Best VPNs for TextNow in 2023
If you haven’t heard of TextNow, it’s a service that lets you call and text for free. Instead of relying on a paid plan with a wireless carrier, you can use an internet connection. With TextNow, you can call or text numbers without having to rely on cellular networks.
However, you must also connect your mobile device or computer to an IP address in the countries where TextNow is available. Otherwise, TextNow won’t work, and you’ll get an error message that says the service isn’t available in your location.
If you’re living or traveling abroad, these limitations can be inconvenient. Luckily, you can bypass these restrictions with a VPN service.
There are tons of VPN services on the market, but, in this guide, we’ll recommend only the best VPNs for Text Now that work perfectly.
Top 5 best TextNow VPNs
- NordVPN – best overall VPN for TextNow
- Surfshark – excellent VPN value
- ProtonVPN – secure VPN for TextNow
- Atlas VPN – VPN with freemium options
- PureVPN – robust bandwidth and fast speeds
What features should you look for in a TextNow VPN?
When looking for the best TextNow VPN, there are quite a few factors to consider. These include:
- Servers locations. Any VPN you use with TextNow should have servers in a variety of countries where TextNow works. VPNs with server locations in the United States and Canada are best. However, TextNow is also known to work with IP addresses based in Singapore, Australia, and Switzerland.
- Security. Make sure to pick a VPN that provides strong encryption, such as AES-256. Other VPN features that can strengthen your security and privacy include a no-logs policy, split tunneling, and a kill switch. A no-logs policy means your activities won’t go into logs or databases. This gives you added security and privacy. Also, split tunneling will let you encrypt some of your apps and activities over VPN while letting other unencrypted connections go through
- Simultaneous connections. The more simultaneous connections you can have means you can do more than communicate via TextNow.
- Ability to unblock geo-restricted content. Perhaps you want to watch online content from your favorite streaming service and send messages with TextNow at the same time.
In the next section, we’ll review the best VPNs that successfully unblock TextNow and fit all of the criteria listed above. Let’s have a look.
The best VPNs for TextNow – our detailed list
To find the best VPNs for TextNow, we tested dozens of service providers. We evaluated each VPN based on server availability, security features, ability to bypass geo-blocks, and additional features. Let’s take a closer look at the five VPNs we picked.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for TextNow
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
NordVPN is one of the top VPN providers with over 5500 servers in 60 countries. Plus, you can choose from servers in 15 different US cities and 3 Canadian cities. This makes it an ideal match for TextNow since these locations represent the main areas where the service is available.
Besides plenty of servers that can get around TextNow’s geo-restrictions, NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy and allows up to six simultaneous connections.
You also get split tunneling and IP masking options. If you want a dedicated IP, so you don’t have to select a new server each time, those are available too.
NordVPN is very affordable, starting from only $3.29/month, and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for your peace of mind.
Visit NordVPN review to learn more.
- Feature-rich VPN service
- Excellent speeds
- Wide variety of servers in numerous countries
- Top-rated privacy and security
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No router applet
2. Surfshark – excellent VPN value
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark VPN offers an amazing price-quality ratio. It comes with unlimited simultaneous connections and provides access to over 3200 servers in 100 countries. These locations include a multitude of IP addresses from US and Canadian cities.
Apart from this, Surfshark has a kill switch, camouflage mode, offers a WireGuard tunneling protocol, and uses AES-256 GCM encryption Plus, it has a tight no-logs policy. Needless to say, it’s one of the most secure VPNs for TextNow you can find.
Surfshark’s prices start from only $2.30/month, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To get an even better understanding, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- Cost-effective pricing
- Wide variety of server locations
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Enhanced security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. ProtonVPN – a secure VPN for TextNow
|Servers/countries:||1800+ servers in 66+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN!🔥|
ProtonVPN provides 1800+ secure and private servers in 66 countries. This VPN service also has a free option with privacy-oriented servers in three countries, including the US. So, if you want to give ProtonVPN a trial run with TextNow before you commit, it’s easy to do it.
ProtonVPN’s premium version also offers subscribers 10 simultaneous connections, split tunneling, kill switch, and it comes with a strict no-logs policy. Plus, it uses unbreakable AES encryption and can unblock major geo-restricted websites. That makes it an amazing option for TextNow.
The paid subscription also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to give you enough time to test the waters, and the pricing starts from $4.99/month.
For more details, read our Proton VPN review.
- Free version available
- Over 1800 secure servers
- Advanced security features
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- A bit pricier
- Might experience some speed issues
4. Atlas VPN – a VPN with freemium options
|Based in:||The USA|
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
Atlas VPN has over 750 servers in 38 different countries, including the United States and Canada. Some of Atlas VPN’s servers are built for ultra-secure privacy for your TextNow calls and SMS messages.
Atlas VPN has a strict no-logs policy, market-standard AES 256-bit encryption, and a reliable kill switch. Plus, you can enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections.
Atlas VPN operates under a freemium model, meaning you can use the service for free with limited server access and features. However, there is more than one paid subscription option with different pricing levels.
You’ll save the most with the three-year plan, but you can still save 83% with the one-year option. There’s also a monthly option if you don’t want to commit long-term, and a 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
To learn more, check out our Altas VPN review.
- Ultra-secure servers in 38 countries
- A variety of paid and free options
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No Linux support
- Smaller server fleet
5. PureVPN – robust bandwidth and fast speeds
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 81% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
PureVPN has some of the fastest server speeds for TextNow. When you’re making calls over Wi-Fi, you don’t want low bandwidth to ruin or interrupt your connections. With over 6500 servers in 78 countries, you can connect to an IP address that won’t restrict your use of TextNow.
You can connect to servers in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Toronto, and Vancouver. PureVPN offers a no-logs policy, split tunneling, and 10 connections at once.
PureVPN’s security features anonymize your online activity and identity. The service’s engineering team also optimizes all connections and servers for the best speeds. Supported security protocols include WireGuard, PPTP, and L2TP/IPSec.
The pricing starts from only $2.08/month and PureVPN’s 31-day money-back guarantee will allow you to test the service out without any risks.
Find our more in our PureVPN review.
- Solid bandwidth and fast speeds
- A variety of security protocols
- Subscription plans based on individual needs
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Quite limited Linux app
How we selected and tested these VPNs
It’s clear that not all VPNs work with TextNow, so there was quite a lot of testing and selecting involved. Below is a summary of the criteria we used to select and test the best VPNs for TextNow.
- Ability to unblock TextNow. To make sure that each VPN can bypass geo-blocks and allow you to use TextNow, we tested each of them by connecting to different servers in the US and Canada.
- Number of servers. The number of servers and server locations provide more flexibility and choices, so we checked how many servers in the US and Canada each of the competing VPNs has.
- Security. It’s crucial to stay secure when using TextNow, so we made sure that each VPN in our list comes with advanced security features and can protect you not only when using TextNow but also browsing online and accessing other geo-restricted content.
- Simultaneous connections. Most VPN users want to be able to use different services, such as TextNow, on different devices at the same time. You’ll get at least six simultaneous connections when picking one of the recommended VPNs.
- Strict no-logs policy. No-logs policy is important for your anonimity and privacy. You don’t want logs of your calls and SMS messages getting into the wrong hands. That’s why all of the VPNs we selected have this policy in place.
Why do I need a VPN for TextNow?
TextNow only works in specific countries. If your IP address comes from a location where TextNow isn’t authorized, you can’t use the service. You’ll get an error message and won’t be able to sign in.
However, a VPN can issue an IP address from countries where TextNow is authorized, allowing you to use the service from anywhere in the world.
Other reasons you need a VPN for TextNow include:
- Privacy. A VPN with a no-log policy won’t keep records of your phone conversations or text messages.
- Anonymity. Many VPNs offer different security and encryption protocols so that others can’t intercept or decode your conversations.
- Protection when using a public Wi-Fi connection. VPN services can mask your IP address and prevent others on public Wi-Fi networks from seeing your activities. A VPN also offers extra malware and spyware protection.
