NordVPN Threat Protection – reliable ad blocker for games
- Surfshark CleanWeb – functional ad blocker for unlimited devices
- Atlas VPN Shield – top ad blocker for Android games
- Proton VPN NetShield – ad blocker with a VPN for online games
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get NordVPN Threat Protection, now 67% OFF + gift!
What to look for in the best ad blocker for games?
When choosing an ad blocker for gaming, you should focus on the provider’s ability to remove ads. Additionally, it should be compatible with your gaming device. Hence, here is a list of specific factors to keep in mind when selecting the best ad blocker for games:
|Types of ads blocked:
|Pop-ups, banners, in-video, social media ads, etc.
|Apps, browser extensions
|Filters, whitelisting, tracker blocker
- Ad blocking capabilities. Your top priority should be choosing a reliable ad blocker that can effectively remove different ads while gaming on any device, platform, or website.
- Compatibility with gaming devices. Ensure that the ad blocker you choose is compatible with your gaming device. Look for an ad blocker that works seamlessly on Windows PC, macOS, iOS, or Android devices and also offers extensions for Chrome, Safari, and other browsers.
- Extra features. Often ad blockers are accompanied by a range of security features, such as a Virtual Private Network (VPN) or antivirus software. Therefore, select the service provider with additional security features that can enhance and secure your gaming experience even more.
- Price. When choosing an ad blocker, evaluate its price-to-quality ratio, additional security features, and effectiveness in blocking ads while gaming. We suggest exploring our detailed list of the best ad blockers for games, which weighs each provider’s capabilities vs price.
The best games ad blockers – our detailed list:
We have carefully tested and selected each recommended ad blocker based on its ability to block ads while gaming, compatibility with various devices, security features, and the price-to-quality ratio. So, continue reading as we provide a detailed review of the advantages and limitations of the best ad blockers for games.
1. Total Adblock – best ad blocker for iPhone games
|Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Edge
|24/7 live chat, e-mail, phone line, guides and articles, FAQs
|🔥Get 80% OFF Total Adblock!🔥
Total Adblock is a top-tier ad blocker pick for games, designed to eliminate pop-up ads, block intrusive interstitials, and mute all notifications in your browser and apps. Therefore, it’s a reliable choice for an uninterrupted gaming experience, especially for blocking ads on your iPhone.
Ad blocking capabilities. This provider effectively blocked all types of ads and pop-ups during the Can You Block It test, leaving no room for unwanted elements. Additionally, it successfully blocks advertisements and trackers while playing online games. The only exception was error trackers, which the Total Adblock extension did not get rid of.
Features. Total Adblock Android and iOS versions include blocking filters, tracking protection, social media, and annoyance filters. The latter blocks cookies, pop-ups, and third-party widgets. Also, while some ads are malicious, Total Adblock covers it too – the package includes antivirus that protects you from malware while gaming.
Compatibility. Total Adblock app is compatible with iOS and Android devices. While Total Adblock doesn’t have an app for desktop devices, you can use it as a browser extension on popular browsers such as Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, and Opera.
Total Adblock is a budget-friendly ad blocker that’ll cost you just $1.99/month. And if you want to test whether the service is for you, there’s a 7-day free trial.
Find out more about this ad blocker in our Total Adblock review.
2. NordVPN Threat Protection – reliable ad blocker for games
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Brave, Opera, and Edge
|24/7 live chat, e-mail, guides and articles, FAQs
|🔥Get NordVPN Threat Protection, now 67% OFF + gift!🔥
NordVPN Threat Protection is another reliable ad blocker for games, providing excellent ad-blocking capabilities, compatibility with major OS, and an excellent feature suite. It’s bundled with a VPN package, making it a top-notch security and ad blocking solution for gamers.
Ad blocking capabilities. During our tests on Windows, Threat Protection proved to be highly effective in blocking ads during gaming sessions. It also seamlessly removed ads on popular browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge. It performed equally great on iOS and macOS devices while gaming, eliminating pop-up ads, banner ads, and other intrusive elements. It did all of this while also successfully removing trackers.
Features. NordVPN Threat Protection offers a URL trimming feature, removing tracking parameters from visited URLs to enhance privacy. It also includes file-scanning functionality to prevent malware from infecting your device. On top of that, NordVPN comes with a VPN for a secure gaming experience online.
Compatibility. Threat Protection ensures compatibility across various OS, offering dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. It’s also compatible with popular browsers such as Safari, Chrome, Opera, Brave, and Edge. However, you can only get the Lite version on mobile. For example, Threat Protection works without connection to the VPN, while for Threat Protection Lite to work – you must be connected to a NordVPN server. More so, only Threat Protection can delete downloaded malware.
You can access NordVPN Threat Protection with any NordVPN plan, with prices starting from $3.39/month. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can take it for a trial spin risk-free.
Learn more in our NordVPN Threat Protection review.
3. Surfshark CleanWeb – ad blocker for unlimited devices
|Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, FireTV, Android TV
|24/7 live chat, e-mail, guides and articles, FAQs
|🔥81% OFF Surfshark CleanWeb 2.0 + 2 months FREE!🔥
Surfshark CleanWeb and CleanWeb 2.0 features make this provider an excellent ad blocker for games, capable of efficiently blocking ads, pop-ups, banners, cookie consent pop-ups, trackers, video ads, and even malicious content.
Ad blocking capabilities. Our tests proved that this provider can block in-game ads, pop-ups, banner ads, and more. The browser extension and mobile apps worked flawlessly, and we noticed no issues on macOS. However, the Windows app was slower in blocking ads, but it did the job just seconds later.
Features. This ad blocker comes with the whole feature-packed Surfshark One bundle. It includes a top-tier VPN for extra security, a data breach alert, and even a private search engine for anonymous gaming and browsing.
Compatibility. Surfshark CleanWeb is available on most devices and operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS. More so, you can use the CleanWeb 2.0 feature on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers as an extension.
You can have an ad-free gaming experience on unlimited devices with an ad blocker and Surfshark VPN for just $2.29/month. And the Surfshark One will cost you $3.98/month.
Get more details in our in-depth Surfshark CleanWeb review.
4. Atlas VPN Shield – inexpensive Android ad blocker for games
|Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows
|24/7 live chat, e-mail, articles and guides, FAQs
|🔥Get 86% OFF + 6 months FREE on AtlasVPN Shield!🔥
Atlas VPN Shield is a reliable and affordable ad blocker for games that also includes a VPN service. It blocks ads during games while also protecting against trackers and malware.
Ad blocking capabilities. We found that Atlas VPN Shield can effectively block ads while gaming across popular browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Edge during our testing. It also performed excellently on iOS and Android when playing games within apps. It scored 74 out of 100 points in the AdBlock Test.
Features. With the Shield feature, Atlas VPN effectively safeguards your privacy by preventing third-party tracking. The best part about this provider is that Atlas VPN is primarily a VPN that is capable of encrypting your online activities, shielding your data and online activities from pesky eyes, and ensuring privacy even from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Therefore, you’re also completely protected while gaming.
Compatibility. Atlas VPN Shield works on the most popular operating systems and blocks ads on Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows. Although it does not offer browser extensions, the app versions effectively remove annoying ads across a range of browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, and Opera.
You can eliminate ads with the Atlas VPN Shield feature for as little as $1.64/month. And if you want to try it out first, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Atlas VPN review for more details.
5. Proton VPN NetShield – ad blocker and VPN for online games
|Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows
|E-mail, guides and articles, FAQs
|🔥Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN NetShield!🔥
Proton VPN NetShield is a great ad blocker that blocks ads on games without any hassle. It is part of a comprehensive VPN package, and its excellent ad-blocking capabilities also prevent tracking activities and safeguard against malware.
Ad blocking capabilities. Based on our tests, Proton VPN NetShield effectively blocks ads on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Edge browsers for both Windows and macOS. However, it wasn’t as great on iOS and Android devices. This provider couldn’t remove push notification requests, pop-under ads, and images.
Features. Proton VPN's NetShield feature blocks DNS and provides users with three levels of protection. You can disable blocking, choose to block malware only or opt to block malware, ads, and trackers. However, it is worth noting that NetShield does not offer whitelisting functionality or detailed statistics regarding blocked content.
Compatibility. Proton VPN offers dedicated apps for a wide range of devices, including Windows, macOS, Android, Linux, and iOS. It doesn’t offer browser extensions, but you can still use apps to block ads while gaming.
You can enjoy an ad-free gaming experience by opting for the Proton VPN premium plan, which starts at $4.99/month. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee to test it out.
Learn more in the Proton VPN review.
