Best VPN for T-Mobile in 2024
T-Mobile is one of the most popular wireless network operators in the US. A third-party audit conducted by umlaut claims it offers the most reliable 5G network. However, users have reported that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) throttles bandwidth. Plus, the network operator has been hacked before, breaching a lot of users’ data.
To solve such issues, you can simply put aside a few bucks per month and get a reliable VPN. It encrypts your data, so your ISP can’t get ahold of what you’re doing online. This way, they won’t be able to limit your internet speed, and your data will be protected from hackers.
However, not every VPN is an ideal pick for T-Mobile. The best choice has to ensure high levels of security and great performance. So we tested the services and made a list of the best VPNs for T-Mobile in terms of privacy, speeds, and other factors.
Best VPN for T-Mobile – shortlist
- NordVPN – the best VPN for T-Mobile home internet
- Surfshark – T-Mobile home internet VPN for many devices
- IPVanish – feature-rich VPN for T-Mobile
- PureVPN – cheap VPN for data protection from your ISP
- Proton VPN – solid VPN to prevent ISP bandwidth throttling
Why do you need a VPN for T-Mobile?
Having a VPN for T-Mobile is useful for privacy and performance reasons. But, it can also be beneficial for accessing geo-restricted content.
So here’s why you need a VPN for T-Mobile:
- Prevent bandwidth throttling. T-Mobile can limit your internet speed when they see you doing data-consuming activities. This includes gaming, streaming, and torrenting. A VPN hides your online activities and IP address, so your ISP can't track what you're doing or limit your data.
- Access geo-restricted content. Many people enjoy the fact that VPNs can unlock geo-restricted content. This includes both websites and streaming services, so you never run out of things to watch.
How to connect a VPN on T-Mobile
- Head to the app store and get a reliable T-Mobile VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 67% OFF!
- Create an account, download the app, and follow the installation instructions
- Launch the app, log in, and click the connect button or choose a country on the list
- That’s it! Protect your data and prevent bandwidth throttling with VPN!
The best VPNs for T-Mobile – detailed list:
We tested various VPNs to see which ones can guarantee high-grade security and speeds. We checked if they work well on different devices and allow simultaneous connections, making them suitable for the whole household. So, without further ado, here is our list of the best T-Mobile VPNs.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for T-Mobile overall
|6000+ servers in 61 countries
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|🔥Get NordVPN, now up to 67% OFF + gift!🔥
NordVPN is the best T-Mobile VPN because of its advanced security and fast speeds. Plus, it has over 1970 servers in 15 locations in the US.
The VPN has apps for Windows and macOS as well as Android and iOS devices. Both desktop and mobile apps are very easy to use with a modern and organized interface.
With NordVPN, you get a functional kill switch that guarantees no data leaks. As an extra security layer, there’s also the threat protection feature. It secures your device from malware, intrusive ads, harmful URLs, and trackers.
In total, NordVPN has more than 6000 servers in 61 countries – a massive server fleet indeed.
This VPN uses its proprietary tunneling protocol called NordLynx. It's an upgraded version of the famous WireGuard protocol. With it, NordVPN retains around 90% of initial internet speeds on average.
For those who want to unblock geo-restricted content, NordVPN is one of the best picks. It can unlock various libraries of Netflix, Max, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more.
So if you feel like NordVPN is exactly what you’re looking for, its prices start from $3.39/month. There's also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. Surfshark – T-Mobile VPN for multiple devices
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more
|🔥Get 79% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥
If you’re looking for a T-Mobile VPN to use on all of your network devices, Surfshark is an optimal solution. For starters, it allows unlimited simultaneous connections on one account. It also offers 600+ servers in 25 locations in the US.
Surfshark’s Android and iOS apps are excellent compared to those of many other VPN providers. They’re very intuitive, and you won’t have trouble figuring them out.
With any of the apps, you get a reliable kill switch that protects you in case the VPN connection drops. Plus, for an extra dollar or so per month, you can get a full-on antivirus. This helps ensure that no hackers are trying to interrupt you.
Surfshark implements a no-logs policy. While it does collect information that helps improve its services, you can opt out of it.
