Minecraft is played by 140 million people around the world. And with good reason – it's a great game for any occasion. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to play at school or work. And if you find yourself IP banned from a server, you're going to have trouble playing from home, too. Unfair!
Luckily, VPN services are here to help. You just need to find yourself a VPN with a range of apps, good speeds, a selection of servers, and features like port forwarding (if you need it).
Everything you need to know about the best VPNs for Minecraft can be found in this article – so read on to get all the info.
5 Best VPNs for Minecraft:
- NordVPN – best VPN for Minecraft
- Surfshark – unlimited VPN connections
- IPVanish – cheapest VPN for Minecraft
- ExpressVPN – speedy VPN for playing Minecraft
- CyberGhost – reliable VPN for Minecraft gameplay
Best VPNs for Minecraft – our detailed list
We ran tests to select the best VPNs for Minecraft, paying close attention to their offered range of functions, speeds, effectiveness, and subscription price. After narrowing the list down, we detailed seven excellent VPNs that would perform well with Minecraft.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Minecraft
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
We’ve chosen NordVPN as our overall best VPN for Minecraft, and here’s why.
NordVPN is packed with market-leading features. For starters, NordVPN offers more than 5500 servers in 60 countries that you can use to play Minecraft. Useful if your IP address has been blocked or if you want to play at work or school. For a little extra, you can even get a dedicated IP address – this feature practically guarantees you’ll never be blocked again.
Also, NordVPN is super fast – you can expect great speeds of around 249 Mbps with the NordLynx tunneling protocol. With speeds like this, your Minecraft sessions will be free from lag.
This VPN has excellent apps for all major devices. So whether you’re playing Minecraft on a PC, Mac, smartphone, or tablet, NordVPN has an app for you. With 6 simultaneous connections offered, other people in your household can also connect and enjoy all the benefits.
NordVPN excels in general VPN features. It unblocks all the big streaming sites (including American Netflix), offers SmartDNS, is probably the most secure and private VPN you can get, and can be customized to suit your needs.
NordVPN subscription can be yours for as little as $3.49 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Learn more in NordVPN review.
- Many servers to unblock Minecraft
- Fast connections with the NordLynx protocol
- Dedicated IP option
- Great at unblocking streaming sites
- Features include Smart DNS, split tunneling
- Great apps for all major platforms
- 24/7 live chat support
- No port forwarding
2. Surfshark – unlimited VPN connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark offers a top-tier service with unlimited simultaneous connections – that means you can use it with every single one of your devices. You can even share the VPN with friends and family.
A subscription gets you more than 3200 servers in 100 locations, so if you want to get around a Minecraft block, you’re amply covered. Speeds are excellent, Surfshark has the industry-leading WireGuard tunneling protocol, and we averaged 263 Mbps off a 300 Mbps baseline.
Whatever device you like to play Minecraft on – Surfshark has a good app for it. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android – you name it, there’s an easy to use and feature-packed app available. You can even install Surfshark to your router and connect your game console and smart TV.
When you’re done playing Minecraft for the day, you might want to watch some shows or a movie. With Surfshark, you can unblock all the major streaming sites and watch geo-blocked content from around the world. American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and many more platforms will be completely unblocked.
Surfshark is also very cheap! Starting at just $2.30 a month, including a 30-day money-back guarantee, this is a VPN service that’s hard to pass up.
Read more in our Surfshark review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast server connections are great for Minecraft
- Apps for all your main devices
- Very cheap
- 24/7 support
- Unblocks all the big streaming sites
- No port forwarding
3. IPVanish – cheap VPN for Minecraft
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 72% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
Another good VPN provider that works pretty well for unblocking Minecraft at school, work, or anywhere else. IPVanish is a US-based VPN provider that has a pretty big number of servers all over the world – more than 2000 servers in 50 countries. You’ll be able to select the best location for Minecraft no matter where you are.
As for speeds, IPVanish is pretty consistent with them, demonstrating drops in original speed as low as 10-20%, which is ideal for fast-paced mob-slicing Minecraft adventure. You’ll be able to stream quality Minecraft content on Twitch, too.
IPVanish is also one of the cheapest providers out there – current prices start at $3.33/month. However, the price increases after a year if you get the yearly subscription.
When it comes to streaming movies, though, IPVanish has one pretty big downside – its European servers couldn't unblock Netflix. However, if it's the US Netflix library that you’re after, all should be well.
Nevertheless, it’s still a pretty decent Minecraft VPN, compatible with Android, iOS, Mac, Windows and Linux. It also offers unlimited simultaneous connections, which is pretty neat.
For more information head over to our IPVanish review.
- One of the cheapest yearly options
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Geographically diverse servers
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Price increases after a year
- Doesn’t work in China
- No dedicated IP
4. ExpressVPN – VPN with speedy connections for playing Minecraft
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
One more great option for Minecraft VPN is ExpressVPN. This is a privacy-friendly VPN, based in the British Virgin Islands. In addition, there are more than 3000 servers in 94 countries, so you’re certain to find the best server location for your gaming.
The speed results won’t disappoint you either. ExpressVPN works with the Lightway proprietary protocol, which ensures great connection speeds. So your gaming experience will be smooth and lag-free.
Gaming is not the only perk of ExpressVPN, this provider is also great for streaming. With ExpressVPN you can unblock plenty of streaming sites, including Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and more. So, if you get sick of gaming, you have a vast list of content libraries to consume for your entertainment.
More so, this VPN is compatible with all popular OS – Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. However, it’s pretty costly, starting at $6.67/month for 5 simultaneous connections.
To learn more, check out the ExpressVPN review.
- Geographically diverse server list
- Great connection speeds
- Good security features
- Kill switch
- Feature-light VPN provider
5. CyberGhost – VPN with gaming-optimized servers for Minecraft
|Servers/countries:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
CyberGhost is a very good option for unblocking Minecraft, not only because of the 9700+ servers in 91 countries and the good protection. This VPN has specialized servers for gaming that ensure the best experience and lag-free gaming.
In addition, this VPN works with the WireGuard tunneling protocol, so you get the market standard speeds which provide stable connections and seamless browsing. More so, security is also very important. That’s why there’s an automatic kill switch to prevent accidental IP leaks, and a strict no-logs policy.
Streaming is another strong suite of CyberGhost. This provider can unblock all the popular streaming sites, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more. There are also streaming-optimized servers for the best viewing experience.
CyberGhost is a pretty budget-friendly option, costing only $2.19/month and covering up to 7 devices simultaneously. In addition, you’ll get the extra long 45-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more in our CyberGhost review.
- Large server fleet
- Reliable connection speeds
- Gaming-optimized servers
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Apple apps have fewer features
- WireGuard connection problems on Mac
6. Atlas VPN – a free VPN for Minecraft
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF!🔥|
If you need to unblock Minecraft here and now (and you don’t have any money to spare), Atlas VPN might be the service that saves your day. You see, it’s one of those few very cheap VPNs that offer unlimited data and unlimited bandwidth, which is perfect for playing video games like Minecraft.
For $2.05 a month (granted you get the longest plan), you get to choose from over 750 servers in 38 countries. Additionally, you can also cover unlimited simultaneous connections just with a single account.
No matter what OS you prefer to use, Atlas VPN has you covered. This VPN has apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
You can also make use of all the features offered by the premium version. For example, there’s a malicious website blocker, a data breach checker, and an IP rotation feature. Also, a SafeSwap feature that continuously swaps your IP addresses for additional security.
In addition to all this, you can use Atlas VPN to unblock a myriad of streaming platforms including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube. The tool also allows torrenting and offers pretty good speeds.
- Strong encryption
- Free version
- Kill switch
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Web filters
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No live chat support
- IKEv2 is the only tunneling protocol
7. Ivacy VPN – secure VPN with a large server fleet
|Locations:||5700+ servers in 68countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Ivacy VPN, now 90% OFF + gift!🔥|
Another option for bypassing Minecraft restrictions is Ivacy VPN. This provider has a large list of servers to pick from – more than 5700 servers in 68 locations. So, you are certain to find a location that works best for Minecraft for you.
The speeds with Ivacy VPN can be unreliable. A lot depends on the location you pick, so you might have to play a guessing game by choosing the fastest server location. Overall, you get OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPSec protocols. And with the fastest option, OpenVPN, you will get some average speed results. Nothing to really brag about.
On the other hand, the security point of Ivacy VPN is covered well. This provider uses AES-256 encryption, has a no-logs policy, has a reliable kill switch that will drop your internet connection if your VPN connection is disturbed, and they support anonymous payment methods.
There aren’t many additional features. However, you do get a split tunneling option. Also, Ivacy VPN supports torrenting on all of its servers. And if you need a VPN for streaming, this one will unblock a few sites, like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube global content libraries.
There is no Ivacy VPN free version, but overall, this VPN isn’t too pricey. You can get it starting at $1.00/month and get 10 simultaneous connections. Also, you can test this provider risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Good security credentials
- Allows P2P
- Above-average performance
- Accepts anonymous payment methods
- No WireGuard
- No kill switch for Apple devices
- No Linux app
How we selected and tested these VPNs
When choosing a VPN for Minecraft, we made sure to look for a few key characteristics. Here’s some of them:
- Speed. Fast connections are needed for Minecraft gaming. You don’t want lag getting in the way of your fun. Pick a VPN that gives you good speeds.
- Server and location list. With a strong fleet of servers around the world, you have a better chance of finding a fast connection and unblocking Minecraft.
- App quality. Our top VPNs have apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android as standard. So whatever device you’re playing Minecraft on, you can connect with the VPN.
- Offers port forwarding/dedicated IPs. Port forwarding is absolutely necessary if you want to host a Minecraft server yourself. If you want to ensure your IP address is never blocked, go with a dedicated IP.
