There are plenty of reasons why someone might want to change their location on Instagram, like for business promotion, accessing Instagram Music, or to protect your privacy. Luckily, there are several different ways you can change your location on Instagram.
One of the solutions would be to trust a GPS spoofing app, however, you need to be careful since their security is quite unreliable. A much safer way to spoof your Instagram location would be with a reliable VPN provider, for example, NordVPN.
A VPN will encrypt your data, therefore securing your information from hackers or cyber threats, and unblock features by changing your location.
In this guide, we’ll talk you through how to change your location on Instagram on the most popular operating systems, and provide suggestions for the best VPNs for Instagram.
How to change location on Instagram with a VPN ?
- Select a reliable VPN with plenty of servers to choose from. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the software and create an account.
- Connect to a server in the location of your choice.
- Login to Instagram and start using the app as normal.
- Enjoy accessing and posting content as though you’re in another part of the world.
Why do you need a VPN for Instagram?
There are plenty of reasons why someone might need a VPN for Instagram. Here are some of them:
- Security. A VPN is first and foremost a security tool. It encrypts your data, so it becomes unhackable to hackers or cyber threats. Also, a reliable VPN hides your online activity from your ISP (internet service provider), which may be collecting your data to sell to third parties or send you some targeted advertisements.
- Privacy. With a VPN on, you can connect from whichever server you pick, so there are no targeted ads. Additionally, the best VPN providers have independently audited no-logs policies that ensure that your information isn’t logged for later use. Another point is RAM-only servers, so there are no physical hard drives with your information.
- Geo-restrictions. Some Instagram features may not be available for all locations equally. With a VPN you can bypass these restrictions. Additionally, some social media platforms are banned in some countries, like China, Iran, North Korea, and Russia. Also, Instagram can often be blocked by network administrators in offices or schools. A VPN will help bypass these restrictions.
- Accessing limited features. Instagram music may not be available for your location, or maybe you’re trying to advertise yourself in more varied locations. A VPN is the tool for that since it can spoof your location and allow you to tag your physical location differently and bypass geo-blocks for features.
Top VPNs to change your location on Instagram
- NordVPN – best overall VPN for Instagram
- Surfshark – best value VPN for Instagram
- IPVanish – secure VPN to use with Instagram
- PrivateVPN – very customizable VPN for Instagram
If you’re looking for a secure and reliable VPN to help you change your location on Instagram, then you’ve found the right place. The VPN market is really oversaturated with so many different providers. That’s why you’re in luck because we’ve found the top 4 best VPNs to help you securely use Instagram and change your location easily.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for changing your location on Instagram
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
When it comes to choosing a VPN for Instagram, you won’t find a better option than NordVPN. This VPN has so many server locations to pick from that you’ll easily find the one that unblocks all of the Instagram geo-blocked features.
NordVPN offers you reliable data security with AES-256 encryption, so your personal information is safe while browsing Instagram. Better yet, this VPN offers strong data leak protection with our tested and confirmed reliable kill switch. A strict no-log policy will ensure that your data is not collected and sold to third parties.
Thanks to the fast NordLynx tunneling protocol, your connection speeds won’t suffer going through a VPN. So you won’t notice any major differences while using Instagram.
With more than 5500 servers in 59 countries, you’ll certainly find the best location for Instagram and get to broaden your feed and reach, or to access Instagram Music.
For all this, NordVPN is excellent value for money, with prices starting at $3.09/month. There’s a 7-day free trial with Android devices or a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, be sure to check out our detailed NordVPN review.
- The safest VPN we’ve tested
- Can unblock Instagram Music easily
- Excellent choice of servers
- Consistently fast speeds
- Great customer support
- No router app
2. Surfshark – best value VPN for Instagram
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
If you like a bargain, you’ll love Surfshark because it offers genuinely brilliant value for money. It can bypass geo-restrictions on Instagram Music, has a large servers fleet of 3200+ servers in 95 countries, and has a GPS spoofer that will make changing your location on Instagram even easier.
