If you’re seeking the best Malwarebytes alternative, we got you covered. This article includes a thoroughly researched list of top-class antivirus solutions for Malwarebytes replacement.
We’ve carefully tested our proposed antivirus programs beforehand to provide you only with those that are similar or even better in certain categories, such as malware detection rates, additional security features, pricing, and more.
- Top-class malware detection
- User-friendly interface
- Advanced security features
Additionally, you can pick any of our suggested Malwarebytes competitors and find out whether it’s better yourself. That’s because all listed antiviruses have either a free version, a 30-day money-back guarantee, or both.
So, read on and find your new favorite Malwarebytes replacement.
Why look for an alternative to Malwarebytes?
Even though Malwarebytes is a relatively popular antivirus software, it has its flaws and there are certainly better solutions. Here are the main reasons why you should consider Malwarebytes alternatives:
- Get better malware protection. According to AV-Comparatives, Malwarebytes has a 99.75% online protection rate with 7 false positives (FP) which is considered standard. Other antiviruses offer advanced protection with better scores: Bitdefender (99.99% with 8 FP), Norton (100% with 4 FP), TotalAV (99.93% with 1 FP), McAfee (99.97% with 3 FP), and Avira (99.96% with 1 FP).
- Receive more robust security against zero-day threats. We have tested Malwarebytes ourselves and it caught 7 malicious files out of 10 planted. However, its alternatives showed greater results: Bitdefender 10/10, Norton 9/10, and TotalAV 9/10.
- Avoid potential security risks. In 2020, Malwarebytes was involved in two incidents. Firstly, hackers gained access to internal company emails. Secondly, threat actors stole Malwarebytes website’s source code to create a fake site and scam unsuspecting users. So it’s advised to choose another provider to avoid such incidents.
- Save up with more affordable antivirus options. Malwarebytes costs from $33.74/year for only 1 device. Unfortunately, it’s the priciest option and you can definitely get robust protection for less, like Bitdefender ($23.99/year for 3 devices), Norton ($9.99/year for 1 device), or TotalAV ($19.00/year for 3 devices).
Best Malwarebytes alternatives in 2023
If you’re about to get a replacement for Malwarebytes, we’ve got your back. Below, you will find a list of best Malwarebytes alternatives that we’ve carefully tested and selected based on security, features, and malware protection scores.
1. Bitdefender – overall best Malwarebytes alternative
|Zero-day threat scanning:||10/10 detection rate|
|Simultaneous connections:||From 1 to 15 devices|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Bitdefender for up to 62% OFF! 🔥|
Bitdefender is our top Malwarebytes alternative since it shows better malware detection scores, shorter scanning time, and includes useful additional security features.
Malware protection: Independent test results by AV-Comparatives show that Bitdefender has a nearly perfect malware detection score of 99.99% which is higher than what Malwarebytes can offer – 99.75%. Additionally, the firm has listed Bitdefender’s protection as Advanced+ while Malwarebytes’ as Standard.
Security features: Even though both antivirus programs include real-time protection, anti-tracker technology, and wifi security features, Bitdefender has something that Malwarebytes cannot offer – a firewall. It acts as a barrier between your computer and the Internet to block any malware attacks.
Performance: During our tests, Bitdefender was 2.5 times faster than Malwarebytes. It took 9 minutes and 25 seconds to perform a scan while with Malwarebytes – almost 23 minutes.
Additional features: Bitdefender VPN, a file shredder, and a password manager are included even with the basic antivirus subscription. Unfortunately, Malwarebytes only offers such perks with its most expensive plan.
All in all, Bitdefender is definitely the best Malwarebytes alternative in terms of security, features, and even price. You can get it from $23.99/year for 5 devices with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read more about this product in our full Bitdefender Antivirus review.
- Top-class malware protection
- Excellent scanning performance
- Useful extra features
- Generous free version
- Affordable prices
- Full VPN access requires paying extra
2. Norton – top replacement for Malwarebytes
|Zero-day threat scanning:||9/10 detection rate|
|Simultaneous connections:||From 1 to 10 devices|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 83% OFF Norton Antivirus 🔥|
Norton is our second best replacement option for Malwarebytes. Mainly because it has superior malware detection scores, more features, and better performance.
