How to Install NordVPN on Amazon Fire Stick
Amazon Fire Stick is a wonderful little device, letting you turn any HDMI-capable screen into a smart TV, with all of your favorite shows and networks in one place. And when you combine a Fire Stick with a VPN, it becomes even better. With a service like NordVPN, you can make it appear as if you're using the Fire Stick from a different location.
This is extremely useful if you're traveling around the world and wish to keep access to all of your favorite shows – as well as if you want to access content not yet available in your own country.
Furthermore, data security and privacy are now more important than ever. IP-masking technology can keep your public data secure from prying eyes, letting you enjoy all the excellent shows with full peace of mind.
Fortunately, Amazon offers a native NordVPN app for Fire Stick. A NordVPN subscription can be used to protect up to six devices. If you want your Fire Stick to be one of them, follow these simple steps to install NordVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick.
Install NordVPN on Fire Stick: a quick guide
- Sign up for a NordVPN plan on the product's website
- Navigate to Search icon on your Fire Stick and type in NordVPN
- Install the VPN app and connect to server
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Why choose NordVPN to unblock Amazon Fire Stick devices?
NordVPN is widely accepted as one of the best VPN apps for Fire Stick. If you want fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, ironclad security, and limitless options, NordVPN is hard to beat.
Here are some of the key reasons why:
- NordVPN offers a native app for Amazon Fire Stick that is optimized for streaming. Setting everything up is as easy as it gets – and you can use the same account on six devices simultaneously.
- NordVPN has lightning-fast speeds and low latency compared to other VPNs. With unlimited data, and no bandwidth or throttling limitations, it's suited to stream high-definition content without significant delays or buffering.
- It has one of the most extensive server networks in the world. With over 5,000 servers in 59 countries, it doesn't just make the network more stable, it also makes it easy to avoid geo-restrictions on content. By strategically setting your VPN to a different country, you can access different Netflix libraries and geo-restricted content.
- NordVPN employs excellent security measures. Military-grade 256-bit encryption protocol, automated kill switch, and independently audited zero-logs, and privacy policies are there for full peace of mind. NordVPN is also based in Panama, a haven for strong privacy laws.
NordVPN is not free, but new users can access a 30-day risk-free trial period – so you can try it on your Fire Stick without risk!
How to Install NordVPN on Fire Stick or Fire TV
There is more than one method to download NordVPN on Fire Stick: let's have a look at the two main options for that.
Method #1: How to setup NordVPN on Fire Stick
Installing and setting up NordVPN is fast and easy. Follow these simple steps:
1. On your Fire Stick home screen, select the magnifying-glass “Search” option.
2. Search “NordVPN App” from the search window.
3. Select the “NordVPN” app from the “Apps & Games” selection. It should be the top selection.
4. Select “Get” to download the NordVPN app to your Fire Stick.
5. When the app is installed, select “Open.”
6. You should arrive at the NordVPN home screen. In the future, this screen can be accessed by locating NordVPN in the “Apps” section of your Fire Stick home screen.
Once you arrive at the home screen for the first time, current NordVPN subscribers can select “Log In” to sign into their account. New users can select “Sign Up” to create a new NordVPN account using Fire Stick.
7. Enter your NordVPN credentials (email and password) and log into your NordVPN account.
8. To activate your VPN, select “Connect Now.”
9. Select the desired country or specialty server for your VPN.
10. Click “OK” to approve the connection request. When the VPN is active, a dark “Key” icon will appear at the top of your Fire Stick screen.
Method #2: How to Install NordVPN APK on Fire Stick
Before Amazon debuted the NordVPN native app, it was possible to connect to the NordVPN network on your Fire Stick using a NordVPN Android Package (APK).
This method is mostly obsolete because it won’t appear in your Apps list and doesn’t support the official Fire Stick remote, but you can still access the NordVPN network this way. The steps are as follows:
1. From the Fire Stick home screen, select Settings > Device > Developer Options.
2. Enable “ADB Debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
3. Go back to your home screen, select “Search,” and install the “Downloader” app.
4. Open the Downloader app and give the app access to your photos, media, and files.
5. Enter the URL where the NordVPN APK is located and select “Download.”
6. Return to the Home screen and select Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
7. Select “Launch Application,” find the NordVPN APK, and launch it. Since the NordVPN APK does not respond to the Fire Stick remote, you will need to have a Bluetooth mouse connected to control the program.
NordVPN, Kodi, and Fire Stick
The open-source streaming app Kodi has a rich library of content, from movies to TV shows to P2P content. Users are understandably attracted to the value it offers, but should take precautions in terms of the safety and legal risks the app presents.
The open-source nature of Kodi means content can be added from numerous sources. Some of them may be unsafe or illegal to stream from.
Installing NordVPN on your Fire Stick reduces those risks significantly. NordVPN offers a combination of military-grade encryption and best-in-class protection.
The encryption prevents corporate or government agencies from spying on your streaming activity. This will shield you from unintended consequences should you unknowingly stumble on an illegal stream.
The protection offered by NordVPN stops a potentially unsafe Kodi add-on from being used as a vector to steal your data, install malware, or commit other acts of cybercrime.
It is easy to use NordVPN to watch Kodi on Fire Stick. Simply download and activate the NordVPN app on your Fire Stick, and you can stream Kodi content in safety and privacy.
Can I use a free VPN for Fire Stick?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Fire Stick, but such an option will have its issues, especially when compared to premium VPN options, that are better suited for this task.
These are the limitations you should expect on a free VPN:
- Low bandwidth or throttling.
- Reduced loading speed.
- Inadequate security.
However, some free VPNs for Fire Stick have a decent reputation.
For example, there's Windscribe, which is free to download on Fire Stick and requires no payment details to be entered. One of the big drawbacks is that a free Windscribe account, although it allows for unlimited devices, only allows 10GB in protected streaming per month. That’s about three hours in HD and ten hours in SD. Without an email address connected to the account, that allowance drops to 2GB.
Another capable free alternative is Hide.me. It also offers 10GB of free data without requiring any payment details. Additionally, it enjoys marginally faster load speeds, although some buffering may occur even when streaming in SD. There are some significant downsides, though. You can only use one connection at a time on hide.me, making you unable to use it on anything else but a limited Fire Stick connection.
Can NordVPN be used on Fire Stick?
Yes. NordVPN offers a native Fire Stick app that you can download from the Amazon Apps marketplace. A NordVPN subscription includes up to 6 devices, so if you haven’t used up all six yet, a Fire Stick could be one of them.
How does NordVPN work on FireStick?
When you download and activate NordVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick, NordVPN masks your browser activity through encryption and anonymization. You can even choose to route your signal through a virtual private network in a different country, which can allow you access to geo-restricted content.