If you’re looking for the best antivirus software to improve your digital security, it's easy to get lost in a sea of providers. There are always key features to look out for – like malware blocks and password managers – but what if you want genuine user testimonials?
You can’t beat a Reddit thread for recommendations online. Antivirus subreddits are where you’ll find real opinions, honest reviews, and true user experiences of antivirus products.
But with so many providers to compare, going through every subreddit and finding the best comments takes a lot of time. To make your life easier, we’ve already done the research, so here’s a detailed look at the best Antivirus software according to Reddit in 2023.
Best antivirus Reddit users recommend in 2023:
- Norton 360 – Reddit’s favorite antivirus
- Bitdefender – versatile antivirus with strong protection
- Avira – antivirus provider with an excellent free version
- ESET – dependable antivirus solution
- McAfee – feature-rich antivirus software
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get up to 66% OFF Norton Antivirus
Key factors Reddit users rely on when deciding the best antivirus
We noted a selection of the key antivirus software points that Reddit users were most interested in. Here’s what you should look out for:
- Security features. Redditors want their antivirus software to have reliable security features. From blocking malware to protecting your data, digital safety is the top priority with any antivirus.
- Performance. It’s all well and good having a powerful antivirus, but if use takes too much of your device’s resources, you’ll be frustrated by the slowdown. Providers that strike the right balance of strength and efficiency are deemed best.
- Price. Online communities know how to find the best deals, and they know when a provider is charging too much for its service. We checked the comments to find antivirus software that was shouted out for value and features.
Best antivirus software by Reddit users – our detailed list
After considering each of the important factors that Reddit users pay attention to, as well as all the comments we were able to find, we compiled a list of the best antivirus software by Reddit users:
1. Norton 360 – Reddit’s favorite antivirus
|Simultaneous connections:||10 devices|
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Coupons:||🔥Get up to 66% OFF Norton Antivirus🔥|
Reddit users often recommend Norton 360 antivirus due to its efficiency and malware detection.
Norton 360 catches 100% of all zero-day malware, barely affects your device speed, and never reports false positives.
We conducted tests ourselves, and the results backed up Reddit’s praise. Real-time protection immediately blocked any threat it was exposed to. Its quick scan is as fast and efficient as you’d expect. And for a more thorough search to root out even the sneakiest of malware, you have the full scan option too.
All its apps are intuitive, easy to use, and support most devices (Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows). It offers a range of specialist security features, including a password manager, smart firewall, parental control, dark web monitor, VPN, and secure cloud backup.
You’ll also enjoy unique features like ID restoration support in the event of identity theft and a social media monitor for extra protection online. If you’re interested in cryptocurrency, you’ll enjoy mining with Norton Crypto.
Norton 360 antivirus starts from $19.99/year, and you can trial the service for one week completely free.
Read the full Norton 360 Antivirus review to get all the details.
- Excellent malware protection
- Extensive feature suite
- Doesn’t drain system resources
- Easy-to-use apps
- 7-day trial period
- Doesn’t offer a free version
2. Bitdefender – versatile antivirus with strong protection
|Simultaneous connections:||Up to 5 devices|
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Coupons:||🔥Get Bitdefender for up to 62% OFF!🔥|
Bitdefender is another antivirus that gets a lot of respect on Reddit. It's very dependable, blocking 100% of 4-week and zero-day malware threats.
It’s also easy on your system, with scans and checks barely using up much resource. This Redditor is a big fan who suggests you should tinker with the settings to get the perfect setup for your needs:
We put Bitdefender to the test and can confirm that its scans are fast and effective. A quick scan was completed in about 2 minutes, while a full scan finished in around 14 minutes. We threw 10 malware threats its way, and they were all blocked.
Bitdefender has easy-to-use apps for all the top operating systems. So whether you’re on Windows, Android, iOS, or macOS – Bitdefender has you covered.
Bitdefender’s cybersecurity features offer malware and ransomware blocks, Antispam, Anti-tracker, password manager, SafePay, and microphone/webcam protection.
If you’d prefer to get all the features on the paid version, prices for a Bitwarden subscription start from $23.99/year. The premium subscription also includes a VPN.
Read our Bitdefender 2023 review to find out more about this antivirus software.
