How to Watch Sky Sports in the USA in 2022
If you’re a serious fan of the Premier League, Formula One, and Cricket, Sky Sports is a must-have to get in on the action as it offers coverage of these events.
However, if you’re not in the UK or Ireland, you’ll find that Sky Sports and all its thrilling actions are geo-blocked.
Fortunately, you can bypass these restrictions with a VPN. A VPN will make it appear as if you’re based in the UK or Ireland so that the blocks don’t apply to you.
Below, we’ll show you exactly how to watch Sky Sports in the USA and abroad, share the best VPNs for your needs, and some basic troubleshooting that you should know.
How to watch Sky Sports in US with VPN
- Register for a VPN with servers in the UK. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers in the UK.
- Register for a NOW membership to stream Sky Sports channels.
- Search for a game, kick back, and enjoy!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Sky Sports in US?
Sky Sports is only available in the UK and Ireland. This is because Sky Sports has geo-restricted its content due to licensing and distribution rights. If you’re based outside these regions or traveling for work/vacation, you’ll see an error code that says that your access is denied.
This is where a VPN comes in. You can bypass the geo-blocks by using a VPN that connects to a UK server to watch Sky Sports. The system will then detect your UK IP address and make the content available.
Bear in mind, however, that not all VPNs will work or even be effective. This is why it’s important that you choose the best VPN for Sky Sports.
Best VPNs to watch Sky Sports in US
There are many VPNs out there, and just as many will claim that they can help you watch Sky Sports in the USA or abroad. However, it’s worth noting that you’ll see quite a range in qualities. Hence, we’ve picked out our three top options for you. All three have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free.
1. NordVPN - best VPN to watch Sky Sports stream in US
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5400+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is the best VPN for watching Sky Sports outside the USA. The company has the largest network of servers among the major providers: a whopping 5400 + servers in 60 countries . While it only has servers in London in the UK, the number of servers exceeds 440.
NordVPN is also popular for its amazing speeds. This is important so that you don’t miss out on those game-changing split moments because of buffering issues or interruptions.
The provider doesn’t slack when it comes to security features, either. NordVPN offers strict security measures, including a no-logs policy.
2. Surfshark - good VPN to unblock Sky Sports in USA
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF + Antivirus & 2 months FREE|
The super-affordable Surfshark is also one of the best VPNs to watch Sky Sports abroad. It has over 3200 servers in more than 95countries. In the UK alone, it has servers in three cities to help access geo-restricted websites like Sky Sports.
Unlike its competitors, Surfshark doesn’t impose a limit on connection and the number of devices you can use.
Its strong security measures are also a huge plus. It offers a no-logs policy, protection against DNS leaks, 256-bit AES encryption, and more.
3. PureVPN - reliable VPN with fast streaming speeds
|🌎Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78+ countries|
|🔥Coupons:||PureVPN coupon 82% OFF|
PureVPN it's an excellent VPN for streaming: with great speeds, and consistent overall performance, it's a great option for long uninterrupted watching sessions. Sky Sports events had no buffering or lag, which is incredibly important while watching a game.
Plus, the provider has over 6500 servers in 78 countries — including UK locations in London and Manchester. In addition to Sky Sports, you can easily use PureVPN to access other geo-restricted websites such as BBC, Hulu, and Sling TV.
Security-wise, PureVPN doesn't disappoint either, with features such as a kill-switch, and 256-bit encryption.
Top streaming services to watch Sky Sports in US online
Sky Sports is available on cable for Sky TV and Virgin TV if you’re based in the UK. However, if you prefer to stream instead, this is where you can watch Sky Sports online:
|NOW||£25/month (about $34/month)|
|Sky Go||Free for Sky TV customers|
|Virgin TV Go||Free for Virgin TV customers|
You will find that these services aren’t available if you’re from outside of the UK and Ireland. Hence, you’ll need a VPN to bypass these platforms’ geo-restrictions. Here’s a quick look at the different platforms and the VPNs you can use to unblock them:
- NOW - An online streaming service from Sky, it’s region-locked. However, you can easily bypass its restrictions to catch the upcoming Tokyo Olympics 2021 on Sky Sports by using NordVPN.
- Sky Go - This is a free streaming service from Sky Group for its Sky TV subscribers in the UK. If you do have a subscription to Sky TV but are outside of the UK, you can still catch an event on Sky Sports by circumventing its geo-blocks with Surfshark.
- Virgin TV Go - This is a tough nut to crack and it’s only available in the UK for Sky Sports. The good news is that ExpressVPN still comes through and can bypass its geo-restrictions.
There are also some websites that illegally stream Sky Sports channels for free. However, we must warn you that besides their illegality, you’ll also put your personal and browsing data at risk with these websites.
