Maintaining your privacy in India is challenging. Especially since the government is proactively trying to track your behavior and preferences online. On top of that, the government is also censoring popular social media sites that sometimes become inaccessible from India.
Getting an India VPN can help you bypass any restrictions and unlock content, like Disney+ Hotstar, gaming websites, and others. Also, it includes advanced security features to improve your privacy when in India and abroad.
For this reason, we’ve tested at least 20 different providers to find the best VPN for India for you. Read on to find out what we’ve picked.
Top 5 best India VPNs
- Surfshark – best VPN for India overall
- NordVPN – top-class India VPN for security
- PureVPN – great VPN with many Indian servers
- IPVanish – good VPN to use in India
- PrivateVPN – solid India VPN choice
What to look for in a VPN for India?
Beware that not all VPNs are equally equipped with necessary features to work in India. In fact, many providers are closing their physical VPN servers due to government requirements to collect user information. Others circumvent the system by offering virtual servers.
So If you’re not sure which one to pick, here’s what you should consider when choosing the best India VPN:
- Indian or close-by servers. Look for VPNs that can offer Indian servers or ones in neighboring countries. This way, you can use them to not only improve your security but also unblock geo-restricted content.
- Speed and security. It’s also essential that a VPN would use strong encryption to protect your data and provide speedy services. Just like providers on our lists of the most secure VPNs and fastest VPN services.
- Obfuscation. Check if the VPN offers obfuscated servers. They are designed to help you hide the fact you’re using a VPN and avoid VPN blocks. This way you can access restricted websites in India and remain completely anonymous.
- Independently audited no-logs policy. Since the Indian government is actively monitoring users’ online activities, you should seek a VPN that doesn’t collect private information. A strict no-logs policy ensures that any personally identifiable data remains private.
- Specialty servers. Best India VPNs should also offer specialized servers, like P2P, Double VPN, and the ones optimized for streaming. They can help you to unblock streaming sites, torrent, and improve security easier.
The best VPNs for India – our detailed list:
After completing a thorough research, we’ve compiled a detailed list of best VPNs for India down below. They were selected according to their usability for Indian users, security features, and unblocking capabilities.
1. Surfshark – overall best VPN for India in 2022
|Servers in India:||20 servers|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 83% OFF Surfshark + 3 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is the best VPN for India since it offers more than just 20 virtual Indian servers. There are strong security features, excellent performance speeds, advanced tools for privacy, and it unblocks popular streaming media with no troubles.
Security and privacy: to help you protect your personal information, Surfshark offers a combination of AES-256 and XChaCha20 encryption. On top of that, it follows a strict no-logs policy meaning that the VPN doesn’t collect any details that could personally identify you.
Performance: we’ve tried both mobile (iOS, Android) and desktop (Mac, Windows) VPN apps and the results are impressive. They are very user-friendly and easy to use as well as provide a fast and stable connection with WireGuard when using the Indian servers. You can use this VPN on unlimited devices.
Additional features: it’s worth mentioning that this VPN has RAM-only servers that get wiped after each reboot, meaning that even the slightest pieces of data are being continuously removed. Also, there’s obfuscation that helps hide the fact you’re using a VPN in India. If you’re interested in even more protection – there’s a Surfshark One bundle that includes an antivirus software.
Streaming: during our testing, we had no problems unblocking all popular streaming services, like Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar, Amazon Prime, and others. This VPN not only allowed us to watch exclusive Indian content but also access libraries of other countries.
Surfshark pricing is definitely affordable, starting from just $2.21/month for unlimited devices. You can even try it without any risk with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our full Surfshark VPN review for more details.
- 20 virtual and RAM-only servers in India
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Obfuscation with the Camouflage Mode
- Strict no-logs policy
- Unblocks all popular streaming platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t offer a free trial for Windows
2. NordVPN – top VPN with strong security features for India
|Servers in India:||None|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
Even though NordVPN doesn’t have Indian servers, it’s still a king of the VPN market and offers RAM-only servers located close to India – in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, and Indonesia.