Since all of the service’s servers run on RAM, you're guaranteed high levels of privacy from T-Mobile. In total, Surfshark offers over 3200 in 100 countries, so you’ll always have plenty of non-overcrowded ones.
If you use Surfshark’s WireGuard protocol, you’ll get over T-Mobile’s bandwidth throttling as well. On average, our Surfshark tests showed that the VPN retains around 86% of your initial internet speeds.
Regarding streaming, Surfshark effortlessly unblocked many Netflix libraries, Hulu, and other sites.
Surfshark is a solid VPN compared to NordVPN, providing great performance at affordable prices, starting at $2.29/month, and there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee available as well.
3. IPVanish – feature-rich VPN for T-Mobile
|2200+ servers in 52 locations
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more
|🔥Get 75% OFF IPVanish!🔥
IPVanish goes on the list of best T-Mobile VPNs because it’s a feature-loaded service. With it, you get over 1300 servers in 20 locations in the US.
This VPN has apps for both Android and iOS devices – both are user-friendly and very comfortable to use. The only downside is that they don’t offer the kill switch.
However, IPVanish features include the kill switch feature on Windows and macOS apps. So if your VPN disconnects, your internet will shut down to prevent data leaks. There’s also a traffic obfuscation feature that hides the fact that you’re using a VPN at all.
IPVanish collects only your email address and billing information, according to their policy. Your online activities, however, are not logged.
IPVanish uses one of the fastest protocols currently available – WireGuard. With it, the average speed retention is around 80%. That's much better than without a VPN when your ISP throttles your bandwidth.
Besides, there are also 2200 servers in 52 countries in total – plenty to find ones with optimal speeds that can improve streaming experience. IPVanish is capable of unblocking content on various streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Max, and more.
The prices of IPVanish start from $3.25/month. It's reasonable considering it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Plus, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. PureVPN – inexpensive VPN for T-Mobile
|6500+ servers in 65 countries
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube
|🔥Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥
For starters, PureVPN service has apps for both Android and iOS. The Android app is more feature-loaded, including features like split tunneling. Meanwhile, the iOS app is more similar to desktop apps.
Both apps give you a functional kill switch to prevent data leaks. Additionally, there’s the traffic obfuscation feature, which makes it look as if you’re not using a VPN.
Moving forward, PureVPN supports the WireGuard protocol, which is a great combo of speed and security. With it, the VPN retains around 67% of your initial internet speeds on average.
Plus, there are over 6500 servers in 65 countries available in total. You won’t have trouble finding ones that aren’t overcrowded. You can use them to unblock such streaming platforms as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
You can get PureVPN’s 2-year subscription for only $2.08/month. And you don’t have to instantly commit long-term – there’s a 31-day money-back guarantee.
5. Proton VPN – great VPN for avoiding bandwidth throttling
|3000+ servers in 71 countries
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, HBO Max, Disney+
|🔥Holiday deal! Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN!🔥
Another VPN for T-Mobile with good speeds and high-security standards is Proton VPN. Not to mention that it has over 400 servers in 14 locations in the US.
Both iOS and Android apps of Proton VPN are excellent. They have a great security feature available, called Secure Core. It’s a double VPN feature that connects you through two servers to ensure higher levels of security. You also get a regular kill switch to prevent data leaks.
When it comes to privacy, Proton VPN is no different from other top T-Mobile VPNs. It doesn’t log your online activities or IP address.
We tested Proton VPN and the WireGuard protocol of Proton VPN retained an average of 85% of initial internet speeds. So if T-Mobile limits your data, connecting to Proton VPN will solve the issue instantly.
Proton VPN is also a decent pick for streaming. It bypasses restrictions on such streaming platforms as Netflix, Hulu, and more. And since there are servers (over 3000) in 71 countries, you’ll be able to explore various streaming site libraries.
Proton VPN's subscription starts from $4.99/month and connect up to 10 devices. You can even try out the free version or opt for the 30-day refund policy.
What makes the best T-Mobile VPN?
The best T-Mobile VPNs should help you ensure an uninterrupted browsing experience. So here are some key aspects of what an ideal VPN should have:
- Advanced security features. The VPN you choose should offer a reliable kill switch and high-grade encryption, such as AES. It’s a huge plus if you get extra security features, such as protection from malware.