How to watch Sky Sports in US on your device
It’s not at all hard or challenging to watch Sky Sports on your device. However, the steps do differ according to the device you’re using.
Additionally, you’ll also need to bypass geo-restrictions since Sky Sports is blocked outside of the UK. This is where a VPN comes in and makes all the difference.
So, below, we’ll walk you through how to navigate this on the most popular devices.
Watch Sky Sports on PC (Windows and Mac)
If you plan to catch a Sky Sports-covered game on your computer — either one that’s running on Windows 10 or a Mac — you’ll need to download NOW Player on your computer. Here’s how:
- Download and install a VPN on your computer. We recommend NordVPN.
- Select and connect to a UK server.
- Head over to the NOW website, click on a sporting event and click Play. This will trigger the Player download.
- Click Download when prompted and install the NOW Player.
- Launch the Player, choose a match, and catch your favorite team in action.
Watch Sky Sports on Phone
It’s also easy enough to watch Sky Sports stream on the go with your phone — both Android and iOS. These are the steps you need to take:
- Download and install VPN either on your phone or your Wi-Fi router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Select and connect to a UK server.
- Go to the Google Play Store or the App Store and download the NOW app.
- Sign in to the NOW app and enjoy!
Be aware that you won’t be able to use the NOW app if you have a rooted Android device.
How to watch Sky Sports on streaming devices
You can also watch Sky Sports with NOW on various streaming devices — including Roku, Kodi, Apple TV, and Firestick. Of course, a VPN would go a long way in ensuring that you can catch all the action uninterrupted.
Let’s take a closer looking at how you can stream Sky Sports with these devices.
Stream Sky Sports on Roku
If you’re looking to stream Sky Sports with the NOW app on Roku, it’s worth noting that Roku doesn’t support VPNs natively. However, you can easily get around this to catch a match. Here’s how:
- Download a VPN and set it up on your router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Choose a UK server.
- Sign in to Roku with a UK account and head to the Roku Channel Store.
- Click TV & Video > NOW app > Add Channel.
- Sign in to the NOW app and enjoy all the sports events.
Remember that when you install the VPN on your router, you need to make sure to connect your Roku device to that specific router. Otherwise, you’ll still be blocked from Sky Sports.
Stream Sky Sports on Kodi
Kodi doesn’t support VPN apps. So, to get around this in order to stream Sky Sports on Kodi, you’ll need to connect your VPN to your Wi-Fi router. Here’s how to watch Sky Sports on Kodi:
- Download and install a VPN on your router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Select and connect to a server in the UK.
- Launch Kodi and install an add-on that offers access to Sky Sports.
- Once done, click on Add-ons > Install from Repository > Video Add-ons. Then click on the name of your add-on and hit Install.
- When done, return to your Kodi Home Screen and go to Videos > Add-ons. Click on the name of your Kodi add-on again and search for Sky Sports.
- Catch up on the latest Sky Sports match.
For the most part, Kodi focuses on its local content library. So, for other content, you can only access the third-party platforms by installing a relevant add-on. What this means for you is that you’ll need to install an add-on in order to stream Sky Sports on Kodi.
There’s always concern about privacy when it comes to third-party add-ons. Hence, it makes it that much more important to go with a reliable VPN like NordVPN to protect yourself.
Stream Sky Sports on Apple TV
For you lucky folks with an Apple TV of 4th generation or later, you can set everything up and watch Sky Sports from anywhere in the world within minutes. This is because the NOW app is already pre-installed on your TV.
All you need to do is:
- Download and set up a VPN on your router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Opt for a UK server. Connect your Apple TV to that router.
- Head to the App Store and search for the NOW app.
- Download and install the app on your Apple TV.
- Launch the NOW app, sign in, and stream all the matches and games that you want.
Make sure that you have the latest version of the NOW app for unhindered access to Sky Sports.
Stream Sky Sports on Fire Stick
Do you have an Amazon Fire Stick instead? Well, lady luck is on your side as NOW TV was made available as an app on Fire TV devices in December last year.
To watch Sky Sports in the USA or abroad with Fire Stick, you’ll have to:
- Download and install a VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Opt for a server in the UK.
- Search for the NOW app on your Amazon Fire Stick and install it.
- Once the installation is done, hit Open.
- Enjoy Sky Sports’ content.
You shouldn’t run into any trouble, but if for some reason you can’t find the NOW app on the Amazon App Store, you might need to sideload the app in the meantime.
We hope those tutorials helped! In the meantime, you can browse our list of popular VPNs for devices below:
How to watch Sky Sports outside UK
Sky Sports has geo-restricted its content so that you can only catch the thrilling matches and games on its channels if you’re in the UK or Ireland.
However, for those of you wondering how to watch Sky Sports online outside the UK or abroad, there’s a way you can circumvent the restrictions. All you need is a VPN to bypass Sky Sports’ geo-blocks.
So, regardless of if you’re from the USA, Canada, Australia, EU countries, or wherever in the world, you can still get in on the action. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install a VPN on your phone, computer, or router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Launch the VPN app.
- Select a server in the UK from the options in the list.
- Head to your NOW Player or NOW app and catch up on your sports events.
Cannot access Sky Sports with a VPN?
Sometimes, you might not be able to access Sky Sports even with a VPN. This might be because:
- Sky Sports has blacklisted your VPN provider’s servers.
- Sky Sports has upgraded its geo-restrictions, and your VPN is no longer effective.
- Your actual IP address is leaking.
- Your VPN can’t unblock Sky Sports’ geo-blocks.
To help with these issues, you can try the following solutions:
- Check that you have chosen a server in the UK.
- Clear your cache and cookies.
- Try a different browser.
- Contact customer support for assistance.
If all else fails, it’s time to upgrade to a better and more reputable VPN like NordVPN.
How to watch Sky Sports for free?
You can watch Sky Sports for free at streaming sites like FreeStreamsLive, Stream2Watch, and Time4TV. However, we must warn you that streaming copyright-protected content on these sites could constitute a crime and could very well bring with it serious legal repercussions.
Plus, with these sites, you’re exposed to malicious attacks and more, which makes a VPN a necessity. However, if you’re thinking of pairing the free streaming with a free VPN so that you can watch Sky Sport at no cost, we don’t recommend it.
Often, you’ll find that the majority of them can’t even bypass most geo-restrictions. Plus, free providers usually fund their operating costs by selling your tracked data. They’re notorious for being extremely slow as well.
Freemiums (providers that offer free versions along with paid ones) aren’t exactly good options either. The free plans are often very limited in terms of resources and most of their more helpful features are only available with a paid plan.
What can you watch on Sky Sports
If you haven’t tuned in to the sports events with Sky Sports’ 11 channels, you have been missing out! For those of you who are curious about what to watch on Sky Sports, here’s a list of the top events you can catch on the different channels:
|Premier League||Premier League games|
|Football||English Football League (EFL)|
|Formula 1||F1 and IndyCar|
|Racing||Dubai World Cup|
|Golf||The Open Championship|
|News||Sky Sports News|
|Main Events||Top events from various sports|
For a more detailed schedule, you can refer to Sky Sports’ TV Guide.
Sky Sports offers access to some of the most heart-racing events in sports. However, unfortunately, if you aren’t in the UK or Ireland, you’ll be geo-blocked by the service and unable to watch Sky Sports.
To bypass these restrictions, you’ll need the help of a trustworthy and effective VPN. The VPN will change your location so that it appears as if you’re watching Sky Sports from within the UK.
Let us know in the comment if you’ll be watching Sky Sports outside of the UK with the help of a VPN. Which event are you most excited about and which team are you rooting for?
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to Watch Sky One in the US: experience the complete sports bliss
How to Watch Channel 4 in the USA: get your daily dose of British media
Watch DAZN with the best VPN: don't miss a single punch with these providers
How to watch beIN Sports anywhere: watch your favorite sport without any restriction
How can I watch Sky Sports without a subscription?
You can watch Sky Sports without a cable TV subscription via NOW — Sky’s streaming service. You’ll need to follow these straightforward steps to watch Sky Sports.
How can I watch Sky Sports on my computer?
You can watch Sky Sports on your computer by downloading and installing the NOW Player on your computer. Here’s the step-by-step guide.
Is Sky Sports now free?
No, Sky Sports is not free. While you don’t necessarily need to pay for a Sky or other cable TV subscription to watch Sky Sports, you’ll still need to pay for a sports membership if you want to stream via NOW. NOW’s sports membership costs £25/month (or about $34/month). There’s also a day membership to watch Sky Sports channels for 24 hours for £9.99 (or about $14).
Can I watch Sky Sports on Amazon Prime?
No, you can’t watch Sky Sports on Amazon Prime. Sky Sports is available on Sky TV or Virgin TV if you have a subscription. However, to watch Sky Sports online, your only option is to stream with NOW.
Where can I find the full schedule for all Sky Sports Channels?
You can find the full schedule for all Sky Sports Channels here.
Can I stream Sky Sports in HD?
Yes, you can stream Sky Sports in HD if you opt for NOW Boost. With it, you can watch the channels in 1080p video quality. However, it requires internet speeds of 12Mbps or more to stream in 1080p. There’s a 7-day free trial for Boost, and it then renews for £5/month.