Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV in 2021
Nvidia Shield plugs into your TV and connects you to all the big streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. But, depending on your location, content from other regions - like the USA, or the UK - may be geo-blocked. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can fix that. With a VPN, you’ll be able to access all the geo-restricted content you like!
But you’ll have to find the right VPN. Nvidia Shield TV is powered by Android, so you’ll need a VPN with a compatible app, and one that is proven to unblock streaming sites. Don’t worry, because we’ve already figured out which VPNs are worth your consideration.
Read on to find out all about the Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV in 2021.
Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield:
- NordVPN - best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV
- Surfshark - cheapest Nvidia Shield VPN
- VyprVPN - great VPN app and price
- CyberGhost - simplest VPN for Nvidia Shield
- ExpressVPN - fast and great for streaming
VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV - our detailed list:
We tested out plenty of VPNs to get to this shortlist. The following 5 VPNs are all great for use with Nvidia Shield, but which one is right for you? Let’s take a detailed look at the features, apps, prices, and more of the top VPNs for Nvidia Shield.
1. NordVPN - best VPN for Nvidia Shield TV
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN, now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
NordVPN stands out as the best overall VPN for Nvidia Shield. For starters, it's proven to be highly efficient at unlocking practically every big streaming site - from Netflix US to Disney+ and everything in between.
With 5,700 servers in 60 different countries, you can unlock streaming sites all over the world, so you’ll never run out of movies and shows to watch.
NordVPN is one of the fastest VPNs around. It has NordLynx, a tunneling protocol that essentially streamlines the process of connecting to VPN servers to give you a faster connection. Nvidia Shield does not have the fastest processors so when you’re streaming content and connecting to a VPN at the same time, this can sometimes lead to buffering. A fast tunneling protocol like NordLynx helps solve that problem so you can enjoy HD streams free from buffering or slowdown.
NordVPN has an app especially for Android TV, which is ideal because Nvidia Shield is powered by Android! You can even use NordVPN’s regular Android app if you’d prefer, just choose TV mode in the settings menu.
SmartPlay (Smart DNS) is one of NordVPN’s best features for streaming. It can help you access geo-blocked content without slowing down your connection, so you get a smooth streaming experience.
NordVPN has iron-clad security and online privacy features, 30-day money back guarantee, live chat support and prices starting at $3.30 a month.
- Unblocks all the main streaming platforms
- App optimized for Android TV
- Supports split tunneling and Custom DNS
- Very fast connections with NordLynx protocol
- Military-grade security features
- Superb support with 24/7 live chat
- Doesn’t have custom router firmware
2. Surfshark - cheapest Nvidia Shield VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
Surfshark is next on our list of VPN services that are perfect for unblocking all your favourite streaming sites. You’ll get access to 3,000 servers in over 60 countries, so whether you want to watch Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, or Hulu Japan, it’s got you covered.
Surfshark keeps connections super fast thanks to its WireGuard tunneling protocol, which helps keep your Netflix stream free from annoying buffering and slowdowns. It also offers the IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Shadowsocks protocols.
Additionally, with SurfShark’s SmartDNS feature, you don’t even need to connect to the VPN. You can unblock content and get the fastest connection possible for smooth, 4K/UHD streaming.
Surfshark has an app that you can download directly from the Google Play store in Nvidia Shield. You can log in via your smartphone by selecting TV login within the account settings menu of your mobile Surfshark app. This is much easier than trying to log in with your TV remote control.
You can always use Surfshark VPN in confidence thanks to military-grade encryption and a fleet of security features.
If you ever need help connecting to a server or anything else relating to Surfshark, you can get in touch via its 24/7 live chat support. Surfshark is very cheap - prices start from just $2.49 a month which also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very affordable prices
- Consistently unblocks big streaming sites
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Speedy connection with WireGuard protocol
- Has SmartDNS and works on routers
- Shadowsocks helps you connect in China
- Does not support split tunneling or Custom DNS
- Surfshark website does not offer APK download
3. VyprVPN - great VPN app and price
|Servers/countries:||700 servers in 70 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 12 months FREE!|
VyprVPN is another solid choice for unlocking content on Nvidia Shield TV. Whilst it has a seemingly modest 700 servers, there are server locations in 70 countries, and we had no problems unblocking a wide range of content. You can access all the big streaming platforms like Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu to TV channels including Sky Sports and ITV.
VyprVPN’s app is optimized for use on Android TV devices, so it works really well on Nvidia Shield.
VyprVPN uses the WireGuard protocol so you’ll get fast connections and smooth streams. VyprVPN also has the Chameleon tunnelling protocol, and this makes it a great option for people in countries where VPN use is restricted - such as China. Chameleon disguises VPN traffic to make it look like regular internet traffic, so you’ll be able to use the VPN without getting blocked.
As far as costs go, VyprVPN is one of the most affordable options on the market. Its cheapest subscription costs just $1.66 a month, and you have a 30-day money back guarantee too.
