How to remove YTMP3.cc virus
Downloading a song that’s been only released on YouTube using a Youtube-to-mp3 converter website, although pretty common, bears certain malware-related risks.
YTMP3.cc is a website that allows you to download audio and video files. But it also contains malicious ads and redirects that can lead to malware installation onto your device. And that, in turn, can seriously harm your computer and compromise any files you have on there.
But there are ways to deal with these risks. In this article, I’ll explain how to get rid of the YTMP3 virus and how to protect your device from any potentially unwanted applications.
How to remove the YTMP3.cc virus from your device
The easiest way remove the YTMP3.cc from your device is to use a reliable antivirus software:
- Download and install a reliable antivirus software. We recommend TotalAV.
- Run a full scan. This will ensure that every folder and file on your device is checked and that all possible malware and threats have been found.
- Remove any malware and suspicious content. Follow the recommendations and instructions of the antivirus software and get rid of any suspicious files or programs.
- Check your browser. The YTMP3.cc virus can hijack your browser, so be sure to check and reset your browser settings if needed.
- Schedule regular scans with TotalAV to keep your device safe at all times in the future.
What is the YTMP3.cc virus?
The YTMP3.cc is not exactly a virus by itself. In fact, it is a website that allows you to convert and download video or audio files using a specific YouTube link.
It is important to note that, according to heuristic scans, the website itself doesn’t have any malicious code. On the other hand, it has been noticed that the server on which the website is hosted contains malware.
This, in turn, leads to the website also serving an abundance of pop-up ads, push notifications, and redirects to other websites. And these often contain malware or Potentially Unwanted Apps (PUA).
YTMP3.cc pop-up ads and the dangers behind them
While they may be extremely annoying, pop-up ads are not always seen as something malicious. However, the links that they contain may lead to downloading and installing various types of malware onto your computer.
Malware, when installed, can do all kinds of damage to your device and the files that are on it. Adware, the least malicious of them all, will just display ads anywhere and everywhere. But these ads can lead to the installment of other malicious software.
For example, ransomware will encrypt your files and demand payment to have them decrypted, while spyware will spy on you using your device. Your computer can also get enlisted into a botnet and be used for DDoS attacks.
That’s why it is extremely important to remove the YTMP3.cc virus from your device and use antivirus browser extensions to block any malicious ads.
How to remove the YTMP3.cc virus from your computer
If your device got infected with adware or any other viruses from YTMP3.cc, follow these simple guides on how to remove malicious software and potentially unwanted applications from your Windows and Mac computers, and how to reset your browser.
Remove YTMP3.cc from Windows
You can remove YTMP3.cc from Windows using an antivirus software:
- Choose an antivirus software. We recommend TotalAV
- Install the antivirus and open the app
- Run a full PC scan
- Follow the recommendations from your antivirus to remove the YTMP3.cc virus from your device
- That's it! Schedule regular scans with TotalAV to keep your device safe at all times
Or you can remove malicious programs manually:
- Open your Settings by going to the “Start” button in the lower-left corner of your desktop and type in “Settings”. Click on the icon.
- Select “Apps” in the settings menu.
- Find the malicious program
- Select the program and click uninstall.
Remove YTMP3.cc from Mac
You can remove YTMP3.cc virus from your Mac by using an antivirus software:
- Choose an antivirus software. We think TotalAV is the best.
- Install the antivirus.
- Run a full PC scan.
- Follow the recommendations from your antivirus.
Or you can remove YTMP3.cc virus from your Mac manually:
- Open Finder.
- Click "Applications" on the left.
- Find the adware program, and drag it into the trash bin.
- Enter your password to uninstall the program.
Reset browser settings
As the virus could have also infected and changed your browser settings, it’s a good idea to either reinstall it or reset it. Keep on reading to find out how to remove the YTMP3.cc adware from your browser.
How to remove YTMP3.cc adware from your browser
If your device got infected with adware, chances are that your browser is compromised as well. It is in your best interest to reset your browser to the default settings.
Here are simple guidelines on how to remove adware from your browser:
Remove YTMP3.cc from Google Chrome
Here’s how to reset browser settings in Google Chrome and remove YTMP3.cc:
- Click on the three dots (“⋮”) at the top right corner of the Chrome window
- Click “Settings”
- Click “Advanced ” in the bottom left of the window.
- Click ”Reset and clean up”
- Click “Restore settings to their original defaults”
- Click “Reset settings”
Remove YTMP3.cc from Firefox
Here’s how to reset browser settings in Firefox and remove YTMP3.cc:
- Click the icon with the three lines (“≡”) on the top right of the Firefox window
- Click on “Settings”
- Click on “Home”
- Click on “Restore defaults”. If there is no such button, it means that it is already using default settings.
Remove YTMP3.cc from Microsoft Edge
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click on “Settings”
- Go to “Reset settings”
- Choose “Restore settings to their default values”.
- Click “Reset” in the pop-up message.
Remove YTMP3.cc from Safari
- Press command + space to open the spotlight and type in “terminal”. Click enter.
- In the open Terminal, type in the commands below one by one. Execute each command by pressing enter after copying into the terminal:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/Apple\ -\ Safari\ -\ Safari\ Extensions\ Gallery; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebFoundation.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/PubSub/Database; rm -Rf ~/Library/Safari/*; rm -Rf ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState;
Disable YTMP3.cc browser notifications on Android
If your device that got infected with the YTMP3.cc virus is an Android, a good course of action is to disable browser notifications. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Chrome app
- Tap on the three dots at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on settings
- Scroll down to notifications
- Scroll down to the Sites section.
- Disable All site notifications, or find the entry for YTMP3.cc and disable notifications for this site only.
You can also check out our article on how to remove pop-up ads on Android.
How to avoid the installation of potentially unwanted applications?
The easiest way to guard your computer against YTMP3.cc virus is to use antivirus software. TotalAV antivirus can provide good protection against most malicious programs.Get TotalAV antivirus
Now that you’ve gotten rid of anything malicious on your computer, it would be a good final step to protect yourself and your device. Here are the steps you can take to avoid installation of potentially unwanted applications:
- Use an antivirus, both for your device and for your browser.
- Always check the validity of any apps you download. During the installation process, take a look if it installs any other software, and if that software is required so the app can run. If it’s not, don’t install the app.
- Only download and install apps from official sources.
While using the YTMP3 converter to download audio and video files from YouTube may not sound like a threatening activity, it is clear by now that that is certainly not the case.
The YTMP3.cc website is overflowing with push notifications and pop-up ads that contain malicious links and constantly redirect to websites that could lead to malware infections on your device.
But it doesn’t mean that the end is nigh. You can easily get rid of malware infections with the help of an antivirus and resetting your browser settings. And in the future, there are steps you can take to avoid similar situations - such as using antivirus browser extensions and only downloading apps from official sources.
More malware removal guides from Cybernews:
Is YTMP3.cc safe?
No, YTMP3.cc is not safe to use. The website and server are full of pop-up ads, push notifications, and redirects which contain malware and can lead to malicious and potentially unwanted applications installed on your device. If that happens, you can install a trusty antivirus, such as TotalAV, to fix the problem.
Are YouTube to MP3 sites legal?
YouTube to MP3 sites are legal as long as you’re not downloading and distributing copyrighted content, or using it for commercial purposes. While it may still violate Youtube’s Terms of Service, downloading non-copyrighted content for personal use is not inherently illegal.