How to change the IP address
Changing IP address can bolster your online security, as it conceals your location and identity from third parties, such as ISP. Moreover, Internet Service Provider may impose data caps and throttle the connection. Fortunately, you can avoid that with the help of a reputable VPN.
A VPN, with many servers and top-notch security features, is the best tool for changing IP address. You can also do that using proxies or choosing the Tor browser. However, these methods change your IP, but compromise your online security – unlike the VPN.
Continue reading and learn how to change your IP address in no time. You’ll find detailed guides, find the best VPN to do the job, and dive into reasons when you should or shouldn’t rely on IP address rotation.
How to change the IP address with a VPN in 4 steps
- Pick a reputable VPN provider, and install the app. Our top suggestion is NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Sign up or log in to your account.
- Connect to a server in another location, and it’ll change your IP address.
- Start a secure activity online with a new IP address.
How to find your IP address?
You can find your IP address via various websites, such as ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com. It’s the easiest way, as finding IP address differs on various devices. There, you’ll be able to see current IP address and both sites will provide you with DNS leak and server information, and you can even find details about your device.
Why would you need to change your IP address?
Changing your IP address has various benefits, such as staying anonymous online and ensuring online security despite what you do on the Internet. But let’s take a look at a detailed list with more reasons:
- Maximal anonymity online. Changing your IP address masks your actual location, and your online activity can’t be traced to identify you. Hence, your data is safe from leaks or pesky third parties, and you won’t be bothered by targeted ads.
- Access geo-blocked content. You can bypass geo-restrictions on various streaming services, apps, video games, and more, with a foreign IP address.
- Circumvent website blocks. If you want to access specific websites, social media platforms, or content, changing your IP address helps you go around such content blocks. It’s especially useful in highly-censored countries, where popular sites or social media networks are unavailable.
Public vs. Private IP address
There are two types of IP address – public vs. private. Sometimes they’re also called external and internal IP addresses. However, they differ, and here’s how:
- Public IP address is linked with your whole network. One IP address is assigned to your router by ISP. More so, public IP addresses are usually paid since you get one when buying your Internet service.
- Private IP address is an address that is used to identify each device on your network. Now, the router assigns the IP address to a device in order to differentiate it between devices Typically, they are free of charge because the router itself appoints them.
If a third party has pesky intentions, the public IP address can be traced to your ISP, revealing your geographical location. To avoid that, you can use a VPN and browse the Internet anonymously by routing your Internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel.
When it comes to a Private IP address, it can also be traced; however, only by other devices connected to your network. Therefore, you’re safe here as no one online can see it.
Change IP address with a VPN: a detailed guide
Changing your IP address on a device you’re using is easy. Below, you can find step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
- Change IP address with a VPN on Windows
- Change IP address with a VPN on macOS
- Change IP address with a VPN on Android
- Change IP address with a VPN on iOS
Change IP address with a VPN on Windows
Changing the IP address with a VPN on Windows takes only 6 simple steps. Here’s how you do it:
- Find a reputable VPN and download the app. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Install the application, then sign up or log in.
- Launch the app and sign up or log in.
- Choose and connect to a server of your choice.
- You're connected! Start surfing with a new IP address.
Change IP address with a VPN on macOS
macOS is no exception when it comes to an easy rotation of your IP address with a VPN. Follow these instructions and get a new IP address:
- Check your current IP address.
- Then, download a reputable VPN from App Store. NordVPN is our top recommendation.
- Install the app.
- Log in or create an account.
- Connect to the wanted server and check the IP address again.
Change IP address with a VPN on Android
If you are looking to change IP address with VPN on Android, you can do it in 5 easy steps:
- Check your current IP address.
- Download a trustworthy VPN in Google Play. Our top recommendation is NordVPN.
- Install the app, then log in or create a new account.
- Connect to any server you want.
- Recheck your IP address.
Change IP address with VPN on iOS
We covered changing IP address with VPN on iPhone, where you can get more in-depth information. In short, here’s how you change your IP address on iPhone:
- Check your IP address.
