If you love shows like Riverdale, The Flash, and Kung Fu, you ought to check The CW channel. Unfortunately, The CW is only available to US residents due to strict licensing restrictions.
If you’re outside of the US and still want to watch The CW online, we have a super solution that will get you access to the CW faster than The Flash – a VPN.
VPNs are easy to use, cheap, and take around five minutes to set up – even if you’re a tech beginner. VPNs also offer a lot of privacy and security benefits.
So keep reading to find out how to get started with a VPN and watch The CW shows outside the US in a few easy steps.
How to watch The CW online with a VPN
- The first step – download a capable VPN. NordVPN is the number one choice, now with 68% OFF.
- Install the VPN and create an account.
- Connect to a server in the United States.
- Visit The CW website, and you’ll now have full access!
Why do you need a VPN to watch The CW online?
The CW Network is a US TV channel created through a partnership between CBS and Warner Bros. It’s a popular channel that broadcasts some of the most globally watched US shows, including Riverdale and All American.
The CW’s online platform is the best place to catch up on all your CW favorites, but since it’s strictly a US TV channel, you can only access the site if you’re a US resident.
TV networks have exclusive programming agreements and licensing restrictions that dictate where content can be broadcast. To enforce these restrictions, streaming sites use geo-blocks. If your IP address doesn’t show up as being within the US, you’ll see the following error screen:
To get past that annoying screen, all you need to do is change your IP address with a VPN – it’s easier than you think. The best VPNs enable you to connect to servers in thousands of locations, giving you a brand new IP address to unblock The CW content.
If you’re not familiar with VPNs, finding the right option could be a chore. However, to save you time, we’ve hand-picked a selection of VPNs that supply the features, security, speed, and servers you need to unblock The CW and stay anonymous online.
Best VPNs to access The CW TV online
- NordVPN – the best-performing VPN for accessing The CW online
- Surfshark – the best VPN for multiple users
- IPVanish – a reliable and fast VPN
Bypassing content blocks isn’t easy. Companies like The CW have sophisticated geo-blocks that filter out all but the very best VPNs.
We’ve gone through plenty of VPN providers and narrowed it down to 3 top choices that cover everything you need to stream The CW.
1. NordVPN – the VPN for accessing The CW TV online
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
Unblocking The CW is easy when you’ve got NordVPN.
NordVPN boasts an impressive server fleet that offers over 5500 connections in 59 countries, including almost 2000 American locations.
During tests, NordVPN’s servers managed to get us into The CW every time, and it worked with other big streaming sites like Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and HBO Max.
If security and privacy are important to you, NordVPN has you covered. Your sensitive data is shielded by market-leading encryption, and you needn’t worry about the connection dropping out and leaving you exposed – NordVPN’s kill switch will protect you from that.
NordVPN’s cheapest price plan is just $3.09 per month, and with our exclusive coupon code, you can get a 68% off NordVPN!
- Unblocks content on The CW
- Thousands of US servers
- Fast connections for smooth streaming
- Rock-solid security
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Your email address is necessary for signing up
2. Surfshark – the best budget-friendly VPN for multiple users
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 99 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons: ||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
Surfshark is NordVPN’s big rival – it’s another top-quality VPN that managed to bypass The CW’s geo-blocks.
Over 3200 global servers ensure you will always find a reliable connection, and Surfshark’s super-fast VPN speeds are ideal for buffer-free streaming.
Most VPNs limit the number of devices you can connect at once – not Surfshark. This VPN gives you unlimited simultaneous connections, so while you’re using it to stream The CW, your housemate can use it to unblock Netflix US.
Surfshark offers unbeatable value for money, its cheapest subscription usually costs just $2.30 per month, but with our discount codes, you can get up to 82% off the Surfshark price plan!
- Consistently unblocks The CW
- Use on as many devices as you want
- Very fast VPN connections
- Secure and private
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The iOS app isn’t the strongest
3. IPVanish – trusted VPN for unblocking The CW
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming services:||Yes|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons: ||IPVanish coupon 69% OFF|
IPVanish is yet another recommended VPN for unblocking The CW.
With its 2000 servers in 50 countries, IPVanish consistently bypasses geo-blocks – we’ve tried it on The CW, Netflix US, Disney+, and other streaming sites.
Fast and stable connections, and solid data encryption are just a few reasons for choosing IPVanish. And just like Surfshark, IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning you can share this VPN with all your family and friends.
IPVanish costs as little as $3.33 per month on a regular price plan, but you can use our special discount coupon to get 69% off IPVanish!
- Manages to bypass The CW’s geo-blocks
- Reliable servers
- Trustworthy security features
- Speedy connections – ideal for streaming
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Subscription prices rise after a year
How to watch The CW TV live without cable
If you don’t have cable television, you can watch The CW TV on streaming platforms like Hulu and YouTubeTV. Here’s a quick rundown of the streaming sites to use and how much they cost:
Tip: If you’re not in America, you’ll still need to use a VPN to access these streaming sites.
How to watch The CW with a VPN on your device
Excited to stream The CW? With the right VPN, you’ll be able to watch The CW on all your devices! Whether you use Windows, Mac, iPhone, or Android, we’re going to show you how easy it is to unblock content with a VPN.
Watch The CW on your computer or smartphone
The following quick steps are all you need to do to watch The CW on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC:
- Download a VPN with apps for all major devices. NordVPN covers Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and more.
- Confirm your VPN subscription and launch the app on your chosen device.
- Login and connect to a US server.
- Visit The CW website, and you’ll no longer be blocked!
For more info on the top VPNs that work best with your favorite devices, read our in-depth guides:
- VPNs for your Mac – the ultimate guide to getting the best VPN for Mac
- Best iOS VPNs – stream The CW on your iPhone and iPad with a VPN
- VPNs for Windows – unblock The CW on all your Windows devices
- The top-rated Android VPNs – find out which VPNs work best on Android
How to stream The CW on streaming devices
VPNs also work with streaming devices, like Roku, Firestick, Kodi, and AppleTV. You can’t download a VPN directly to most streaming sticks, but connect your router instead, and you’ll still get all the benefits. This is what you need to do:
- Download a VPN with many US servers to your PC. NordVPN has multiple US servers.
- Open the VPN and connect it to your router’s WiFi network.
- Scroll through the server list and connect to a US location.
- Find The CW’s app in your streaming stick’s menu.
- You now have access to all of The CW’s online content!
Check out these articles for more info on streaming sticks and VPNs:
- Recommended VPNs for Apple TV – stream The CW on Apple TV from outside the US
- Top-rated Kodi VPNs – these are the VPNs to use with Kodi
- VPNs for Firestick that won’t disappoint – stream The CW on Firestick today
- VPNs that work best with Roku – VPNs that always work with Roku
How to use The CW app with a VPN
If you want to download The CW app on your smartphone or tablet, you need to change your IP address with a VPN first. Follow these steps to unblock the content:
- Download a VPN to your mobile device. NordVPN has apps for iOS and Android.
- Run the VPN app and connect to a US server.
- Go to your device’s app store and download The CW app.
- Now you can use The CW app as if you were in America!
How to watch The CW from any country with a VPN
The CW is officially only available for US residents, but you can get around that by using a VPN to bypass geo-blocks. Then no matter if you're in the UK, Ireland, Spain, Australia, Canada, The Netherlands, Europe, or anywhere else, you’ll get all the access.
- Find a VPN that operates US servers. NordVPN has 1000+ Stateside connections.
- Sign up for the VPN and download it to your device.
- Connect to an American server.
- Now you’re set up with an American IP address, you can unblock The CW from anywhere!
Why is The CW not working with a VPN?
If you’re struggling to unblock The CW and are concerned that your VPN isn’t working, one of the following common issues is likely the cause:
- Your web browser has shown The CW site your true IP address
- You haven’t selected a US server
- The CW has blocked the server you’re using
- The VPN you’ve chosen has failed to bypass The CW’s geo-blocks
- You haven’t updated your system settings in a while
All of those issues are easy to fix, so try these troubleshooting tips out:
- Update all your apps, browsers, and operating systems
- Wipe your cookies and cache
- Switch to a different US server
- Use a different web browser
- Check your VPN’s support page
- Change your VPN
If you’re not using a VPN that’s capable of bypassing geo-blocks, then you’ll never be able to get access to The CW. We recommended using a tried and tested option like NordVPN, Surfshark, or IPVanish.
How to watch The CW with a free VPN
If you try to use a free VPN to unblock The CW, you probably won’t get very far. Free VPNs tend to lack the features you need to unblock content – you won’t get access to reliable servers or be able to bypass geo-blocks. Free VPNs usually have limited data caps as well as substandard security settings. Moreover, they often sell your data to third parties to generate revenue.
ProtonVPN and Atlas VPN are two free choices that stand out. Both are worth your trust, and neither restricts you with data caps. So if a free VPN is something you’re set on trying, these are the two to go with.
Another way of using a VPN for free is by taking advantage of 30-day money-back guarantees. All the VPNs we’ve recommended in this guide give you a whole month to decide if you want to take the plunge and go ahead with a subscription plan. Decide the VPN is not for you within the 30-days, and you can get a no-fuss refund.
Take a look at what NordVPN, Surfshark, and IPVanish offer:
- NordVPN – unblock The CW with US servers and best-in-class features for only $3.09 a month after the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – connect all your devices to one of the fastest VPNs available. Low-cost price plans begin at $2.30 per month after the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – tried and tested content unblocker. Join up for $3.33 a month if you decide to stick with it after the 30-day money-back guarantee.
What can you watch on The CW?
The CW is a free TV channel that broadcasts exciting shows like The Flash, All American, Superman & Lois, and Riverdale. The CW plays the latest episodes of hit shows just one day after they air on TV, and you can binge through box sets of shows that have already aired.
Here’s a taste of some of the great content you can watch on The CW.
|Title||Seasons available on The CW|
|The Flash (2014 – present)||Seasons 1-8|
|Riverdale (2017 – present)||Seasons 1-6|
|Kung Fu (2021 – present)||Seasons 1-2|
|All American (2018 – present)||Seasons 1-4|
|Wellington Paranormal (2020 – present)||Seasons 1-2|
|Stargirl (2021 – present)||Seasons 1-2|
|Superman & Lois (2021 – present)||Seasons 1-2|
The final verdict
The CW is a must-watch platform for anyone who enjoys exciting TV content, and as you can see, the best way of getting access from outside of the US is with a top VPN, like NordVPN.
A VPN changes your IP address to a US location, which tricks The CW, and other streaming sites, into thinking you’re in America. You can then stream shows and movies that would otherwise be geo-blocked.
VPNs may sound like the kind of tool only tech experts can use, but as we’ve shown you in this article, they’re user-friendly and suitable for pretty much anyone. Using a VPN is as easy as sending an email.
VPNs are also useful weapons in the battle for privacy and security. You can fend off hackers, cybercriminals, and even your ISP, thanks to the encryption and shielding that VPNs offer.
So there you have it, get a VPN, unblock The CW, stay secure online, job done.
What’s your favorite The CW show? Shout it out in the comments section below, and feel free to ask any questions you may have about VPNs.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can you watch The CW with a VPN?
Yes, you can easily watch The CW from anywhere with a capable VPN on your device. If you’re not in the US, use a top-rated VPN, like NordVPN, to change your IP address to a US location, and The CW website will be unblocked!
How can I watch The CW outside the US?
Whether you’re in the UK, Canada, Australia, Europe, or anywhere else, all you need to do is install a VPN to your device, connect to a US server, and then you’ll be able to access The CW and all of your favorite shows.
Is The CW app free to watch?
Yes, The CW app is completely free! You can watch shows like Riverdale, The Flash, All American, and more great content, but to get access from outside of America, you’ll need a VPN to change your IP address to a US location.
Which VPN is best for The CW app?
The best VPN to use on The CW app is NordVPN. NordVPN has thousands of servers in the US, and it consistently bypasses The CW’s geo-blocks. NordVPN also offers a range of security and privacy benefits such as end-to-end encryption and a kill switch.
What is the difference between The CW and CW Seed?
The CW mainly shows programming that is currently airing, like Riverdale and Arrow. CW Seed is where you find older shows and boxsets of past CW entertainment, such as Whose Line Is It Anyway?. You can access both CW sites from anywhere in the world with a VPN.