- Fast tunneling protocols. The best T-Mobile VPN will have a selection of protocols available. This includes one of the fastest protocols – WireGuard.
- High average speed retention. You should pick a VPN that offers high speed retention rates. If your VPN offers high speeds, your internet will become faster. That is if you’re experiencing bandwidth throttling.
- Good mobile apps. Many VPNs focus on their desktop apps, leaving the mobile ones with little to no features. Make sure the VPN offers decent Android and iOS apps. They should offer fast tunneling protocols and crucial security features such as a kill switch.
How we selected and tested these T-Mobile VPNs
After testing various VPNs, we gathered a list of the ones that are best capable of securing you from your ISP. The main criteria are that they have to not only guarantee privacy but also great speeds. So, here’s how we chose the best T-Mobile VPNs:
- US servers. Having American servers lets you be secure and still be able to access sites in your own language. Plus, servers that are close to you may even ensure better performance. For these reasons, we only chose VPNs that have plenty of servers in the US.
- No-logging policies. We made sure that the privacy policies of VPN providers we include clearly state that they don’t log your personal data.
- Security features. We looked at what security measures the VPNs take to protect you from not only T-Mobile but hackers as well. This includes a kill switch that protects you from data leaks. Having such features as cyber threat protection or double VPN is also a plus.
- Speeds. Although security is crucial, you shouldn’t have to compromise speeds because of it. We used our speed test tool to determine which VPNs offer the best speed retention rates.
- Server network. We made sure the T-Mobile VPNs in our list include huge server fleets. Having plenty of servers ensures you can find non-overcrowded ones. And a variety of server locations lets you access a great deal of geo-blocked content.
- Geo-restrictions. Many people use VPNs for unblocking content, be it on websites or streaming platforms. That’s why we tested services and only ranked VPNs that are capable of bypassing various geo-restrictions.
T-Mobile VPN not working: troubleshooting guide
If T-Mobile is blocking your VPN traffic, don’t rush to cancel your VPN subscription yet. T-Mobile doesn’t prohibit VPN usage, so you should be able to successfully connect to it. Here are a few possible reasons why your VPN might not be working:
- Network issues
- VPN server problems
- VPN app configuration
- Browser cookies and cache
- Unreliable VPN provider
There are dozens of simple reasons, like network problems, crowded servers, or simply a full browser with cookies and cache, which might impact T-Mobile's home internet not working with VPN. To deal with these issues, you can try contacting T-Mobile's customer support or try some of our tested methods.
Delete browser cookies and cache
Websites can discover your real IP address and location through cookies in the cache. To prevent this, delete the cookies or use a different browser, preferably in incognito mode.
The server you're attempting to connect to with your VPN may be having problems or be too busy. Experiment different server locations. Also, check your network connection, as weak or unstable connections can affect how the VPN works.
Try changing tunneling protocols
If your service is acting up, it could be because it uses the IPv6 protocol. If you're on a computer, just switch to the IPv4 protocol in your VPN app to fix it. And here's what to do when using a mobile phone:
- For Android users. Change APN (Access Point Name) settings, such as picking IPv4 instead of IPv6. Simply go to Settings – SIM cards & mobile networks – Access point names
- For iOS users. Change APN settings. You can do that by heading to Settings – Cellular – Cellular data options. Then, click on Cellular Network or Settings – Mobile Data – Mobile Data Network
Try a more trustworthy VPN provider
You may know that not all VPNs can protect your personal data and unlock websites. Moreover, you should check for IP or DNS leaks. If your VPN is revealing your real IP address, choose a provider with strong leak protection and make sure your kill switch is turned on.
The VPN you're using might be of lower quality, especially if it's free. Free VPNs often lack the resources to upgrade their servers and IP addresses. In that case, we recommend using our freemium VPNs, like NordVPN, with free trials and 30-day money-back guarantees.
Should I use a free VPN for T-Mobile?
No, you shouldn’t use free VPNs for T-Mobile as much as the free concept is tempting. Free VPNs can compromise your security and privacy by collecting user data. Additionally, they may struggle to access your favorite geo-restricted content.
For starters, forever-free VPNs are known to collect plenty of user data. A great example is Betternet VPN. It collects information about your session duration, approximate geographical location, and others. But that’s not the only issue... Because some free VPNs want to access your data at any cost, they can even inject malware into your device.