Security and privacy: for robust data protection, NordVPN uses an advanced combination of AES-256 and XChaCha20 encryption. In simple terms, it encodes sensitive information so that it would be impossible to crack.
Performance: you can reach highly impressive speeds since this provider offers the NordLynx protocol which is its own take on the well-known WireGuard. Also, it has super intuitive apps for all major platforms.
Additional features: with NordVPN you also get quite a few additional features, such as obfuscated and double VPN servers, as well as Threat Protection with the CyberSec feature. Meaning that you can not only remain undetected but also stop intrusive ads and avoid potentially dangerous websites.
Streaming: when we tried this VPN, it unblocked all popular streaming sites for us without any troubles. That includes Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar, and others. What’s even better is that there were no buffering or other issues so we enjoyed an amazing streaming experience.
NordVPN subscription starts from only $3.09/month for 6 devices with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Read the full NordVPN review for more information.
- Huge RAM-only server selection in many countries
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Super-fast speeds with NordLynx
- Obfuscation feature
- Unblocks all major streaming sites
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only has servers in neighboring countries to India
3. PureVPN – great VPN option to get an Indian IP address
|Servers in India:||Over 45 servers|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
PureVPN is an excellent VPN choice if you want to get an Indian IP address. It has over 45 servers virtually located in India and many more in other countries, like Malaysia, Bangladesh, and the UAE.
Security and privacy: this provider is the very first one to have an always-on audit of its no-logs policy. Additionally, it employs the unbreakable 256-bit AES encryption to protect data from the outsiders.
Performance: as for speeds, you should expect great performance since PureVPN supports the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol. When we tested its Indian servers, there were no connectivity issues.
Additional features: when it comes to extras, this VPN offers obfuscated servers – once connected, nobody in India can detect you’re using a VPN. Also, some servers support P2P connections so you can enjoy torrenting.
Streaming: during our tests, PureVPN allowed us to easily access Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other websites. There’s even a Proxy Control feature allowing you to turn off encryption to achieve better speeds for streaming.
The subscription plans cost from $1.99/month for 10 simultaneous connections. What’s worth mentioning is that you get an extended money-back guarantee of 31 days.
Learn more about this provider in our detailed PureVPN review.
- Many servers in India
- Always-on audit
- Works with all major streaming platforms
- Obfuscated servers
- Affordable price
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Some features don’t work with WireGuard
4. IPVanish – good India VPN for unlimited devices
|Servers in India:||4 servers|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 69% OFF IPVanish + Antivirus 🔥|
IPVanish is another good VPN for India since it has 4 Indian servers and allows unlimited simultaneous connections. In addition, it has close-by servers in Malaysia, the UAE, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
Security and privacy: in order to ensure robust data protection, this VPN employs the industry standard AES-256 encryption and complies with a strict no-logs policy. The latter one has been independently audited as well.
Performance: the speeds of IPVanish are good since it supports WireGuard – currently the fastest available tunneling protocol on the market. Also, it has user-friendly apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
Additional features: this provider mainly covers the basic security needs with features, like a kill switch. The only additional extra is the ability to use obfuscated servers to prevent anyone from knowing you’re using a VPN.
Streaming: we’ve unblocked Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, and a few other streaming sites. However, IPVanish didn’t manage to work with DAZN, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video for us. Despite that, I'd still consider it as a decent VPN option for streaming.
You can get a subscription from $3.33/month for unlimited devices. That also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Look at our IPVanish review to learn more.
- 4 virtual servers in India
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Second-year prices get higher
- Headquartered in a Five Eyes country
5. PrivateVPN – solid VPN with virtual Indian servers
|Servers in India:||Number not disclosed|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
With PrivateVPN you can get the essential features you need from a decent VPN for India. It offers servers in India, and neighboring countries, like the UAE, Malaysia, and Thailand.
Security and privacy: for protection, this VPN uses the military-grade encryption which is known to be uncrackable even by brute force attacks. On top of that, it doesn’t collect user-related data itself as there’s a no-logs policy. But it hasn’t been audited yet.
Performance: during our tests, PrivateVPN speeds were decent but not great. That’s because it doesn’t support the WireGuard, only OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP protocols. For the best performance with Indian servers, we recommend opting for OpenVPN.
Additional features: from the side of extras, this provider can help you hide the fact you’re rerouting your traffic with the Stealth VPN feature and customize your encryption. You can choose from 128 or 256-bit versions and CBC or GCM modes.
Streaming: even though PrivateVPN doesn’t have a massive server fleet, it worked with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, and YouTube for us with no problems. It was a pleasant experience with no buffering or other issues.
You can get this VPN from $2.00/month for 6 simultaneous connections with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Get more details in our full PrivateVPN review.
- Indian server selection
- Wallet-friendly price
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No WireGuard
- No independent audit
How we tested and selected these India VPNs
In order to compile a list of truly best VPNs for India, we’ve evaluated the offerings of over 20 VPN providers. Each of them was compared according to the following criteria:
- Availability of servers. We’ve looked at how many servers the VPN has as well as the number of Indian ones. Only the providers that offer servers in India and close-by countries were selected.
- Security measures. Top-class VPNs employ AES-256 and XChaCha20 encryption, offer obfuscated servers and a reliable kill switch. So only those VPNs that tick all the boxes were included in our list.
- Level of privacy. Since the Indian government is known to be tracking user activities, we’ve picked VPNs that can help achieve complete online anonymity. For that, they must include strict no-logs policies, operate from privacy-friendly locations, and be independently audited by third parties.
- Speed and performance. To find out whether a VPN can offer a fast and stable connection, we’ve used our own VPN speed test tool. Most of the selected providers support the well-known WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Unblocking capabilities. Since users in India sometimes cannot access various popular social networking, streaming, and other websites, we’ve tested whether VPNs are capable of bypassing geo-restrictions. Our selected providers can easily help you change your IP address to access any site.
Why do you need a VPN in India?
If you’re unsure whether you need a VPN for India, here are the main reasons why you should get one:
- Protecting your privacy. It’s known that the Indian government is trying to monitor people’s online activities. A VPN in this case can prevent your ISP from tracking your behavior when browsing online and providing such information to the government.
- Unblocking popular social networking sites. India is trying to limit Internet freedom and is having court cases with Meta, Google, and Twitter. Some users report being unable to access such social networks for some time. Luckily, a VPN can help you change your Facebook location to unblock the platform along with many others.
- Unlocking desired games. Unfortunately, India is also prohibiting access to various games, such as PUBG, Mafia City or Rules of Survival. However, a VPN can help you bypass these restrictions. For example, get a VPN for Mobile Legends to play it in India.
- Accessing P2P and streaming sites. Since India is actively banning various websites, there’s a strong chance that some of file-sharing and streaming pages can be blacklisted as well. For that, you can use a streaming VPN or a torrenting VPN to bypass any bans.
Best India VPNs compared
|Servers||3200+ servers in 95 countries||5500+ servers in 59 countries||6500+ servers in 78 countries||2000+ servers in 50 countries||200+ servers in 63 countries|
|Servers in India||20||0||45+||4||Number not disclosed|
|Close-by servers||Bangladesh, Bhutan, Malaysia, Laos, Thailand||Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia||Malaysia, Bangladesh, the UAE||Malaysia, the UAE, Hong Kong, Taiwan||The UAE, Malaysia, Thailand|
|Streaming||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, DAZN||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video, and more|
|Review||Surfshark VPN review||NordVPN review||PureVPN review||IPVanish review||PrivateVPN review|
How to get an Indian IP address with a VPN
If you want to change your location and virtually appear in India, a VPN can help you. Here’s a short guide showing how to get an Indian IP address with a VPN:
- Choose a reliable VPN that has servers in India. We recommend Surfshark.
