How to change region on Steam in 2022
Certain Steam games are restricted by country or region, or are more expensive in some countries than in others. Additionally, some countries such as China have restrictive censorship laws that prevent you from accessing Steam altogether.
However, there’s a way around these geo-restrictions. Using a VPN to change your store country on Steam will get you access to geo-restricted games, discounts, and better deals.
But changing Steam region is not as simple as it used to be in the olden days. In this article, I will take you through the steps on how to change your region on Steam, discuss the best Steam VPNs, and talk about what to keep in mind when changing your steam country.
How to change your Steam region with a VPN
- Download and install a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 60% OFF.
- Connect VPN to the server in the country you need.
- Log in to your Steam account and add a game to your shopping cart.
- Click on “Update Store Country.”
- Enter a new billing address in the selected country and click “Apply Country Change.”
How to change your store region on Steam with a VPN - a detailed guide:
While changing your location on Steam used to be simple and straightforward back in the early days, it's not so simple now. Also, keep in mind that Steam lets you change your store region and currency only once in three months.
Here’s a comprehensive and detailed step-by-step guide on how to change your store region on Steam with a VPN:
- Get a VPN subscription – look for a service with great speeds and lots of servers. NordVPN is a good choice.
- Download the app and install it.
- Connect the VPN to a server in your desired country.
- Open Steam and go to “Store”.
- Add a game to your shopping cart. You won’t have to purchase anything just yet, this is a necessary step to change your store region and currency.
- Inside the shopping cart, click on the country list in the upper right corner and select your preferred country:
- In the popup window, select your preferred country:
- Once you change the country, the price of the game should also change:
- Proceed to checkout and enter new payment method details. Note – your billing address has to be in the country you selected, together with that country’s zip code.
- Once you’ve entered the payment method details, proceed to checkout and enjoy your new discounted game.
If you're looking for more information on how to use VPNs on various devices, you can take a look at our detailed guides below:
- VPNs for Windows - best VPNs for using Steam on Windows
- VPNs for Mac - the most secure and reliable VPNs for Mac
- Best Android VPNs - browse on your phone securely with VPNs for Android
- iPhone VPNs - take a look at the best VPNs for iPhone
- VPNs for smart TVs - VPNs for streaming content on your smart TV
Or grab a special limited Cybernews deal for one of the most reputable VPNs in the market:
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Use coupon code “CYBERNEWS” to get NordVPN, now 60% OFF!
Things to keep in mind while changing store country on Steam
Changing your store region and currency on Steam may seem simple and straightforward, but there are some things worth taking into consideration. Here’s the most important stuff to remember before, while, and after changing Steam country:
- Steam allows you to change your store region and currency only once every three months. They do this to prevent people from changing their store region too often to find better game deals.
- Changing your Steam store region requires a billing address from that region. So before you do that, find some friends that are willing to share their address and zip code with you for this purpose. Otherwise, you won’t be able to buy games from different countries.
- You’ll need to use a Russian credit card to top up your Steam Wallet while in Russia, virtually or not. Otherwise, it's likely that you will get banned from Steam. This is most likely because games and in-game items are, according to some, 80-90% cheaper than everywhere else in the world.
- When choosing a VPN to use with Steam, take into account whether the provider has servers in your desired countries, how fast and secure are the encryption protocols, and if there are any bandwidth limitations.
Can you get banned for using a VPN on Steam?
No, you won’t get banned by Steam for using a VPN to protect your identity, avoid DDoS attacks, or improve your Internet connection while gaming. So, unless using a VPN in your country is illegal, you should be in the clear.
However, using a VPN to change countries in order to get cheaper and/or geo-restricted game deals is against Steam Terms of Service. Steam parent company Valve reserves the right to suspend or permanently ban your account if you are caught purchasing games and items in Steam with a VPN.
If you’re going to risk it, I recommend you to pick the right VPN provider, one that is sophisticated enough to help you avoid getting banned from Steam.
Best Steam VPNs tested in 2022
While using a VPN is the best way to change your region on Steam, finding the best provider may not be so easy. But don’t worry, I did some research on your behalf and made a list of the best Steam VPNs to use on all of your gaming devices:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for changing Steam region
- Surfshark – VPN with plenty locations to change Steam country
- IPVanish – very secure VPN for Steam
- PrivateVPN – Steam VPN with customizable security
- PureVPN – top-tier privacy guarantees
For more information about each VPN, keep on reading below:
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Steam
|Servers/Countries:||5400 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN with 60% OFF!|
NordVPN uses military-grade encryption and a host of other features to keep your browsing identity private. It’s lightning-fast, with the option to get a dedicated static IP address for an additional fee, and no throttling or bandwidth limitations, so it won’t slow down your gaming.
It’s one of the most reliable VPN services, with over 5400 servers in 60 countries. It also comes with a reasonable price tag (starting from $3.29/month) and a 30-day, no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
To learn more about NordVPN, see our NordVPN review.
- Great speed test scores
- SOCKS5 proxy
- P2P servers
- Unblocks Netflix
- Split tunneling
- No free version
2. Surfshark – the cheapest VPN to change Steam country
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/Countries:||3200 servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!|
For “team” gamers, Surfshark offers the advantage of using unlimited devices on one subscription. You and a whole cohort of your friends can game together with one VPN subscription.
Surfshark boasts impressive speeds, unlimited bandwidth, over 3200 servers across 65 countries, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. The provider's tiers are also on the cheaper side, with prices starting from $2.30/month.
For more Surfshark features, check our Surfshark VPN review.
- Great speed test scores
- Low subscription price
- Unblocks several Netflix libraries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Limited Mac app
- No free version
3. IPVanish – lots of privacy features
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/Countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus!|
IPVanish is a solid VPN capable of making geo-restrictions a thing of the past.
With one of the lowest VPN prices in the market, IPVanish offers insane value. It’s compatible with torrenting clients, includes split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxy, and can obfuscate your traffic. That way, no one will even find out that you’re using a VPN.
IPVanish offers subscriptions starting from $3.99/month. And no matter which plan you choose, you will be getting unlimited simultaneous connections. That’s plenty to cover all your devices.
Make sure to read our IPVanish review to learn about all the included features.
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Connection scrambling
- SOCKS5 proxy
- Price increases after a year
- Fails to unblock some streaming services
- Not the biggest feature list
4. PrivateVPN – customizable security options
|Servers/Countries:||200 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF!|
Private VPN has over 200 servers in 63 locations and is a perfectly good VPN for Steam. It offers the option to customize your security settings as you please. This allows for greater flexibility when you value speed over security more, or vice versa.
On top of that, IPVanish has some pretty neat additional features, such as port forwarding, SOCKS5 proxies, and obfuscated servers. It works with all major operating systems, a few minor ones, and is even capable of unblocking Netflix and DAZN.
PrivateVPN’s prices start at $2.00/month, but you can also get a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more details, take a look at our PrivateVPN review.
- Unblocks many streaming websites
- Customizable encryption
- Port forwarding
- Limited tunneling protocol selection
- Modest server fleet
5. PureVPN – top-tier security guarantees
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/Countries:||6500 servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
PureVPN has the biggest number of server locations all over the world – you’ll be able to unblock Steam content in 78 countries and enjoy otherwise unavailable games from anywhere.
This VPN provider is also great at unblocking streaming content from various sites, including Netflix and even DAZN. And while it doesn’t have that many additional features, PureVPN can offer you really good speeds and up to 10 simultaneous connections. All of your gaming devices will be under top-tier VPN protection.
PureVPN pricing starts at $1.99/month. However, if you’re looking for some sweeter deals, check out our PureVPN coupon page.
To learn more, read our PureVPN review.
- Military-grade encryption
- Port forwarding
- No DNS leaks
- No WireGuard protocol
- No free version
Best VPNs for Steam comparison
Here’s how the best Steam VPNs compare to each other in terms of price, number of servers and locations, and how many simultaneous connections they allow:
In what countries is Steam unavailable?
Steam is a software distribution platform and gaming hardware producer owned by Valve Corporation, and it is available globally, with few exceptions. Valve is a US corporation, and the United States has software export prohibitions due to sanctions applied to some countries. Some countries in which Steam may not be available:
North Korea, Syria, Cuba, Sudan, Iran.
Why do I need a VPN for Steam?
If you’re not unsure whether you should really use a VPN to change region on Steam, here are some of the benefits that can make you reconsider:
- Access geo-restricted deals and discounts. Some countries charge different prices for Steam games. If you activate a VPN in that country, you may be able to get the same game at a cheaper price than the one available in your current location.
- Protect yourself from DDoS attacks. DDoS attacks are particularly prominent in the gaming communities, so hiding your IP address while playing in multiplayer servers would be in your best interest. A VPN changes your IP address, so no one will be able to execute DDoS attacks on you.
- Maintain online privacy. Browsing with a VPN has advantages over and above access to geo-restricted content. VPNs encrypt your browsing activity, blocking it from prying eyes, so you can stay safe and anonymous online at all times.
Steam not working with a VPN - what to do?
Sometimes, even the best VPN doesn’t work as it’s supposed to, and you can’t change your Steam country. Here are some things you can do to fix your VPN problems:
- Connect to a different server
- Check if the IP leak protection in your VPN client is turned on
- Temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall software – it could be interfering with your VPN activity
- Contact your VPN provider’s customer support
- Change your VPN provider
If you decided to change your VPN provider, here are some of the best VPNs that work with Steam:
- NordVPN - the best VPN for steam and gaming alike
- Surfshark - lightning fast VPN with the best unblocking capabilities
- IPVanish - an extra secure VPN to change your Steam region with
- PrivateVPN - customizable security options ensure the best gaming and streaming experience
- PureVPN - 78 server locations all over the world for unblocking restricted content
Can you change your region on Steam with a free VPN?
Yes, changing your store region with a free VPN is possible, but it will come with certain limitations.
Free VPNs usually don’t have that many servers and locations to choose from, so it is not guaranteed that you’ll be able to change your Steam region to the one you need. Besides that, free VPNs usually don’t offer any additional features, such as specialised servers, ad-blocking, or obfuscated servers for maximum privacy. And on top of that, free VPNs are known to sell user data to third parties.
But if you really want to try and change your store country on Steam with a free VPN, I suggest you look into freemium VPNs, such as Atlas VPN. Freemium VPNs have pretty good free versions, and the option to upgrade to even better paid plans for agreeable prices.
Another option is to also look into VPNs that have free trials and/or money back guarantees:
- NordVPN – considered the best VPN provider on the market with blazing fast speeds and military-grade encryption. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a free trial.
- Surfshark – one of the fastest and the most budget-friendly VPNs with advanced features for your security and privacy online. Surfshark has a 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can also try Surfshark for free for 7 days.
The 500-pound gorilla of PC gaming, Steam can be a fantastic and affordable platform for buying and playing games. However, if you’re not in the right region, it can also get pretty expensive or simply unavailable. In some countries, access to games on Steam is restricted or with huge prices.
However, a fast and reliable VPN with a lot of servers worldwide can help you change your virtual location and allow you to buy games for lower prices in a different region. On top of that, a good VPN also comes with additional benefits – you’ll be able to unblock streaming platforms and other content, as well as protect yourself from DDoS attacks while gaming.
The best VPNs for changing Steam country are NordVPN and Surfshark. Try them out, and let us know in the comments your experience of changing your store region on Steam.
More guides from CyberNews:
Why can't I change my country on Steam?
You probably can’t change your location on Steam because the country of your IP address and billing address don’t match. To get around this issue, use a VPN to change your IP address to your chosen country. We think NordVPN is the best option for changing your store country on Steam.
Can Steam ban you for using a VPN?
Yes, Steam can technically ban you for using a VPN to change the store region in order to buy cheaper games. However, if you’re using a VPN for other purposes, such as privacy and protection, Steam won’t really care and you most likely won’t get banned.
Why is my Steam region-locked?
Your Steam may be region-locked while trying to play a gifted game because that game is only available to play in the country of purchase and other specified territories. Steam will warn you if the game has geo-restrictions before you buy it.
Why are Steam prices different in different countries?
Game prices on Steam are different in different countries, because some countries are wealthier than others, so games in those countries may be more expensive than elsewhere in the world. Game prices are controlled by the game distributors, and not by Steam itself.