Alternatively, you can try out freemium VPNs – free services of premium VPN providers. Their main goal is to lure you into investing in their premium product. This means their free plans are simply reliable introductory services.
Yet again, both forever-free and freemium VPNs are very limited. You shouldn’t expect many features available or server locations, for that matter. The servers you do get are usually overcrowded, which causes them to become slow. Additionally, free servers are usually blacklisted by streaming sites. So it’s unlikely you’ll have an exciting experience.
If you want a free VPN experience, opt for premium VPNs with money-back guarantees or free trials.
- NordVPN – Android users can claim a free 7-day trial. After creating an account, you can enjoy the free trial on other devices as well. Additionally, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. This lets you test out advanced security features without instant long-term commitments.
- Surfshark – you can get it for free for 7 days on macOS, iOS, or Android devices. Claim the free trial, create an account, and enjoy it for free on other devices as well. You can test its exceptional speeds and strong security features with a 30-day refund policy on top.
Does T-Mobile offer a VPN service?
No, T-Mobile doesn’t offer a VPN service. Although T-Mopbile has an MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching) VPN service, it’s not a typical Virtual Private Network. Instead, it’s a business solution designed to consolidate a company’s communication network into a single, secure platform.
If this ISP had a VPN, we wouldn't recommend using it. T-Mobile has had privacy issues before, including user data breaches, so it's better to use third-party services, starting with the top T-Mobile VPNs.
Is T-Mobile’s FamilyMode compatible with a VPN?
Yes, T-Mobile's FamilyMode is compatible with a VPN. Make sure to install T-Mobile FamilyMode without your VPN turned on initially to avoid potential problems.
You can adjust some settings to prevent issues with FamilyMode. For iOS devices, ensure the VPN's "Connect on Demand" is on. For Android, go to device security settings and set the VPN as a "Device admin app".
T-Mobile is a popular wireless network operator in the US. Yet, users complain that the ISP throttles their bandwidth. Additionally, they collect a bunch of user data and have previously been hacked.
That’s why a VPN comes in handy – it encrypts your data and hides your IP address. This means your ISP won’t be able to see what you’re up to, so they won’t limit your speed. Additionally, your information will be hidden from malicious actors.
Our top pick for T-Mobile is NordVPN. It has great mobile apps for both Android and iOS, advanced security features, and ensures complete privacy.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
What VPN works with T-Mobile?
There are many VPNs that work with T-Mobile, but our top recommendation is NordVPN. It retains around 90% of your initial internet speed on average. Additionally, it ensures advanced security features even on mobile apps. This includes a reliable kill switch and malicious threat protection.
Does T-Mobile allow VPN use?
Yes, T-Mobile allows its customers to use a VPN. There’s nothing on their website and Terms & Conditions that states otherwise. Plus, they even have tutorials on how to set a VPN up on their website.
Does T-Mobile allow torrenting?
T-Mobile doesn’t state anything in particular about torrenting in their Terms & Conditions. However, they do permit using "applications which automatically consume unreasonable amounts of available network capacity". This means they may throttle your speeds when torrenting. But you can solve it by simply getting a VPN, such as NordVPN.
Does T-Mobile offer a VPN service?
No, T-Mobile doesn’t offer a VPN service. They provide MPLS VPN service, but it’s not a regular VPN. It is used to help businesses to organize their communication network securely.
Can I use a VPN with T-Mobile 5G home internet?
Yes, you can use a VPN with T-Mobile 5G home internet. VPNs are completely legal and not only give you a fast and reliable internet connection but also provide extra security.
Why is T-Mobile not allowing VPN?
T-Mobile may not allow your VPN if it uses the IPv6 protocol. Whether using your computer, or mobile phone, you should switch protocol to IPv4 to fix it. Other reasons may include network or server issues and even unreliable VPN providers. Opt for a for seamless connections.
Is T-Mobile’s FamilyMode compatible with a VPN?
T-Mobile’s FamilyMode is compatible with a VPN. Simply install FamilyMode without your VPN initially to avoid potential issues. With FamilyMode on your family’s devices, you can manage which websites and apps each device can access, and you can also set specific times when the internet is available.