How we selected and tested these games ad blockers
We tested dozens of ad blockers, focusing on their ability to effectively block intrusive ads during gaming sessions without disrupting the overall gaming experience. Then, we narrowed down the list of the top 5 ad blockers for games that not only excel at blocking ads but also include additional features and are compatible with various browsers and operating systems. Here’s how we tested and selected:
- Ad blocking while gaming. We rigorously tested each ad blocker while gaming online, on various apps and programs, and put them to a few tests on Can You Block It and AdBlock Test. This allowed us to propose only trustworthy ad blockers successfully blocking intrusive ads, pop-ups, and banner ads during our tests.
- Compatibility. Selected ad blockers have been chosen for their compatibility with major operating systems, including iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows, as well as popular web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, and others. Compatibility with these platforms was a vital factor in our testing process, as it ensures that the ad blockers are suitable for the platforms used for gaming purposes.
- Additional features. Our list of the best ad blockers comprises well-rounded providers offering versatile features for a secure gaming experience. For example, they include additional features such as antivirus protection or VPN.
- Price-to-quality ratio. We ensured you get a list of ad blockers that do the job and don’t break the bank. Chosen providers are budget-friendly options that block ads and offer privacy and anti-malware features.
Why do you need to block ads on your games' device?
Reasons for using ad blocker on your games' device vary from a need to improve the gaming performance to malware protection. Here's a list of the most essential reasons to use an ad blocker:
- Uninterrupted gaming experience. Ads can be annoying and highly disruptive during gameplay, especially when they appear at crucial moments. Therefore, blocking ads ensure you can have a smooth gaming experience without any distractions and interruptions.
- Better performance. Ads consume your system resources. For example, it might lower the network bandwidth or processing power, therefore affecting your gaming performance negatively. Ad blocker eliminates ads and optimizes your gaming performance so that you can enjoy it at full speed and resources.
- Malware protection. Ads are a convenient gateway for scamming and spreading malware. Ad blockers serve as a protective barrier that shields your device from scammers and phishing attempts.
- Security of your personal information and data. Some advertisers may collect your data and bombard you with personalized ads, especially while gaming on the web. Thus, an ad blocker stops ads and safeguards your privacy and personal information from trackers.
Why does my game have ads?
It’s most likely that your game has ads because of monetization and promotional reasons. However, there are more reasons why this can happen:
- Cross-promotion and advertisement. Various games can sometimes include ads to promote other games or products, especially those within the same company. This way, companies generate engagement for their new games.
- Income generation. If you play a game that costs you nothing or very little, you might be asked to watch a video ad in exchange for rewards or bonuses in the game. It happens because games, especially the free ones, incorporate ads to generate revenue.
- Lower cost for players. Sometimes games may include ads as a means to lower costs for players. For example, by providing a free or discounted game experience supported by ads, games can reach a wider player base while allowing their players to pay less for the service.
Are free ad blockers for games safe?
No, free ad blockers for games are not safe because being free comes with a hidden cost. For example, while a completely free ad blocker may not charge money, they may track your activities online, collect user data, and even sell it to third parties. This way, such no-cost providers generate profits.
Therefore, we recommend a safe ad-blocking solution that comes from our recommendation list. These ad blockers were carefully tested and chosen because of their unstained reputation. The best part is that ad-blocking providers come with a month-long money-back guarantee or even free trials, allowing you to test their effectiveness firsthand before committing. We suggest:
- Total Adblock – it comes with a 7-day free trial, meaning you can test the provider while gaming without any costs.
- NordVPN Threat Protection – a well-rounded ad blocker with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can take it for a trial spin, risk-free. There’s also a 7-day free trial included.
Ads while gaming can become a real burden, especially when some are displayed in the middle of a heated game. And if you’re playing a free game, in many cases, video ads are unskippable. Not to mention that often these ads are malicious or can even track your activities online. That’s why we recommend using an ad blocker.
Ad blockers for games effectively get rid of ads while gaming in apps, websites, etc. Since ads can eat up your device's resources, they also enhance your gaming experience by clearing them up. Ad blocker providers also save you money as many offer a free trial or a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Therefore, we recommend Total Adblock. For $1.99/month, you can successfully block ads on up to 6 devices and get a well-rounded protection with extra features such as a VPN.
More guides from Cybernews:
Why do mobile games have so many ads?
Mobile games have so many ads because gaming companies generate money by showcasing their players a bunch of ads. Often you might also be asked to watch a video for an in-game reward or bonus, and this happens because the company financially benefits from showing you the ad. However, you can block ads on mobile games by using an ad blocker like Total Adblock for just $1.99/month.
How do I get rid of ads on mobile games?
You can get rid of ads on mobile games by using a reliable ad blocker like Total Adblock. You get an ad-free game experience and can play games without interruptions on your device.