- Choose a reputable VPN, like NordVPN.
- Download the app from the App Store and install it.
- Log in or create an account.
- Connect to another server, and you’ll get a new IP address.
Other methods of changing your IP address
While VPN is the most secure method to change your IP address, there are other ways of changing your IP address. However, keep in mind that not all of them ensure a maximal security or anonymity while doing so. Take a look at other methods on how you can change IP address:
- Change your network. It’s not a very common way of changing the IP address. However, your ISP provides your router with an IP address, so you’ll get a new IP address when you change the network.
- Use a proxy. Proxies are very similar to VPNs and are intermediaries between your computer and the Internet. You get assigned a new IP address while using a proxy, but they only work on apps. Beware that proxies don’t provide VPN equivalent security features, and your ISP can see your traffic.
- Use the Onion browser. It alters your IP address by directing your traffic through a worldwide network of servers. However, it is not convenient for everyday browsing due to slow speeds.
How to choose a VPN to change IP
Rotating IP address is a common practice for VPNs, and most of them can do the job faultlessly. However, there are some crucial things you have to look into before opting in for a VPN subscription. Here’s what you should look for in a VPN:
- Size of a server fleet. It’s a significant factor, because larger server fleet provides more IP addresses to choose from. Opt for a VPN provider with a vast selection of servers, such as NordVPN. It has 5500+ servers in 60 countries, allowing a greater variety of IP addresses.
- High-level security features. Besides VPNs being able to change IP address, they must include essential safety features. Look into providers that have a kill switch function, malware or ad blockers, top security tunneling protocols, just to name a few.
- Unbreakable encryption. A VPN must protect your online traffic with AES-265 cipher. It provides a maximal security and protects your data and identity from appearing in leaks or other types of threatful situations.
|NordVPN||Surfshark VPN||Atlas VPN|
|Price||From $3.29/month||From $2.30/month||From $1.82/month|
|Servers||5500+ servers in 60 countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Streaming||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark review||Atlas VPN review|
When you shouldn't change your IP address?
Changing IP address can be tempting, as it provides all-around anonymity online or the possibility to circumvent geo-blocks around content. However, here are a few scenarios when you shouldn’t change your IP address:
- When you use an organization’s network. If your employer provides you with network, changing IP address can violate company policy.
- You’re involved in illegal activities. Beware that changing IP address won't do anything if you are engaging in dangerous or illegal activities online. It’s because law enforcement can track your activity through other means.
- When external websites need to remember your IP address.
Changing IP address is beneficial if you want to ensure security and anonymity online, bypass various geo-restrictions, stream desired content, or simply access blocked websites.
However, there are also situations when it’s not recommended to change IP address. For example, a new IP address won’t prevent law enforcement from tracking your activity if you engage in illegal activities.
But if you need a new IP address for streaming or security, you can do it with the help of a reputable VPN like NordVPN. Due to its large global server fleet, it's a great pick, as you get plenty of IP addresses to switch to.
In addition, VPNs also include essential security features such as a kill switch or DNS leak protection. Unlike proxies or Tor browser, VPN is the best and the most secure tool to change your IP address.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Does a VPN bypass parental controls?
VPN keeps disconnecting: what to do?
How to fix 'Instagram music isn't available in your region'?
Can I change my IP address myself?
Yes, you can change your IP address yourself. Install a reputable VPN, like NordVPN, and connect to a new server. You’ll get assigned a new IP address. You can also look into our step-by-step guides to help you do it on your device.
Is it free to change your IP address?
Yes, it’s free to change your IP address. However, if you choose a paid VPN provider, you’ll have to pay for the subscription. For example, a premium VPN like NordVPN will only cost you from $3.29/month, but you can save up to 63%with a NordVPN coupon.
How to change the IP address without a VPN?
You can change your IP address without a VPN by changing your network, surfing on Onion browser, and using a proxy.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked