How to install and use a VPN on Kodi
If you’re looking to build the ultimate all-in-one entertainment center, there’s no better option than Kodi. In fact, it’s practically heaven-sent for conveniently housing all sorts of content — including movies, music, and games — in one place.
Alas, many Kodi users run into all sorts of troubles like blocked apps and content, geo-restrictions, privacy issues, and more.
Your best bet to conquer these problems? You need to install a VPN on Kodi.
In this article, we have everything you need to know about how to set up a VPN on Kodi, as well as short guides on how to do so on most common devices.
Short guide on how to add VPN on Kodi
- Choose a VPN provider and download its app on the device you’ll be using to stream Kodi. We recommend NordVPN, currently 60% OFF!
- Open the application and fill in your login details.
- Click on the server you want and then connect it.
- Launch Kodi and you can now stream worry-free.
Why should you use VPN for Kodi?
There are plenty of reasons why you should use a VPN, especially for Kodi. Here are the main ones:
- Bypass geo-restriction – some content isn’t accessible in certain countries because of blackouts, copyright, or censorship policies. Meanwhile, certain streaming platforms — such as Netflix — have region-specific content. With a VPN on Kodi, you’ll not be limited by these restrictions and policies.
- Prevents tracking – many Internet service providers (ISPs) are known to track browsing activities and retain information. A VPN will help to mask your activities. Plus, it stops your ISP from potentially throttling your Internet connection.
- Safeguard against hacking – with a VPN, you’re less vulnerable online. Since your browsing activity, IP address, and online identity are encrypted, you’re far more protected against hacking, cyber attacks, and data theft.
How to install Kodi and VPN on different devices?
Installing Kodi and setting up a VPN isn’t exactly rocket science. There’s nothing all that challenging about it, and you should be able to get these tasks done in no time.
Below, I’ll share step-by-step guides on how to install Kodi and VPN on the most popular devices.
Kodi on computer (Windows and Mac)
Installing a Kodi with a VPN on your computer (Windows and Mac) is effortless. You just need to:
- Go to Kodi’s website and click download.
- Select your preferred platform.
- Download the installer.
- Run the app and follow the prompts.
- Download a quality VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Launch the VPN and select your preferred server.
For those of you with Windows, you can also download Kodi via the Windows Store. Plus, you have the option to install the 32-bit version or 64-bit version (an upgrade of the former rolled out in 2017.)
Kodi on phone (Android and iOS)
To install Kodi on Android devices, you just need to download the Kodi app from the app store. However, things are slightly more complicated if you have an iOS device like iPhone and iPad.
- You need a jailbroken iDevice running iOS 6.0 or higher.
- Install Kodi from Cydia, iFile, or Filza.
- Follow the instructions.
- Download a VPN - we recommend NordVPN.
- Select a suitable server and voilà!
If you have non-jailbroken devices, the setup is slightly more complex and you’ll need iOS App Signer, Mac OS x 10.9 or higher, and Xcode. You can find the detailed instructions here.
Kodi on Roku
Unfortunately, Roku doesn’t support Kodi, but you can still use Kodi with Roku through screen mirroring. However, only Windows and Android devices allow for screen mirroring.
- Update Roku to at least version 5.6.
- Enable Screen mirroring in settings.
If you’re using Windows devices, you’ll need to:
- Go to Settings and select Devices.
- Choose Add Bluetooth or Other Devices, then select Wireless Display.
- Connect your Roku device once it pops up.
As for Android, go to Settings > Connections > Screen mirroring > Add the Device. Then pair Roku with the device.
Finally, install a VPN on your router - we recommend NordVPN — as Roku devices don’t support the software — and select an appropriate server.
Kodi on Smart TV (LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.)
The majority of Smart TVs use the proprietary OS, which is usually incompatible with Kodi. However, if your Smart TV has a Google Play Store, you can install Kodi from it.
Here is how
- Install Kodi from Google Play Store.
- Find Kodi in your apps menu.
- Launch Kodi.
- Install a VPN on your device or router depending on whether your Smart TV supports a VPN. We recommend NordVPN. Select a server in the right region and enjoy!
If your Smart TV is without Google Play Store, you aren’t without hope. Instead, use Roku or Firestick to access Kodi on your Smart TV.
Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick
To pair Kodi with your Amazon Firestick, you need to:
- Go to Settings > Device > Developer options.
- Enable ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Download the free Downloader app from Amazon Appstore and launch it.
- Inside Downloader, type in http://kodi.tv/download/.
- Select the Android App and install the desired version.
- Once done, download and a VPN - we recommend installing NordVPN.
- Choose a server and you’re all set.