Additionally, Surfshark is also a very safe provider. It has an impressive suite of security features that will keep your data completely safe, including AES-256 encryption, tried and tested kill switch, a split tunneling feature, and antivirus software.
Remarkably, despite being one of the most competitively priced VPNs on the market, Surfshark is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, thanks to the reliable WireGuard protocol. So, you won’t notice a speed drop while connecting to Instagram via a VPN tunnel.
You can get this VPN for as low as $2.30/month and cover unlimited devices simultaneously. Better yet, you can try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, take a look at our full Surshark VPN review.
- Great value for money
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fastest VPN we’ve tried
- Can unblock Instagram Music
- Based in a privacy-unfriendly jurisdiction
3. IPVanish – strong VPN privacy features to use with Instagram
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 69% OFF|
IPVanish is one of the most popular VPNs on the market, and it’s not hard to see why. It combines great security options with a simple, intuitive interface that makes it easy to use.
With more than 2000 servers in 50 countries, unblocking Instagram Music, or other geo-blocked features will be a piece of cake. Also, with such a variety of server locations, you will certainly have plenty of choices to vary your content target groups.
Further, IPVanish offers great data protection, like AES-256 encryption, secure WireGuard protocol, a reliable kill switch that we’ve tested and can confirm its strength, and an independently audited no-logs policy. So your real IP address will be thoroughly protected and none of your data will be collected.
IPVanish has a great deal for the premium subscription. The price starts at $3.33/month and gives you unlimited simultaneous connections. Better yet, you can try this VPN out with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you still need convincing, be sure to check out our in-depth IPVanish review.
- Can bypass Instagram’s restrictions
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Excellent suite of security features
- Fast speeds
- Good value for money
- Based in the US, which isn’t privacy-friendly
- Doesn’t work in China
4. PrivateVPN – customizable VPN for Instagram
|🖥️Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63 countires|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||PrivateVPN coupon 85% OFF|
Another VPN for Instagram, PrivateVPN is based in Sweden and offers geographically diverse server options for you to change your posting location on Instagram and access Instagram Music.
PrivateVPN uses WireGurad protocol, so won’t notice noticeable speed drops while browsing on Instagram. Additionally, there’s the opportunity to customize the data encryption levels, a reliable kill switch to prevent data leaks, and an obfuscated server option.
Speaking of trying this VPN out, there’s a 7-day free trial and an additional 30-day money-back guarantee. Overall, you can get the PrivateVPN subscription for $2.00/month and get 10 simultaneous connections.
For more details, take a look at our PrivateVPN review.
- Can bypass Instagram geo-restrictions
- Fast connections
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Customizable encryption
- Small server fleet
- Hasn't been independently audited
How we picked the VPNs for Instagram
We’ve tested around a dozen VPN providers and the ones on this list came as the superior ones. Here are the criteria we required them to meet:
- Security. A VPN is a great tool to prevent Instagram or other websites from collecting your data. For this list, we chose secure VPNs with reliable AES-256 encryption, good kill switch, and solid logging policies. So your information is protected and not sold to third parties.
- Speed. To get on this list the VPNs had to provide reliable speed results. The best choice for that was the ones with WireGuard protocol (or NordLynx – this is NordVPN’s version of WireGuard). Because this protocol offers great connection speed without sacrificing security.
- Servers. A lot of Instagram features are geo-blocked, so for our list, we required the providers with the most geographically diverse server locations and various device coverage. So you could access all of the blocked features and have plenty of options to change your Instagram location.
How does Instagram detect your location?
Instagram uses a variety of methods to track your location, including Bluetooth emitters, GPS, and nearby Wi-Fi access points. In addition to this, Instagram also geotags your photos as you upload them, so it can pinpoint exactly where you are in the world.