- Good for streaming? We all love streaming shows and movies. With a good VPN, you can unblock geo-restricted content from all the big names like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and many more.
- Price. We’ve selected VPNs that offer a fair price in relation to their service and features.
- Security. Staying secure online is not easy. Good VPNs have various security features to help you retain anonymity. These include kill switches, stealth modes, multi-hop, and more.
How to choose the best VPN for Minecraft?
When you’re picking a VPN for Minecraft, there is a set of features you should think about:
- Selection of servers. With a selection of fast servers around the world, you’ll get smooth gaming, and a reliable connection.
- Reliable service. If you want to unblock Minecraft at work, school, or get around an IP ban, pick a recommended VPN that’s proven to do the job.
- Privacy and security. Staying safe online is always important, whether you’re streaming or gaming. Stay protected from DDoS attacks and spying ISPs with one of our top-rated VPNs.
- Value for money. Make sure you’re happy with the features, range of apps, and security options. All the VPNs we’ve selected offer a great service.
- Tech support. You never know when you might need a helping hand! The best VPNs will offer a range of support such as a 24/7 chat and tutorials.
Why do I need a VPN for Minecraft?
These are the three main reasons why you may want to use a VPN when you play Minecraft:
- Getting around IP bans. When you get banned from a Minecraft server, you will no longer be able to access it with your IP address. The easy way to get around this is with a VPN. Connecting through a VPN server will display a different IP address to the Minecraft server, and you’ll be free to play again!
- Playing Minecraft at school or work. Employers and educational institutes probably don’t want you playing games when you’re meant to be studying or working. If they’ve blocked access to Minecraft, VPNs will let you continue playing.
- Avoiding DDoS attacks. If you want to start your own Minecraft server, a VPN (with port forwarding) is useful for protection from DDoS attacks. A DDoS attack is when hackers, trolls, or even disgruntled gamers use bots to disrupt your server by bombarding it with traffic. With a VPN hiding your true IP address, the attackers won’t be able to get you.
Can Minecraft servers detect my VPN?
Technically speaking, yes, Minecraft servers can detect that you’re using a VPN – but it's very unlikely. If your VPN uses a shared IP, which is mostly the case, there’s a slight chance Minecraft server owners could take a look at the usage patterns and suspect it's from a VPN. If the server owner forbids the use of VPNs, this IP may then be blocked.
However, this is easily fixed – just connect to a new server and get back in the Minecraft game. Even better, you could get a dedicated IP address. This is a feature many VPN providers offer (including NordVPN), but you might have to pay a little extra on top of the regular subscription. If you want to guarantee you’ll never be blocked from a Minecraft server, a dedicated IP address is the surefire solution.
What is the best free VPN for Minecraft?
Are free VPNs suitable for Minecraft? Well, there are some big issues with free VPNs, let's take a look at two types of free VPNs you’ll find.
A completely free VPN won’t be from a reliable brand, and its apps will be filled with irritating ads. They have to make money somehow. Ads might not be the only source of revenue – it might also sell on your personal details to third parties. There could even be malware hidden away in the app. Plus, the features of a free VPN will be poor – you’ll struggle with speeds and other things. We recommend you leave this option alone.
The ‘freemium’ VPN is a free version of a paid-for VPN. You’ll get a trusted brand name, but features will be limited. Windscribe, a VPN we talked about earlier, offers a free version that comes with a 10GB data cap per month, which roughly translates to around 50-100 hours of Minecraft gaming – pretty good. That said, you only get access to 10 servers which will likely get overcrowded, so speeds could suffer.
Windscribe’s free version is worth a go, but for the full range of features, we always recommend picking a paid for VPN that fits your budget.
Whether you’ve been banned from a Minecraft server, are blocked from playing at work, or want to start your own server and be protected from DDoS attacks, a VPN can help.
You’ll get access to a range of servers, so you can always pick the fastest connection for smooth gaming. You can also use VPN to unblock streaming giants like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and the rest.
A VPN can also shroud your IP address and personal data from online snoopers, such as hackers, cybercriminals, or even your ISP.
With the cost of a VPN starting from as little as $2 a month, you’ve got nothing to lose and plenty to gain.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Should I use a VPN for Minecraft?
It depends. You should use a VPN with Minecraft to make sure you can evade server bans, protect your own Minecraft server from DDoS attacks, and even get around blocks that might be in place at your school or of work.
How do I bypass a Minecraft server ban?
Bypassing a Minecraft server ban is easy – you just need a VPN like NordVPN or Surfshark. Just sign up for a plan, install the app on your device, find a new server to connect to, and then you’ll have a new IP address that will enable you to get around a Minecraft server ban.
Can I host a Minecraft server with a VPN?
Yes. You can host a Minecraft server with a VPN, you just need to make sure your chosen VPN offers the port forwarding feature, as this is vital. ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access are good options that have this feature.