Best VPNs for Minecraft in 2021
Minecraft is played by 140 million people around the world. And with good reason - it's a great game for any occasion. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to play at school or work. And if you find yourself IP banned from a server, you're going to have trouble playing from home, too. Unfair!
Luckily, VPN services are here to help. You just need to find yourself a VPN with a range of apps, good speeds, a selection of servers, and features like port forwarding (if you need it).
Everything you need to know about the best VPNs for Minecraft can be found in this article - so read on to get all the info.
5 Best VPNs for Minecraft:
- NordVPN - Best VPN for Minecraft
- Surfshark - Unlimited VPN connections
- PrivateVPN - a decent choice to bypass blocks
- Atlas VPN - a free VPN for Minecraft
- VyprVPN - Cheapest VPN for Minecraf
How to play Minecraft anywhere or remove an IP ban:
Here’s how you can remove a Minecraft server ban, bypass Minecraft worlds, or go around school WiFi restrictions with a VPN:
- Choose a realiable VPN - we recommend NordVPN.
- Install the VPN to your device.
- Launch your VPN and connect to a new server.
- You’re ready to play! You’ll have a new IP with no ban, so you can get stuck into Minecraft again.
Best VPNs for Minecraft – our detailed list
We ran tests to select the best VPNs for Minecraft, paying close attention to their offered range of functions, speeds, effectiveness, and subscription price. After narrowing the list down, we detailed seven excellent VPNs that would perform well with Minecraft.
Editor's disclosure: We are aware of and concerned about the Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) recently released by the US Department of Justice. It names Express VPN’s CIO Daniel Gericke among the persons who received monetary penalties and agreed to “full cooperation with the relevant Department and FBI components” due to their past misuse of covert surveillance tools, targeting US citizens, as well as journalists and political parties.
At the moment, there are no direct connections established between the misuse of such tools and ExpressVPN. However, in order to offer our readers only the most reliable and safest VPN solutions available, we are temporarily removing ExpressVPN from our lists until further privacy, data security, and ethical evaluations are completed. You can read our full story about the agreement here.
- Baseline testing speed: 300 Mbps download/300 Mbps upload
1. NordVPN - Best VPN for Minecraft
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN, now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
We’ve chosen NordVPN as our overall best VPN for Minecraft, and here’s why.
NordVPN is packed with market-leading features. For a start, NordVPN offers more than 5,500 servers in 59 countries that you can use to play Minecraft. Useful if your IP address has been blocked or if you want to play at work or school. For a little extra, you can even get a dedicated IP address - this feature practically guarantees you’ll never be blocked again.
It’s fast, you can expect great speeds of around 249 Mbps with the NordLynx tunneling protocol. With speeds like this, your Minecraft sessions will be free from lag.
This VPN has excellent apps for all major devices. So whether you’re playing Minecraft on a PC, Mac, smartphone, or tablet, NordVPN has an app for you. With 6 simultaneous connections offered, other people in your household can also connect and enjoy all the benefits.
NordVPN excels in general VPN features. It unblocks all the big streaming sites (including American Netflix), offers SmartDNS, is probably the most secure and private VPN you can get, and can be customized to suit your usage.
NordVPN subscription can be yours for as little as $3.30 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Many servers to unblock Minecraft
- Fast connections with the NordLynx protocol
- Dedicated IP option
- Great at unblocking streaming sites
- Features include Smart DNS, split tunneling
- Great apps for all major platforms
- 24/7 live chat support
- No port forwarding
2. Surfshark - Unlimited VPN connections
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
Surfshark offers a top-tier service with unlimited simultaneous connections - that means you can use it with every single one of your devices. You can even share the VPN with friends and family.
A subscription gets you more than 3,000 servers in 65 locations, so if you want to get around a Minecraft block, you’re amply covered. Speeds are excellent, Surfshark has the industry-leading WireGuard tunneling protocol, and we averaged 263 Mbps off a 300 Mbps baseline.
Whatever device you like to play Minecraft on - Surfshark has a good app for it. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android - you name it, there’s an easy to use and feature-packed app available. You can even install Surfshark to your router and connect your game console and smart TV.
When you’re done playing Minecraft for the day, you might want to watch some shows or a movie. With Surfshark, you can unblock all the major streaming sites and watch geo-blocked content from around the world. American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and many more platforms will be completely unblocked.
Surfshark is also very cheap! Starting at just $2.49 a month, including a 30-day money-back guarantee, this is a VPN service that’s hard to pass up.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast server connections are great for Minecraft
- Apps for all your main devices
- Very cheap
- 24/7 support
- Unblocks all the big streaming sites
- No port forwarding
3. PrivateVPN - a decent choice to bypass blocks
|Locations:||150 servers in 62 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PrivateVPN, now 79% OFF!|
PrivateVPN is a great option for Minecraft, as it allows you to easily get around server bans or work/school blocks. It also offers a dedicated IP option if you’re willing to pay a bit extra.
If you’re interested in hosting your own Minecraft server, you’ll be pleased to know PrivateVPN has the vital port forwarding feature.
