How to block ads on Amazon FireStick in 2023
As Amazon is forcing automatic updates on Fire TV devices, including FireStick, you can expect Fire OS system updates regardless of your device or user preference. Moreover, the platform might soon block custom launchers, including the widely popular Wolf Launcher.
When watching content on FireStick, you might be interrupted by ads, pop-ups, and suggested content, which could sometimes be rather annoying. Pop-up ads, video ads, floating ads, banner ads, and overlay ads are all part of the deal. Not only do they harm the viewing experience, but some of them might be malicious, too.
Continue reading to find out how to block these annoying ads on Amazon FireStick. Let’s dive into the details!
How to block ads on Amazon FireStick with an ad blocker
- Find the Downloader app on your FireStick
- Download and install the Downloader app
- On it, find and download a reliable ad blocker, like
- Install the ad blocker and enjoy an ad-free streaming
Why you might want to block ads on Amazon FireStick
As mentioned earlier, you can stumble upon different types of ads on FireStick. For instance, you can encounter banner ads on the main menu or in third-party apps, as well as pop-ups or video ads. You might also sometimes encounter overlay ads, that cover the entire screen.
Whichever type of ad you are facing, they can all be quite annoying. Here are the reasons why you might want to block ads on FireStick:
- Better viewing experience. Ads can be disruptive, especially when they are frequent or repetitive. Learning how to skip ads on Amazon Fire Stick can create a more seamless and enjoyable streaming session without unwanted interruptions.
- Improves load times and performance. Ads can sometimes slow down the performance of your device due to additional data being loaded. So, blocking them can improve the speed and responsiveness of your Amazon FireStick.
- Lower data usage. If you have a limited data plan, ads can consume unnecessary data. Thereby, blocking ads helps in managing and reducing overall data usage.
- Reduces tracking. Ads might include trackers that monitor user behavior and preferences for targeted advertising. If you learn how to turn off ads on FireStick, you can reduce tracking and improve privacy.
- Personal preferences. You might prefer a cleaner interface without the clutter of ads, especially when navigating the home screen or within certain applications.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to block ads on FireStick. Using a robust ad blocker is the most effective solution. However, you can also modify the privacy settings or disable notifications, both of which solve the problem partially.
How to block Amazon FireStick ads with ad blocker: detailed guide
The most effective way to skip ads on Amazon Fire Stick is to use a reliable ad blocker. The following steps should work on most Amazon Fire TV devices, including Fire TV Cube (2nd and 3rd generation), Amazon Fire TV (1st, 2nd and 3rd generation), Fire TV Stick 4K and 4K Max (1st and 2nd generation), Fire TV Stick (2nd and 3rd generation), Fire TV Stick Lite and Fire TV 2-series and 4-series.
Some steps might slightly differ from the steps provided in the tutorial, depending on the device you are using. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Search bar and find Downloader
- You should see the Downloader app as a suggestion. Download it
- After downloading, go to FireStick’s settings. Click on My Fire TV
- Next, navigate to Developer Options
- Click on Install unknown apps to allow third-party installations
- Finally, find the Downloader app there. Install it.
- Now, you need to choose a reliable ad blocker. We suggest NordVPN with its feature.
- Go to NordVPN’s website and subscribe to a plan, suitable to your needs – Threat Protection comes with all VPN plans at no additional cost
- Go to FireStick’s home screen and click on Find
- Select the search tile
- Start typing NordVPN and select it in the suggested finds
- Select it, then click Get or Download
- Install the NordVPN app
- After the installation is complete, open the NordVPN app and log in with your new credentials
- Follow the in-app instructions to activate Threat Protection
Other methods of blocking ads on FireStick
There are two alternative methods on how to block ads on FireStick apart from using an ad blocker. However, these methods are not 100% effective, although they can still improve your experience.
1. Modify privacy settings via Preferences
First, you can adjust the privacy settings on your Amazon FireStick device. By doing so, your device will track less data and, in turn, might show fewer ads. While this is not as effective as the ad blocker itself, it still resolves the issue to a degree.
Here’s how to skip ads on Amazon FireStick using the home screen:
- Navigate to Settings on the home page of Firestick, find Preferences, and click on it
- Go down to Privacy Settings
- Turn off the following: Device Usage Data, Collect App Usage Data, and Interest-based Ads
- Go back and click on the Data Monitoring. Turn it off as well
- Go back and find Featured Content
- There, turn off: Allow Video Autoplay and Allow Audio Autoplay
2. Turn off Notifications
Second, you can disable the notifications from the Amazon FireStick app itself. This will prevent ads from popping up while you are not on the app.
Here’s how to turn off ads on FireStick using the Notifications Settings:
- Same as in the previous method, go to Preferences, then, go to Notifications Settings
- Click on App Notifications in the Notifications settings menu
- Disable apps that show intrusive ads while you are not using them
3. Use ad-free streaming apps
Finally, exploring ad-free streaming apps can significantly improve your viewing experience on FireStick and other Fire TV devices.
Among many options, Kodi stands out as a leading choice. This open-source media player offers a seamless viewing journey with no ad interruptions. Kodi’s customizable interface and vast library of add-ons make it a prime pick for those aiming to dodge commercials and dive straight into their favorite content.
Likewise, installing third-party applications like Terrarium TV no ads Firestick or FilmPlus no ads Firestick versions can offer an ad-free experience. These modified apps are designed to remove intrusive advertisements from your viewing, enhancing your streaming sessions.
The bottom line is clear: an ad-free experience on your FireStick is entirely achievable. By leveraging the power of an ad blocker, like NordVPN’s Threat Protection, you can bypass the clutter of commercials and enjoy seamless streaming.
Moreover, other methods can help you block ads on FireStick. From setting up the privacy settings to disabling notifications, you have the tools to craft an ad-free environment. With these approaches, you will transform your Amazon FireStick into a tool of uninterrupted entertainment tailored to your preferences and free from ads.
More ad blocker guides from Cybernews
Can you block ads on FireStick?
Yes, you can block ads on Amazon FireStick using an ad blocker, such as NordVPN’s Threat Protection. Ad blockers are the most effective solution, as they improve the viewing experience, boost load times and performance, and reduce data usage and tracking.
Is it legal to block ads on FireStick?
Yes, you are free to tailor your internet usage and protect your privacy by blocking ads and malware. However, the legality can also depend on the method you use to block these ads and the terms of service of the streaming platform or app. The use of ad blockers is typically within legal boundaries.