Best VPNs to bypass YouTube TV location in 2022
YouTube TV is a top-rated streaming service, giving users access to 85 channels. Unfortunately, it’s only available in the US, thus you will find its content geo-blocked in every other country.
Luckily, there’s an easy way around this. All you need is a reliable VPN to bypass YouTube TV’s location restrictions. When you use a VPN to connect to a US server, you’ll be given a temporary US IP address, which will let you spoof your location and make YouTube think you’re in the United States. A VPN also comes with a whole host of other benefits, including encrypting your data, and preventing throttling.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to use a VPN to watch YouTube TV from anywhere on some of the most popular devices, and we’ll recommend the best VPNs for YouTube TV. So read on for everything you need to know.
How to bypass YouTube TV location restriction with a VPN
- Install the best YouTube TV VPNs. Get NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Connect to a VPN server in the US
- Sign in or register for a YouTube TV subscription
- Start watching YouTube TV outside the US
Why should you use a VPN to watch YouTube TV?
YouTube TV is only available in the US, and even then, not throughout the country. This popular streaming service places geo-blocks on its content, so that it would comply with the copyright laws and distribution rights. If you’re visiting other countries or residing outside of the US, you’ll need a YouTube TV VPN to unblock it.
If you try to watch content on YouTube TV without a VPN, you’ll be blocked by the following error code: It looks like you're outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the US.
A VPN will help you get around this by letting you connect to a server in the US. You’ll then be issued with a US IP address, which will trick YouTube into thinking you’re in the country and will therefore allow you to bypass YouTube TV’s location restrictions.
Keep in mind that some people use a proxy or other questionable tools to bypass geo-blocks. However, these options are neither safe, nor reliable. Unlike proxies, a VPN routes your traffic through secure and encrypted VPN servers to ensure maximum protection of your data.
Likewise, if you want to bypass YouTube TV restrictions without risking your privacy, you should definitely pick a trustworthy VPN instead of other tools.
5 best VPNs for changing YouTube TV location:
There are numerous different VPNs on the market that vary in terms of quality, usability, and security. Sadly, not all of them are capable of bypassing location blocks.
It might be quite hard to pick one among so many options that would actually help you watch YouTube TV from anywhere. We get it! But the top VPNs for streaming should offer high speeds, strong protection, and useful features to help you circumvent geo-blocks.
We’ve tested out many providers to find the best YouTube TV VPNs for you. The ones we’ve selected are fast and have impressive numbers of US servers that unblock YouTube TV and other streaming platforms.
Here are our top 5 VPNs for changing YouTube TV location:
1. NordVPN – Best YouTube TV VPN with the largest US server fleet
|Servers/countries:||5100+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 NordVPN is now 68% OFF! 🔥|
NordVPN is our favorite option for watching YouTube TV from anywhere in the world because it has lots of US servers for you to choose from. And not only that, but it can bypass geo-restrictions on YouTube TV, as well as every other streaming service we’ve tested. Even better, it comes with super-fast speeds that are ideal for streaming.
It has over 5100 servers in 60 countries and comes with impressive security features to keep your information private. It also operates a strict no-logs policy and is available on all the major operating systems.
The prices of this VPN start from just $3.71 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Get this and other great deals by using our NordVPN coupon codes!
- The largest number of US servers
- Unblocks YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and all other streaming platforms
- SmartPlay technology
- Super-fast speeds
- Works on streaming devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not the cheapest option
2. Surfshark – Gives unlimited streaming possibilities
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE! 🔥|
Surfshark offers fantastic value for money, with fast speeds and a whole host of excellent features. It can get around YouTube’s location restrictions easily, as well as the ones of all the other streaming sites, including Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. It uses WireGuard to deliver impressively fast speeds.
The service has over 3200 servers in over 65 countries. And it comes with a raft of impressive security features to protect your data from online snoops. Better still, you get unlimited simultaneous connections, so everyone in the house can stream at once.
And it’s genuinely great value, with plans starting at just $2.30 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Additionally, you can use Surfshark VPN coupon codes to save up to 82%.
- Unblocks YouTube TV and multiple other streaming platforms
- SmartDNS feature and unlimited simultaneous connections
- No buffering with the WireGuard protocol
- Supports streaming on Kodi and Firestick
- Great pricing plans
- Doesn’t work with DAZN
3. VyprVPN – Cheapest VPN to bypass location restrictions
|Servers/countries:||700 servers in 70 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get VyprVPN, now 44% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
VyprVPN can bypass location restrictions on YouTube TV, along with any other streaming services you can think of, including Netflix, ESPN, and Hulu. Plus, it uses the WireGuard protocol to deliver fast and reliable speeds for smooth streaming.