If you ever have a tech problem with VyprVPN, you can get in touch via its 24/7 live chat support line, or find a tutorial in its extensive knowledge base.
- Unblocks most streaming sites
- Fast connection with WireGuard
- Strong security and no-log policy
- Support includes 24/7 live chat
- Works in China
- No SmartDNS
- Non-WireGuard protocols are inconsistent
4. CyberGhost - simplest VPN for Nvidia Shield
|Servers/countries:||6,900+ servers in 90 countries|
|Current deal:||Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
If you just need a simple VPN that works great with Nvidia Shield, and unblocks a range of content, look no further than CyberGhost.
With an app that’s built for Android TV, CyberGhost is easy to set up and use on Nvidia Shield. It also has specialist streaming servers that are optimized for different uses - streaming included. When you go into the server list you’ll see specific options for different platforms, like Netflix and Disney+, and you can unblock pretty much any site you can think of.
Your streaming connections will be fast too thanks to WireGuard and IKv2 protocols, which can both give you a speed boost if your Nvidia Shield is struggling with some slowdown.
CyberGhost also supports split tunnelling. This feature lets you select which of your apps will go through the VPN and which stay on your regular internet connection. Useful if, for instance, you want your streaming app on the VPN but need your browser on the regular connection for work.
Alternatively, if you want every device in the house going through the VPN you can install CyberGhost on your router. This can be complicated, but there are handy guides on CyberGhost’s support hub to help you get it done.
Subscription prices start off at $2.25 a month. Unlike other VPNs, CyberGhost offers a 45-day money back guarantee. On top of that, you can even try CyberGhost completely for free with its 1-day trial option.
- Servers optimized specifically for streaming sites
- Easy to use Android TV app
- Fast WireGuard and IKv2 protocols
- Supports split tunneling
- 1-day free trial and 45-day money back guarantee
- May be too basic for advanced users
- Doesn’t work well in China
5. ExpressVPN - fast and great for streaming
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get ExpressVPN, now 35% OFF!|
ExpressVPN boasts 3,000 servers in various global locations, and it’s proven to unlock all the big streaming platforms. Netflix, DAZN, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Sky Go - the list goes on, suggesting that ExpressVPN unlocks pretty much everything.
As its name suggests, ExpressVPN is fast. Its Lightway tunneling protocol is amongst the fastest tested. It really helps to keep your streams smooth and buffer-free.
ExpressVPN claims to have an app that’s optimized for Android TV, but the interface seems to be the same as its regular app. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t work well though, it’s still easy to use and navigate.
MediaStreamer is ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS feature. You can use this to unblock streaming sites with the fastest possible connection, without even needing to connect to the VPN.
ExpressVPN is also one of the easier VPNs to install on your router, as it has its own firmware which makes the process a bit simpler.
As you can see, ExpressVPN is loaded with features that make it a perfect streaming VPN. However, it’s one of the more expensive VPNs - its prices start from $8.32 a month. For your money, you’ll also get great security, excellent customer service with 24/7 live support, and a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Lightway tunneling protocol gives great speed
- Unlocks practically everything
- Supports SmartDNS (MediaStreamer)
- Stealth servers keep you anonymous
- Router firmware available
- Most expensive VPN on this list
How to choose a VPN for Nvidia Shield
There are plenty of great VPNs out there, but what makes them good for Nvidia Shielf TV users? Here are a few things to look for:
- Does it have an Android TV app or an Android app optimized for TV? Nvidia Shield TV is based on the Android TV operating system. All the VPNs on this list work really well with Android TV, some even have apps specifically for the platform.
- Speed. To get the best out of Nvidia Shield, you need a VPN that’s fast. Plus, Nvidia Shield’s processors aren’t that fast, so if you get a VPN with efficient tunneling protocols like WireGuard, you’ll maximise your speeds on your Nvidia device. The VPNs on this list all have fast servers and a selection of tunneling protocols.
- Good for streaming? A VPN that’s proven to be good for streaming will really help you get more out of Nvidia Shield. No matter where you’re located, you'll have access to streaming platforms all around the world. From American Netflix and ESPN, to BBC iPlayer and beIN Sports, you’ll be able to catch up on all your global favourites without a ‘this content is unavailable in your region’ error message in sight.
- Customer support. No matter how good the tech, it’s normal to run into problems. That’s why we’ve included VPNs that have great customer support - from 24/7 live chat to online tutorials and guides - so you can get help if you need it.
- Price. Value for money is vital. We’ve recommended VPNs that give you all the features you need at an affordable price. They also offer 30-day money back guarantees, so you’re free to change your mind if you decide it’s not what you’re looking for.
- Security. These VPNs all have excellent security features such as military-grade encryption, kill switches, no log policies, and malware blockers to keep you safe and anonymous at all times.
