Best VPN for Kodi in 2024: How to install a VPN on Kodi
If you’re looking to build the ultimate all-in-one entertainment center, there’s no better option than Kodi. In fact, it’s practically heaven-sent for conveniently storing all sorts of content — including movies, music, and games — in one place.
Alas, many Kodi users run into all sorts of troubles like blocked apps and content, geo-restrictions, privacy issues, and more.
Your best bet to conquer these problems? You need to install a VPN on Kodi.In this article, we have everything you need to know about how to set up a VPN on Kodi, as well as short guides on how to do so on most common devices.
Top 5 best VPNs for Kodi
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Kodi in 2024 with great streaming capabilities
- Surfshark – speedy VPN for the best Kodi streaming experience
- Atlas VPN – cheap VPN for Kodi with a free version
- ExpressVPN – private VPN for streaming purposes
- CyberGhost – Kodi VPN with a massive server network
Why should you use VPN for Kodi?
There are plenty of reasons why you should use a VPN, especially for Kodi. Here are the main ones:
- Access region-blocked content. Some content isn’t accessible in certain countries because of blackouts, copyright, or censorship policies. Meanwhile, certain streaming platforms — such as Netflix — have region-specific content. With a VPN on Kodi, you’ll not be limited by these restrictions and policies.
- Get geo-restricted add-ons. Depending on where you live, you might be unable to download some of Kodi's add-ons just because they've been made unavailable in your location. Changing your IP address with a VPN will help you access any geo-restricted add-on on Kodi, letting you enjoy unlimited Kodi entertainment like restricted NFL games.
- Prevents tracking. many Internet service providers (ISPs) are known to track browsing activities and retain information. A VPN will help to mask your activities. Plus, it stops your ISP from potentially throttling your Internet connection.
- Avoid blackouts. Some broadcasters, especially those of sports events, tend to block access to live games in order to lure more people into the stadium. This includes the NFL, NHL, and others. A VPN lets you watch events from the comfort of your own sofa.
- Safeguard against hacking. With a VPN, you’re less vulnerable online. Since your browsing activity, IP address, and online identity are encrypted, you’re far more protected against hacking, cyber attacks, and data theft.
How to install VPN on Kodi
The best VPNs for Kodi in 2024 – our detailed list
In order to help you find the optimal VPN solution for Kodi, we’ve tested at least a dozen of different services. Our chosen VPNs offer impressive server fleets, excellent speeds, and affordable prices. You’ll find a full list of the best VPNs for Kodi below.
1. NordVPN – overall best Kodi VPN in 2024
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|6100+ servers in 61 countries
|Get NordVPN, now up to 67% OFF + gift!
NordVPN is the best VPN for Kodi according to our tests. It’s excellent for bypassing geo-blocks on various streaming sites and add-ons. Plus, it does all that while maintaining an exceptional average speed retention rate of 90%, making it an ideal choice for Kodi.
Streaming. When tested on Kodi, we found that NordVPN unblocks loads of services. To be exact, it managed to access 16 Netflix libraries, Hulu, BBC iPLayer, Max, and others. Plus, you’ll find that this VPN comes with the Smart DNS feature which allows you to stream on devices that do not natively support VPN connections.
Speed. When tested on multiple locations, we counted that the average speed retention rate of NordVPN was 90% compared to initial connection speeds. So using NordVPN for Kodi won’t compromise your performance or leave you behind a buffering screen.
Servers and apps. This VPN has over 5900 servers in 60 countries that you can use to bypass geo-blocks. In terms of compatibility, you’ll find that NordVPN is great for all Amazon Fire devices, and also has an app for Android TV.
Pricing. NordVPN prices start at $2.99/month. There's also a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as a 7-day free trial.
For more information, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – low-cost Kodi VPN for unlimited devices
|Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Get 79% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE
Surfshark is a budget-friendly option for Kodi. For $1.99/month, you get a VPN that can bypass restrictions on dozens of streaming services and offers unlimited device connections.
Streaming. We tested Surfshark with loads of streaming platforms. The results showed that this VPN won’t have trouble accessing Netflix libraries, Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, or any Kodi add-ons. Plus, you’ll get the Smart DNS feature and will even be able to stream your favorite content on devices that don’t support VPNs.
Speed. Surfshark uses the fast WireGuard protocol. Our performance tests showed that it retains 86% of initial internet connection speeds on average. This guarantees lag-free Kodi content watching at all times.
Servers and apps. With servers in 100 countries, you’ll find plenty of options to access Kodi content. You’ll also get apps for Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick. If you install Surfshark on a router or use Smart DNS, the range extends even more, letting you use the service on such devices as Apple TV or Raspberry Pi.
Pricing. The prices start at $1.99/month, but you can use the 7-day free trial as well. You also get a 30-day money-back guarantee that should be more than enough to try things out.
3. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN for Kodi
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube
|1000+ servers in 42 countries
|Get Atlas VPN, now 86% OFF + 6 months FREE!
Atlas VPN is a cheap yet high-quality solution for Kodi. It comes with unlimited simultaneous connections, unblocks quite a few streaming sites, and even has a limited free version to test the service out.
Streaming. When put to a test, Atlas VPN managed to unblock YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, and Max. What’s more, we found that it unblocks 11 Netflix libraries. That’s not as much as NordVPN, but still a lot. Plus, unlike NordVPN or Surfshark, it doesn’t offer the Smart DNS feature either.
Speed. Atlas VPN uses the WireGuard protocol, which explains its great speed results. On average, we found that it managed to retain around 80% of initial connection speeds. When streaming, we experienced no lagging whatsoever.
Servers and apps. Besides the major operating systems (OS), Atlas VPN also has apps for Android TV and Fire TV Stick. Not to mention that it offers over 1000 servers in 42 countries as well.
Pricing. The pricing of Atlas VPN starts from $1.64/month. It also has a completely free version and a 30-day money-back guarantee available.
Read more about this provider in our detailed Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – privacy-guaranteeing VPN for streaming on Kodi
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|3000+ servers in 105 countries
|Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE!
ExpressVPN is a strong pick for Kodi due to its high security and streaming capability focus. It can unblock loads of streaming platforms, provides you with trustworthy privacy, and doesn’t compromise on security.
Streaming. We examined ExpressVPN with loads of streaming services. Speaking of the most popular platforms, this VPN managed to unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Max, Disney+, Hulu, and more. You’ll even be able to use this VPN on devices that don’t support VPNs as it comes with the MediaStreamer, or Smart DNS, feature.
Speed. Our research team performed performance tests with ExpressVPN in multiple server locations. Using the Lightway protocol, the modern variation of WireGuard, this VPN retained an average of 77% initial connection speeds. We didn’t experience buffering, but if you feel like you need a faster VPN, take a look at NordVPN.
Servers and apps. ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Fire TV Stick. If it’s not supported on your device, like Apple TV, you can install it on your router instead. It’s also worth noting that you get over 3000 servers in 105 countries with this product.
Pricing. You can get ExpressVPN starting from $6.67/month. It’s quite expensive compared to competitors, so if you need a cheaper alternative, take a look at Surfshark. You can test it out with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. CyberGhost – VPN for Kodi with a huge server network
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+
|11500+ servers in 100 countries
|Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% + 2 months FREE!
If a massive server fleet on top of a security-ensuring service is what you need, CyberGhost is the Kodi VPN for you. With servers in 100 countries, you’ll be secured from third-party trackers as well as watch any content without issues.
Streaming. Once we tested CyberGhost with streaming platforms, we concluded that it can access a wide range of platforms. From Netflix libraries and Hulu to BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video – we managed to unblock it all. However, unlike NordVPN or Surfshark, CyberGhost does lack the Smart DNS feature, meaning you won’t be able to stream geo-blocked content on unsupported devices.
Speed. Our examination of CyberGhost together with its WireGuard protocol showed positive results. The VPN retained 86% of initial connection speeds, ensuring a smooth streaming experience on Kodi.