- Protects against malware
- Generous free version
- Varied features
- Regular updates
- Attractive pricing
- Slight strain on the system during a full scan
3. Avira – antivirus provider with an excellent free version
|Simultaneous connections:||Unlimited devices|
|Platforms:||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS|
|Coupons:||🔥Get 1 year of Avira at 40% OFF!🔥|
We found Avira antivirus to be the next most popular AV provider on Reddit. During tests, this provider blocked 99.2% of malware. Avira also boasts the fastest full scan on this list – it located and blocked all 10 threat files in just 3 minutes/30 seconds. It used a fair chunk of processing power, but it’s quick, so that isn’t much of an issue.
Avira also delivers an enviable list of features: ransomware/malware blocker, safe shopping, file shredder, browser protection, auto software updater, password manager, firewall, and more.
Redditers also enjoy its free version. Here’s a testament to its features and excellent free version:
Avira also has a pretty unique tool in the shape of its device optimization feature. Where some AVs slow your computer down, Avira can help your boot up faster.
The antivirus works on the major OS platforms (Windows, Android, macOS, iOS), but it’s worth noting that the macOS version is missing some features like download scans and email protection.
Avira’s costs start from $30.99/year. There’s a very generous free version to use and a 30-day money-back guarantee for the paid plan.
Want to read more? Our Avira Antivirus review fills you in on all the features.
- Fantastic free version
- Real-time threat protection
- Strong feature suite
- VPN included
- Intuitive apps
- Only the Windows app gets every feature
4. ESET – dependable antivirus solution
|Platforms:||Windows, Android, macOS, Linux|
|Coupons:||🔥Get ESET, save up to 33%🔥|
The last provider on this list is ESET – and Reddit has a lot of good things to say about this antivirus:
A no-nonsense solution, ESET blocked 100% of all attempted cyber attacks during independent tests. And we confirmed that with our checks – ESET detected every malicious file we tried on it.
The scanning settings did take a bit of deciphering, and we found custom scans to work the best.
System performance wasn’t affected either – none of the apps we ran during the scans experienced any disruption. In fact, since ESET is cloud-based most of the heavy lifting is done on its servers. So your device can focus on keeping your system running smoothly:
Security settings include protection from malware and ransomware, but you can also get network monitors, a Safe Browsing feature, and a password manager.
ESET is available for Windows, macOS, Android, and Linux, macOS, but there isn’t currently an app for iOS.
ESET’s starter plan costs $39.99/year, and there are different options based on your package and the number of devices you want to cover.
Go to the ESET Antivirus review for further info.
- Cloud-based software
- Easy on your system
- Efficient malware blocker
- A range of price plans
- No iOS app
5. McAfee – feature-rich antivirus software
|Platforms:||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS|
|Free trial:||Free mobile version available|
|Coupons:||🔥 Get McAfee, save up to 67% 🔥|
McAfee is another well-known antivirus that comes with a Reddit recommendation. It offers more than just regular malware protection and has a suite of features to protect you.
This antivirus provider caught 100% of 0-day and 4-week threats during tests, and it doesn’t drain your hardware either, as this Redditor confirms:
However, we had to run a full scan for McAfee to detect our 10 test malware files. That said, it blocked all threats long before the scan was complete – it’s hard to find an AV that performs with such efficiency.
Aside from blocking malicious files, McAfee offers features like file encryption, a password manager, a file shredder, ID theft protection, a home security network, and even a VPN in its subscription plans.
McAfee’s user-friendly apps support the top operating systems – Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS.
McAfee’s costs begin at $39.99/year, with several pricing tiers available. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee included with all price plans, so you can try out the service before you commit.
Read our complete McAfee Antivirus review to get more info on this AV provider.
- All main features are on the basic package
- Powerful firewall
- Apps for all major OS
- Advanced features like Home Security Network
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can be a system strain at times
Why a Reddit user’s opinion might be relevant
If you’re wondering why you should listen to Reddit users in the first place, these reasons may show you that choosing an antivirus option based on subreddit comments is an astute move:
- They’re genuine antivirus users. No marketing speak or sales tricks – these comments are from real people. You’ll find honest reviews and enlightening insights on what’s good (and bad) about antivirus software providers.
- Redditors don’t pull any punches. Reddit is an unforgiving landscape. If there’s anything wrong with an antivirus, you can bet it will be exposed in a subreddit discussion.
- It’s easy to spot suspicious posts. If you’re concerned that some Reddit recommendations could be fake accounts or sponsored comments – check the user’s post activity. If the comments are varied, there’s no need to worry. But if it’s the only post or they’re all focused on one brand, you’ve likely just uncovered a sneaky marketing campaign.
- Poor products will be called out. Keep an eye on the right subreddits, and you’ll quickly find out if there’s an antivirus provider to avoid.