How to install a VPN on Nvidia Shield
There are a few methods that can help you install a VPN on Nvidia Shield. Since Nvidia Shield is powered by Android TV, you’ll get access to the Google Play store where you can download all sorts of apps - VPNs included. You can also sideload them using APK files.
Aside from installing a VPN app on Nvidia Shield directly, you can just install a VPN onto your router. This way all your devices that are connected to the router network, including Nvidia Shield, will automatically benefit from the VPN features without needing a separate app.
This is a really useful way of connecting multiple devices to a VPN. But it’s worth noting that installing a VPN to a router can be tricky. First, you’ll need to check that your router is compatible with a VPN, then you’ll need to access your router’s configuration menu and upload a special firmware file before installing the VPN. Or you could splash out on a router that has a VPN pre-installed.
Installing a VPN app via Google Play
- Sign up to a VPN. We recommend NordVPN
- Load up Nvidia Shield, head to the Apps menu
- Find the Google Play Store and search for your VPN
- Install the VPN to Nvidia Shield
- Open up the VPN and log in
- Connect to a new server in the country of the streaming site you want to access
- Now you’re ready to enjoy unblocked content!
Installing a VPN as an APK file (sideloading)
- Download an Android file manager, like X-plore, to your computer
- Enter the security settings section of Nvidia Shield, go into Unknown Sources, and switch on your chosen file manager
- On your computer, download the APK file for your chosen VPN from its website
- Using your Android file manager, transfer and install the APK file to Nvidia Shield
- The VPN should now show up in your Nvidia Shield app list
Which Nvidia Shield is the best?
Nvidia Shield is great for streaming TV, and with a VPN additionally installed, you’ll have access to all the best shows, movies, and content from all around the world. But which model of Nvidia Shield is best?
The two main options are Nvidia Shield TV and Nvidia Shield TV Pro.
The Nvidia Shield TV has an attractive, compact design - it’s been designed in a tube shape that can slot into any entertainment set up with ease. The Nvidia Shield TV Pro has more of a classic set-top box design, with sleek angles giving it a striking look.
Specs wise, there are just a few key features that differ. Both models run on a powerful Tegra X1+ processor, but the regular Shield has 2GB of RAM and 8GB of storage space, whilst the Pro has 3GB RAM and 16GB storage.
The Pro has two USB slots that you can use to connect external storage, and it can even function as a hub for Samsung SmartThings devices. These are two features the regular Shield is lacking.
You can also set the Pro up as a Plex server, which means you can use it to access files on other devices you might have - like your computer.
Apart from these features, both models are pretty similar. They both support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, they both give you access to the same channels, streaming platforms and apps, and they both upscale 1080p to 4K HD.
The Nvidia Shield TV costs $149 and is perfect for anyone who wants an easy way to stream high quality content. The Nvidia Shield TV Pro costs $199 and is a better option for people who want to expand storage and have better connectivity options.
Can I use a free VPN with Nvidia Shield?
Sure, you can use a free VPN with Nvidia Shield, but is it actually worth your while? Free VPNs may seem attractive, but the truth is you’re much better off with a paid VPN. Here’s why.
VPNs that are completely free will almost always be lacking vital features. They’ll be slow, have limited server location choices, and won’t be very good at unblocking geo-blocked content.
Free VPNs need to make money somehow, and one method they have of earning cash is by selling their users’ data to third parties - which is the last thing you want if you’re trying to stay secure and anonymous online. There have even been reports of free VPNs carrying malware.
Another option is a freemium VPN. This will be a free version of a paid VPN, so while you’ll have the confidence of a VPN provider you can trust, the freemium edition won’t have the same features as the full version. You’ll also likely have data caps and other restrictions that will be a pain if you’re trying to stream content.
For these reasons, it’s always worth picking a VPN with an affordable subscription - that way you'll get great features, unlimited bandwidth, and great unblocking capabilities.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Best VPNs for Streaming: Fast HD/4K streaming quality
Best VPNs for Roku: Fast & secure streaming
Best VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick: Get more from your Fire TV Stick
How do I get American Netflix on Nvidia Shield?
You can unblock American Netflix on Nvidia Shield in a few simple steps by using a VPN. If you download a VPN like our recommended NordVPN or Surfshark, you can use it to hide your IP address and connect through servers in the US. This will enable you to access American Netflix without any problems.
Can I use a VPN on Nvidia Shield?
Yes, there are a number of VPNs that work really well on Nvidia Shield. As long as you pick a VPN that’s good at unblocking streaming sites, has fast servers and has an app that works with Android devices, you’re good to use it on Nvidia Shield.
How do I use NordVPN on Nvidia Shield?
All you need to do is download the NordVPN app onto Nvidia Shield from the Google Play store, sign up for a subscription and then log into the app. Then you’ll be able to access all geo-blocked content like American Netflix.
Can I install an APK on Nvidia Shield?
Yes, you can install APKs on Nvidia Shield using a method called sideloading. You’ll need to download a file manager app on your PC or mobile device, then transfer your chosen APK from this device to the TV.