Malware protection: During AV-Comparatives tests, Norton displayed a flawless 100% malware detection score. Also, it got only 4 false positives compared to 7 by Malwarebytes. The independent testing firm rates Malwarebytes protection as Standard while its alternative’s as Advanced+.
Security features: With both antivirus suites, you get real-time protection against malware, ransomware, and online threats. However, Norton has a Smart Firewall and a vulnerability assessment to find your device’s weak spots.
Performance: Our tests show that Norton uses a significantly lower amount of CPU resources during scans than Malwarebytes. Also, it includes the Norton Power Eraser tool to get rid of unwanted programs that might be slowing your computer down.
Additional features: You can get Norton Secure VPN, Parental Controls, a password manager, and a SafeCam feature with the standard Norton plan. Well, Malwarebytes can only offer a VPN and yet still for a relatively expensive price.
To conclude, Norton is an excellent alternative to Malwarebytes since it has so much to offer. What’s even better is that its prices start from $9.99/year with a generous 60-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more about this provider in our detailed Norton Antivirus review.
- Flawless malware detection scores
- Lightweight solution
- Includes many extra features
- Affordable subscription options
- Extended money-back guarantee
- No free version
3. TotalAV – great alternative option to Malwarebytes
|Zero-day threat scanning:||9/10 detection rate|
|Simultaneous connections:||From 1 to 6 devices|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get TotalAV, now 84% OFF! 🔥|
If you’re about to give another antivirus than Malwarebytes a go, TotalAV is also our alternative suggestion. It completes scans quicker, detects viruses more effectively, and is more affordable.
Malware protection: TotalAV passed AV-Comparatives tests with impressive results – caught 99.93% of malware files with only 1 false positive. These are better malware detection scores than Malwarebytes’ and makes it a better security option.
Security features: In addition to real-time and ransomware protection, TotalAV includes a WebShield extension with a Safe Search feature. It redirects all your queries through TotalAV’s web engine to warn about untrustworthy sites and protect against online threats.
Performance: We have tested both antivirus suites by performing a full scan on our device. TotalAV in this case completed a scan in 6 minutes and 36 seconds – that’s not something Malwarebytes can offer.
Additional features: If you opt for a premium version of TotalAV, it includes a VPN for safe browsing and even a password manager with the highest-tier plan. There’s also an ad blocker and system clean-up tools.
To conclude, TotalAV offers better performance and more security features compared to Malwarebytes which makes it a great alternative choice. The subscription prices start from $19.00/year for 3 devices and include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more about this antivirus in our comprehensive TotalAV review.
- Good malware detection rates
- Scanning doesn’t take long
- Great additional features
- Basic free version
- Cheaper than Malwarebytes
- Safe Search doesn’t always work
4. Avira – good replacement for Malwarebytes free and paid versions
|Zero-day threat scanning:||9/10 detection rate|
|Simultaneous connections:||From 1 to unlimited|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 1 year of Avira at 40% OFF! 🔥|
Avira is a good alternative to replace both Malwarebytes free and paid versions. It not only has better protection capabilities but also includes numerous useful security features even with a free plan.
Malware protection: During AV-Comparatives tests, Avira showed a 99.96% effectiveness in catching viruses with only 1 false positive. In overall protection testing awards it is rated as Advanced+ and Malwarebytes only as Standard.
Security features: In addition to real-time and ransomware protection, Avira offers web and email protection features. Also, there’s a Software updater and a firewall which is not something you get with Malwarebytes.
Performance: Avira does everything in its power to optimize your computer’s performance. That includes features such as an Optimizer, Battery Saver, Duplicate Finder, and Driver Updater.
Additional features: Even with a free version, you get an Avira Phantom VPN, a password manager, a file shredder, and a Safe Shopping plug-in. Even though the VPN services come with a data cap, Malwarebytes only include those with a paid plan.
All in all, you should definitely consider Avira if you’re about to stop using Malwarebytes. Even its free version offers numerous security features that are not available with Malwarebytes. If you want more, you can get a subscription from $30.99/year.
Read more about this provider in our full Avira antivirus review.
- Robust malware protection
- Many security features
- System optimization tools
- Excellent free version
- Compatible with all major platforms
- Free version limits VPN usage
5. McAfee – solid Malwarebytes alternative for multiple devices
|Zero-day threat scanning:||5/10 detection rate|
|Simultaneous connections:||From 1 to unlimited|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get McAfee, save up to 67% 🔥|
If you need to protect more than 5 devices, you might search for Malwarebytes alternatives and McAfee is a solid choice. It not only has a plan with unlimited connections but also provides superior security.
Malware protection: According to AV-Comparatives test, McAfee protects against 99.97% of malicious attacks with merely 3 false positives. These are definitely great malware detection results that beat what Malwarebytes is offering.
Security features: With McAfee you get protection against ransomware, a vulnerability scanner, and a WebAdvisor feature. The last one is designed to keep you safe while browsing online.
Performance: In terms of performance, McAfee has a Speed Up feature that includes a Web Boost and an App Boost options. The former one speeds up your web browsing experience while the latter optimizes your apps.
Additional features: You can enjoy the McAfee True Key password manager, a VPN, a shredder, and even identity theft protection with a premium version. It’s definitely a full package compared to Malwarebytes' offering.
In conclusion, McAfee has great options to protect all of your devices. Also, its malware detection rates are higher compared to Malwarebytes making it a solid alternative choice. The pricing starts from $39.99/year with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Learn more about this antivirus in our McAfee review.
- Strong protection against malware
- Secures online activities
- System optimization features
- Multiple extra features
- Free trial
- Apple products have fewer features
Which Malwarebytes alternative should I pick?
Before choosing a Malwarebytes alternative you should consider whether there are specific features you need or do you have a certain budget. That might help you pick the best one as all of our listed alternatives provide excellent malware protection.
However, if you’re still not sure which one’s the one, here are some useful criterias to consider:
- Free version. You can always get a grasp of what the antivirus is all about by using a free version. For example, Bitdefender, TotalAV, and Avira offer plans that are completely free of charge. If you like the software and need more features, you can upgrade to paid plans anytime.
- Simultaneous connections. In order to protect all of your devices, you should consider an antivirus with a generous simultaneous connection allowance. For example, McAfee is a great option to secure up to 10 devices at once.
- Features. Some antivirus programs include a wide variety of additional features, such as a VPN, a password manager, or data breach monitoring. If you’re not already using these services, it’s an excellent way to get an all-in-one package.
- Money-back guarantee. In case you pick an antivirus and it doesn’t seem right for you, consider whether it offers a money-back guarantee beforehand. With Norton, you can get a full refund within an impressive 60-day period.
How we tested and selected these Malwarebytes alternatives
In order to provide you with the best Malwarebytes alternatives, we’ve tested multiple antivirus solutions. During our research, we’ve examined the products by taking into consideration the following aspects:
- Malware detection rates. To find the most secure antivirus programs, we’ve looked into malware detection rates provided by independent testing labs, such as AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.
- Zero-day threat scanning results. To get even more reliable results, we’ve completed our own zero-day threat scans. For that, 10 malware files were planted to get relevant detection scores.
- Variety of security features. While Malwarebytes is merely focused on malware removal, we’ve looked into alternatives that could offer more. Thus, the listed antivirus options include additional security features, like VPN services, a password manager, Parental Controls, and many more.
- Reputation. Unfortunately, Malwarebytes is known to be involved in a few security incidents. Likewise, we’ve looked into more reputable alternatives to help you get top-class protection.
- Compatibility. It’s essential to secure all of your devices. So you can be sure that our suggested replacement for Malwarebytes is compatible with a wide range of different operating systems.
- Pricing. You shouldn’t need to spend a fortune to get quality security for your devices. Thus, we’ve picked reliable solutions to replace quite expensive Malwarebytes plans with more affordable ones.
Do I really need an antivirus tool?
Yes, you must absolutely get a reputable antivirus tool if you’re getting rid of Malwarebytes. The number of cyber attacks is only rising and hackers are not only targeting large-scale organizations but individuals as well.
Therefore, it’s necessary to use a top-class antivirus for robust protection against ransomware, malware, trojans, and even online threats. For example, best antivirus programs often include a dark web monitoring feature that ensures your sensitive information is not exposed.
Also, they offer a password manager to help you create unique new passwords and manage existing ones. Additionally, some include a VPN that secures your connection when using public wifi.
All in all, getting antivirus software definitely adds an extra layer of security even if you’re extremely careful when browsing online.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked