How to use a VPN for cheaper flights in 2023
If you’re looking to get the best deal on an upcoming flight, your location can influence the price you’re shown while shopping. Many airlines use dynamic pricing that changes based on location, travel dates, demand, interest in the airline, and more.
The same flight can have a different price tag depending on the country where it’s purchased. To make sure you’re getting the best deal and not overpaying, you can use a VPN to change your location and get the cheapest possible flight.
Want to know more about how to use a VPN for cheaper flights? We’ve got the complete guide to get you started. Keep reading for our top VPN picks and how to beat the airline’s dynamic pricing.
How to get cheap flight tickets with a VPN
- Pick a VPN with a global fleet of servers – we recommend NordVPN for this, now 63% OFF.
- Download and open the VPN on your device.
- Pick a server and search for your flight.
- Note the flight’s price and then clear your cookies.
- Repeat this process with servers in different countries to compare prices.
- Choose the server with the cheapest flight and book your ticket!
How are flight ticket prices determined
The price you see when you search for a flight is determined by several behind-the-scenes factors. Here are a few of the main influences that can change how tickets are priced:
- Your location. The same flight can have different prices depending on the market. Generally, you might find more expensive price tags for flights while browsing from a wealthier country.
- The airline’s location. Individual airlines sometimes offer more favorable pricing to the market in their home country. If you want to book with a specific airline, check to see where its headquarters are and use your VPN to connect to that country.
- Your online activity. Ever searched for a flight two days in a row and found that the price increased? Your cookies may cause flight prices to go up in an effort to instill urgency and get you to purchase your seat ASAP.
- Seasons and holidays. It’s no surprise that flying around Christmas and other high-traffic holidays is more expensive. Tickets to vacation destinations may be at a peak in summer when demand is higher.
3 Best VPNs for cheaper flights
- NordVPN – overall best VPN for cheaper flights
- Surfshark – reliable VPN with servers in 3200 countries
- Atlas VPN – budget VPN for cheaper flights
How to get cheap plane tickets with a VPN
Ready to use your VPN to get the best possible deal on your next flight? Here’s what to do:
- Choose a VPN with servers worldwide – like NordVPN, now 63% OFF.
- Download your VPN and launch the app that it comes with.
- Select a server and search for the flight you want using any of the airline sites or a flight comparison tool.
- Write down the price and clear your cookies, cache and browsing history – this will ensure the airline doesn’t store your browsing habits.
- Pick another server to compare prices – you can take screenshots for easier comparison, too.
- Use the server with the cheapest flight to purchase your ticket.
If you’re not sure what servers to use, you can try a server in the destination country, in the airline’s home country, or in another country with a favorable currency exchange. Remember to clear your cookies after each search to escape any undesirable price hikes.
5 Cheapest ways to book flights
Wondering what other hacks can help you get the cheapest flight possible? Here are a few things you can try with or without your VPN to get the best deal on your next trip.
1. Use a VPN
The first and most trustworthy method would be using a robust VPN, such as NordVPN. VPN is a private network that will help you trick ticket booking sites into helping you avoid inflated prices. By utilizing a VPN, you hide the data that airline ticket operators use to customize your ticket cost.
A VPN will not only hide your IP address but also encrypt your traffic which precludes third parties from accessing your data or seeing your activity online, thus helping you avoid targeted marketing.
Lastly, a VPN will allow you to log on via USA or Brazilian or any other servers, which might modify the price and offer better deals as compared to other countries.
2. Clear cookies, history and cache
On some occasions, the fare will be higher after visiting the website several times; this is due to the fact that ticket operators analyze and store information about you and your browsing habits. This in turn will make those prices skyrocket, but there’s a quick and easy solution: you can just clear your cookies, clear your browsing history and cache.
Clearing your cookies will prevent the website from observing your habits, tracking your location and raising their prices. You can even use Incognito mode; that way the browser will not store your preferences and there will be nothing for the operators to analyze.
3. Use a flight comparison tool
There are plenty of sites out there designed to help you research and purchase flight tickets. Sites like Skyscanner, Momondo, Priceline, Kayak, or Google Flights can help you with pre-booking research. These sites are loaded with features to help you sort through all the available flights and start to narrow your search.
Using a flight comparison site can help you choose which airline has the best route for your trip and which days or times can get you the best deal. You can make purchases directly on some of these sites, while others will direct you to the airline’s official website to make your purchase.
While there are many sites to choose from, exercise caution before making your final purchase. If you buy your ticket from a third-party site offering a low price, keep in mind you’ll need to deal with this third party if any problem arises with the flight.
4. Check for error fares
Errors happen even in the most calculated environments, and ticket pricing is no exception. Error fares is one of many options to get cheap flight tickets, as many booking sites and airlines sometimes offer very low prices either due to human or automation errors.
However, such deals expire and/or are sold out quickly, so you should hurry up and snatch that opportunity up! Sites like Secret Flying, Jack’s Flight Club or Fly4Free provide advantage by tracking error fares and will help you find exclusive deals. Bookmark these sites so you don’t forget the next time you want a workation in Bali!
5. Use airline loopholes
Some of the best tricks that will help you save money come from understanding the system and using it to your advantage; ticket operators are no exception. Here’s some ways you can “hack” the system.
Hidden city. If you buy a ticket to a different city/country with a layover in your destination, sometimes it might be cheaper to buy the full trip and just not board the layover flight; however, such plane dodging can sometimes incur fines, so be sure to check your terms of contract.
Throwaway tickets. In some cases, a roundtrip ticket will cost less than a one-way ticket. However, if you plan for your stay to be longer than the roundtrip ticket allows, just throw away your return flight ticket and enjoy your vacation. Flyers frequently do not board planes, so it’s almost impossible for airlines to penalize them; however, check the terms just to be sure.
