CTV is the largest privately-owned TV network in Canada. But, as the name would suggest, it’s not available to watch outside the country.
No need to be concerned, though, because there’s an easy way to watch CTV from the US, or anywhere else in the world. The only thing you need to do is use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in Canada. This will allow you to watch all the content you want, no matter where you are.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to use a VPN to watch CTV on the most popular devices. We’ll also recommend the best providers and suggest troubleshooting solutions if it doesn’t work! So read on to find out all you need to know.
How to watch CTV in the USA with a VPN
- Choose a VPN with servers in Canada. We recommend NordVPN for this, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Go to the CTV website or app and either sign in or create an account.
- Have fun choosing what to watch first!
Why do you need a VPN to watch CTV in the USA?
CTV is a Canadian TV network with loads of great content, including major US shows and exclusive Canadian content, such as Canada’s Worst Driver, MasterChef Canada, and Being Canadian. But, as you might suspect, it’s only available to watch in Canada.
This is because CTV must comply with distribution rights, licensing agreements, and copyright laws. That said, if you attempt to watch CTV from the US, or anywhere else outside Canada, you’ll be blocked by the following error message: We’re sorry, this content is only available for viewing in Canada.
But the necessary thing to note is that there’s an easy workaround, which will allow you to access CTV from anywhere in the world. All you need to do is sign up for a reputable VPN with plenty of high-quality Canadian servers.
Once you’ve got your VPN up and running, the only thing you need to do is to connect to a Canadian server, then head to the CTV website or app, and you’ll be able to watch everything it has to offer, regardless of where you are.
However, as mentioned, you’ll need a strong VPN with a large fleet of servers for this to work. To help you out, we’ve recommended three of our favorites in the next section to help you unblock CTV from anywhere.
Best VPNs to watch CTV stream online
- NordVPN – Best VPN for watching CTV from anywhere
- Surfshark – Great-value CTV solution
- IPVanish – Excellent provider with strong security
The only tricky thing about using a VPN to watch CTV is finding one that can consistently unblock the streaming service from outside Canada. This means that it’s vital you choose a reputable provider with a fleet of solid Canadian servers.
To give you a helping hand, we’ve tested out dozens of solutions and have picked out our top three VPNs that can give you access to CTV from the US, and other countries. We also made sure our recommendations had strong security features, fast speeds, and the ability to unblock other region-restricted content. Let’s take a look at which VPNs performed best.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for watching CTV from anywhere
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500 servers in 59 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
Whether you’re trying to watch CTV from the US or anywhere else in the world, you won’t find a better solution than NordVPN. It has more than 5,000 international servers, including more than 480 servers in Canada. This means it can unblock CTV, along with almost any other streaming service you could want.
It’s also by far the most secure VPN we’ve ever used, and it offers lightning-quick speeds that are perfect for streaming.
Subscriptions start from $3.09 per month. And right now, you can use one of our coupons to get a 68% discount for NordVPN, making this a market-leading deal!
- Impressive fleet of Canadian servers
- Unbeatable security features
- Excellent speeds for streaming
- Genuinely helpful customer support team
- Can easily unblock region-restricted content
- You have to provide an email address when signing up
2. Surfshark – Great-value CTV solution
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons: ||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly solution that doesn’t skimp on features, Surfshark is unbeatable. It boasts over 3,200 servers worldwide, including 336 in Canada. So you can use it to watch CTV from anywhere, along with any other geo-blocked streaming services.
Even better, it offers strong security, unlimited simultaneous connections, and the fastest speeds you can get on a VPN.
Prices start from just $2.30 per month, and you can use one of our coupons to enjoy 82% off a Surfshark subscription, along with 3 months for free!
- Best value for money you can find
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unbeatable speeds
- Impressive range of Canadian servers
- Perhaps not the best choice for Apple devices
3. IPVanish – excellent provider with strong security
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50+ countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons: ||IPVanish coupon 69% OFF|
If you want a good-value VPN that can unblock CTV from anywhere, you should consider IPVanish. It has over 1,600 servers in 75 countries, including dedicated servers in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, so it can easily unblock CTV’s region restrictions.
On top of this, IPVanish is a safe option with plenty of excellent security features, and it can give you access to a range of geo-blocked streaming services.
Plans start at just $3.33 per month. And if you use one of our coupons, you can get 69% off a two-year IPVanish subscription!
- Strong collection of Canadian servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast speeds that work well for streaming
- Decent security
- Won’t work in China
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
How to watch CTV with a VPN on your device
You can watch CTV from anywhere in the world on your PC, Mac, iPhone, Android device, or even a smart TV by using a VPN. However, the process isn’t the same for every device. Here, we’ll provide you with easy step-by-step guides that explain how to do this.
Watch CTV on your computer or smartphone
You can watch CTV on pretty much any smartphone, tablet, or computer by downloading a VPN. Here’s how to do it:
- Switch your device’s App Store and locations to Canada.
- Download and install a VPN on your device. The best choice for this is NordVPN.
- If you have an Apple ID or Google account, create a new one and select Canada as your country.
- Head to the CTV website, or download the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Sign in or create an account and enjoy watching CTV!
If you need a more detailed guide to help you figure out how to use a VPN on your smartphone or computer, take a look at these articles:
- Best VPNs to use for Windows – access CTV from anywhere on your PC
- Top-rated Mac VPNs for watching CTV – check out our VPN recommendations for Macs
- Our favorite iOS VPNs – enjoy CTV on your iPhone from anywhere
- High-quality VPN apps for Android – unblock geo-restricted content on your phone
How to stream CTV on streaming devices
Unfortunately, the majority of streaming sticks, such as Roku, Kodi, and Apple TV, don’t support VPN apps. But all you have to do is connect a VPN to your Wi-Fi and you’ll be able to watch CTV on your streaming device! Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose a VPN with plenty of Canadian servers. NordVPN is the ideal solution for this.
