Fortunately for all those wanting to play unblocked Minecraft on their lunch break, you can easily unblock Minecraft at school using a VPN. This will lift any restrictions imposed by schools or companies and will allow you to play Minecraft, even if you’re supposed to be working.
But don't worry, VPNs are some of the easiest software to use. You’ll be able to get them up and running in no time. They also come with an important additional perk – increased security for your browsing traffic and personal data.
So let us take you through our guide on how to unblock Minecraft wherever you are.
Minecraft blocked at school – what to do?
Minecraft is a quick and easy download. But, while it doesn’t require external software to connect to a server, there are ways that your gaming access can be blocked. The restrictions are largely imposed by private businesses and schools that want to crack down on game playing during work hours. But there are ways to tackle this problem, for example, with a VPN. Here, we will break down how it can be blocked and what you can do about it.
Top VPNs to bypass Minecraft blocks:
- NordVPN – best choice for Minecraft with a 7-day free trial
- Surfshark – good for Minecraft with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Atlas VPN– budget-friendly provider with a 30-day refund guarantee
LIMITED OFFER: Try NordVPN risk-free for 30 days!
Port forwarding to unblock Minecraft
If the previous options didn’t work, chances are that the necessary ports are blocked on your network. Luckily, you can use port forwarding to tackle this issue, or use a VPN to configure your router settings. Follow the port forwarding guide below, and you should be mining in no time!
- Connect the router to your computer with a cable.
- Type your router’s IP address into the browser's URL bar.
- Login by typing in your username and password.
- Go to Advanced Settings and locate the section marked Port Forwarding.
- Add a new rule to open the Minecraft ports. The majority of the Minecraft servers use the port 25565, so you will need to enter this in the port forwarding section.
- Save the changes.
- Reboot the router and try connecting to Minecraft again.
Blocked from downloading Minecraft
The most popular way to prevent students or employees from playing Minecraft is to just stop people downloading the game in the first place. Minecraft is widely available across a number of different stores, including Mac OS and Windows app stores. Schools and offices typically tend to block these stores altogether.
To get around this issue, you can simply download Minecraft directly from the Minecraft website instead of looking for it in the Mac OS or Windows app stores:
- Open the browser.
- Go to the official Minecraft website.
- Download Minecraft onto your device.
Minecraft website is blocked from access
If you can’t access the official Minecraft website, it is likely that your work or school network is blocking it. Our tip to get Minecraft website unblocked is to try HTTPS. Some networks only block the HTTP web address, so we advise typing in the HTTPS version and see if that works.
If it doesn’t work, you can try using a VPN. It will not only help you access Minecraft, but it will also hide your activity from anyone who might be tracking your moves. Here’s a short guide how to use a VPN to unblock websites, including Minecraft:
- Download and install a VPN onto your device. We think NordVPN is the best.
- Connect to the nearest VPN server.
- Go to the Minecraft website – you should be able to access it now.
Firewall is blocking access to Minecraft
If you still can’t access Minecraft, it could be that your firewall settings are denying access to Minecraft on your network. To get around this, you can use a VPN, or alter your firewall settings.
Here is a brief guide on how to unblock Minecraft on your Windows Firewall:
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to “System and Security”.
- Click on “Windows Defender Firewall”
- In the upper left corner, find and click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender firewall”:
- Click on the “Change Settings” button in the top right of the box.
- Scroll down to “Minecraft” and check both boxes to the right of Minecraft that read “Private” and “Public”
- Click “OK”.
- Reload Minecraft and start mining!
Use a VPN to unblock Minecraft
Even if it seems as though schools and companies have thought of everything to stop you playing Minecraft, there is still a way to beat the block – a VPN.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to get around these restrictions by setting up a VPN:
- Choose a VPN. We suggest NordVPN, because it is secure, has a number of servers and works quickly with minimal lag time.
- Download the VPN app and install it on your device.
- Login or set up a new account.
- Find the nearest server and connect. The closer you are to the server, the faster the internet connection will be.
- Download the Minecraft app from the official Minecraft website and get to playing!
When it comes to selecting a VPN for Minecraft, it is important that you prioritize security, speed and a large range of servers. This is both to protect your personal information and to avoid delay in gaming by reducing lag.
Is a free VPN good for Minecraft?
While it is technically possible to use a free VPN, it is certainly not recommended. For one thing, it doesn’t offer you the same security and privacy that premium VPNs provide. Free VPNs are more susceptible to attacks from hackers, making your personal information vulnerable. Furthermore, free VPNs are more likely to sell your data to advertising companies.
Another downside to free VPNs is that the servers are more limited. Therefore, the servers can get overcrowded and will slow your connection speed and spoil your enjoyment of Minecraft.
But if you still really want to try using a VPN for free, we suggest you look into some VPNs that have free trials or money-back guarantees.
Lots of schools, offices and businesses do restrict their networks and block access to Minecraft and other online games. However, there are specific workarounds to bypass the restrictions. If you can’t access the Windows or Mac app stores, you should try the official Minecraft website. If this doesn’t work you could try altering the firewall settings on your machine.
But a good one size fits all approach would be to use a VPN. We recommend a current market leader NordVPN. The provider delivers fast connections from thousands of servers around the globe. It is one of the easiest tools to set up that will give access to Minecraft in no time. Try it out with a 7-day free trial or 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you need additional options, Surfshark may be the one. It is another premium provider with unlimited simultaneous connections and excellent performance. Give it a shot with a 7-day free trial or 30-day money-back guarantee.
How did you get on? Let us know in the comments below!
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How do you get Minecraft on a school computer?
To get Minecraft on your school computer, you need to download Minecraft or Minecraft: Education, from the Microsoft or Mac app stores. If your school is blocking Minecraft, you can use a VPN to bypass network restrictions.
How do you unblock blocked games?
Use a VPN to unblock games that are restricted in certain countries or areas. With a VPN, you can change your virtual location by changing your IP address, and thus access restricted content, such as geo-blocked games and streaming platforms.
Can you play Minecraft on a VPN?
You can definitely use a VPN to play Minecraft. Our favorite VPNs for playing Minecraft are NordVPN or Surfshark. This is because they both prioritize security and speed, and they have a large number of servers to connect to.
Will I get banned for using a VPN on Minecraft?
Minecraft doesn’t ban users from its server if they use a VPN, but you might be blocked from connecting from an unreliable server. If this happens, we advise connecting to another VPN server and reconnecting.