- Reddit users are hard to please. A great review from Reddit is something to take very seriously – Redditors are famously harsh. This will give you confidence that providers who get the seal of approval genuinely offer a reliable product.
How to not get confused by Reddit comments
Trying to filter through Reddit’s hot posts, latest comments, and upvotes/downvotes can be confusing.
When an antivirus question is posted, there’ll likely be a torrent of comments to sift through, but if you keep a few points in mind, you’ll quickly be able to figure out which users are worth paying attention to.
Firstly, be aware that companies use Reddit to promote their services. It’s common for a seemingly impartial user to be a member of an antivirus provider’s marketing team. If the comment is just blanket praise (with a link or voucher code), that’s a big red flag.
The comments to trust will be users who discuss the good and bad points of a product. When the discussion is balanced, you’re more likely to be reading the thoughts of a genuine user. So take note, and you’ll soon be adept at spotting a faker from the real deal.
Antivirus software which Reddit users don't recommend
Redditors aren’t too fond of antivirus software that doesn’t provide decent security, is too expensive, or takes up your system’s resources.
Here are a couple of providers which Redditors think are at the bottom of the barrel:
- Avast. You don’t have to go far into an antivirus subreddit to find negative comments about Avast. This provider has been derided for poor malware detection, system slowdown, and shady user data practices:
- Windows Defender. If you think you’re good to use the AV included as standard with your Windows PC, Reddit does not recommend it as a viable form of malware protection:
Does Reddit recommend free antivirus software?
Reddit users have mixed views on free antivirus providers. Some comments suggest that free antivirus is fine if you only need basic protection, but the consensus is that a paid provider is always better.
That’s mainly because you’ll always get more features and tighter security when you pay for a service. And in today’s world of sophisticated malware and determined hackers, risking your digital safety for the sake of a small fee isn’t worth it.
Reddit users tend to recommend antivirus that offers a free version to try – and many providers do. This is a good way to try out a product without making a financial commitment, but remember, you won't get the full suite of features unless you upgrade to the paid version. Bitdefender has one of the best free versions available, as does Avira. Both are providers you can trust.
Check out this guide on the best free antivirus providers in our detailed guide.
Best antivirus subreddits to subscribe to
If you want to dive into Reddit yourself and learn more about antivirus software, here are some decent subreddits to explore:
- r/antivirus/ – the main antivirus subreddit where you’ll find reviews, comments, questions, tips, troubleshoots, and more on antivirus software, providers, and apps.
- r/bitdefender/, r/eset/, r/mcafee/ – you’ll find discussions and comments focussed on the specific provider and its products.
- r/cybersecurityadvice/ – useful subreddit for general advice on all things related to cyber security.
Reddit is a superb resource for user-focused antivirus recommendations and testimonials. There are insightful subreddits and comments to help you pick the right provider.
When researching the best Antivirus software according to Reddit, we discovered that most Redditors prefer AV providers with an easy-to-use interface, malware blockers, a fleet of advanced features, and apps that don’t put a strain on your system’s resources.
Reddit users aren’t paid to offer their thoughts – they’ll spot a marketing post from a mile away and downvote it to oblivion. With that in mind, the antivirus providers on this list, like Norton 360 and Bitdefender, deliver AV software that’s been rated and reviewed by actual users. So you can be sure they’ll provide you with a reliable service.
Let us know which antivirus provider you like best in the comments section below, and ask any questions you may have on this subject too!
Best antivirus deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
What's the best antivirus by Reddit?
Reddit recommends Norton 360 as the best antivirus for your devices. It offers advanced threat protection, unmatched malware scans, a suite of security features (including a VPN, firewall, and dark web monitor), and simple apps for most major operating systems.
Which antivirus is the most secure according to Reddit?
Reddit rates Norton 360 as the most secure antivirus on the market. It detects 100% of zero-day malware within an instant and provides a suite of unbeatable security features – including a dark web monitor, password manager, secure cloud backup, smart firewall, and more.
What is the worst antivirus on Reddit?
Windows Defender and Avast regularly come up as the worst antivirus providers on Reddit. Users suggest they’re not effective at protecting you from malware and cyber threats.
What's the best antivirus for Mac according to Reddit?
Macs are thought to have better security than other devices, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need antivirus. Choose a Reddit-recommended antivirus provider like Norton or Bitdefender, and you’ll never have to worry about malware, ransomware, or other cyber threats infecting your Apple devices.