Best personal website hosting: making web hosting easy
In this post, I covered the 5 best personal website hosting providers. From the prices and ease of use to performance and customer support – taking into account everything you need for your personal hosting needs.
These days, a lot of people have personal websites. From lawyers and investors to influencers and handymen.
It's one of the most powerful ways to represent yourself, your hobby, or your services. And monetize on that.
But a personal website is not a huge business. You won't have a team of developers and a budget of a small country to run it. So it has to be affordable, easy, and of good quality.
That's exactly the criteria I used when testing and picking the best personal website hosts for this list.
So without any further chit-chat, here they are.
Best personal website hosting: ranked
- Hostinger – best personal website host overall.
- Bluehost – easy WordPress hosting for personal use.
- DreamHost – high-performance, intuitive personal website hosting provider.
- HostGator – no-fuss personal website hosting with all essentials.
- HostPapa – user-centered personal website hosting with good support.
Not sure if you can afford it? We've included all personal web hosting related costs you need to consider before starting. Spoiler alert: it's cheap.
|Features||Free SSL, automatic backups, LiteSpeed web server, hPanel|
|Best for||All personal projects on tight budgets in need of good performance|
Hostinger is an easy-to-use, cheap, and affordable shared web hosting provider, ideal for hosting personal websites, starting at just $2.59/mo. Not only that, the affordable pricing is matched with good performance and helpful customer service.
So, what else makes it shine? Some of its key features include:
- Hostinger offers an easy-to-use interface powered by hPanel. From one-click installers for all the most popular apps to security and performance settings, all is intuitive and beginner-friendly.
- The 24/7 live chat is always there to help you in case of a problem. The customer support is very skilled and friendly.
- Performance is excellent as well, thanks to powerful tech. You'll get to use SSD storage, the latest PHP versions, and fast LiteSpeed Web Server tech with caching already configured. Plus, you can choose a server location from the US, Europe, and Asia locations.
Clearly, Hostinger’s updated tech, with excellent support and ease of use, lets you optimally run personal websites.
You can expect excellent performance from Hostinger thanks to constant upgrades to the servers.
I monitored Hosting for 2 months which showed no issues with reliability. The provider delivered a perfect 100% uptime result. You may not get 100% uptime in the long run, but you can expect the host to meet its 99.9% uptime guarantee.
The response time averaged at 511ms, better than the industry average of 600ms. This makes it not only reliable but also speedy.
Combine the above results with multiple server location choices across the globe, and you have a winner for your target audience.
Altogether, Hostinger is among the top options when it comes to reliable and speedy hosting. To find more about Hostinger’s performance, check out the full Hostinger review.
Hostinger is cheap, with shared plans starting at $2.59/mo and going up to $3.99/mo. Every shared plan comes with an SSL, email accounts, and automatic backups. A free custom domain name is included in Premium and Business plans, too.
- Single ($2.59/mo) – host one website with 30 GG SSD server space and 10k monthly visits
- Premium ($2.59/mo) – host up to 100 websites with 100 GB SSD server space and 25k monthly visits + a free domain.
- Business ($3.99/mo) – host up to 100 websites with 200 GB SSD server space and 100k monthly visits + a free domain, daily backups, and CDN.
In short, these are among the cheapest plans around, and the resources are generous. Also, to test out the services, there's a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a personal website, the Single plan at $2.59/mo is more than enough. However, if you'd like to enjoy a free domain for a year and consider hosting more than one website, Premium offers way better value at just $2.59/mo.
- Easy to use control panel
- Responsive and helpful customer support
- Reliable performance at cheap prices
- Entry plan offers no free domain
- Cheapest prices require 48-month billing
|Features||Automatic WordPress setup, free domain, SSL, website builder|
|Best for||Personal WordPress websites built by beginner users|
Bluehost is a great pick for personal WordPress websites. It's easy to use and takes care of all of the technicalities, while users get to enjoy good reliability and helpful tools. The prices are also good, starting at $2.95/mo.
The host offers an excellent user experience, thanks to the following features:
- For personal use, you don't have to worry about any of the technicalities. Upon the first login to your account, a WordPress website with a working domain and SSL will be set up automatically by following a quick wizard.
- The host’s AI-based WordPress website builder further simplifies website building. Here, you generate a website by providing inputs based on questions, which can further be edited using the builder interface. The final result then can be transformed into a full-featured WordPress site.
- If you're also interested in monetizing your site, tools like SEO help and marketing are built-in for convenience.
In short, Bluehost’s ease of use and numerous helpful features make it a great pick for personal sites creation.
In my 2-months testing of Bluehost, one thing became very obvious: Bluehost offers excellent reliability and performance.
Irrespective of no official uptime guarantee, Bluehost offered 99.99% uptime in my testing, which is very reliable.
With a server response time (time taken by the server to react to the browser's request) of 361ms, it is among the faster server providers, too.
However, the US-only servers can be performance-restricting. To overcome it, you can always use a content delivery network(CDN), improving the site’s performance for a wider audience. It's activated in one click from the dashboard easily.
Overall, Bluehost performs above average with good uptime and reliability. Check out the detailed Bluehost review, where I uncover more details about its performance.
Bluehost offers 4 shared hosting plans starting from $2.95/mo and going up to $13.95/mo, with each plan offering access to a free domain(for a year), free SSL certificate, and unmetered bandwidth. Apart from the basic plan, all plans also have unmetered SSD storage.
- Basic ($2.95/mo) – host one website with 50 GB SSD storage.
- Plus ($4.95/mo) – host unlimited websites.
- Choice Plus ($4.95/mo) – additionally, daily backups and domain privacy for a year are included.
- Pro ($13.95/mo) – comes with dedicated IP, domain privacy, daily backups, and more server resources.
These are good prices with good features and added user convenience. Plus, you have 30-day money-back period to see if the hosting service is right for your website.
The Basic plan ($2.95/mo) is a no-brainer choice for starting your personal website. 50GB storage is generous, while all other essentials are included too – a domain, SSL, and email accounts.
- WordPress-centered hosting
- Free SSL certificate and domain
- WordPress-based AI website builder
- US-only servers
- Higher renewal prices
|Features||Free domain, SSL, domain privacy, automatic backups, website builder|
|Best for||Security and privacy-oriented WordPress hosting|
DreamHost is a WordPress-first provider that comes with generous server resources and affordable prices starting at $2.59/mo. It also emphasizes privacy, making it among the best secure web hosting service for personal use.
The key features offered by DreamHost include:
- Intuitive and easy control panel oriented towards beginner users. A WordPress website can be set up in a single click without the need to fill out multiple forms. Meanwhile, all tools and functionalities have explanations and tutorials on how to use them.
- You can also take advantage of a premium WordPress website builder. It makes it easy to build a website without prior development knowledge.
- DreamHost offers inclusive and cheap plans for all billing terms while including strong security features, too. You get a free SSL, automatic backups, domain privacy, and web application firewall even on the cheapest plan.
DreamHost provides clear and straightforward plans that offer inclusive resources, coupled with good security features and WordPress website builder.
DreamHost comes out as a reliable and speedy provider, handling all of my tests perfectly well.
The provider guarantees 100% uptime. But, in reality, that’s not possible, considering that server reboots and maintenance periods are common practices. This puts DreamHost at an almost ideal >99.99% uptime result, with only a single outage.
The server average response time is also excellent, standing at 231ms compared to the 600ms industry standard.
The only downside is that servers are located in the US only, with no possibility to change locations. So it's the best option if your audience resides in North America as well.
In short, DreamHost is a reliable host with a speedy response time. If you are intrigued about learning more about its performance, you should check out the complete DreamHost review.
DreamHost keeps it simple by offering 2 shared hosting options, Starter($2.59/mo) and Unlimited($3.95/mo). Both plans come with daily backups, free SSL, and free domain. Additionally, each plan offers unlimited bandwidth and free domain privacy.
So, what’s the difference?
- Starter ($2.59/mo) can host only one website on 50GB storage and charges extra ($1.67) for each mailbox.
- Unlimited ($3.95/mo) comes with unlimited storage for unlimited sites and email accounts.
In addition to affordable prices and secure web hosting, you also get a long 97-day refund period for testing the service.
Choose Starter for a small personal website project. It's affordable on all billing terms. Meanwhile, if you're looking to monetize, Unlimited includes better resources and a professional email account at still very good prices.
- Great features for WordPress websites
- Strong security and privacy measures
- Affordable on all billing periods
- Live chat not available 24/7
- No email accounts with Starter
|Features||Free domain, SSL, unlimited storage, email accounts, cPanel|
|Best for||No-fuss beginner-friendly hosting|
HostGator is a no-fuss beginner-friendly web hosting with prices starting at $2.75/mo. Despite low pricing, the provider offers everything required to run your personal website, including email accounts, SSL, and a free domain.
The key features that make HostGator the best web host for personal websites:
- HostGator is very easy to use, employing cPanel to do the job. At the same time, you can set up email, SSL, domain, and even do WordPress installation using shortcuts on the dashboard.
- The host’s cheapest plan includes every essential feature such as SSL, domain, and email accounts for creating and managing your personal website.
- You can take advantage of its extensive knowledge base, which also includes video tutorials. Additionally, good customer support is available via 24/7 live chat and phone support.
Simply put, HostGator is well-equipped, affordable, and very user-friendly unlimited host for personal use.
I ran a few months of performance and stability tests to get an objective understanding. I found HostGator to offer excellent stability and good performance in my testing.
HostGator’s 99.99% uptime surprised me, considering that the host gives a standard 99.9% uptime guarantee.
The average response time also didn’t disappoint either, standing at 525 ms average, better than the 600ms market average.
But just like many providers, HostGator's servers are in the US-only, making it ideal for the North American audiences, but not so much global visitors.
In any case, HostGator servers are responsive and reliable. Still, if you have questions about the performance, check out the full HostGator review.
With shared hosting prices starting at $2.75/mo, HostGator is one of the cheapest hosting services in the market. The host offers 3 hosting plans where each plan comes with access to a free SSL and free domain. Additionally, you get unmetered bandwidth, storage, and email accounts with each plan.
- Hatchling ($2.75/mo) – includes hosting for one personal website.
- Baby ($3.50/mo) – lifts one website limit. You can now host as many websites as you wish.
- Pro ($5.25/mo) – adds SEO tools, dedicated IP, and a Positive SSL upgrade.
Apart from offering affordable and inclusive plans, HostGator also has a prolonged money-back guarantee. You can get a refund for 45 days after the purchase.
Baby plan at $3.50/mo (3-year subscription needed) is the best pick as you can host unlimited websites on it. It's just $0.75/mo extra to the Hatchling.
- Affordable pricing even on more premium plans
- Excellent features accessibility via the dashboard
- Extensive knowledge base and good support
- US-only servers
- Requires longer billing periods for the cheapest price
|Features||Free domain, SSL, email accounts, 1-on-1 training, cPanel|
|Best for||Beginner users seeking help building a website|
HostPapa is a hidden gem for users that need extra support. With plans starting at $3.16/mo, the host offers a standard user-friendly interface ideal for beginners combined with personal customer support options.
The main things that make HostPapa worth your attention include:
- Standard cPanel management, from where you can easily install WordPress, manage backups, or add domains - giving you complete control of your site.
- HostPapa’s free one-one-training session by professionals provides beginners a good way to explore questions related to your site. For example, you can ask about how to secure WordPress or how to customize a theme. Overall, customer support at HostPapa is great.
- Plans are inclusive, with all essentials like a free domain for a year, SSL, and email accounts included. Plus, server resources are generous.
HostPapa’s standardized approach coupled with one-on-one support makes it a great pick for personal websites.
While HostPapa is very reliable, performance tests revealed pretty lazy load times. Nonetheless, for personal website hosting, such results won't have any negative impact.
HostPapa brings its best on the uptime front by scoring 100% in my testing. Much better than the 99.9% uptime guarantee offered.
However, the average response time at 1.19s is almost double the 600ms market average. This makes HostPapa’s performance lackluster compared to other similar competitors. Still, for a personal website, it won't affect your or your visitors' experience.
And the last one for the positive impression – HostPapa has servers in the US, Canada, and Europe. You can choose the most convenient location for your visitors and potentially improve loading speeds.
Altogether, HostPapa is very reliable but not so much fast. Check out the full HostPapa review for more performance insights.
HostPapa pricing can be best described as average, with its shared hosting plans starting at $3.16/mo. Despite a slightly higher price point compared to other best web hosting for personal websites, the 3 shared HostPapa offers unmetered bandwidth, SSL certificates, Cloudflare CDN, free email accounts, free domain registration, and a free one-on-one training session.
- Starter ($3.16/mo) – 100 GB storage and 100 email accounts are included for 1 website.
- Business ($3.16/mo) – unlimited websites with unlimited email accounts and storage.
- Business Pro ($10.36/mo) – auto backups, Wildcard SSL, and extra security features are added.
Purchasing HostPapa, you're also covered by 30-day money-back guarantee to securely try the services out.
The Starter plan ($3.16/mo) offers the best value if you get a 3-year subscription. 100GB storage and all of the essentials for a personal website are included.
- All plans come with a free domain
- Free one-on-one training session
- Data centers present in 3 locations
- Sluggish server response time
- Higher price point
Personal website hosting: final recommendations
A personal website hosting provider should keep it simple for beginners and provide enough features for experienced users so they can scale when needed.
Let’s go through our best personal website hosting providers and their strengths to refresh our memories:
- Hostinger is an affordable, fast, and easy-to-use personal website hosting option for those who want to get the best value for their money.
- Bluehost is a WordPress-centric personal website hosting with access to tools and an AI-based WordPress website builder.
- DreamHost offers inclusive and cheap plans with strong security features and a WordPress website builder.
- HostGator is a beginner-friendly personal website host powered by cPanel that includes all website essentials.
- HostPapa is a no-fuss and straightforward personal website hosting provider with access to one-on-one training sessions.
How much does it cost to host a personal website?
Personal website hosting costs can vary from around $1 to $10-30 a month. It consists of hosting costs, domain name, additional features, and web development.
- Hosting cost – A personal website is generally a lightweight site. This means you can opt for the cheapest shared hosting plan. In our list, Hostinger’s cheapest plan of $2.59/mo should suffice your needs. In case you want more features, you can always opt for higher-priced plans.
- Domain name price – on average, a domain name can cost anywhere between $8 to $20 per year. However, most hosting providers give access to a free domain for a year when you sign up for long-term plans.
- Website design – if you opt for WordPress, you can take advantage of its ecosystem, including free themes and plugins. Additionally, you also get WordPress website builder with many hosting providers out there. On this list, Bluehost and DreamHost have really good ones.
- Scalability – Do you want to scale? Then, you need to consider the prices of VPS, Cloud, or dedicated hosting servers. On average, these server types are three to four times costly compared to shared hosting.
- Extra features – depending on the complexity of your project, take extra security and other tools into consideration. This can cost you from $1 to hundreds of dollars extra.
To put it together, the most simplistic personal website will cost you $2.59/mo for good hosting and an additional $8-10/year for a domain name. That's very cheap and you can use this point as a benchmark when deciding on the size and features of your future website.
Personal web hosting FAQs
What is the best hosting for a personal website?
The best web hosting for a personal website is currently offered by Hostinger. It's cheap, has good performance, support, and is easy to use – all of the essentials needed for personal projects.
Where can I host my personal website?
You can host your personal website with any reputable hosting company. On this list, we have 5 excellent options for various needs to consider.
Is WordPress hosting free?
No, WordPress hosting is not free, however, WordPress application is. To host WordPress, you need to get a proper hosting provider and then install WordPress on the server.
How can I publish my website for free?
You can use free hosting providers to host your website for free. However, it is not a recommended way as your site is extensively limited when it comes to basic features and resources. A self-hosted site also suffers from similar problems.
How expensive is a server?
A dedicated server is expensive. The prices for hardware range from a hundred to thousands of dollars. That's excluding software, electricity, and maintenance. However, you can set up a personal server hosting operation pretty cheaply using old computer hardware.