The service offers pretty good speeds when the OpenVPN UDP protocol is in use. You also get 6 simultaneous connections, which is likely to cover all your devices. And the apps cover most devices, including Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. However, if you use Linux, you might need to use manual connections.
If you’re looking to unblock streaming sites, PrivateVPN gives decent results and will get you into most of the big-name platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and DAZN.
PrivateVPN is pretty inexpensive, as you can get it for $2.50 a month when investing in a two-year subscription.
- 7-day free trial
- Unblocks most streaming services
- Customizable encryption
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Reliable kill switch
- SOCKS5 and HTTP proxies
- Port forwarding offered
- Small server fleet
- No split tunneling
4. Atlas VPN - a free VPN for Minecraft
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||700 servers in 28 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Atlas VPN, now 86% OFF!|
If you need to unblock Minecraft here and now (and you don’t have any money to spare), Atlas VPN might be the service that saves your day. You see, it’s one of those few free VPNs that offer unlimited data and unlimited bandwidth, which is perfect for playing video games like Minecraft.
However, you receive even more stuff if you pay $1.39 a month (granted you get the 3-year plan). For example, instead of only three locations, you get to choose from 28 countries.
You can also make use of all the features offered by the premium version. For example, there’s a malicious website blocker, a data breach checker, and the IP rotation feature.
In addition to all this, you can use Atlas VPN to unblock a myriad of streaming platforms including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube. The tool also allows torrenting and offers pretty good speeds.
- Strong encryption
- Free version
- Kill switch
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Web filters
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No live chat support
- IKEv2 is the only tunneling protocol
5. VyprVPN - Cheap VPN for Minecraft
|Servers/countries:||700 servers in 70 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 12 months FREE!|
You may not have heard of VyprVPN, but we think it’s a hidden gem in the VPN market.
A selection of 700 servers may not seem a lot, but VyprVPN delivers consistently good speeds, and it’s reliable, so you can use the service to play Minecraft. With the WireGuard tunneling protocol, we hit very good average speeds of 242 Mbps.
As well as WireGuard, VyprVPN offers the Chameleon protocol, which is really useful for using VPNs in countries where they are restricted - such as Russia, Saudia Arabia, and China. Its servers are excellent for unblocking streaming sites, so wherever you are, you can catch up on favorites from all the major platforms including BBC, ITV, HBO, and Netflix.
VyprVPN has well designed, easy to use apps for all your major devices such as Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows. And if you do want to play Minecraft on different devices, you get up to 5 simultaneous connections with VyprVPN.
VyprVPN offers speed, reliability, and consistency at an excellent price. Costing just $1.66 a month for its cheapest price plan, it’s easily the most affordable VPN on our shortlist. Give it a go, and if you want to try something else, you have 30 days to change your mind.
- Great speeds so works well with Minecraft
- Unblocks the big streamers
- Very cheap
- Chameleon protocol can be used in countries where VPNs are restricted
- 24/7 live chat
- Well designed apps for all your devices
- No port forwarding or dedicated IP
6. Mullvad - Most private VPN for Minecraft
|Servers/countries:||761 servers in 36 countries|
If privacy is important to you, and you’re more of an advanced tech user, Mullvad could be the ideal VPN. You won’t need to hand over any personal details on sign up - not even an email address.
You have the choice of 766 servers in 37 countries that can help you unblock Minecraft at work, or school, or if your IP address has received a server ban.
While the speeds are solid, they're not quite as good as those of some other VPNs on this list. Advanced options are where Mullvad stands out. For example, you can install Mullvad onto your router via WireGuard, which is rare and provides better speeds than other tunneling protocols.
You also get the port forwarding feature should you wish to set up a Minecraft server. It’s a good option for hosting too, as you won’t have to reconfigure your firewall settings each time you reconnect.
Unfortunately, Mullvad doesn't perform well at unblocking geo-restricted content. So if you’re big on streaming you might want to go with another option.
Mullvad costs $5 a month, and that’s the only subscription option you have. But in line with the excellent privacy mentioned earlier, you can pay in a variety of ways, including cryptocurrency and even hard cash.
- Servers work well at unblocking Minecraft
- Offers port forwarding
- Wireguard protocol
- Can pay with cash
- No personal details needed to sign up
- Not great at unblocking streaming sites
How we selected and tested these VPNs
When choosing a VPN for Minecraft, we made sure to look for a few key characteristics. Here’s some of them:
- Speed. Fast connections are needed for Minecraft gaming. You don’t want lag getting in the way of your fun. Pick a VPN that gives you good speeds.
- Server and location list. With a strong fleet of servers around the world, you have a better chance of finding a fast connection, and unblocking Minecraft.
- App quality. Our top VPNs have apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android as standard. So whatever device you’re playing Minecraft on, you can connect with the VPN.
- Offers port forwarding/dedicated IPs. Port forwarding is absolutely necessary if you want to host a Minecraft server yourself. If you want to ensure your IP address is never blocked, go with a dedicated IP.