- Install the VPN app and register an account.
- Pick and connect to a server in India.
- Now you’re all set to enjoy an Indian IP address.
VPN data law and bans in India
According to the law, VPN services are not banned in India. However, in 2022 the government has stated that VPNs operating in India must collect and store the following information for up to 5 years:
- User names,
- IP addresses,
- Email addresses,
- Data stamps,
- Home addresses,
- Other personal data.
Also, if the relevant authorities ask for this information, the VPN service provider must comply. As a result, many companies have shut down their physical servers in India. Others have found a way to circumvent the system and established virtual servers to which the law cannot be applied.
Which VPN offers India-based servers?
Since the requirement for VPN providers to collect and store user-related information has been put in place by the Indian government, many of them have decided to shut down their servers in India. Luckily, there are a few top-class VPNs that still offer virtual India-based servers or physical servers in the neighboring countries:
|Provider||Servers in India||Servers in close-by countries|
Indian content you can watch with a VPN
In case you’re visiting another country on a business trip or holiday, a VPN can help you bypass geo-restrictions and watch Indian content from anywhere. Here’s a summary of the most popular streaming services and movies you can access with the best VPN for India:
|Streaming platform||Exclusive content|
|Disney+ Hotstar||Good Luck Jerry (2022), Mission Mangal (2019), Bala (2019), Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013), M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story (2016)|
|Netflix||Morbius (2022), Uncharted (2022), Becoming Witch (2022), Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City (2021)|
|Amazon Prime||10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), 10 000 BC (2008), Aaina (1993), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), The Godfather (1972)|
|JioCinema||Masaan (2016), One Day: Justice Delivered (2019), The Imitation Game (2014), Ramprasad Ki Tehrvi (2019), Stree (2018), Lukka Chuppi (2019)|
Free VPNs for India
Unfortunately, there are no free VPNs with Indian servers. Or at least any that come from reputable VPN service providers and are safe to use.
That’s because fighting the Indian government’s mandate to collect user-related information is expensive. And none of the free VPN providers can afford it, especially when they don’t charge for their services.
However, we suggest using Proton VPN or Atlas VPN if you don’t need Indian servers. Even though they have data caps and limited features, you get a basic level of security and access to a few servers in countries like the USA or the Netherlands.
But the best alternative to free VPNs for India is to use what premium VPNs are offering in a smart way:
- Surfshark. You can use all 20 Indian servers on unlimited devices to improve your security or unblock popular streaming sites free of charge by taking advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee. In addition, there’s a free 7-day trial for Mac, iOS, and Android users. And the price of a subscription starts from as low as $2.21/month if you do decide to pay after all.
- NordVPN. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use to access over 5500 servers in 59 locations, secure your online activities, and bypass geo-restrictions. Android users can even extend the free usage period by claiming a 7-day trial. Once these offerings expire, the subscription prices don't bite either – starting from only $3.09/month.
Retaining your privacy in India might be challenging since the government is actively trying to monitor users’ online activities. Fortunately, the best VPN for India, like Surfshark, can help you protect your traffic and all sensitive information.
Furthermore, you can connect to any of x servers in x locations to unblock global streaming libraries or get an Indian IP address and watch your regular home shows from anywhere in the world.
If you’ve already tried using a VPN for India, please share your experience with us in the comments below!
What's the best VPN for India?
The best VPN for India is Surfshark. It has 20 Indian servers, doesn’t collect user-related information, gives unlimited simultaneous connections, and easily unblocks most popular streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
Are VPNs legal in India?
Yes, using a VPN in India is legal. However, the Indian government has passed a new legislation which states that VPN providers must log user-related information. As a result, many companies have exited the Indian market or switched to using virtual servers instead of the physical ones.
Which country VPN is fastest for India?
You can get the fastest connection if you choose a VPN that has servers in India. However, if you pick one that doesn’t, then connect to a country closest to India. Our tests show that the best option is Bangladesh, Bhutan, the UAE, and Thailand.