- Download and install the software and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a Canadian server.
- Using the HDMI port, insert your streaming stick into your smart TV.
- Turn on your TV and select CTV on your streaming stick’s home screen.
- Sign in or create an account.
- Settle down on your sofa and enjoy watching all the shows and movies CTV has to offer.
Alternatively, if you have an Amazon Firestick, you can download a VPN app straight onto your streaming stick.
If you need more help, take a look at these in-depth guides:
- Best Kodi VPNs – watch CTV on your streaming stick
- VPNs best suited for Apple TVs – bypass CTV’s region restrictions
- Top VPNs for Roku – a simple way to watch CTV on your Roku stick
- VPNs with the best apps for Firestick – download a VPN straight onto your Firestick
Why is CTV not working with my VPN?
It can be very frustrating if you’ve followed all the steps and you’re still being blocked by a CTV error message. To help you out, we have some troubleshooting tips and tricks to help you bypass CTV’s region restrictions.
First things first, double-check if you’re connected to a server in Canada. If you’re sure that’s not the problem, it could be that your VPN simply isn’t working at the moment. To fix the problem, read our guide on how to use a VPN. Alternatively, try these quick solutions:
- Check you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN, as your actual IP address may be visible.
- Clear your cache and cookies, as they could be showing your real location.
- Connect to a different server, as the one you’re connected to may not be working.
- Try another browser in case that solves the issue.
- Get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team.
If you’ve done all this and it’s still not working, it might be that your VPN is no longer able to unblock CTV. So it could be time to think about upgrading to a more privacy-focused VPN.
How to watch CTV with a free VPN
If you’ve decided to use a free VPN to watch CTV from outside Canada, we’d strongly advise using a freemium, which is a free version of a paid-for solution that won’t cost you anything. Naturally, a freemium is much more restricted than a premium offering, but if you want to give one a go, ProtonVPN or Atlas VPN are good options, as they’re reasonably secure and don’t impose monthly data caps.
On the flip side, if you want to access CTV for a short period of time, such as keeping up-to-date with your favorite content while you’re traveling, or binge-watching a specific show, you could take advantage of a free trial of a paid VPN.
Our three favorite VPNs for CTV, including NordVPN, Surfshark, and IPVanish, offer 30-day money-back guarantees. This means you can sign up to any of them and use it to watch CTV for up to a month before you have to commit to a lengthy subscription plan.
After the free trial has expired, here’s how much a subscription will cost:
- NordVPN – with nearly 500 servers in Canada, NordVPN is the perfect choice for watching CTV from anywhere. Subscriptions start from just $3.09 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark – even after the free trial has expired, Surfshark is still fantastic value for money, with lightning-quick speeds and unlimited simultaneous connections included. Plans start from just $2.30 per month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee thrown in.
- IPVanish – with a stellar reputation and excellent security features, IPVanish can unblock a range of content, including CTV. Plans start from $3.33 a month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Keep in mind that completely free VPN providers are usually too good to be true, as they’re notorious for making money by selling customer data to third parties. In addition, the servers are usually pretty poor quality, so they’d be unlikely to be able to bypass location restrictions on CTV, or any other platform, for that matter.
What can you watch on CTV?
From some of the best US shows to exclusive Canadian content, CTV has a lot to offer. Here’s our pick of the best things on CTV that you really shouldn’t miss:
|Astrid and Lily Save the World (2021 – present)||Drama|
|The Amazing Race Canada (2013 – present)||Game show|
|Being Canadian (2015)||Documentary film|
|Canada’s Worst Driver (2005 –present)||Reality TV show|
|Daily Planet (1995 – present)||Science TV show|
|Doctor Who (2005 – present)||Science fiction|
|The Flight Attendant (2021)||Comedy drama|
|Jann (2021 – present)||TV drama|
|MasterChef Canada (2014 – present)||Reality TV show|
|Transplant (2020 – present)||Medical TV drama|
CTV is one of the most popular TV networks in Canada, with an impressive catalog of movies and TV shows. But it’s only available to watch in Canada. The good news is that you can still watch CTV if you’re in the USA, Australia, the UK, or anywhere else in the world. All you have to do is use a VPN to connect to a server in Canada and you’ll be able to unblock CTV. NordVPN is the best option for this.
Even better, a VPN will improve your online security by encrypting your data to keep it safe from hackers. It can also help you access region-restricted sites and services from around the world, and allow you to avoid IP throttling.
We hope this guide has told you everything you need to know about using a VPN to watch CTV from the US. If you have any additional questions, please let us know in the comments section below, and one of our experts will get back to you!
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Is it possible to watch CTV in the USA?
Yes, the good news is that you can watch CTV from anywhere in the world. All you need to do is download a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in Canada. Then, head to the CTV website or app and you’ll be able to watch all it has to offer, no matter where you are.
What’s the best way to watch Canadian TV in the US?
The best way to watch Canadian TV from anywhere is to use a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server in Canada. Once you’ve done this, head to the Canadian website or app you want to access and you’ll be able to unblock all the content you want to watch.
Is it legal to watch CTV in the USA with a VPN?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to watch CTV from the USA. However, it may go against CTV’s Terms of Service, although you’re very unlikely to be penalized for this.