The Apple App Store is one of the biggest digital marketplaces in the world, with all Apple users relying on it to download the apps and services they need for their devices. However, as with many online platforms, there are different apps available to download in each country. And whether you’re traveling outside your home country or you just want to try out apps from another region, it’s important to be able to change your App Store country whenever you like.
Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t make the process easy. Although it may look as simple as changing your location in your Apple ID settings, you might not be able to access all the apps you want if your IP address doesn’t match that region. Don’t worry though, because we’ve got a simple solution for you. All you need to do is download a reliable VPN, which will help you change your App Store location, as well as protect your data by encrypting your traffic, thereby keeping it private.
In this guide, we’ll tell you how to do this on Apple’s most popular devices, pick out some of our favorite VPNs, and troubleshoot common issues.
How to change Apple App Store country with VPN ?
- Pick a reliable VPN that’s compatible with iOS. We suggest NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download and install the software and set up an account.
- Connect to a server in the location of your choice.
- Open up the App Store and go to your Apple ID. Click on Country/Region and change the location to match the one you chose from your VPN.
- Relaunch the Apple App Store and enjoy browsing all the apps from that region!
Why should you use a VPN for the Apple App Store?
A VPN will allow you to change your location on the Apple App Store, which will give you access to that region’s app library. This is ideal if you’re traveling abroad, if you’re in a location that’s experiencing difficulties with the App Store, or if you want to download apps and services from another part of the world.
Aside from this, a VPN is an essential cybersecurity tool for any device. And although Apple does have some security features on its iPhones, Macs, and iPads, a VPN will provide much more sophisticated protection for your data. After all, a VPN encrypts your traffic, meaning that it can’t be viewed by cybercriminals, advertisers, or other third parties. This, of course, is even more crucial if you’re using an iPhone, as you might connect to unsecured public Wi-Fi while you’re out.
In addition, a VPN will allow you to bypass region restrictions on all sorts of streaming services, such as BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and even foreign versions of Netflix and Amazon Prime, by connecting to a server in another location.
How to choose VPN to change App Store country
Choosing the right VPN can be confusing, as there are so many different providers out there. But it’s important to note that not all VPNs support Apple products. Therefore, if you want a VPN to help you change App Store country, you’ll need to select one that works on your devices.
On top of this, speed, security, and the quality and quantity of servers will vary dramatically, depending on which VPN you choose.
To save you having to research this yourself, we’ve done all the hard work for you by testing out a wide range of VPNs and selecting the best VPNs for Apple devices.
For even more recommendations, take a look at our guide on the best VPNs for iPhone.
Or check on for our shortlist of the recommended VPNs for changing your App Store country.
- NordVPN - one of the best VPN for Apple
- Surfshark - the best value VPN to change App store country
- Atlas VPN - fast VPN for Mac enthusiasts
How does the App Store detect your location?
The Apple App Store uses a few different methods to determine your location. First and foremost, it will detect the location of your Apple ID to figure out where you are in the world. But fooling Apple isn’t as simple as changing this to another country. Chances are you’ll still see the same version of the App Store you had access to before.
This is because Apple can still detect your whereabouts by looking at your IP address and GPS location. But, by using a VPN to connect to a different server, you can hide your true IP address behind the one issued by your VPN provider. This will then make it appear as though you’re in another country, which will allow you to successfully change your App Store location. Some VPN apps also come with GPS spoofing features to ensure Apple can’t track you.
How to change the location on the iTunes Store
There are numerous situations where it might be helpful to change the location on your iTunes Store, including:
- Being able to access content that’s only available on the iTunes Store in another part of the world
- If you’re traveling outside your home country and want to connect to your App Store back home
- To protect your privacy by hiding your true location
Luckily, a reputable VPN can help you do this. Some even have built-in GPS spoofing features that will help hide your location from Apple.
Simply follow these steps to change your iTunes Store location:
- Choose a reputable VPN that works on Apple devices. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the software and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in your chosen location.
- Open up iTunes and click on your Apple ID.
- Change your Apple ID region to your country of choice.
- Enjoy browsing for content in your chosen version of iTunes.
How to change the App Store location on your device
If you’re traveling to another part of the world or want to access the contents of another country’s App Store, you’ll need to change your App Store’s location. And it’s easy to do. All you need is to use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in your chosen location and change the region of your Apple ID. Some VPNs even have GPS spoofing features built-in to keep your actual location completely hidden from Apple.
Of course, this doesn’t just work for the App Store. You can also use this method to change your location on a range of Apple apps and services, such as:
- iTunes Store
- Apple Fitness+
- Apple Books app
- Game Center
- Apple TV app
- Apple Music app
- Apple News app
In this section, we’ll explain how to change your App Store location on Apple devices:
Change app store location on iPhone and iPad
Whether you’ve got an iPad or an iPhone, you can use this method to change your location on the Apple App Store:
- Select a VPN provider that has an iOS app. NordVPN is ideal for this because it works brilliantly on iPhones and iPads.
