How to block Twitter ads in 2023
Twitter (X) has ads that help businesses reach new customers and promote their products or services. With different types of Twitter ads, such as Promoted Tweets, Promoted Accounts, Twitter Amplify, Twitter Takeover, and Branded Hashtags, businesses can use various campaigns that will boost their growth.
Unfortunately, Twitter ads often annoy people and interfere with their experience, as sometimes they can be quite overwhelming and intrusive. In other words, by being bombarded with ads, Twitter users can’t focus on the content they’re looking for.
So, if you want to learn how to block Twitter ads, read our thorough guide and find a method that works best for you.
How to block Twitter ads with an ad blocker
- Find a reliable ad blocker and choose a subscription. Our top choice is Total Adblock, now 80% OFF
- Download and install the ad blocker on your device
- Enable the adblocker on the device you’re using
- That’s it! You will now enjoy Twitter (X) with a reduced amount of ads
Why you might want to block Twitter ads
Twitter ads have a favorable purpose – to help businesses reach a broader audience and to promote their products and services. However, they can be annoying and interfere with your experience. So, if you’re scrolling Twitter and come across something like suggested creators, or a tweet from someone you’re not following, you have encountered an ad.
Besides being annoying, Twitter ads can even endanger your online security. So, let’s get into more details and see why you might want to remove Twitter ads:
- They are intrusive. Twitter ads appear similarly to Twitter posts. On top of this, they have become so common that you can notice an ad as every second “post” while scrolling on social media.
- May pose cyber threats. Some Twitter ads may potentially lead to unreputable sources or include a malicious link. So, by opening such an ad, you could potentially let the malware into your device, thus compromising your online security and confidential data.
- Include sensitive content. As anyone can create a Twitter ad, it’s not surprising that some of them may lead to sensitive content for some users. Also, they may redirect you to unreliable facts and statements.
How to block Twitter ads with an ad blocker: detailed guide
If you want to save yourself from the frustration that overwhelming ads cause, check out our step-by-step guides below. We put together a few detailed guides that will make it easier for you to block Twitter ads. It might not entirely remove them all, but it will significantly reduce them.
Block Twitter ads with an ad blocker’s browser extension
Below is a detailed guide on how to remove Twitter (X) ads with an ad blocker’s browser extension. Please keep in mind, that this only works when you use Twitter (X) on a browser.
- Choose a reliable ad blocker, we recommend Total Adblock, now 80% OFF
- On the Total Adblock website, you’ll find the button to add Total Adblock to your current browser, for example, Google Chrome. Click on it.
- You will be taken to the web page of the browser extension. Add it to your browser by clicking on Add to Chrome (if this is the browser you’re using). Similar buttons will appear on the extensions of other kinds of browsers
- Go to your browser extensions in the browser’s settings and enable the ad blocker by toggling it on
- The extension will appear in the upper right corner of your browser. In Chrome, it will be accessible through the Extensions icon
- Click on the Total Adblock and log in
- It should now start blocking ads on Twitter
Block Twitter ads on mobile devices
If you’re using Twitter (X) on your smartphone, the ways of blocking ads differ depending on the OS. Below you’ll see guides on how to block Twitter ads on iOS and Android devices.
Block Twitter ads on iOS
- Choose a reliable ad blocker and purchase a subscription. We recommend Total Adblock
- Download the app from the App Store
- Go to your phone’s settings
- Then, navigate to Safari and open the Content Blockers or Extensions (depending on the phone’s model)
- Switch on all Total Adblock Content blockers
Block Twitter ads on Android
Compared to the iOS guide, the Android one is a bit more complex. However, this doesn’t make it too difficult, you just need to carefully follow a few more steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose a reliable ad blocker and subscribe to its services. We recommend Total Adblock. As Total Adblock doesn’t have an app on Google Play, you’ll need to download it from its website
- It will automatically download the .apk file. You might need to confirm the download by clicking OK or Download. Afterward, open the file
- You may see a warning on your device’s screen, such as: ‘For your security, your phone is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source’
- Click the Settings option on the pop-up and toggle on Allow from this source
- If needed, confirm again by checking the agreement to the security risks by clicking OK
- On the pop-up, click Install
- Open the Total Adblock application and log in
- Click on the Power button to turn on Ad blocking
- Click OK on the Connection request prompt
- To activate the full ad blocking, click Enable Now
- Now, click on Generate & Save. Then, save the certificate on your Android device by clicking Save
- You will get a prompt to install the certificate. Click on Go to settings
- Go to More security settings
- Click on Encryption and Credentials
- Then, proceed to Install a certificate and click on the CA certificate
- You may get a security warning. Still, click Install anywayWarning
- Once you select your downloaded certificate, the Ad blocking is on
Other methods of blocking Twitter ads
Aside from the step-by-step guides we’ve provided above, there are additional ways to block certain Twitter ads. Although these methods will not remove all the ads on Twitter (X), they can still be somewhat helpful.