How to unblock TextNow with a VPN from anywhere
If you’re in a country where TextNow isn’t authorized, you’ll need to use a VPN to get around any geo-restrictions. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to unblock TextNow with a VPN from anywhere in the world.
- Choose a reputable VPN service and sign in to your account. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF.
- Connect to a server in a location where TextNow is authorized. A US or Canadian server is best.
- Sign up for a TextNow account and log in.
- Start calling or texting over your Wi-Fi and VPN connections.
Countries where TextNow is available
If you’re traveling, studying, or living abroad, it’s important to know where TextNow is available. This will help you connect to appropriate VPN servers if you’re outside the locations where TextNow operates. Besides the US and Canada, here is a list of which countries support TextNow’s services.
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong SAR
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
TextNow not working with a VPN? Here’s how to fix the problem
Despite using a VPN with TextNow, you may run into connection problems or error messages. You may need to update your device’s system software or TextNow app.
In some cases, you may be trying to use an older device that’s incompatible with TextNow or your VPN service. You can start by ensuring you’re using a compatible device and that all software on it is up to date.
If you’ve double-checked all that and are still running into problems, it’s time to troubleshoot your VPN. Below are some steps you can take:
- Check your VPN server’s location. Typically, an unauthorized location is the problem. If you connect to a server or have an IP address from a location that doesn’t work with TextNow, you won’t get far. You’ll keep getting error messages about geo restrictions. Try connecting to a location that’s guaranteed to work with TextNow.
- Clear your web browser’s cache and cookies. Sometimes an authorized location gets saved in your browser’s cache or cookies. Deleting these can help resolve the problem.
- Reach out to your VPN’s support team. There’s always the chance that something more complex or technical is preventing you from using TextNow. Contact your VPN’s customer support team to help troubleshoot the issue.
- Try a different VPN provider. Not all VPNs work well with TextNow. If you’ve tried everything else, it’s time to switch. We recommend NordVPN for TextNow.
Can I use a free VPN with TextNow?
If you prefer free VPNs, you’re probably asking which free VPN is best for TextNow. The problem with free VPNs is that you may not have access to some of the features you need. This includes compatible server locations, enhanced security features, and sufficient speeds. Plus, they tend to sell your data to third parties, leading to even more privacy risks.
Instead, we recommended freemium VPNs such as Atlas VPN and ProtonVPN. While you may not get the fastest speeds or enhanced security features when using a free plan, you can always upgrade to a paid subscription. Freemium VPN providers are a great choice for people who want to try out a service before paying for it.
An even better option is to take advantage of our top providers’ money-back guarantee. NordVPN and Surfshark offer at least 30 days to test their services completely risk-free.
TextNow is an affordable or free alternative to wireless service. With over a million users worldwide, TextNow lets you call and send text messages over a Wi-Fi connection. The service also has a SIM card activation kit for $0.99.
Yet, TextNow only works from specific countries. If you’re outside those locations, you need a reliable VPN with servers based in countries where TextNow will work. Ideally, you also want a VPN to protect your data and device. That’s why we highly recommend NordVPN for TextNow.
What’s the best VPN for TextNow?
NordVPN is the best VPN for TextNow. It takes the number one spot on our list because of its server availability and locations, security features, and renowned customer support.
Does TextNow work in Nigeria?
No, TextNow does not work in Nigeria. If you’re physically in Nigeria and want to use TextNow, you’ll need a VPN. Your VPN should have servers located in countries where TextNow is authorized. For example, your VPN will need available servers in the US, Canada, or one of the other countries on TextNow’s list.
Does TextNow require VPN?
No, as long as you’re physically located in one of the countries where TextNow isn’t blocked. However, if you’re not in one of those countries, you’ll need to use a VPN. We’ve found that the best VPN for the TextNow app is NordVPN. This service provider will issue you an IP address from a location where TextNow isn’t restricted or blocked.
Why is TextNow blocking?
TextNow will block you if your IP address originates from an unauthorized location or if you’re engaging in activities that go against TextNow’s Terms and Conditions. A reliable VPN will help to solve the first problem by changing your IP address.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked