Using an Amazon Firestick is a fantastic way of accessing all your favorite streaming services in one place. But almost all streaming services are geo-blocked, meaning they’re only available in specific locations. Even widely available platforms, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, have different content catalogs for each country they operate in.
On the bright side, you can bypass any region restrictions on your Firestick by downloading an advanced VPN app onto your device. When done, simply connect to a server in a location that has access to the content you want to watch, and streaming blocks will be lifted.
This guide will give you step-by-step instructions on how to use a VPN to change your Amazon Firestick location and recommend the best VPNs for the job.
Change your location on Firestick with a VPN
- Find a VPN with secure servers in the location you want. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the app onto your Firestick.
- Connect to a server in your chosen region.
- Download or relaunch the streaming service you want to watch.
- Enjoy watching region-restricted content on your TV!
Why should you use a VPN to change Firestick location?
A VPN will open up a whole world of exciting content on your Amazon Firestick that wouldn’t otherwise be available to you, and you can download the app directly onto your Firestick. After all, there is no end to region-restricted streaming services available in different parts of the world. The good news is that a top-rated VPN for streaming can unblock all of them for you.
Even streaming services that operate worldwide, such as Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video, have to comply with geographic licensing restrictions. For this reason, they will have different content libraries for each country.
On top of this, a VPN will allow you to enjoy the full functionality as Amazon Firestick devices only work in these countries:
Luckily, if you want to watch restricted content or access Firestick’s full functionality, the only thing you need to do is sign up for a reliable VPN and use it to connect to a server in the location where the content you want is available.
Your device will then be issued with a new IP address from that region, unblocking the location-restricted content so you can watch it on your Firestick from anywhere.
Tested VPNs that work with Firestick
One of the best things about Amazon Firestick is that it supports VPN apps. And multiple providers have Firestick apps that you can easily download onto your device. Unfortunately, not all of them are strong enough to unblock all location-restricted content.
To make things easier for you, we’ve pulled together a quick list of the best VPNs for Amazon Firestick that have impressive fleets of international servers and fast streaming speeds:
- NordVPN – best Firestick VPN, with high-quality servers in 59 countries
- Surfshark – fast speeds for buffer-free streaming in 95 destinations
- IPVanish – easy-to-use Firestick app and servers in 50 locations
If you’d like more advice, be sure to check out our handy guide on choosing the best VPN for Amazon Firestick.
How do I install a VPN on Firestick?
One of the great things about the Amazon Firestick is that you can use it to download a VPN app. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your Firestick’s home screen, open up Apps, and search for VPN.
- Download and install a VPN app for Firestick. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Launch the VPN app, and connect to a server in the location that has access to the content you want.
- Give it a few seconds until the connection is established. After this, you should have a different IP address.
- Find the content you want to watch and enjoy streaming it from where you are!
Most streaming services have blocked traffic from multiple VPNs. So we’d recommend using one of the providers mentioned in this guide or taking advantage of a money-back guarantee to ensure your VPN works with the streaming service of your choice. If you need more help, you can check our thorough guides on how to install NordVPN on Firestick, as well as the installation of Surfshark VPN on Firestick.
How to change your Firestick country without a VPN
If you want to change your location on your Amazon Firestick without using a VPN, here’s something you can try:
- Log in to the Amazon account that’s linked to your Firestick.
- Go to Accounts and Lists, hit Your Content and Devices, and select the Preferences tab.
- Go to Country/Region Settings, select Change next to your current country, and fill in the form using an address in the region you want.
- Restart your Firestick and complete the registration process.
- You should now be able to see the Amazon Prime Video library from your chosen location.
- It’s worth knowing that although you may be able to see the content you want, you might still need to use a VPN to unblock it.
Go to Accounts and Lists, hit Your Content and Devices, and select the Preferences tab.
How can I solve the problem of a VPN not working on Firestick?
Using a VPN app on your Amazon Firestick is generally super easy. So, if you’re receiving an error message or cannot access the content you want, it’s probably down to one of the following reasons:
- Your VPN has been detected and blocked by the streaming service you’re using
- You’re not connected to a server in the correct location for the content you want
- Your real IP address could be leaking
- Your device settings might need updating
To get it working, here are some things to try:
- Make sure that you’re connected to a secure server in the correct location
- Check you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN
- Connect to a different server
- Check if your Firestick has been updated
- Contact your VPN’s customer support team
If you try all these solutions and you’re still no further forward, we’ve got lots more tips and tricks in our in-depth guide on how to use a VPN. Alternatively, we’d suggest going back to your Firestick app store and downloading a more secure VPN.
How to change Firestick location with a free VPN?
It’s difficult to change your Firestick location with a free Firestick VPN because most truly free providers don’t have servers capable of bypassing region restrictions. And even if you find one that works, most free VPNs are bad for privacy – they sell user data to third parties.
Having said that, if you’ve got your heart set on using a free provider, we’d strongly suggest a freemium instead, which is a basic version of a paid-for provider that won’t cost you anything. If this is the road you want to go down, we’d recommend ProtonVPN or AtlasVPN, both of which have easy-to-use apps for Firestick.
Conversely, if you only need to use a VPN for a short period, such as if you’re hoping to binge-watch a specific show, you might be better off using a free trial of a paid VPN. We’ve only recommended providers in this guide that come with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Once the free trial has expired, here’s how much a subscription will cost you:
- NordVPN – with a huge range of secure, international servers and an intuitive app for Firestick, NordVPN is our number one choice for this device. After the 30-day money-back guarantee has finished, prices start from just $3.09 a month.
- Surfshark – seeing as it’s pretty much the fastest VPN you can find, Surfshark is ideal for buffer-free streaming. Plans start from just $2.21 per month.
- IPVanish – if you want to unblock region-restricted content on Amazon Firestick, IPVanish is one of the most reliable options out there. Subscriptions start from just $3.33 a month.
What can you watch on your Amazon Firestick?
There’s no end to streaming services available on your Amazon Firestick. And if you use a VPN, you can access region-restricted content from anywhere in the world. This is particularly useful if you’re traveling and you’d like to keep up with all your favorite shows while you’re abroad.
To give you a taste of what you could watch, here are some of the most popular geo-blocked streaming services to download on an Amazon Firestick:
|Streaming service||Location where it’s available|
|Amazon Prime Video||Different content available in each region|
|BBC iPlayer||The UK|
|Disney Plus||Different content available in each region|
|Netflix||Different content available in each region|
|Sky News||The UK|
If you’d like to change your Firestick location on Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, or any other region-restricted content, you can do this by downloading a VPN app onto your streaming stick. Then, use it to connect to a server in a location where the content you want is available. This will spoof your Firestick location and allow you to watch the content from anywhere.
Amazon Firesticks give you access to a huge range of streaming services in one easy-to-navigate place. But due to geographical restrictions, not all streaming services are available worldwide. Even the ones available worldwide usually offer different content in each region due to local licensing restrictions.
The good news is that you can unblock a whole world of region-restricted content on your Amazon Firestick with a VPN. All you need to do is download a secure VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in the location you want to access. You’ll then be able to watch geo-blocked content on your Firestick from anywhere.
We hope this guide has answered all your questions. If you have any additional queries, please contact us using the comments section below, and one of our team will reply!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I use my Firestick to connect to a server in a different location?
Yes, one of the best things about Firesticks is that it’s really easy to connect to a server in a different location. All you need to do is download a secure VPN, such as , onto your Firestick and use it to connect to a server in another region.
Can you change your VPN provider on your Amazon Firestick?
Yes, if you’re not happy with the VPN you’ve chosen, you can simply uninstall the app on your Firestick and download a different one. We’d recommend NordVPN because it can unblock pretty much any region-restricted streaming service, and it has an excellent app for Firestick.