Kodi on Apple TV
Alas, you can’t find Kodi in the Apple TV App Store, but that doesn’t mean that you have to give up on it. Instead, you can install it with the help of Cydia Impactor if you have Apple TV.
- Connect your Apple TV to your computer with the USB C cable.
- Download Kodi and Cydia Impactor on your computer. The latter will help to bypass Apple’s restrictions that prevent devices from communicating with each other.
- Open Cydia Impactor and ensure that it can detect your Apple TV.
- Open the Kodi.zip file with the Cydia Impactor.
- Follow the prompts, and you should see a Kodi app on your Apple TV.
Of course, the process isn’t complete without a VPN. So, install a VPN - we recommend NordVPN. After installing, select an appropriate server to fully maximize your experience.
If you have an Apple TV 4K, you’ll need to use Xcode instead.
Kodi on consoles (Xbox and Playstation)
If you’re using a gaming console like Xbox, you can still set up Kodi on it. Here is how:
- Search for the Kodi app from the Xbox store.
- You’ll then be directed to the Microsoft store.
- Download the Kodi app and launch it.
- To fully utilize Kodi, you’ll need to install a VPN on your router, our pick - NordVPN.
Don’t be alarmed if you find your Kodi app on Xbox empty. This is common for first-time installations, and you’ll need to install add-ons to properly enjoy it.
However, if you have a Playstation, you’ll need Plex to use Kodi. Here’s how you do it:
- Search for the Plex app on your Playstation. Then, download and install the app on your console.
- Open the app by selecting Video and TV Shows and create an account. Follow the link and instructions to set up the account.
- Download Plex on your smartphone and login with the same account details. You’ll need to enter a code, which is displayed on your smartphone, when prompted by your Playstation.
- Go to System > Setting and enable Show Camera Roll, Advertise as Server, and Network Discovery.
- Once done, you can stream Kodi from your mobile device to your Playstation-connected TV.
How to choose a VPN for Kodi?
Not all VPNs are the same or even useful. That’s why we’ve listed all the main VPN features that you should keep a look out for if you want to use it with Kodi.
Here are some features to keep in mind:
Content is the backbone of Kodi. Alas, many add-ons like BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and Hulu have geo-restrictions in place. This is where certain content is blocked or unavailable in specific regions. To bypass these restrictions, you’ll need a VPN to mask your location.
In any case, if a VPN provider has extensive server locations worldwide, that’d be extremely helpful. This is because you can easily opt for a server in a region without any restrictions whenever necessary.
Nobody likes latency and constant buffering when it comes to streaming. So, speed is a priority to ensure an enjoyable streaming experience.
- Supported devices
If you tend to consume your content on the go, make sure that the VPN supports your mobile phone, tablet, or gaming console. It’s also a good idea to opt for a VPN that allows logins on multiple devices simultaneously.
Be sure to take a closer look at the VPN provider’s encryption protocol, no-logging policy, and anonymity policy for safe browsing.
VPNs that work with Kodi
There are plenty of good VPN providers out there. This is great in that there are extensive options, and the market remains competitive. However, it also makes it much harder to filter good providers for a safe and enjoyable experience.
That’s why we’ve shortlisted the top VPNs for Kodi to make things that much easier for you.
- NordVPN - best VPN for Kodi in 2022
- Surfshark - security, speed, and unlimited devices
- IPVanish - lost of servers in different locations
If you can fully maximize the potential of Kodi, it’s a powerhouse of a system that stores everything from music, movies, and TV shows to photos and games in one interface.
However, as powerful as Kodi is, it could be improved by installing a VPN. For starters, using a VPN, your data is encrypted. Hence, your online activities and personal information remain private and safe from hacking.
Plus, your ISP providers have no way to track your browsing activities since they are also encrypted.
Beyond that, a VPN helps you get your money’s worth on Kodi by bypassing various geo-blocking.
All things considered, a VPN on Kodi allows you to freely enjoy the wealth of content available — unbridled by geo-restrictions as well as security and tracking concerns.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to connect a VPN on Kodi?
To connect a VPN on Kodi, download a VPN from a reputable provider like NordVPN. Then, follow the setup instructions, connect to a server, and you’re done.
Is it legal to use a VPN on Kodi?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN on Kodi. However, to ensure that everything is by the book, it is safer to go with a trusted VPN provider.
Do I need a VPN for using Kodi?
Yes, you need a VPN for using Kodi. A VPN will help to safeguard your data and prevent ISPs from tracking your browsing activities. Plus, it also helps to bypass geo-restrictions.
Is it safe to use a VPN on Kodi?
Yes, it is safe to use a VPN on Kodi — provided that you go with a trusted provider such as NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN.