If you’re looking for an alternative to Norton, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ve included all the top candidates that could replace Norton.
Now, we’ve already thoroughly tested and vetted these antiviruses beforehand to ensure that each could hold its ground and be a worthy competitor to Norton. Malware detection rates, security features, and pricing, we’ve weighed all these aspects and more. The testing has shown TotalAV to be a prominent frontrunner.
Regardless, all antiviruses on this list are worth your time. Plus, for risk-free trials on your side, we’ve also made sure that all the shortlisted antiviruses have a free tier, a money-back guarantee, or both.
Let’s go through them and find you the best Norton alternative.
Top 5 best Norton alternatives
- TotalAV – best Norton alternative in 2024
- Bitdefender – best price-to-value Norton substitute
- NordVPN’s Threat Protection – secure replacement for Norton
- Surfshark Antivirus – all-rounded alternative to Norton
- Avira Antivirus – easy-to-use Norton antivirus substitute
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get TotalAV, now 84% OFF!
Why look for an alternative to Norton?
Norton is praised as one of the best antivirus software but it’s not without its flaws nor is it right for all users. Here are some reasons why you might want to switch to one of Norton's competitors:
- Higher cost. Norton’s entry plan costs $29.99/year for one device or $49.99/year for five devices and it comes with basic features. While those figures aren’t exorbitant, there are more affordable options like TotalAV ($19.00/year for three devices).
- No free plan. While it’s true that free plans usually come with limited features, some users are happy to accept the compromise. Unfortunately, that’s not an option with Norton since it doesn’t have a free version.
- Scattered functionalities. Many of Norton’s features open outside its app. So, you could find yourself juggling a new tab for each function, which isn’t exactly optimal. Its mobile app has the same troublesome issue where a lot of the features can only be used if you download separate apps.
Best Norton alternatives in 2024
If you’re thinking about switching to a Norton alternative, we have some options for you. Below, you’ll find all the best Norton alternatives that we’ve meticulously researched, tested, and selected. Each has its own unique strengths that make it a good substitute for Norton.
1. TotalAV – overall best Norton alternative
|Up to 6 devices
|Windows, macOS, iOS, Android
|Get TotalAV, now 84% OFF!
TotalAV is the best Norton alternative, due to its many security features and reasonable pricing.
To start, numerous independent testing labs have given it their stamp of approval. A test by AV-Test revealed that it successfully blocked 97% of zero-day malware attacks in 2022. Meanwhile, AV-Comparatives awarded it an Advanced+ rating.
Additionally, TotalAV’s extensive features include real-time and ransomware protection, malware removal, phishing protection, disk cleaner, and web shield. Premium plans also get a VPN, while the highest tier even gets an ad blocker and password vault.
Now in terms of price, plans start from $19.00/year for 3 devices. Additionally, you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee too.
To read more about the provider, check out our full TotalAV review.
2. Bitdefender – good value Norton alternative
|Up to 5 devices
|Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux
|Get Bitdefender for up to 50% OFF!
Another good alternative to Norton, Bitdefender offers top-notch malware protection.
Listed as Advanced+ by AV-Comparatives, Bitdefender has a very high malware detection score. Additionally, it snagged AV-Test’s Top Product certificate by scoring the full 6 points across three categories.
Moreover, Bitdefender offers ample features, including real-time protection, Advanced Threat Defense, ransomware protection, a firewall, and a VPN. Plus, unlike Norton, which includes parental control only in its premium plans, the feature is available in all of Bitdefender’s paid plans.
Now talking about price, the costs start at $29.99/year for a single device. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read more about this product in our full Bitdefender Antivirus review.
3. NordVPN's Threat Protection – malware protection with a first-class VPN
|Up to 6 devices
|Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS
|Get NordVPN Antivirus – 67% OFF + gift!
NordVPN is a highly-rated VPN provider that recently made its move into antiviruses in its bid to become an all-in-one provider that could serve as an alternative for Norton.
Now included in its subscriptions is Threat Protection – a feature that essentially does everything you’d expect from Norton antivirus.
Working in the background, Threat Protection protects against malware, blocks tracking and ads, identifies threats, and more. Threat Protection aside, NordVPN comes with plenty of other features. This includes a dark web monitor, dedicated IP, and 256-bit AES encryption.
As for the pricing, NordVPN plans start from $3.39/month for 6 devices. Additionally, you can also make use of the provider's 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read more about NordVPN’s Threat Protection feature.
4. Surfshark Antivirus – all-around Norton alternative with excellent VPN
|Up to 5 devices
|Windows, macOS, Android
|Get Surfshark Antivirus - 77% OFF + 2 months FREE!
An extremely popular VPN, Surfshark also includes antivirus in its all-in-one security bundle, Surfshark One that easily rivals with Norton. A lightweight solution, the antivirus protects against all types of cyber threats, including malware, trojans, and worms.
Also included in the Surfshark One security suite are some sweet features. For starters, there’s Surfshark’s powerful VPN. Other features include scheduled scans, a secure search engine, breach detection alert, and Incogni.
As for the prices, Surfshark One starts from $48.86/year for 5 devices. Plus, there’s a standard 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark Antivirus review to find out more about this provider.
5. Avira Antivirus – user-friendly Norton alternative
|Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
|Get 1 year of Avira at 43% OFF!
Avira is a good alternative to replace Norton not only due to its good protection capabilities but also numerous useful security features. Plus, it has a free plan for testing.
To begin with, Avira Antivirus has proven its mettle in various independent lab tests – it scored a 99.98% protection rate in AV-Comparatives’ tests and was even awarded an Advanced+ ranking.
Moreover, Avira’s diverse features are a definite pull, too. Among them are real-time protection, multiple scanning options, ransomware protection, phishing and scam protection, Phantom VPN, and password manager extension.
Lastly, talking about price, Avira’s paid plans start from $30.99/year. Moreover, there’s an impressive 60-day money-back guarantee for you to make use of.
Read more about this provider in our full Avira Antivirus review.
Which Norton alternative should I pick?
The best Norton alternative for you depends on your personal needs and preferences. Fortunately, all the antiviruses listed above are up to par in terms of quality, so, you can’t go wrong with any of them.
However, if you’re still stuck choosing a Norton substitute, here are some factors to consider:
- Free version. While free plans can be limiting, it’s a good way to test out an antivirus before vomiting long-term. Besides that, it’s also a vital option for those on a budget and unable to invest much into an antivirus. In this case, you can check out TotalAV, Bitdefender, and Avira, which offer completely free plans.
- Simultaneous connections. For added convenience, your antivirus should allow simultaneous connections, so you can protect all your devices. Some providers are more generous than others in this regard. However, most antiviruses usually allow around up to 5 to 6 devices at once.
- Features. Most quality antiviruses now offer all-in-one packages with ample additional features besides malware protection. Keep an eye out for things like a VPN, password manager, data breach monitoring, a trustworthy firewall, and more.
- Money-back guarantees. In case you change your mind or if the antivirus doesn’t live up to expectations, choose a provider that offers a money-back guarantee. Most cybersecurity solutions have a 30-day money-back guarantee. Others like Avira allow up to a whopping 60 days.
How we tested these Norton alternatives
To find the best Norton alternative, we’ve tested dozens of popular antivirus solutions. During our research, we considered various factors to ensure that our shortlist will be up to standard.
Here’s a brief look at them:
- Malware protection. To shortlist only the most secure antivirus programs, we check their malware detection rates in tests performed by independent testing labs such as AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.
- Zero-day threat scanning results. To get even more information on each provider, we’ve run our own zero-day threat scans.
- Security features. While the main priority of an antivirus is to protect against malware, Norton is a 360-degree solution. So, it’s only right that we also look at alternatives that offer all-in-one solutions or additional features. That’s why the Norton alternatives above all come with extra features like a VPN, a password manager, parental controls, and/or a secure search engine.
- Compatibility. If you wish to secure multiple devices with different operating systems, it’s important to make sure that your chosen antivirus is compatible with a wide range of different operating systems.
- Pricing. For certain users, Norton’s pricing is a bit steep. Thus, for its alternatives, we’ve selected reliable replacements that either come for a lower price point or offer better value.
Do I really need an antivirus tool?
Yes, you absolutely need an antivirus tool if you’re kicking Norton to the curb. A critical additional layer of security, the antivirus software protects your devices from various cyber threats like viruses, worms, Trojans, and even the dreaded ransomware. Plus, many of them also help to remove frustrating ads and pop-ups.
On top of that, a large number of antiviruses now come in a bundle with other cybersecurity services – most of them crucial for a safe online experience. For instance, a password manager helps you securely manage your credentials. Meanwhile, a VPN encrypts your internet traffics and bypasses geo-restrictions.
To sum it all up, malware and other cyber threats are getting increasingly sophisticated. An antivirus is a necessary addition and the first line of defense against these threats.