Want to unblock Minecraft at school or work? If the network you are connected to has blocked the game, there is a way to bypass these restrictions, so you can carry on gaming wherever you are. Our VPN guide will talk you through how to do this.
Minecraft is a global phenomenon with over 126 million monthly active players. But although some teachers incorporate it into lessons, most schools and offices block the game.
This leaves gamers frustrated and desperately wanting to unblock Minecraft on work or school computers or on individual devices using the company or school’s Wi-Fi. Of course, you could play offline, but where’s the fun in that? Imagine the frustration of logging on at school or work and being locked out of your favorite game with bosses or teachers wanting you to work instead! Serious players will need Minecraft unblocked.
Fortunately for all those wanting to play Minecraft on their lunch break, you can unblock Minecraft using a reputable VPN. This will lift any restrictions imposed by schools or companies and will allow you to play Minecraft, even if you’re supposed to be working. So, sit back and let CyberNews take you through our guide on how to unblock Minecraft wherever you are.
Short guide on how to unblock Minecraft at school
- Choose a secure and reliable VPN. CyberNews recommends NordVPN for online gaming, because it is fast, reliable and secure.
- Download and install the VPN.
- Connect to your chosen server.
- Open Minecraft and start mining!
Why Minecraft access could be blocked
Minecraft is a quick and easy download. But, while it doesn’t require external software to connect to a server, there are ways that your gaming access can be blocked. The restrictions are largely imposed by private businesses and schools that want to crack down on game playing during work hours. Here, we will break down how it can be blocked and what you can do about it.
Blocked from downloading Minecraft
The most popular way to prevent students or employees from playing Minecraft is to just stop people downloading the game in the first place. Minecraft is widely available across a number of different stores, including Mac OS and Windows app stores. Schools and offices typically tend to block these stores altogether. To get around this, you can simply download Minecraft directly from the Minecraft website.
Minecraft website is blocked from access
If you can’t access Minecraft website, it is likely that your work or school network is blocking the site. A VPN will lift the restrictions, but another tip is to try HTTPS. Some networks only block the HTTP web address, so we advise typing in the HTTPS version and see if that works. If not, you can try using a VPN. This will not only help you access Minecraft, but it also hides your activity from anyone who might be tracking your moves.
If you still can’t access Minecraft, it could be that your firewall settings are denying access to Minecraft on your network. To get around this, you can use a VPN, or alter your firewall settings.
Here is a brief guide on how to unblock Minecraft on your Windows Firewall:
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to “System and Security”.
- Scroll down to the Windows Firewall section and click “Allow an app through Windows Firewall”.
- Click on the “Change Settings” button in the top right of the box. This will show you a list of programs and will allow you to make changes to the security settings.
- Scroll down to “Minecraft” and click on the box to the left of Minecraft.
- Click both boxes to the right of Minecraft that read “Private” and “Public”, then click “OK”.
- Reload Minecraft and start mining!
Use a VPN to unblock Minecraft
Even if it seems as though schools and companies have thought of everything to stop you playing Minecraft, there is still a way to beat the block – install a reliable VPN. Not only will this protect your data and reduce lag time, but it will also bypass the restrictions placed upon the network by school or offices.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to get around these restrictions by setting up a VPN:
- Firstly, you need to choose the VPN that is right for you. Choose a VPN that is secure, has a number of servers and works quickly with minimal lag time. For these reasons, we suggest opting for either NordVPN, ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
- Next, you need to download the VPN app and follow the installation instructions.
- Once it is set up, either login or set up a new account.
- Find a new server and click Connect. The closer you are to the server, the faster it will be.
- This should lift any restrictions placed by your work or school and should enable you to start playing Minecraft.
Play Minecraft from anywhere
Offices and schools will often block Minecraft to increase productivity. In order to unblock Minecraft at school, you will need to use a VPN. To set it up, you need to follow our step-by-step guide outlined above.
It is also possible that Minecraft is blocked on Windows. This is usually because the Windows Firewall has blocked Minecraft, which leaves users needing to unblock the server on their Windows device. If this is the case, all you need to do is change the settings in the Control Panel. For more information, read the step-by-step guide we talked about earlier.
If this doesn’t work, it could be that the ports are blocked on your network. Follow these steps and you should be mining in no time!
- Connect the router to your computer with a cable.
- Open your chosen browser and type your router’s IP address into the URL bar.
- Type in your username and password to log in.
- Go to Advanced Settings and locate the section marked Port Forwarding.
- Add a new rule to open the Minecraft ports. The majority of the Minecraft servers use the port 25565, so you will need to enter this in the port forwarding section.
- Save the changes, reboot the router and try connecting to Minecraft again.
Best VPN services to unblock Minecraft
When it comes to selecting a VPN, it is important that you prioritize security, speed and a large range of servers. This is both to protect your personal information and to avoid delay in gaming by reducing lag.
Here is a list of some of the best VPNs to use to unblock Minecraft:
- NordVPN is arguably the best VPN to use to unblock Minecraft, reduce Fortnite lag or change Pokemon Go location. It has thousands of servers across the globe, it is fast and secure, and you can connect up to six devices
- Surfshark has a smaller server base, and those servers may be slightly slower than other VPNs. However, it doesn’t keep logs or data that could identify you, and it has no connection limit.
- IPVanish is a cheap VPN that can be useful even to the most serious gamers. Customizable kill switch, and DNS leak protection will help you to stay safe when unblocking Minecraft or building houses in-game.
You might be interested in our best VPNs for Minecraft article.
Is a free VPN good for Minecraft?
While it is technically possible to use a free VPN, it is certainly not recommended. For one thing, it doesn’t offer you the same security and privacy that premium VPNs provide. Free VPNs are more susceptible to attacks from hackers, making your personal information vulnerable. Furthermore, free VPNs are more likely to sell your data to advertising companies.
Another downside to free VPNs is that the servers are more limited. Therefore, the servers can get overcrowded and will slow your connection speed and spoil your enjoyment of Minecraft.
Lots of schools, offices and businesses do restrict their networks and block access to Minecraft and other online games. However, there are specific workarounds to bypass the restrictions. If you can’t access the Windows or Mac app stores, you should try the official Minecraft website. If this doesn’t work, we suggest trying HTTPS instead of HTTP at the start of the web address. Alternatively, you could try altering the firewall settings on your machine.
But a good one size fits all approach would be to use a VPN. We recommend checking the best VPN as they are fast, secure and reliable. They will protect your information, while allowing speedy connections with little lag time.
How did you get on? Let us know in the comments below!
How do you get Minecraft on a school computer?
You can get this game on your school computer by downloading Minecraft, or Minecraft: Education, from the Microsoft or Mac app stores. If your school has put a block on this, you can use a VPN to bypass network restrictions.
How do you unblock blocked games?
A VPN will lift restrictions on any blocked games. All you need to do is install a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN. Then connect to your chosen server and this should unblock any game you want to play.
Can you play Minecraft on a VPN?
You can definitely use a VPN to play Minecraft. Our favorite VPNs for playing Minecraft are NordVPN or ExpressVPN. This is because they both prioritize security and speed, and they have a large number of servers to connect to.
Will I get banned for using a VPN on Minecraft?
Minecraft doesn’t ban users from its server if they use a VPN, but you might be blocked from connecting from an unreliable server. If this happens, we advise connecting to another VPN server and reconnecting.