Cheapest country to book flights from with a VPN
When you’re on the hunt for the cheapest country to use with your traveling VPN, a little experimentation is needed. With so many factors that go into the dynamic pricing of the airlines, here are a few things to get you started finding the cheapest possible option:
- The airline’s home country. Depending on the airline, it might offer special deals or the best prices to its home market. Take Lufthansa, for example. While it flies all around the world, its headquarters are in Germany. You can try setting your VPN to a German server to see if Lufthansa is offering any special pricing in its home.
- The destination country. Say you’re flying from the USA to Mexico. If prices seem high with a US IP address, try setting your VPN to a server in Mexico. Check again if prices are any lower when you appear to be located in the destination country.
- A country with lower demand. The laws of supply and demand apply to airline pricing. If you’re in a market where the demand for your destination is high, you can expect prices to be high as well. Try a country where your destination is less popular to see if prices change.
- A country with favorable currency exchange. If you’re up on the latest in world economics, you might understand how to use a fluctuation in a local currency to your advantage. Try changing your VPN to check the prices with the local currency.
Best websites for the cheapest flight fares
There are countless price comparison sites to help you find the best possible deal for your upcoming trip. Here are a few of the most popular and some of their signature features:
- Skyscanner. While you won’t purchase a flight directly from Skyscanner, it can point you to some of the best possible deals on the market. You can easily select different countries or currencies in the search settings. Setting your destination to “everywhere” lets you search the world for the best possible deals.
- Momondo. If you want to get a sense of price trends around your preferred travel dates, Momondo is a great place to start. It can point you to the best days to fly at the lowest prices. You can also use its price tracking tool to keep an eye on the flight you want to purchase for the best deal.
- Kayak. Kayak is another reliable site to compare flights and find the best possible fare. When you check out the flight you want, it will pull prices from several websites so you can start your research. It also lets you take two separate one-way tickets and put them together for a custom flight at a low price.
VPN troubleshooting guide for cheaper flights
Running into an unexpected issue getting your flight at the best possible price? Don’t worry, there are a few common snags you might hit when using a VPN for cheaper flights. Here are a few issues you might be experiencing:
- Your real location and IP address are visible
- Your browsing history and interest in the airline are visible
- Your device is running on out-of-date software
- You’re not using a reliable and trustworthy VPN
Luckily, you can solve many of these issues on your own. Not sure what to do? Try some of these common solutions:
- Clear the cookies, cache, and browser history
- Connect to another server
- Update and restart your device
- Upgrade to one of our recommended VPNs
- Reach out to your VPN’s customer support team
Does a free VPN work for cheap flights
Yes, free VPNs work for cheap flights. However, we don't recommend using a free VPN when searching for a cheap flight or any other occasion. Free VPNs may leak private information due to a lack of security features. If your VPN can’t keep your online data private, it might cause ticket prices to rise as your interest in a particular airline is recorded in your cookies. Moreso, free-of-cost VPNs come with small server fleets, resulting in a poor flight directions selection.
If you’re still looking to use a reliable free VPN for the sake of your budget, you might consider freemium services like Atlas VPN or Proton VPN. Their free versions offer top-notch great encryption and strict no-log policies. Only the amount of data and the number of available servers are limited.
To get full access to a VPN service, you can always take advantage of free trials and money-back guarantees. Most premium VPN services give you a chance of testing the service risk-free for over a month, so you get heaps of time to find cheaper flight tickets.
Here’s a quick overview of the free trials available from our recommended providers:
- NordVPN – try out the service, using a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, the pricing starts from only $3.29/month.
- Surfshark – snatch a 7-day free trial, combine it with a month-long money-back guarantee, and enjoy this top-notch VPN for free for 37 days. The starting price is $2.30/month.
- Atlas VPN – get a 7-day free trial over your mobile and use it on any device together with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Afterward, pay as little as $1.82/month.
If you’re dreaming of your next vacation, a VPN can help you make it a reality by finding the best possible flight deals. Using a VPN is an essential part of your trip planning process – use it with flight comparison sites during your research phase to get the best deal out there to your destination.
To make sure your online activity is properly encrypted, we recommend choosing a top provider – NordVPN. You can research prices using thousands of servers in 60 countries until you find the lowest price for an unexpected journey. When you get there, NordVPN is just as helpful, as it protects your online data while using public or any other network.
Have you tried out our tips & tricks for cheaper flight tickets already? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Best VPNs for multiple devices: protect all your devices with the best VPN
How to change the IP address: change your IP address by following a few simple steps
Best VPNs for the USA: unlock content from the Dreamland
Best VPNs for Europe: travel the Europe with a robust VPN
Which VPN is the best for flights?
NordVPN is the best for finding the cheapest flights. With over 5700 servers in 60 countries, this VPN can help you find the best possible pricing for your next flight. Plus, it will keep all your online activity encrypted and secured.
Which app gives the cheapest flight tickets?
Skyscanner, Kayak, and Momondo are some of the best apps to find cheap flight tickets. Always be careful when dealing with third parties sites, though. Non-reputable sites might sell you the ticket cheap but cause you problems when you get to the airport later.
Which country has the lowest flight prices?
The country with the lowest flight prices will depend on the details of your trip. Try the airline’s home country, the destination country, or a country with a favorable currency exchange to get the best price.
Does Skyscanner find cheapest flights?
Skyscanner is one of the best online comparison tools for finding the cheapest flights. It has plenty of great features to help, like searching for the cheapest dates and the cheapest destinations.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked