Although Norway has a reputation for being a relatively privacy-friendly country, some Norwegian politicians want to censor what people can view on the internet. And perhaps more concerningly, Norway is part of the Nine Eyes Surveillance Group that monitors citizens’ online activities and shares intelligence with other nations within the group.
But you can avoid all internet surveillance and browse with complete anonymity by using a secure VPN. This will encrypt your data, making it impossible for any third party to access it. Even better, a VPN will enable you to unblock any region-restricted content you want from Norway or anywhere else in the world.
Our guide will advise you on the best VPNs for Norway, as well as provide you with all the information you need to obtain a Norwegian IP address. Let’s dive in.
Top 5 best VPNs for Norway
- NordVPN – best VPN for Norway overall
- Surfshark – fastest VPN with Norwegian servers
- Atlas VPN – secure option with zero-logs policy
- IPVanish – reputable provider with top-notch security
- PureVPN – low-cost solution that doesn’t skimp on security
What to look for in a VPN for Norway
To help you get the best VPN for Norway, we’ve put together a list of important criteria that will help you find the right provider:
- Privacy and security. To protect your sensitive online information, you’ll need top-grade encryption, like AES-256 and/or XChaCha20, as well as IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection.
- Ability to access geo-blocked content. You’ll need a VPN with a fleet of strong international servers to unblock a range of region-restricted content.
- Compatibility. Ensure your chosen solution works on multiple devices, including iPhone, Android, PC, or Mac.
- Fast speeds. Most people in Norway enjoy pretty fast internet speeds. So if you’re used to that, you won’t want a VPN to slow you down.
- Price. We’ve made sure our list of VPNs below has a range of price points to ensure you can stick to your budget.
The best VPNs for Norway – our detailed list
While our list of criteria above can help you pick the right VPN for Norway, we’ve made it even easier for you by using this checklist to test out a huge range of VPNs. And we’ve rounded it down to our top 5 that will deliver everything you need:
1. NordVPN – best all-rounded VPN for Norway
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Norway because it has a vast fleet of strong international servers that can unblock any location-restricted content you want, strong security and fast speeds. In all of our tests, NordVPN consistently came out on top, making it the best VPN for Norway.
Security and privacy: NordVPN uses AES-256 encryption to keep your data completely hidden, along with sophisticated leak protection and a customizable kill switch. It also has an independently-audited zero-logs policy.
Servers and apps: NordVPN has an impressive fleet of over 5500 servers in 60 countries, including more than 60 in Norway. And it has one of the most intuitive apps we’ve tested that’s compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS.
Features: A standout feature of NordVPN is that it uses its own protocol, NordLynx, to deliver fast speeds for smooth, buffer-free streaming. On top of this, it offers obfuscated servers for an added layer of security.
Unblocking capabilities: Because of its large fleet of international servers, including obfuscated servers, NordVPN can unblock region-restricted content from pretty much anywhere in the world.
Price: Subscriptions start from $3.49 a month for 6 simultaneous connections. You can pay for it using Bitcoin. And it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, see our detailed NordVPN review.
- Unbeatable security features
- NordLynx ensure buffer- free experience
- Plenty of obfuscated servers
- Can unblock geo-restricted sites
- Excellent customer service
- No dedicated router app
2. Surfshark – top-quality VPN with Norwegian servers
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark VPN is a fantastic all-round choice for Norway. It’s extremely fast and has plenty of servers from that region, as well as a huge international selection, giving you endless options for unblocking geo-restricted content. Plus, it has low monthly costs and unlimited simultaneous connections, making it brilliant value for money!
Security and privacy: Don’t be fooled by Surfshark’s low monthly costs because it doesn’t compromise on the things that matter. Despite its cheap subscription fees, it uses AES-256 encryption as well as DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It also has a zero-logs policy, so you know your data won’t be stored.
Servers and apps: Surfshark has a strong collection of 3200+ servers in 100 countries, including dedicated options in Norway, making it a great solution if you’re traveling. You can download the app on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android.
Features: Surfshark isn’t deficient in features, either, with obfuscated servers for added security and an IP rotator, which assigns new IP addresses to your device without causing any disruption to your connection. It also has a Camouflage Mode, which disguises VPN traffic as regular traffic to make it easier to go undetected by sites and services that block VPNs.
