How to block ads on Android in 2023
Ads are a permanent fixture of our online lives, and your Samsung phone or other Android device is likely full of them, too. Ads are in games, on browsers, and even on some OS apps – getting rid of them may seem impossible.
Luckily, there is a way to block ads on Android and enjoy a totally new, ad-less experience. The easiest solution for annoying ads is a quality ad blocker for Android. You can also tinker with your browser and phone settings, but an ad blocker will be far more effective.
In this article, we give you a detailed guide on how to block ads on Android, as well as suggest some of the best ad blockers for the job.
How to block ads on Android in 4 steps
- Pick a trustworthy ad blocker. We recommend Total Adblock, now 80% OFF
- Download and install the app
- Turn ad blocking on
- All done. The ads are now going to be disabled on Android
Why you might want to block ads on Android
Apart from just being a pain, ads can have a detrimental effect on your Android use. Read these reasons to block ads on Android and see what you think:
- Minimal distractions: Adverts get in the way of videos, games, browsing, and more. Block ads, and you can enjoy your favorite content without annoying interruptions.
- Preserve battery: Adverts are a drain on your Android’s resources. Every little ad that appears will chip away at your battery. Blocking ads on Android will help your phone operate for longer.
- Save your mobile data: The more ads you're forced to watch, the more mobile data allowance you’ll use up. Don’t waste data on unwanted content – block ads instead.
- Block malware: Adverts can have malicious motivations. Some banners, pop-ups, and websites could secretly be attempting to steal your data or con you out of money. With an ad blocker in place, you’ll have a shield to protect you from threats.
How to block ads on Android using ad blocker: a detailed guide
The best way to prevent ads from appearing while you're browsing on your Android device is with a reliable ad blocker. This tool will prevent adware and other online threats from targeting your device and information. All you need is to pick a reliable service. Our top choice is Total Adblock, and irritating adverts will be a thing of the past:
- Total Adblock does not have an app on Google Play, so you need to go to their website and it will automatically download the .apk file. You might need to confirm the download by clicking OK or Download anyway.
- After the file has been downloaded, click Open.
- You may get a warning: 'For your security, your phone is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source'.
- Click the Settings option on the pop-up and toggle on Allow from this source.
- If needed, confirm again by checking the agreement to the security risks and clicking OK.
- On the pop up click Install.
- Open the Total Adblock application and log in.
- Click on the Power button to turn on Ad blocking.
- Click OK on the Connection request prompt.
- To activate the full ad blocking click Enable Now.
- Now click on Generate and Save.
- Save the certificate on your Android device by clicking Save.
- You will get a prompt to install the certificate, click on Go to settings.
- Go to More security settings.
- Go to Encryption and Credentials -> Install a certificate -> CA certificate.
- You may get a security warning, click Install anyway.
- Select your downloaded certificate.
- Now Ad blocking is on.
Not only is Total Adblock extremely reliable when it comes to blocking ads, but it's also very budget-friendly. You can purchase your subscription starting at $1.99/month and enjoy an ad-free browsing experience.
Tired of reading? Check out our detailed video guide on how to successfully secure your Android device from malicious ads, pop-ups, trackers, and more.
Other methods of blocking ads on Android devices
If you’re hesitating about getting an ad blocker, there are other ways to block ads on Android. Below are some things you can try to get rid of Android ads:
1. Block ads on Chrome
You can manually set your Chrome browser to block ads. However, note that this will get rid of ads only on the browser, and not elsewhere on your Android.
- Open Chrome and click on three dots in the top right corner
- Select Settings
- Go to Advanced and press Site settings
- Enable blocking pop-ups and redirects
- Do the same for Ads
2. Use the Brave web browser
Alternatively, you could use an entirely different browser. For example, Brave is a privacy and security focus browser that blocks most ads and trackers automatically. However, some ads might still appear, so to avoid that, we recommend getting a quality ad blocker extension, such as Total Adblock.
You can download the Brave browser onto your Android from the Google Play Store.
3. Disable the internet
Some games and apps won’t show ads if you disable your internet connection. However, there’s also a chance the game will stop running. Turn off mobile data and Wi-Fi in your Android settings to see if it works.
4. Protect your device from adware
Android devices are susceptible to malware, including adware and potentially unwanted applications (PUA). To avoid infecting your device, make sure to always follow these steps:
- Get a quality antivirus for Android.
- Get an ad blocker to block malicious ads.
- Don't click on ads, especially the ones that invoke a sense of urgency.
- Be extra careful when downloading and opening files.
- Don't download anything from untrustworthy sources.
- Always be wary of phishing attempts.
How to block ads on Android by changing the DNS
If you want to block ads on your Android device without acquiring any apps, you can easily do that by changing to an ad-blocking service’s private DNS provider. This method requires no ad blocker apps. However, it only works on Android 9 Pie and above.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to changing DNS on Android:
- Head to Settings > Network and Internet > Advanced > Private DNS
- Choose the option Private DNS Provider Hostname
- Enter "dns.adguard.com" and Save
- That's it! You'll no longer see any in-app ad ads or pop-ups on browsers
Keep in mind that on some Android devices, the DNS settings might be different. if that's the case, look for Private DNS settings and the option to manually input the required information.
With AdGuard DNS, you get rootless ad blocking on your Androd device, but there's a chance it might not block all ads.
How to choose an ad blocker to block Android ads
Choosing the right ad blocker for your Android is important. Of course, blocking Android ads is the main feature, but there are other factors to look for:
- Compatibility with Android devices. Make sure that your chosen ad blocker has an app for Android devices, and is as easy to use as you like.
- Blocking filters. Not all ad blockers have this feature, but it is useful if you still want to see some specific ads, and block others. With blocking filters, you can configure your preferences for ads.
- Privacy features. Make sure that the privacy settings and policies of your chosen provider match your preferences. A lot of free ad blockers are known to collect user data and sell it to third parties. If you value your privacy, get an ad blocker that has a no-logs policy.
- Additional features. A simple ad blocker will block ads, but a truly excellent ad blocker will take care of your online privacy and security on another level. Look for an ad blocker with a built-in VPN, antivirus, and malware scanner. It’s always better to have one app for your personal security.
Adverts get in the way of games, articles, websites, streaming content, songs, and pretty much everything you like doing on your Android.
Adverts drain your battery and eat up your mobile data. Blocking ads won’t just make browsing better – it can save you money too.
An ad blocker like Total Adblock is the tool you need to block ads for good. With a capable provider on your device, you can block ads and enjoy a browsing and gaming experience with no interruptions.
More ad blocker guides from Cybernews:
How do I block full ads on Android?
An ad blocker is the best way to block full ads on your Android. As long as you use a reliable alternative like Total Adblock, you won’t have to deal with ads getting in the way of your content.
Can you block ads on Android apps?
TotalAdblock is a tool that can help you block unwanted ads in your Android apps. Download it from the Google Play Store, enable its blocking features, and launch your favorite apps ad-free.
How do I stop ads on mobile games in Android?
If ads are getting in the way of your mobile games, we recommend using an app like Total Adblock. Then you can enjoy ad-free gaming on your Android smartphone or tablet with no hassle.
How to block YouTube ads on Android?
Get a capable ad blocker on your Android device, and you can block all YouTube ads. Try Total Adblock and enjoy as many videos as you like without any adverts spoiling the fun.