How to bypass adblock detection on any website
Ad blockers can make browsing online so much smoother and safer– no more annoying pop-ups, long load times, or being bombarded by ad campaigns. There’s only one thing that comes acrosses between you and a better browsing experience, and that’s ad block detection.
Since ads are one of the main ways for website owners to make an income, they will try anything to stop you from using ad blockers. Nevertheless, there’s a way to bypass these restrictions and continue enjoying an ad-free online experience.
In this guide, we will walk you through 5 different ways of bypassing adblock detection on any website. We will explore the ad blocker’s capabilities, site whitelisting benefits, and other options to help you out.
Bypass adblock detection using top-level ad blocker
- Select a top-notch ad blocker or a VPN with a built-in ad blocker. We recommend NordVPN Threat Protection.
- Download and install the application.
- Launch the NordVPN application.
- Sign up for the service or log in.
- Enable the Threat Protection feature in Settings.
How does adblock detection work?
It’ll be clear if your ad blocker has been detected– you’ll be greeted with a pop-up saying something like, “We noticed that you're using an adblocker” It will then instruct you to turn off your ad blocker if you want to proceed to the site.
Sometimes the site will completely freeze your screen, so you can’t move until you’ve turned off the blocker like they want. It might seem extreme, but many of these sites depend on the advertising revenue generated by you seeing the ad campaign.
What are the most common adblock detection techniques?
Ads have become one of the most crucial aspects for the website to either analyze user behavior or work with affiliate programs. Hence, website owners have found more than a couple of effective ways to detect the ad blocker in use.
Here are some key techniques that help the website to detect ad blockers:
- Detection of element hiding. Another approach involves hiding specific HTML elements, such as invisible divs or hidden images, that are normally associated with ads. By checking if these elements are still visible on the webpage, the website can detect enabled ad blockers and force you to stop using them on the website.
- Detection of request blocking. Ad blockers usually prevent the loading of ad-related resources, such as images, scripts, or tracking pixels. Websites can analyze the requests made by the browser and notice if specific scheduled ad-related attachments are being blocked. If they are absent, the website suspects the use of an ad blocker.
- Implementation of anti-adblock scripts. Some website owners employ anti-adblock scripts that actively detect ad blockers and respond accordingly. These scripts may display pop-ups, notifications, or error messages requesting users to disable their ad blockers to access the website content.
Why would you want to bypass adblock detection?
Having to turn off your ad blocker constantly can make it seem pointless even to use one. Here are some of the top reasons people want to bypass adblock detection effectively:
- Security. Many people use a reputable ad blocker to have a safer experience browsing online. Pop-up ads are more than just annoying– they can be hiding phishing attempts, malware, scareware, or other threats. If your ad blocker is detected and you have to turn it off, you’re suddenly at risk of encountering these lurking cybersecurity dangers.
- Save data and load time. When your ad blocker is working properly, it can help pages load faster and use less network data. If your ad blocker gets detected and you have to disable it, you’ll burn through more data, suffer through slower load times, and have a less enjoyable experience online.
- Stay invisible to trackers. The top ad blockers will also block trackers, which are responsible for gathering data on your online activities to help target ads more effectively. If you can’t keep your ad blocker consistently enabled, trackers will have a chance to see what you’re up to online and target ads accordingly.
5 ways to bypass adblock detection
Ready to learn how to bypass adblock detection no matter where you go online? Here are 5 methods you can use to keep your ad blocker enabled, even on sites that would prefer you didn’t.
1. Use top-notch ad blocker
Using a reliable ad blocker is your best chance at staying undetected, no matter where you go online. Ad blockers, like NordVPN Threat Protection, offer comprehensive ad blocking features to keep you safe from malicious pop-ups, banners, video ads, or online trackers. This way, you’ll maintain ad-free and secure browsing at all times.
- Copy the URL of the website that has detected your ad blocker.
- Go to the three dots on the upper right of your browser.
- Select Settings.
- Proceed to Advanced settings and click on Site settings.
- Add the URL under the Block category.
- Go back to the website and refresh – you should now be free of ad block detection.
- Open the Opera browser, and from the menu bar, choose Preferences.
- When the Settings section opens in a new tab, choose Advanced from the left menu bar.
- Hit Site Settings.
- Below, find the sections to specify the allowed or blocked websites.
- Launch Microsoft Edge and click the three-dot icon on the upper-right part of the page.
- Select Settings.
- Choose Cookies and Site Permissions.
3. Install a user script manager
No matter what browser you use, there are extensions specifically designed to manage user scripts and bypass adblock detection. Tampermonkey and Greasemonkey are popular choices that allow you to manage user scripts and ultimately get around adblock detection.
Once you set up a script to block adblock detection, you should be able to view the site as usual. These extensions are also great for not impacting the layout of the page.
4. Enable Chrome’s Distill Page Feature
If you’re using the Chrome browser, you can use the built-in Distill Page Feature to keep your ad blocker working at all times. When you enable this feature, it will distill the content down to essentials, eliminating adblock detection. Keep in mind it can impact the appearance of the page.
Find steps on how to enable Distill Page Feature below:
- Go to chrome://flags/#enable-reader-mode.
- Select Enabled for Enable Reader Mode
- If an ad blocker is detected on any site, you can now click Distill page from the three-dot menu.
5. Use your browser’s Reading Mode
If you’re not using Chrome, you can check your browser for a specialized Reading Mode. Enabling this mode will simplify whatever webpage you’re on, eliminating all non-essential information – including its adblock detection.
Does adblock detection compromise user privacy?
Adblock detection does impact users’ online privacy levels. Apart from the fact that the website seeks to interfere with the users’ choice of online freedom by forcing them to disable the ad blocker, the website does that for privacy-violating reasons too.
Online advertisement is one of the key methods for a webpage to boost income. The ads you come across may be regulated by the webpage owner itself, or there’s an affiliate program going on. While facing any type of ad on a reputable website isn’t as dangerous as it would be on bogus websites, it’s also important to note that the majority of websites use trackers.
Trackers help website owners to track and analyze your behavior on the page as well as personal information, such as IP address, device ID, type of browser you use, geo-location, and more. Simply put, your information is being collected and used for commerce purposes.
So, adblock detection greatly adds up to exposing your sensitive information to multiple third parties. It can either be the website itself, the affiliate partners it works with, or even the governmental institutions. Thus, we recommend using a robust ad blocker, like NordVPN Threat Protection, that effectively bypasses adblock detection on various sites without getting detected.
After investing in a new adblocker, it can be both frustrating and dangerous anytime a website detects it and stops you in your tracks. When your screen freezes, and you’re faced with a pop-up instructing you to disable your adblocker, don’t worry– it’s not over just yet.
Best ad blockers deals this week:
More ad blocking guides from Cybernews:
How to get around ad blocker detection?
How do I block ads without being detected?
Why does it say I have AdBlock when I don't?
Is it safe to disable an ad blocker?
No, disabling an ad blocker isn’t safe. Ad blockers, such as NordVPN Threat Protection, prevent you from clicking on infected pop-ups, banners, video ads, and other types of adware. They also block bogus websites and online trackers, ensuring online security and privacy.