Unblocking capabilities: With so many sophisticated features to make it difficult for your traffic to be identified and blocked, you can use it to watch pretty much anything you like, including Hulu, Sky Sports, and Amazon Prime Video.
Price: Surfshark plans start from as little as $2.30 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee included. You can pay for it using cryptocurrency via CoinGate or CoinPayments. There’s even a free 7-day trial available on Mac, iOS, or Android.
Check out our Surshark VPN review to learn more.
- Fastest VPN we've used
- Unblocks major streaming platforms
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Plenty of sophisticated security features
- Exceptional value for money
- Not quite as good on iOS
3. Atlas VPN – zero-logs policy and solid security
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF!🔥|
With plenty of strong security features and an independently audited zero-logs policy, you’ll have total peace of mind if you opt for Atlas VPN. And, although it doesn’t have the largest fleet of servers by any means, the ones it does have are strong enough to bypass geo-blocks. On top of this, it also delivers fast speeds that won’t let you down when streaming.
Security and privacy: Like many other top-rated VPNs, Atlas VPN uses unbreakable AES-256 encryption to ensure your data remains completely private while online. Better still, it adheres to a strict no-logs policy that’s independently audited, so you can rest assured that your data isn’t being tracked.
Servers and apps: Atlas VPN has a relatively modest fleet of 750+ servers in 38 countries, but that does include Oslo, Norway. It has a simple and intuitive app that’s supported on all major devices, including Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Features: Despite being the cheapest option on our list, Atlas VPN is full of impressive features to keep you completely safe. This includes a kill switch, a tracker blocker, and a safe browsing feature to guard against malicious ads and sites. It also has an IP rotator to give you further protection.
Unblocking capabilities: Its security features and strong servers make Atlas VPN an excellent choice for unblocking all sorts of sites and services from around the world. This includes ESPN, Disney+, and Netflix.
Price: Altas VPN has a freemium option, which is a basic version of its paid plans that won’t cost you anything. These start at just $2.05 a month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try before buying.
To find out more, read our detailed Atlas VPN review.
- Impressive security features
- Secure servers in Norway
- Fast and reliable speeds
- Great value for money
- Smallest fleet of servers on our list
4. IPVanish – reputable provider with top-notch security
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 66% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
One of the most reputable providers on the market, IPVanish comes with solid security features and an impressive fleet of servers that are capable of unblocking content from around the world. You also get unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use it on all your devices at the same time.
Security and privacy: IPVanish has all the tools needed to enable you to remain completely anonymous while online. It uses AES-256-bit encryption, has a SOCKS5 proxy and leak protection to ensure your data is safe at all times.
Servers and apps: This provider has a strong offering of more than 2000 servers in 50 countries from around the world, including 7 in Norway. You can download the app directly onto your PC, Mac, iPhone, or Android.
Features: IPVanish has a kill switch that allows you to block LAN access, which is perfect if you’re concerned about connecting to public Wi-Fi. Elsewhere, you can store up to 500GB of files in IPVanish’s encrypted storage vault for maximum security. And it also uses traffic obfuscation.
Unblocking capabilities: Due to its wide range of security features, IPVanish can access a huge range of geo-blocked content from other parts of the world. In our tests, we’ve found it can unblock all the major streaming services, including BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Price: Plans start at $3.99 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee thrown in, so you can try it out before getting tied into a long-term contract.
Read our thorough IPVanish review to find out more.
- Huge range of top-notch security features
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Secure Norwegian servers
- Support for torrenting
- Pricing increases after a year
- Won't work in China
5. PureVPN – low-cost solution that doesn’t skimp on security
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 87% OFF🔥|
With more servers than any other provider on our list, PureVPN is a great choice for accessing content from other parts of the world. It delivers strong security and fast speeds that won’t slow you down. It’s also one of the cheapest providers on the market, so you know you’ll be guaranteed great value for money.
Security and privacy: PureVPN protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption, along with robust leak protection and a kill switch to ensure you’re protected at all times. It has a strict no-logs policy that undergoes constant independent audits for its no-logs policy.
Servers and apps: PureVPN has an impressive 6500 servers in 78 countries, with more than a dozen located in Norway’s capital, Oslo. Therefore, you’ll have endless options for accessing content from around the world. The app is available on Windows, iOS, macOS, and Android.
Features: PureVPN has plenty of features to assist its users, including obfuscated servers to mask your VPN traffic.
Unblocking capabilities: We’ve tested out PureVPN’s unblocking capabilities on a huge range of streaming services and it’s not let us down yet. You can use it to access a wide variety of platforms, including Channel 4 and BBC iPlayer.
Price: You can get PureVPN for as little as $1.49 a month, with up to 10 simultaneous connections and a 31-day money-back guarantee. You can make cryptocurrency payments to pay for it.
If you need further convincing, check out our full PureVPN review.
- Huge fleet of servers in a wide range of locations
- Always-on auditing for total peace of mind
- Strong security features
- Support for WireGuard
- Able to bypass region restrictions with ease
- Linux app is limited
- Some connection issues reported
How we selected and tested these Norwegian VPNs
In our quest to find the best VPNs for Norway, we tested out dozens of reputable providers with a long list of criteria in mind:
- We checked the quality and quantity of Norwegian servers. It may sound obvious, but one of the main considerations for finding a VPN for Norway is a good selection of Norwegian servers. So we tested these out for each provider on our list to ensure they’re strong enough to access geo-blocked content.
- We ensured each provider offers strong encryption. AES-256 is currently seen as the gold standard of encryption. Therefore, we ensured that each VPN we recommended used this type of encryption to keep your data completely hidden.
- We checked for any data leaks. When connecting to servers on each VPN, we checked to see if there were any data leaks. We also prioritized providers with leak protection and a kill switch.
- We ran speed tests for each VPN. The last thing you want is buffering or slow, sluggish speeds. So we ran speed tests on each provider to ensure none of them will slow you down while you’re online.
- We made sure each VPN could unblock a range of region-restricted content. In our testing, we made sure each provider on our list was capable of bypassing location restrictions on the most popular international sites and services.
Why do you need a VPN in Norway?
Regardless of where you live, a VPN is a vital tool for improving your online security, while also giving you access to geo-blocked content from around the world. But here is a list of reasons why you need to consider a VPN if you live in Norway:
- Protecting your privacy. Norway is part of the Nine Eyes Surveillance Group, which means that it can monitor the online activities of its citizens and exchange intelligence with other countries in the group. By using a VPN, your traffic will be encrypted, so no one will be able to track what you’re doing.
- Accessing geo-blocked content. Wherever you are, a VPN will open up a whole world of streaming possibilities by allowing you to unblock content from anywhere, including BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and foreign versions of Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+.
- Avoiding internet censorship. Although Norway hasn’t yet imposed restrictive internet censorship on its citizens, the Christian People’s Party is gaining more sway in Norwegian politics. And it’s in favor of censoring some content, such as pornography. A VPN will allow you to avoid any potential censorship by enabling you to bypass any restrictions and unblock the content you want.
- Using public Wi-Fi safely. Regardless of where you are in the world, using public Wi-Fi can be very convenient, particularly if you’re in a cafe, an airport, or on a train. However, public Wi-Fi isn’t always secure. A VPN will protect your data, which will allow you to connect without worrying.
- Torrenting freely in Norway. If you torrent without using a VPN, it makes it easy to track your IP address and its P2P, which could lead to your private information being hacked. A VPN will encrypt your data, which means it can’t be stolen.
Best VPNs for Norway compared
|Rating||#1 out of #34||#2 out of #34||#7 out of #34||#3 out of #34||#5 out of #34|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Logging||No logs, independently audited twice by PwC||No logs, independently audited by Cure 53||No logs, independently audited by VerSprite (iOS penetration testing)||No logs, independently audited||No logs, always-on audit by KPMG|
|Servers||5500 servers in 60 countries||3200 servers in 100 countries||750 servers in 38 countries||2000 servers in 50 countries||6500 servers in 78 countries|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands||United States||United States||British Virgin Islands|
|Price (lowest price per month)||$3.49/month||$2.30/month||$2.05/month||$3.99/month||$1.49/month|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||Atlas VPN review||IPVanish review||PureVPN|
How to get a Norwegian IP address with a VPN
No matter where you are in the world, you can get a Norwegian IP address in just a few simple steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Pick a VPN with secure Norwegian servers. We recommend NordVPN for this, now 63% OFF.
- Download and install the software.
- Enable all the relevant security features, including the kill switch.
- Connect to a server in Norway.
- Make the most of accessing all the Norwegian content you want!
Internet censorship in Norway
Although the internet isn’t widely censored in Norway, there’s increasing pressure from some politicians to impose stricter sanctions. The Christian People’s Party is gaining more influence in Norway and is pushing for censorship of pornography and other adult content.
And while this hasn’t succeeded yet, it’s a good idea to start using a VPN so that you can retain complete freedom to access the content you want.
Torrenting in Norway
In most Scandinavian countries, torrenting is illegal. And Norway boasts some of the strictest anti-piracy laws in the world. Most sites that encourage torrenting are banned in Norway. If you’re caught illegally downloading in Norway, you will face a fine.
However, if you use a VPN that supports torrenting, no one will be able to track your IP address or its P2P activity. This means that your information can’t be viewed by hackers or your government.
Collection of user data
While the Norwegian government doesn’t collect much data on its citizens’ online activities, companies in Norway aren’t bound by EU privacy laws. Therefore, online companies are allowed to gather quite a lot of data about their users. So it’s sensible to use a VPN to prevent third parties from learning too much about you.
Norwegian government surveillance
Norway is part of the Nine Eyes Surveillance Group, which collects data on its citizens and shares intelligence with other nations from the group when it’s required. This means that the government can monitor what you’re doing online and share that information with other countries.
Using a VPN will keep your data hidden from government surveillance with the use of sophisticated encryption.
Norwegian content you can watch with a VPN
If you use a VPN to connect to a Norwegian server, you’ll gain access to a whole world of TV shows and movies that are only available in Norway. This includes NRK, Norway’s state-run free streaming service that has popular Norwegian shows, such as Norsemen, Bloodride, and Mr Good: Cop or Crook?.
If you’re happy to pay for content, there’s Viaplay, which has an exclusive deal with Nordiske Film to broadcast Nordic language movies. It also has some great Norwegian content for children. Even better, it currently has the rights to show most UEFA Champions League games.
You can also use a VPN to access Norwegian versions of your favorite shows, including Norwegian Taskmaster, Love Island Norway, and Naked Attraction Norge.
Can I use a free VPN in Norway?
While you may be able to use a free VPN in Norway, it’s not something we’d ever advise. Completely free solutions offer poor-quality servers that aren’t really fit for purpose. A free VPN could do more harm than good to your cybersecurity, as they often make money by selling customer data to third parties.
If you’re determined to use a VPN without paying anything, you’d be better off using a freemium, which is a basic version of a paid-for provider. As you’d expect, they're much more limited and have far fewer servers and features. But if you want to try one, we’d recommend Atlas VPN or Proton VPN, both of which offer reasonable security.
Overall, though, you’d be much better off paying a small monthly fee for a premium provider, as they offer much stronger security, as well as far more servers and many additional features. If you want one for a limited period, such as if you’re traveling, you could take advantage of a free trial of a paid-for VPN, like NordVPN or Surfshark.
Although Norway is generally viewed as a fairly privacy-friendly country, it does impose a certain level of government surveillance on its citizens. And it doesn’t have strict laws to prevent companies from gathering data on its users. Therefore, it’s a good idea to start using a VPN in Norway so you can remain anonymous online.
Of all the VPNs we tested, NordVPN consistently performed the strongest, largely due to its fleet of secure servers from around the world that can bypass any geo-restrictions. It even has plenty to choose from within Norway, which makes it ideal if you’re traveling outside the country.
Has this given you all the information you need to help you choose the best VPN for Norway? If you’d like any more help, please let us know using the comments section at the bottom of the page and one of our experts will get back to you!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Which VPN has Norwegian servers?
Do you need to use a VPN in Norway?
It’s a good idea to use a VPN in Norway to protect yourself from government surveillance and companies that collect data and sell it to third parties. A VPN will also improve your online security and allow you to unblock region-restricted content from other countries.
What is the best VPN for Norway?
We’ve tested dozens of VPNs and we found the best provider for Norway is NordVPN. This is because it has a huge range of international servers, including several in Norway. It’s also the most security-focused solution we’ve tested, with unbreakable encryption and independent auditing.
Can I use a VPN to access different Netflix libraries in Norway?
Yes, you can use a VPN to unblock different versions of Netflix from around the world. Simply download a strong VPN and use it to connect to a server in the location you want to access. Then log into Netflix as normal and enjoy browsing the new content.