Servers and apps. Aside from the popular OS, CyberGhost offers an app for Android TV and Fire Stick. If anything, you can install the VPN on a router to set it up on Apple TV or other incompatible devices. As for servers, there will always be enough for bypassing restrictions – there are over 10200 servers in 100 countries.
Pricing. The prices of this VPN start from $2.03/month. There’s also a generous 45-day money-back guarantee on top of free trials (1 day on desktop, 3 days on Android, and 7 days on iOS).
Learn more in our CyberGhost review.
How we tested the best Kodi VPNs
We reviewed and tested dozens of different VPNs to see which ones are best for Kodi in terms of geo-restriction bypassing, speeds, and more. Here are the factors we took into consideration:
- Geo-restriction bypassing capabilities. First, we tested how well the VPNs unblock geo-restricted content on Kodi. This includes add-ons, websites, and, most importantly, such streaming services as Hulu and Netflix.
- Speeds. We performed fresh performance tests with all reviewed VPNs. We looked for high-speed retention rates so that you’d experience no buffering on Kodi.
- Compatibility. During our testing, we made sure that the VPNs were compatible with various streaming devices, such as Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, which are popular with Kodi users. We also looked for OpenELEC, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield support, and more.
- Security and privacy. We looked for VPNs that use military-grade encryption and also additionally process authentication to ensure the utmost security of your traffic. We also checked if the VPNs have had their no-logs policies and security measures independently audited and approved.
How to install Kodi and VPN on different devices?
Installing Kodi and setting up a VPN isn’t exactly rocket science. There’s nothing all that challenging about it, and you should be able to get these tasks done in no time.
Below, I’ll share step-by-step guides on how to install Kodi and VPN on the most popular devices.
Kodi on a computer (Windows and Mac)
Installing a Kodi with a VPN on your computer (Windows and Mac) is effortless. You just need to:
- Go to Kodi’s website and click download.
- Select your preferred platform.
- Download the installer.
- Run the app and follow the prompts.
- Download a quality VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Launch the VPN and select your preferred server.
For those of you with Windows, you can also download Kodi via the Windows Store. Plus, you have the option to install the 32-bit version or 64-bit version (an upgrade of the former rolled out in 2017.)
Kodi on phone (Android and iOS)
To install Kodi on Android devices, you just need to download the Kodi app from the app store. However, things are slightly more complicated if you have an iOS device like iPhone or iPad.
- You need a jailbroken iDevice running iOS 6.0 or higher.
- Install Kodi from Cydia, iFile, or Filza.
- Follow the instructions.
- Download a VPN - we recommend NordVPN.
- Select a suitable server and voilà!
If you have non-jailbroken devices, the setup is slightly more complex and you’ll need iOS App Signer, Mac OS x 10.9 or higher, and Xcode. You can find the detailed instructions here.
Kodi on Roku
Unfortunately, Roku doesn’t support Kodi, but you can still use Kodi with Roku through screen mirroring. However, only Windows and Android devices allow for screen mirroring.
- Update Roku to at least version 5.6.
- Enable Screen mirroring in settings.
If you’re using Windows devices, you’ll need to:
- Go to Settings and select Devices.
- Choose Add Bluetooth or Other Devices, then select Wireless Display.
- Connect your Roku device once it pops up.
As for Android, go to Settings > Connections > Screen mirroring > Add the Device. Then pair Roku with the device.
Finally, install a VPN on your router - we recommend NordVPN — as Roku devices don’t support the software — and select an appropriate server.
Kodi on Smart TV (LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.)
The majority of Smart TVs use the proprietary OS, which is usually incompatible with Kodi. However, if your Smart TV has a Google Play Store, you can install Kodi from it.
Here is how:
- Install Kodi from the Google Play Store.
- Find Kodi in your apps menu.
- Launch Kodi.
- Install a VPN on your device or router depending on whether your Smart TV supports a VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Select a server in the right region and enjoy!
If your Smart TV is without the Google Play Store, you aren’t without hope. Instead, use Roku or Firestick to access Kodi on your Smart TV.
Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick
To pair Kodi with your Amazon Firestick, you need to:
- Go to Settings > Device > Developer options.
- Enable ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Download the free Downloader app from Amazon Appstore and launch it.
- Inside Downloader, type in http://kodi.tv/download/.
- Select the Android App and install the desired version.
- Once done, download a VPN - we recommend installing NordVPN.
- Choose a server and you’re all set.
Kodi on Apple TV
Alas, you can’t find Kodi in the Apple TV App Store, but that doesn’t mean that you have to give up on it. Instead, you can install it with the help of Cydia Impactor if you have an Apple TV.
- Connect your Apple TV to your computer with the USB-C cable.
- Download Kodi and Cydia Impactor on your computer. The latter will help to bypass Apple’s restrictions that prevent devices from communicating with each other.
- Open Cydia Impactor and ensure that it can detect your Apple TV.
- Open the Kodi.zip file with the Cydia Impactor.
- Follow the prompts, and you should see a Kodi app on your Apple TV.
Of course, the process isn’t complete without a VPN. So, install a VPN - we recommend NordVPN. After installing, select an appropriate server to fully maximize your experience.
If you have an Apple TV 4K, you’ll need to use Xcode instead.
Kodi on consoles (Xbox and PlayStation)
If you’re using a gaming console like Xbox, you can still set up Kodi on it. Here is how:
- Search for the Kodi app from the Xbox store.
- You’ll then be directed to the Microsoft store.
- Download the Kodi app and launch it.
- To fully utilize Kodi, you’ll need to install a VPN on your router, our pick - NordVPN.
Don’t be alarmed if you find your Kodi app on Xbox empty. This is common for first-time installations, and you’ll need to install add-ons to properly enjoy it.
However, if you have a PlayStation, you’ll need Plex to use Kodi. Here’s how you do it:
- Search for the Plex app on your PlayStation. Then, download and install the app on your console.
- Open the app by selecting Video and TV Shows and create an account. Follow the link and instructions to set up the account.
- Download Plex on your smartphone and log in with the same account details. You’ll need to enter a code, which is displayed on your smartphone when prompted by your PlayStation.
- Go to System > Settings and enable Show Camera Roll, Advertise as Server, and Network Discovery.
- Once done, you can stream Kodi from your mobile device to your PlayStation-connected TV.
Using a VPN on Kodi boxes
Kodi can be used on Android TV boxes which are also called Kodi boxes. These are beneficial when you want to play content that is locally stored or stream broadcasts that are live. A VPN only enhances your Kodi box streaming experience, allowing you to access geo-blocked add-ons and content as well as protect you from add-on trackers.
Some of the popular Kodi boxes include Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Raspberry Pi 3, Nvidia Shield, and others. If a VPN has a native app on the Kodi box, the setup will be very simple. For example, you can install NordVPN on Amazon Fire TV devices by searching for it in the App section of Kodi.
However, if your service doesn’t have apps for a specific Android TV box, you can simply set the VPN up on a router. This way, your whole network will be connected and be able to bypass geo-restrictions.
How to choose a VPN for Kodi?
Not all VPNs are the same or even useful. That’s why we’ve listed all the main VPN features that you should keep a look out for if you want to use it with Kodi.
Here are some features to keep in mind:
Content is the backbone of Kodi. Alas, many add-ons like BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and Hulu have geo-restrictions in place. This is where certain content is blocked or unavailable in specific regions. To bypass these restrictions, you’ll need a VPN to mask your location.
In any case, if a VPN provider has extensive server locations worldwide, that would be extremely helpful. This is because you can easily opt for a server in a region without any restrictions whenever necessary.
Nobody likes latency and constant buffering when it comes to streaming. So, speed is a priority to ensure an enjoyable streaming experience.
If you tend to consume your content on the go, make sure that the VPN supports your mobile phone, tablet, or gaming console. It’s also a good idea to opt for a VPN that allows logins on multiple devices simultaneously.
Be sure to take a closer look at the VPN provider’s encryption protocol, no-logging policy, and anonymity policy for safe browsing.
Kodi VPNs that didn't make our cut
While we provided only the very top VPNs for Kodi, there are some other solutions that didn’t make the cut but are still suitable for Kodi.
For example, Norton Secure VPN retains an average of 74% initial connection speeds and unblocks BBC iPlayer as well as Max. However, it couldn’t unblock Netflix or other streaming services, making it a very limited streaming VPN. But if you want to be secure while streaming, Norton VPN can still be great for Kodi.
Another VPN that didn’t make the list is Ivacy VPN. It has affordable options starting from $1/month and is reliable when bypassing geo-restrictions on Netflix, YouTube TV, and BBC iPlayer. That being said, it’s a relatively slow service, retaining an average of 30-50% initial connection speeds.
PrivateVPN is also a low-cost VPN service for streaming on Kodi. Its prices start from $2/month, and you get to enjoy complete security in cyberspace. It didn’t make the list due to a small server network as well as WireGuard protocol absence, but it doesn’t disappoint when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted content on Netflix (US library), BBC iPlayer, and YouTube.
Can I use a free VPN with Kodi?
Yes, you can try using a free VPN with Kodi, but it’s not suitable for Kodi. Completely free VPNs often can’t unblock geo-restricted content such as Kodi add-ons or streaming platforms. Besides, they tend to lack certain features and usually have very poor speeds due to overcrowding that are only suitable for some light browsing. What’s more, unreliable free VPNs also tend to collect and sell user data.
However, if you really want to try using a free solution, we suggest looking into freemium VPNs or making use of free trials and money-back guarantees from paid providers.
For example, Proton VPN has a free version with unlimited bandwidth. But don’t expect exceptional speeds, a vast server choice, or successful geo-restriction bypassing.
Your best bet is opting for VPNs with free trials or money-back guarantees. This way, you’ll use it free without instant long-term commitments.
If you can fully maximize the potential of Kodi, it’s a powerhouse of a system that stores everything from music, movies, and TV shows to photos and games in one interface. However, as powerful as Kodi is, it could be improved by installing a VPN.
For one, a VPN will help you protect yourself in case you accidentally download illegal content, and another is to get access to geo-blocked content and add-ons. The best part about it all is that installing a VPN on Kodi is extremely easy – and possible to do with several different devices, including smartphones, computers, smart TVs, and streaming boxes.
All you need is the best Kodi VPN service – like our favorite NordVPN. It has proved to be excellent at unblocking all kinds of blocked content, including streaming platforms and Kodi add-ons. Besides, NordVPN also uses market-leading encryption to protect your traffic and offers over 5700 servers all over the world.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
What is the best VPN for Kodi?
At the moment of writing this article, NordVPN is the best VPN for Kodi in 2024. It ticks all the boxes and virtually has no flaws. Check it out if you haven't done so yet.
What's the difference between the Kodi boxes?
First of all, Kodi boxes are Android or Linux-based streaming devices with a pre-installed media player. But beware – some boxes might include illegal add-ons as well. In this case, you should either delete the shady add-ons or get a VPN to protect yourself from possible legal repercussions.
How to connect a VPN on Kodi?
To connect a VPN on Kodi, download a VPN from a reputable provider like NordVPN. Then, follow the setup instructions, connect to a server, and you’re done.
Is it legal to use a VPN on Kodi?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN on Kodi. However, to ensure that everything is by the book, it is safer to go with a trusted VPN provider.
Do I need a VPN for using Kodi?
Yes, you need a VPN for using Kodi. A VPN will help to safeguard your data and prevent ISPs from tracking your browsing activities. Plus, it also helps to bypass geo-restrictions.
Is it safe to use a VPN on Kodi?
Yes, it is safe to use a VPN on Kodi — provided that you go with a trusted provider such as NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN.
What are the best Kodi add-ons for sports streaming?
The best Kodi add-ons for sports streaming are Sport HD, The Crew, The Loop, Mad Titan Sports, and Daddy Live. These add-ons are currently best maintained, ensuring a smooth sports streaming experience.
Does Kodi work better with a VPN?
Kodi works better with a VPN in the sense that it can help bypass sports event blackouts as well as geo-restrictions on streaming service content. Plus, you get completely private internet access as it hides your traffic and IP address, ensuring no one looks at your online activities.