- Download the software from the App Store and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in the country of your choice.
- Head to the Settings on your phone, open up your Apple ID and change your region to your preferred location.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and enter your payment information.
- Open the App Store and start browsing a whole new catalog of apps.
If this doesn’t work, clear your cache and cookies and try again.
Change app store location on Mac
If you’ve got a Mac, follow these steps to change your App Store location:
- Choose a VPN that works on Macs. Our favorite is NordVPN because it supports Apple devices.
- Download the software from the VPN’s website and create an account.
- Connect to a server in your preferred country.
- Launch the App Store on your Mac, double click on your Apple ID at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, and hit View Information.
- Change your region to the country you’ve chosen, agree to the terms and conditions, and enter your payment information.
- Restart the App Store and start looking for new apps.
If this hasn’t worked, try clearing your cache and cookies and relaunching the App Store. You may also like to read our detailed guide on how to change location on a Mac.
Is it legal to change your location on the App Store?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to change your location on the Apple App Store with a VPN. You can also use a GPS spoofing app or a proxy server to change your App Store country. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that these options aren’t as secure, and they don’t come with additional privacy features to protect your identity and activity while you’re connected.
But while it’s not illegal to do this, it may go against Apple’s Terms of Service. And it likely won’t accept payments on the App Store from a credit or debit card linked to your true location. Still, you can get around this by purchasing a gift card for the Apple App Store and using that instead.
If you want any more details, take a look at our guide about the legality of VPNs.
Can’t change location on the App Store with a VPN?
Occasionally, even if you’ve downloaded a VPN from the App Store and used it to connect to a server in another location, you might still not be able to change your App Store country. In such cases, it may be that you’ve accidentally connected to a server in the wrong region, or your VPN simply isn’t working.
If you’ve made sure your VPN is up and running and connected to a server in the right location, you should check for the following issues:
To solve these problems, try the following options:
- Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod might be too old and no longer compatible with your VPN’s software
- The GPS location showing on your device isn’t matching the IP address on your VPN
- Your real IP address may be leaking
- Your VPN isn’t able to bypass the geo-restrictions on the app or site you want to use
- The cookies on your device could reveal your actual location
To solve these problems, try the following options:
- Clear your cache and cookies
- Connect to another server
- Ensure you’ve enabled IP leak protection in the settings on your VPN
- Try a different browser
- Reach out to your VPN’s customer service team
If you’ve tried all these solutions and it’s still not working, it might be time to think about upgrading your VPN. We’ve listed our favorite VPNs for this earlier in the guide.
For further help and advice, be sure to check out our guide to getting a US IP address.
Change App Store location with a free VPN
Although it may be possible to use a free VPN to change your App Store location, it’s not likely to end well for you. For one thing, free VPNs rarely come with iOS apps, and even if you find one that does, it probably won’t be reliable enough for bypassing region restrictions.
Even worse, free VPNs don’t offer much in the way of speed, features, or security. In fact, many free VPN providers make their money by selling customer data to third parties. So ironically, it may cause you more security issues than not using a VPN at all.
If you’re determined to give one a go, we’d recommend trying out a freemium VPN instead, which is a free version of a paid-for VPN service. Although they’re usually fairly restrictive, both Atlas VPN and ProtonVPN come with iOS apps that are easy to use. They also don’t impose a data cap, so you can use it as much as you like.
Even though Apple doesn’t make it easy for customers to change their App Store location, there is a way around these restrictions. All you need to do is use a good VPN to connect to a server in a different country. Then you simply change your Apple ID’s region to match that of your VPN server, and you should be able to access the Apple App Store based in that location.
But more than that, it’s a really sensible idea to download a VPN to improve your online security. After all, a VPN uses sophisticated encryption to hide your internet traffic, which will keep your data safe from prying eyes. And on top of that, you’ll also be able to unblock streaming services from other parts of the world and even avoid having your speeds throttled by your ISP!
Has our guide told you everything you need to know about using a VPN to change the location of your Apple App Store? Ask us any further questions you have in the comments section below, and one of our experts will get back to you.
Best VPN deals this week:
Will a VPN hide the IP address on my iPhone?
Yes, when you use a VPN to connect to a server, you’ll then be issued with a new IP address based in that location. This will then hide your true IP address from your iPhone, as well as any apps, sites, or services you try to access. To find out how, check out our step-by-step guide earlier in this article.
What is the best VPN for changing my location on the App Store?
We tested many VPNs, and we found that NordVPN is the best solution for changing your location on the Apple App Store. It has a great iOS app that has heaps of security features, and it’s straightforward to use. Besides this, it can unblock all sorts of sites and services from other parts of the world, delivering excellent security. For more recommendations, see our shortlist further up the page.
Is it safe to use a VPN to change your location on the Apple App Store?
Yes, it’s perfectly safe to use a VPN to change your App Store location. In fact, using a VPN can improve your online security by encrypting your traffic and thereby keeping your private information safe from cybercriminals.