However, if you don’t wish to add a location to your photos, Instagram still geotags your posts. This is deeply concerning, as it allows anyone to work out precisely where you are. And as most people post from their homes or from places they frequent, such as their work or school, it means that strangers can learn your exact location.
If you’re concerned about your privacy, make sure to check out the best VPNs that have zero-logs policies. So you are certain that your information is secure and not stored for unknown purposes.
Reasons to use VPN on Instagram
Here, we’ve broken down some of the main reasons why you might want to change your Instagram location.
Instagram uses different tools to pinpoint your location, so it’s extremely important to protect this sensitive data. A VPN is the best tool for that since it can mask your IP address, some VPNs even have geo-spoofers so it becomes more difficult to track your location.
Additionally, Instagram logs information about you, which then can translate to targeted advertising. A VPN is useful here as well because it makes your activity encrypted, so it’s harder to target you with specific ads. If you’re still not sure, read our guide on whether or not you should get a VPN.
Access to Instagram Music and other geo-blocked content
The Instagram Music Sticker allows you to add songs and lyrics to your Instagram Stories. However, Instagram Music isn’t available in many countries. And even if you can access it, not all songs are available in every country because Instagram has to comply with music licensing.
However, if you change your location on Instagram, you’ll be able to bypass these geo-restrictions and unblock the songs you want to create that perfect post.
Not to mention, the great point of VPN is that all of the location-blocked or restricted content becomes available for you with a quick and simple change of server location.
Traveling in a country that blocks Instagram
If you’re traveling in a country that blocks access to Instagram but still wish to continue posting stories or Instagram reals, you’ll need to spoof your location to use the app.
At the time of writing, the following countries have blocked the use of Instagram, along with other popular social media platforms:
- North Korea
If you’re planning a trip abroad, be sure to read our guide on the best VPNs for traveling.
How to change Instagram location on your device
Although it may sound difficult, it’s actually pretty easy to trick your Instagram location on your device. Here, we’ll explain exactly how to do it on some of the most popular operating systems.
Instagram location change on Android
Here are the steps to make to change Instagram location on your Android device.
- Choose a VPN with plenty of servers in the location you want. We recommend NordVPN, as it has a large fleet of servers.
- Download and install the software from the Google Play Store and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in your preferred location.
- Open up the Instagram app and clear the cache and storage.
- Now you’re ready to start posting content from a different part of the world.
If you live in a country where VPNs aren’t available, then to download the VPN app you’ll first have to change your Google Play Store location. You can find those instructions in our article.
Instagram location change on iOS
Here are the instructions on how to spoof your Instagram location on iOS devices:
- Select a VPN that can unblock Instagram Music. We’d choose NordVPN for this because it has an excellent iOS app.
- Download and install the software from the Apple App Store and create an account.
- Connect to a server in the location you’ve chosen.
- Go to the Instagram app and enjoy creating and accessing content from a different country.
If you live in a country where VPNs aren’t available, then to download the VPN app you’ll first have to change your Apple App Store location. You can find those instructions in our article.
Instagram location change on desktop
It’s not too difficult to change your location on you desktop either. Except you may not see that much of a difference.
- Choose a VPN with a variety of server locations. Our top suggestion is NordVPN, as it has a large list of location options.
- Download and install the VPN app from the provider’s website.
- Create your account and sign up.
- Connect to a server in your preferred location.
- Open up the Instagram app. You should now be logged as logging in from your new location.
- Enjoy the feed.
How to access Instagram Music from anywhere
Due to licensing agreements, Instagram Music is only available in the following countries:
But don’t worry if you’re outside these locations because there’s a really simple way for you to access Instagram Music from anywhere. Here’s what you need to do:
- Select a VPN that has a large fleet of servers in a wide variety of countries. NordVPN is perfect for this.
- Download and install the software and sign up for a subscription.
- Connect to a server in a country that has a large library of songs and lyrics on Instagram Music, such as the US, Canada, or the UK.
- Log back into Instagram and start searching for your favorite tunes.
Can’t change location on Instagram with a VPN?
If you’ve been struggling to connect to Instagram with a VPN, you may need to check if you haven’t accidentally connected to a server in the wrong location. Or you need to double-check the steps on how to successfully change your location with a VPN.
If that’s not it, there’s a chance that your VPN simply doesn’t work. There are a few ways to solve this issue.
You might be suffering from one of the following issues:
- Your actual IP address might be leaking
- Your VPN can’t bypass Instagram’s geo-restrictions
- The cookies on your device could be giving away your true location
- The GPS location on your device doesn’t match the IP address given to you by your VPN
Here are some simple things you can do to resolve these problems:
- Connect to a different server
- Clear your cache and cookies
- Try a different browser
- Check you’ve enabled IP leak protection on your VPN
- Contact your VPN’s customer service team
If you’ve tried all these suggestions and you still can’t get it to work, it might be time to upgrade to a better VPN. Our top suggestion is reliable and tested NordVPN. It’s the most secure, one of the fastest, and feature-rich. Additionally, you certainly won't struggle with changing Instagram location with this VPN.
Change your Instagram location with a free VPN
While you might be able to use a free VPN to change your Instagram location, it’s not likely to work. This is because free VPNs tend to have fewer servers, which often are overcrowded and are more likely to be detected as VPN traffic.
What’s worse, free VPN providers don’t usually have strong security features. Some of them actually profit by selling customer data to advertisers and other third parties, and you may be targeted with malicious ads while using a free VPN.
Or you can always try out the risk-free trial of some of the premium VPNs before deciding to commit to the subscriptions. Our favorites NordVPN and Surfshark both come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. That gives you plenty of time to try out their premium products.
Instagram uses several clever ways to track your location, but there’s a way to regain some of the control over the data this app collects with a reliable VPN. Additionally, this can also be the way to spice up your feed or advertise your businesses in wider global markets.
Another great feature that a VPN offers, is that it unblocks the geo-locked Instagram features like Instagram Music. So not only is your data encrypted and secure, but there are no longer restrictions on what app features you can use.
The best option for a VPN to change your Instagram location is NordVPN. This is the most secure VPN provider, with great connection speeds, a variety of location options, and a large fleet of servers so you don’t even experience overcrowdedness. So jump right in and try it out to both secure yourself and gain a more enjoyable online experience.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I use Instagram with a VPN?
Yes, you can still use Instagram if you’re connected to a VPN. In fact, a VPN comes with loads of security features to protect your sensitive data, so it’s a sensible idea to use one while you’re posting photos or scrolling through stories. If you connect to a server in a different location, however, it might make it more difficult for you to geotag your photos. To find out how to do this, check out our simple step-by-step instructions earlier in this guide.
How do you post on Instagram using a VPN?
Posting on Instagram while you’re connected to a VPN is almost as straightforward as posting without one. Once you’ve connected to a server in your chosen location, simply log back in and start using Instagram as normal. You may not be able to accurately geotag your photos, but on the plus side, this means you can tag your posts in another part of the world. To find out more, be sure to read all our tips and tricks in the article above.
Can you use a proxy to change your Instagram location?
While you can use a proxy server to change your Instagram location, it’s not a particularly secure way. Instead, , as it will also provide you with privacy features to help keep you safe while you’re online. For recommendations of VPNs that work well on Instagram, take a look at our list above.
Is it legal to change your location on Instagram?
Yes, it’s legal to change your location on Instagram. However, doing it with a VPN might violate the Terms of Service or be against your country’s law. Therefore, you should pick a reliable VPN for this job, like NordVPN. If you don’t want to use a VPN, you could use a proxy server or a GPS spoofing app. But it’s worth noting that these options aren’t as secure. And some GPS spoofing apps may be untrustworthy, which could jeopardize your personal information.