Set Twitter ad preferences
Set Twitter ad preferences
By following the steps below, you’ll be able to adjust your Twitter ad preferences and turn off personalized ads:
- Log into your Twitter account and go to Settings & Support
- Open Settings and Privacy and select Privacy and Safety
- Navigate to Ads Preferences and click on it. Then, search for Personalized ads and toggle it off
Use Twitter’s feature for muting words
The other effective way to block Twitter ads is to use the muted words feature. If you constantly see ads with a particular product or service, you can add it to the muted word list. This way, ads and posts, containing that word, won’t be displayed on your timeline.
- Log into your Twitter (X) account and open Settings & Support, and click on Settings and Privacy
- Click on Privacy and Safety, and then go to Mute and block – Muted words, and click on the plus sign at the bottom. Type in the words you would like to mute
- Toggle the Mute from Home timeline and Mute from anyone checkmarks, click Save
Hide individual promoted tweets
When you see unwanted ads on your timeline, you can hide them one by one.
- Click on the three dots next to the ad
- Select I don’t like this ad, or you can choose to Mute or Block the account entirely
What ads are there on Twitter (X)?
Twitter is a social media platform, and like many other social platforms, it comes with ads. These ads can look different and be of different intent. Here are the types of ads that appear on Twitter (X):
- Promoted ads. Promoted ads on Twitter are very similar to regular Tweets. More precisely, you can like and retweet them and even comment on them. However, advertisers pay for these ads to appear even to people who are not following them. They also come in different formats, such as text ads, image ads, video ads, moment ads, Twitter live ads, and carousel ads.
- Follower ads. These ads help attract users who don’t follow the brand’s account and also boost the growth of the company. Follower ads appear in the ‘Who to Follow’ suggestions, as well as in search results.
- Timeline takeover and trend takeover. You can come across two different types of Twitter takeover ads – trend takeover and timeline takeover. Trend takeover allows brands to put a sponsored ad in the ‘What’s happening’ section or in the ‘Trending’ tab. The timeline takeover refers to an ad that appears at the top of your timeline when you open Twitter (X) for the first time in the day.
- Branded hashtags. These Twitter ads let business owners add a visual component, such as an emoji. The visual component automatically appears if you use their hashtag.
Conclusion: how to remove Twitter ads
Twitter (X) ads help businesses promote their products and services and grow. However, they can be quite intrusive and annoying, so you may want to block them. Although you can’t fully remove them, there are a few ways to block or reduce ads on Twitter.
There are a few methods of blocking Twitter ads – removing them from your browser or mobile device or adjusting the Twitter account settings. However, the easiest and most effective way to block Twitter ads is to use a reliable ad blocker, like Total Adblock.
Title textMore ad blocking guides from Cybernews:
Why am I suddenly seeing ads on Twitter?
You can see ads on Twitter for various reasons, but basically, all Twitter users see certain ads at some point. This depends on how often you use the platform, in what way you use it, the content you engage with, etc. The most effective way to block ads on Twitter is to use an ad blocker, such as .
Does an ad blocker block Twitter ads?
Yes, an ad blocker blocks Twitter ads. It might not block every single one, but it will reduce the amount significantly. All you have to do is find a trustworthy ad blocker, such as Total Adblock, and install it on the device from which you’re accessing Twitter.