It has just over 700 servers in over 70 countries. But its servers work well, including ones in the US, so you can use them to unblock YouTube TV. It also has an impressive suite of security features to keep your data secure.
This is the cheapest VPN on our list, with prices starting at just $8.33 a month. Currently, you can even get an 44% discount – just apply one of our VyprVPN coupons. Also, keep in mind that you get a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can always try it out first.
- Works with YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and other platforms
- Apps for Kodi and Amazon Firestick
- Cheapest option
- Great speeds with the WireGuard
- No SmartDNS feature
4. IPVanish – Offers great speeds at affordable prices
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||1600+ servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 65% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish is a great YouTube TV VPN that can help you easily bypass geo-blocks. It has over 1600 servers in 75+ locations to choose from and offers fast speeds with the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
You can use it to watch YouTube TV on multiple devices, as it gives unlimited simultaneous connections. Apart from that, you can also unblock other streaming platforms, like Netflix.
This VPN supports Windows, macOS, and has dedicated apps for Android and iOS devices. You can get it from as low as $3.75 per month with a 30-day money-back guarantee and enjoy even lower prices with IPVanish coupon codes!
- Bypasses geo-blocks of YouTube TV and Netflix
- Use it on unlimited number of devices
- Dedicated app for Amazon Firestick
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work with other streaming platforms like BBC iPlayer, or DAZN
5. PureVPN – Even unblocks other streaming platforms
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in over 78 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 PureVPN is now 88% OFF! 🔥|
PureVPN changes YouTube TV location with no major efforts and can even help you unblock other streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN. You can enjoy a quite impressive number of 6500+ virtual and physical servers in over 78 countries.
Additionally, it offers a vast selection of tunneling protocols like IKEv2, as well as OpenVPN UDP and TCP, so its speed doesn’t disappoint either. You can always select the best option for you and get ready to watch YouTube TV with no buffering!
- Works with YouTube TV and other platforms
- Large selection of servers and locations
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t support WireGuard
- High price
How to sign in to YouTube TV from outside the US:
Whether you want to sign in to your YouTube TV account while you’re traveling, or you’re trying to set up an account from outside the US, it’s easy to do. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install a VPN that can unblock YouTube TV. NordVPN works with YouTube TV and other streaming platforms.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Go to the YouTube TV website or the YouTube TV app and either log into your existing account or select the Start Free Trial option.
- Complete the signup process. Make sure you put down a US address and ZIP code for your location. If you don’t have one, you can get it with the help of a US address generator.
- You will need to pay for YouTube TV using a US payment method. But if you don’t have one, you can get around this by buying a YouTube gift card on Amazon.
- Once you’ve created your account, you should be able to view any YouTube TV content you want.
How to watch YouTube TV on your device:
You can use a VPN to watch YouTube TV on any of your devices: smartphones, laptops, PCs, tablets, or smart TVs. Since every gadget is different, you might need some help with the setup.
For this reason, we have prepared step-by-step instructions on how to use a VPN on different devices and operating systems to bypass geo-blocks. Check them out!
Watch YouTube TV on your PC
No matter where you are in the world, you can watch YouTube TV on any PC if you have the right VPN installed. Every operating system is different, so you have to get a compatible VPN.
You can find the best VPNs supporting your computer’s operating system here:
- VPNs for Windows – user-friendly desktop apps
- VPNs for macOS – offer intuitive interface
- VPNs for Linux – provides easy-to-use applications
Once you finally decide on which VPN to use, just follow our simple instructions to set it up and unblock YouTube TV:
- Download and install a VPN onto your Mac or Windows computer. NordVPN supports all major platforms.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Go to the YouTube TV website and either log in or create an account.
- Find what you want to watch and enjoy streaming.
If you still can’t bypass YouTube location restrictions, try clearing your cookies and cache and then log back in.
Watch YouTube TV on your phone
Whether you want to watch YouTube TV on your iPhone, Android smartphone, iPad, or tablet, a reliable VPN will let you do this.
Then, use these instructions to set it up on your phone and watch YouTube TV:
- Change your phone location and app store to the US.
- Download and install a VPN app from your device’s app store. Try NordVPN, as it has user-friendly smartphone apps.
- Create a new Apple ID or Google account and choose the US as your country.
- Open or install the YouTube TV app from the Google Play Store or Apple's App Store.
- Log in or sign up for a YouTube TV account.
- Sit back, relax, and start streaming.
Watch YouTube TV on your smart TV
Some of the most popular smart TV manufacturers, such as Samsung and LG, don't support VPN apps. Does this sound like your TV?
Here are more detailed instructions:
- Sign up for a VPN with plenty of US servers. We suggest getting NordVPN, as it has the largest US server fleet.
- Connect to a US server.
- Use your Wi-Fi router’s admin to connect it to your VPN’s network.
- Download the YouTube app onto your smart TV, and register for an account.
- Find the content you want and enjoy watching everything YouTube TV has to offer.
Some smart TVs will actually work with VPNs. And many of our favorite VPNs come with dedicated Android TV apps to make it easy to watch your favorite content.
Likewise, check if your smart TV supports your VPN’s app, as you might be able to set it up without connecting the VPN to your router.
How to stream YouTube TV on streaming devices:
Connecting your VPN to your streaming stick means that you can finally get your family together to watch the exclusive content from YouTube TV on any streaming device.
Below, you can find simple guides on how to unblock YouTube and stream it on the most popular streaming sticks like Kodi, Roku, Firestick, and other streaming devices – Apple TV or Chromecast.
Stream YouTube TV on Kodi, Roku, and Chromecast
Neither Roku allows you to download VPN apps, nor does Kodi. But there’s no need to worry as you can still get a VPN to help you watch and stream YouTube TV on these devices or Chromecast as well.
Here’s a more detailed explanation:
- Sign up for a VPN that has lots of US servers. Get NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Download and install the VPN software and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a US server.
- Insert your Roku stick into your smart TV or connect your Kodi device.
- Turn on your TV (or phone/tablet with Chromecast) and choose YouTube TV on your device’s home screen.
- Follow instructions to log in or register for an account.
- Grab a snack and enjoy watching your favorite YouTube TV content.
Stream YouTube TV on Apple TV
Apple TV doesn’t support VPN apps. But there’s another way to connect it to the VPN, so you can watch YouTube TV.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sign up for a VPN that supports Smart DNS. Our top choice is NordVPN, as it has useful streaming features.
- Check what your SmartDNS addresses are, then go to the Settings menu on your Apple TV, and scroll down to select Network at the bottom of the page.
- Hit the Wi-Fi button, and select your network. Then hit Configure DNS, and choose Manual Configuration.
- Type your DNS address when prompted and restart your Apple TV.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download and install the YouTube TV app on your Apple TV and either sign in or create an account.
- Start searching for your favorite TV shows, movies, and sports fixtures.
Alternatively, you can connect your Wi-Fi router to your VPN for Apple TV, which will let you watch YouTube TV from wherever you are.
Stream YouTube TV on Firestick
It’s very straightforward to connect a VPN for Firestick to your Amazon device, so that you could watch YouTube TV.
Follow these steps:
- Allow Unknown sources on your Amazon Firestick.
- Download and install a VPN that can give you access to YouTube TV. NordVPN is great for unblocking YouTube and other streaming platforms.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Install the YouTube TV app on your Firestick.
- Log in or create an account for YouTube TV.
- Enjoy watching your favorite content.
How to watch YouTube TV while traveling
No matter where you’re traveling, you can always access YouTube TV, provided you have a reliable VPN. You’ll be able to bypass YouTube’s location restrictions from any corner of the globe by following these steps:
- Choose a VPN with a selection of US servers, like NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN’s software on your device.
- Connect to a server in the US from the list provided.
- Go to the YouTube TV website or open the YouTube TV app and create an account.
- Start watching all your favorite shows.
If you still can’t access YouTube TV, clear your cookies and cache and try again.
It’s also worth noting that these steps might differ slightly, depending on which device you’re using. For more specific information, check our step-by-step instructions provided earlier in this guide.
How to update YouTube TV Home area
- Open YouTube TV in browser.
- Click on your profile picture.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Area.
- Select to update Home Area.
- Click to update near "Home Area".
Make sure you selected your Home Area correctly, YouTube TV lets to change your Home Area only twice a year.
How to watch YouTube TV for free online
YouTube TV is currently offering a free seven-day trial, so if there’s something specific you’d like to watch, you might want to take this offer up. After this, you’ll need to pay $64.99 a month for a YouTube TV subscription.
If you’re outside the US, you’ll also need to consider paying for a VPN. It’s good to know that many reliable VPN service providers offer trial versions of their products.
While we understand that you might want to get a completely free VPN for YouTube TV location restrictions, it’s not something we’d recommend. Free VPNs are usually a lot less secure, and they often struggle to unblock YouTube TV.
Can’t access YouTube TV with a VPN?
If you’re using a VPN to connect to a US server, but you still can’t access YouTube TV, it’s likely due to one of the following issues:
- YouTube TV can detect and block VPNs, so your VPN may not be able to unblock YouTube TV’s location restrictions.
- YouTube may have improved its geo-blocks, so even if your VPN used to be able to unblock YouTube TV, it might now be blocked.
- Your true IP address could be leaking.
Here are some tips on how to trick YouTube TV location to fix these issues:
- Check that your server is based in the US.
- Try a different US server.
- Reach out to your VPN’s customer service team for help.
If all else fails, it might be time to upgrade to a better VPN, such as NordVPN.
What to watch on YouTube TV
YouTube TV is a US streaming service that offers a vast range of live TV, and on-demand videos. It costs $64.99 a month and gives you access to 85 channels. As of the beginning of 2021, YouTube TV has more than 3 million subscribers.
If you’re a sports enthusiast, you can easily watch the most popular sports games throughout the season. Here’s a detailed list of channels and suggested VPNs to use, so you would never miss another big event:
|Channel||Event and date||Suggested VPN|
|CBS Sports||NFL (September 9 - February 13)||NordVPN|
|NBA TV||NBA (October 19 - June 19)||Surfshark|
|ESPN||NHL (October 12 - October 14)||NordVPN|
|MLB Network||MLB (April 1 - November 2)||NordVPN|
|NBCSN||EPL (September 18 - November 1)||Surfshark|
YouTube TV is not only focused on sports, but also offers a wide variety of general content that you can watch. The subscription includes most popular channels like ABC, CBS, Fox, BET, BBC, Animal Planet, Bravo, and Paramount Network. So, you can easily cosy up and see the latest episode of The Good Wife or rewatch an entire season of Grey’s Anatomy on a lazy Friday evening.
You can visit YouTube TV website to find the latest information about currently shown content.
Additional channels you can add to YouTube TV
On top of basic channels that are included in the subscription, YouTube TV gives an opportunity to add extra channels: check the variety of additional platforms and individually get only the ones you like.
YouTube TV offers HBO, AMC+, Showtime, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, and Cinemax among many others. The additional channels cost between $5 to $10 each with a few specific ones that might have a higher price.
If you want to watch YouTube TV from outside the US, a VPN can make this possible. It will let you connect to a US server, which will allow you to bypass YouTube’s geo-restrictions. A good VPN can unblock all kinds of content, so you’ll never run out of new shows to stream.
But a VPN will do so much more than just letting you access different content from around the world. It will also encrypt your data so that it remains private from cybercriminals, hackers, and other third parties. It can even help you avoid having your speeds throttled!
Has this guide helped you watch YouTube TV from outside the US? Let us know if you have any additional questions by putting them in the comments section below!
If you need any more advice, read our guide that explains how to change your location with a VPN.
Can I use YouTube TV in two different locations (while traveling)?
Yes, you can use YouTube TV on up to three separate devices simultaneously, whether you’re traveling, at your second home, or sharing your account with someone who lives in a different part of the country.
However, this streaming platform is blocked outside the US, so if you’re traveling abroad, you’ll need to bypass YouTube TV location restrictions with a VPN.
Is it legal to use a VPN to watch YouTube TV and does it work?
Yes, it’s completely legal to use a VPN to watch YouTube TV. However, it is against YouTube’s terms and conditions, so not all VPNs can bypass the location restrictions.
Only top VPNs can bypass YouTube TV’s location restrictions. All you need to do is sign up for the best YouTube TV VPN service with plenty of US servers, connect to a server in the US, and you should be able to unblock all of YouTube TV’s content.
How do I change my local channels on YouTube TV?
Open your YouTube TV account and click on your profile. Select Settings, then Area, and choose the Home Area. You’ll then see an option to Update Home Area. Click on that and add a new location. This should give you access to local channels in the location you want.
Why can’t I access YouTube TV with a VPN?
There are multiple reasons why you can’t access YouTube TV with a VPN. However, the most common cause might be the poor quality of your selected VPN services. Make sure that you’re using a strong and reliable VPN which is capable of bypassing YouTube TV geo-blocks.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to watch Sling TV online: watch Sling TV from anywhere
How to change Netflix region: watch Netflix from another country
How to watch Peacock TV from anywhere: watch Peacock TV outside the US
How to watch BBC iPlayer in USA and Abroad: watch BBC iPlayer anywhere
How to watch HBO max outside USA: watch HBO max while travelling in 2022
How to change your location on Tinder with a VPN: get Tinder dates from anywhere