- Good for streaming? We all love streaming shows and movies. With a good VPN, you can unblock geo-restricted content from all the big names like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and many more.
- Price. We’ve selected VPNs that offer a fair price in relation to their service and features.
- Security. Staying secure online is not easy. Good VPNs have various security features to help you retain anonymity. These include kill switches, stealth modes, multi-hop, and more.
How to choose the best VPN for Minecraft?
When you’re picking a VPN for Minecraft, there is a set of features you should think about:
- Selection of servers. With a selection of fast servers around the world, you’ll get smooth gaming, and a reliable connection.
- Reliable service. If you want to unblock Minecraft at work, school, or get around an IP ban, pick a recommended VPN that’s proven to do the job.
- Privacy and security. Staying safe online is always important, whether you’re streaming or gaming. Stay protected from DDoS attacks and spying ISPs with one of our top-rated VPNs.
- Value for money. Make sure you’re happy with the features, range of apps, and security options. All the VPNs we’ve selected offer a great service.
- Tech support. You never know when you might need a helping hand! The best VPNs will offer a range of support such as a 24/7 chat and tutorials.
Why do I need a VPN for Minecraft?
These are the three main reasons why you may want to use a VPN when you play Minecraft:
- Getting around IP bans. When you get banned from a Minecraft server, you will no longer be able to access it with your IP address. The easy way to get around this is with a VPN. Connecting through a VPN server will display a different IP address to the Minecraft server, and you’ll be free to play again!
- Playing Minecraft at school or work. Employers and educational institutes probably don’t want you playing games when you’re meant to be studying or working. If they’ve blocked access to Minecraft, VPNs will let you continue playing.
- Avoiding DDoS attacks. If you want to start your own Minecraft server, a VPN (with port forwarding) is useful for protection from DDoS attacks. A DDoS attack is when hackers, trolls, or even disgruntled gamers use bots to disrupt your server by bombarding it with traffic. With a VPN hiding your true IP address, the attackers won’t be able to get you.
Can Minecraft servers detect my VPN?
Technically speaking, yes, Minecraft servers can detect you’re using a VPN - but it's very unlikely. If your VPN uses a shared IP, which is mostly the case, there’s a slight chance Minecraft server owners could take a look at the usage patterns and suspect it's from a VPN. If the server owner forbids the use of VPNs, this IP may then be blocked.
However, this is easily fixed - just connect to a new server and get back in the Minecraft game. Even better, you could get a dedicated IP address. This is a feature many VPN providers offer (including NordVPN), but you might have to pay a little extra on top of the regular subscription. If you want to guarantee you’ll never be blocked from a Minecraft server, a dedicated IP address is the surefire solution.
What is the best free VPN for Minecraft?
Are free VPNs suitable for Minecraft? Well, there are some big issues with free VPNs, let's take a look at two types of free VPNs you’ll find.
A completely free VPN won’t be from a reliable brand, and its apps will be filled with irritating ads. They have to make money somehow. Ads might not be the only source of revenue - it might also sell on your personal details to third parties. There could even be malware hidden away in the app. Plus, the features of a free VPN will be poor - you’ll struggle with speeds and other things. We recommend you leave this option well alone.
The ‘freemium’ VPN is a free version of a paid-for VPN. You’ll get a trusted brand name, but features will be limited. Windscribe, a VPN we talked about earlier, offers a free version that comes with a 10GB data cap per month, which roughly translates to around 50-100 hours of Minecraft gaming - pretty good. That said, you only get access to 10 servers which will likely get overcrowded, so speeds could suffer.
Windscribe’s free version is worth a go, but for the full range of features, we always recommend picking a paid for VPN that fits your budget.
Whether you’ve been banned from a Minecraft server, are blocked from playing at work, or want to start your own server and be protected from DDoS attacks, a VPN can help.
You’ll get access to a range of servers, so you can always pick the fastest connection for smooth gaming. You can also use VPN to unblock streaming giants like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and the rest.
A VPN can also shroud your IP address and personal data from online snoopers, such as hackers, cybercriminals, or even your ISP.
With the cost of a VPN starting from as little as $2 a month, you’ve got nothing to lose and plenty to gain.
Should I use a VPN for Minecraft?
It depends. You should use a VPN with Minecraft to make sure you can evade server bans, protect your own Minecraft server from DDoS attacks, and even get around blocks that might be in place at your school or of work.
How do I bypass a Minecraft server ban?
Bypassing a Minecraft server ban is easy - you just need a VPN like NordVPN or Surfshark. Just sign up for a plan, install the app on your device, find a new server to connect to, and then you’ll have a new IP address that will enable you to get around a Minecraft server ban.
Can I host a Minecraft server with a VPN?
Yes. You can host a Minecraft server with a VPN, you just need to make sure your chosen VPN offers the port forwarding feature, as this is vital. ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access are good options that have this feature.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Best VPNs for PS4 & PS5: get your game on without limits with these services
Guide on how to Unblock Minecraft: access your favorite game from anywhere
Best VPNs for Gaming: avoid lag and increase your online safety