Best VPNs for AT&T in 2023
AT&T (also known as ATT) is one of the most popular Internet Service Providers in the USA. However, you might want to use a VPN if you’re a client of this ISP.
You see, AT&T might throttle your internet speed depending on your activities (for example, when streaming, gaming, or torrenting). Like all the other ISPs, it also can see your browsing history, which you might want to hide from prying eyes.
For this reason, we picked a number of the best VPNs for AT&T that would help you protect your identity, avoid throttling, and allow you to unblock all the websites you need.
Top 5 best AT&T VPNs:
- NordVPN - the best VPN for AT&T
- Surfshark - unlimited simultaneous connections
- IPVanish - versatile AT&T VPN
- PrivateVPN - a really secure VPN for AT&T
- PureVPN - can be audited anytime
Why do I need a VPN for AT&T?
Even if you’ve never thought of it, getting a VPN for AT&T can be extremely useful. That’s right - many internet users don’t know that a VPN may help with a lot of things like:
- Speed throttling. Even the most reputable ISPs can throttle your speed (a.k.a. make it significantly slower) when you’re streaming, gaming, or doing other activities that use a lot of bandwidth. Luckily, a VPN hides what you’re doing online, and thus AT&T won’t throttle your speed anymore.
- Data collection. Did you know that your Internet Service Provider can see everything you’re googling? That’s right - even when you’re on Incognito mode. However, a good VPN will turn your internet activities invisible to AT&T, making your browsing truly anonymous.
- Content blocks. A VPN will help you bypass the annoying website and streaming service blocks that are put in place by your ISP, the website itself, or your school/workplace.
The best VPNs for AT&T - our detailed list
So, if you can’t wait to finally get a VPN for AT&T, check out the mini reviews below and choose the tool that you find the most useful for your particular needs:
1. NordVPN - the best overall VPN for AT&T
|Servers/countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday Deal! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
NordVPN is not only the best VPN for AT&T - it’s one of the best VPNs overall. The tool is extremely versatile, meaning you’ll be able to use it for virtually anything - streaming, torrenting, hiding your identity, and more.
It uses the super-secure AES-256 encryption, which is also used by online banks and other websites that need the highest level of protection. And when it comes to tunneling protocols, NordVPN offers quite a good bunch, which includes the proprietary NordLynx protocol, which is an upgraded version of WireGuard.
As a result, you’ll get really good speeds that are perfect for torrenting and watching movies. Talking about movies - NordVPN unblocks lots of different streaming platforms, so you’ll always have something to watch. Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer - all of this and more in your hands.
NordVPN costs only 2.99/month. Oh, and there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind.
For more information, check out our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark - unlimited simultaneous connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Cyber Monday! Get 80% OFF Surfshark + 5 months FREE🔥|
If you don’t have much money to spare, Surfshark will be the perfect VPN for you. It is not only cheap, but it also offers unlimited simultaneous connections, which means that it will cover all of your devices without any extra costs.
And as Surfshark uses the revered WireGuard tunneling protocol, it is able to maintain really good speeds. In other words, the decrease in speed will be minimal. Alternatively, your speed might actually increase if AT&T is throttling your bandwidth.
Surfshark is also really secure, as it uses AES-256 encryption. It also has a good kill switch, includes obfuscated servers, and boasts an audited no-logs policy.
And in case you encounter any problems, you can write to a customer service agent anytime as the provider offers a 24/7 live chat.
3. IPVanish - all-round VPN for AT&T
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||Cyber Monday! Get 81% OFF IPVanish + 3 months free!|
As you can tell from its name, IPVanish is perfect for hiding your real IP address (together with all your internet activity) from AT&T. It’s a really secure tool thanks to AES-256 encryption, a no-logs policy, a functional kill switch, and a number of secure tunneling protocols.
IPVanish is also excellent for torrenting and unblocking Netflix. It offers 2,200 servers in 52 countries, which is enough to find a location that suits your needs the best.
It’s also nice to know that IPVanish offers unlimited simultaneous connections and works with lots of different operating systems like Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. The apps are also really user-friendly, so you’ll be able to use the tool even if you are only a beginner.
To learn more, take a look at our IPVanish review.
4. PrivateVPN - a good choice for streaming
|Servers/countries:||200 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
Even though PrivateVPN doesn't offer many servers, it makes up for it in other areas. For example, it has customizable encryption (you can choose between AES-256 and AES-128), unblocks Netflix, and other platforms, and has a bunch of useful features.
So, when it comes to extra features, PrivateVPN doesn’t disappoint. It packs HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies, supports port forwarding, and allows you to torrent.
The tool includes 10 simultaneous connections and works on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Just keep in mind that there’s no graphical interface for Linux, but that’s also the case with all the other AT&T VPNs on this list.
For more information, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. PureVPN - an AT&T VPN you can trust
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6,500+ servers in 65+ countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
If you’re not sure whether you trust VPN services, you can be sure about PureVPN. It is the first VPN with an Always-On Audit, which means that it can be checked for security and trustworthiness anytime.
PureVPN also uses the fast and secure WireGuard protocol, as well as the uncrackable AES-256 encryption.
Security aside, there are many other uses of PureVPN. It unblocks Netflix, has a 24/7 live chat, offers split tunneling, and includes 10 simultaneous connections. There’s also a 31-day money-back guarantee that will help you test out the service risk-free.
For more information, check out our PureVPN review.
How we picked these AT&T VPNs
When choosing a VPN for a specific purpose, specific criteria should be held in mind. Luckily, picking the best VPNs for AT&T is not a difficult task - we simply had to pay attention to the following things:
- Security. A good VPN must keep you secure. It should not leak your IP or have DNS leaks. Also, it should offer advanced security settings like obfuscated servers and a kill switch.
- Speed. It’s essential for a VPN to have a selection of fast and secure tunneling protocols like OpenVPN, WireGuard, or the custom NordLynx.
- Price. Nobody likes to go over their budget. That’s why our list includes lots of great inexpensive options that cost only a few bucks a month. Also, all of them offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Streaming. Having a wide selection of movies to watch is amazing - and a VPN will certainly help you with that. Our top choices unblock a myriad of streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus.
- Torrenting. AT&T, like many other internet providers, may throttle your speed while you’re torrenting. That’s why our selected VPNs not only support torrenting, but also offer integrated proxies for that.
- User-friendliness. Even though VPNs are becoming increasingly popular, a huge chunk of internet users still hasn’t used one. For this reason, we chose the services that offer easy-to-use applications.
How to use a VPN with AT&T
It’s really easy to use a VPN with AT&T. Just follow these steps and you’ll become anonymous in no time:
1. Pick a reputable VPN - just like NordVPN
2. Fill in the required data and purchase the service
3. Download the .exe file and launch it
4. Follow the instructions on the installation wizard
5. Log into your account and connect to your preferred server
Keep in mind that different VPN providers can offer different payment methods. So, if one VPN doesn’t have, say, PayPal, you can simply try purchasing another tool.
AT&T not working with a VPN: what to do?
If you’ve bought a VPN and it’s not working with AT&T, there might be a few possible reasons. For example, the cookies on your device might expose your real location. Alternatively, the VPN might be leaking your real IP address. It’s also possible that the site you’re trying to access is simply blocking the VPN of your choice.
Luckily, there are a few ways of fixing your VPN connection. For example, you can:
- Try using a different tunneling protocol
- Connect to another server or country
- Switch to another browser or turn on the Incognito mode
- Delete all the cache and cookies on your device
- Check your IP address while connected to the VPN (this will show whether your tool is leaking the IP)
- Contact the customer support of your VPN
If nothing helps, you might need to try out another VPN provider.
Can I watch DirecTV with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to unblock DirecTV when you’re outside of the United States. Simply pick a US server and enjoy a myriad of TV channels like ESPN, Fox, and Nickelodeon.
As DirecTV now comes bundled with AT&T, it’s extremely convenient to have a VPN for both purposes.
Can I use a free VPN for AT&T?
Yes, it’s possible to use a free VPN for AT&T. However, there might be certain dangers of using a totally free VPN with this or any other ISPs. That’s because a free tool might collect your personal information, display intrusive ads, or simply not work too well.
However, there are a few freemium services that also offer a premium package. These include Atlas VPN, ProtonVPN, and Windscribe. Just keep in mind that the free versions of these VPNs have certain limitations, for example, data and speed limits.
As an alternative to a freemium VPN, you can also try buying a regular VPN service and making use of its 30-day money-back guarantee. Providers like NordVPN and Surfshark offer precisely that, and you won’t be asked any questions when returning the service.
All things considered, it can be extremely useful to have a VPN for AT&T. When you’re connected to a VPN server, the ISP won’t be able to track down your internet history, throttle your speed, or otherwise mess with your online experience.
In our opinion, NordVPN and Surfshark are the best VPNs for this purpose. They offer really fast tunneling protocols, audited no-log policies, and even a 30-day money-back guarantee that will let you get your money back in case you are not satisfied.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
What's the best VPN for AT&T?
The best VPN for AT&T is NordVPN. It’s very versatile in terms of what you want to do online (streaming, torrenting, gaming, etc.) and offers complete security thanks to the audited no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, and advanced security features.
Will a VPN stop AT&T throttling?
Yes, a VPN will stop speed throttling because it will hide your online activity from AT&T. That’s because throttling is based on what you do online, and the ISP won’t know what you’re doing.
Does AT&T know I'm using a VPN?
Yes, AT&T or any other ISP can see the fact that you’re using a VPN - but nothing else. It won’t see your browsing history and real location while the VPN is activated.
Can I install a VPN on the AT&T router?
No, it’s not possible to install a VPN on the router provided by AT&T. You will either need to install the service on all of your devices or use your own router instead.