How to block ads on Netflix in 2024
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming platforms across the globe. Unfortunately, some people get frustrated because of the implemented ad-supported subscription. This plan is available only in the United States, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea, and Japan. However, it seems like users are looking for a way to watch Netflix without ads, even on the cheapest plan.
Netflix employs interest-based ads that usually last for 10–60 seconds. You might want to block these ads because they interfere with your viewing experience, cause slower speeds, and may lead to excessive monitoring or even potential cyber threats.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to block Netflix ads with an ad blocker as well as other methods, based on the research from our Cybernews experts.
How to block ads on Netflix with an ad blocker
- Download a robust ad blocker app or a browser extension. We recommend Total Adblock, now 80% OFF
- Install the ad blocker or the extension on your device and log in
- Enable ad-blocking on the app or extension
- You should now be able to watch your favorite Netflix content ad-free
Why you might want to block ads on Netflix
Netflix ads help you get a more personalized experience by offering goods and services you may like. However, they can become rather annoying by interrupting your streaming experience.
Our Cybernews research team has analyzed how Netflix ads work, and it seems the ads are based on how much content you've already watched. For example, if you skip the video straight to where the ad is supposed to be shown (you can see it marked yellow on the video progress bar), the ad will not be shown, as you haven't actually watched a particular amount of content.
Our experts have found two ads in a 20-minute TV series episode. Those ads were both 20 seconds in length. This means that during a short episode, you lose at least 40 seconds of your time. There will be more commercials on longer videos, and they might also be longer – up to 60 seconds each.
Here are some of the reasons why you might want to block Netflix ads:
- Uninterrupted streaming. Netflix ads appear in the middle of your movie or TV show or before the content starts playing. This can lead to frustration among users, as there is no option to skip the ad, so you will need to wait 10–60 seconds for the ad to pass.
- Slower internet connection. For ads to load, more data has to be used, therefore slowing down your connection. Besides, it also becomes an issue if you have limited internet data.
- Potential threats. Ads might also contribute to infecting your device with malware. This is not common, but possible. By opening the ad, which is reliable, you may end up on a website with additional links and pop-ups that come with malware. Therefore, your personal data will be exposed to risk.
- Might lead to inappropriate content. While the ads usually promote goods and services that you may like, the information they provide might not always be suitable for everyone, for example, children.
How to block ads on Netflix with an ad blocker: detailed guide
Now that you’re aware of the reasons why it’s best to block ads on Netflix, we should explain how to do this. Luckily, this is a straightforward process, which shouldn’t cause you any challenges. For a better understanding, we’ve come up with a detailed step-by-step guide on how to block Netflix ads:
- Go for a reliable ad blocker and choose the subscription that fits your needs the best. Our top recommendation is Total Adblock
- Go to your browser’s extension store (on Chrome, for example, you can do this by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner, going to Extensions – Visit Chrome Web Store
- Find Total Adblock or your preferred ad blocker extension, and add it to your browser
- After adding the extension, click on the puzzle piece icon on your browser, select Total Adblock, and log in
- Now click on the cog wheel icon and activate ad-blocking
- To be on the safe side, you can also clear your browser’s cookies and cache
- That’s it! You can now open Netflix and enjoy an ad-free experience!
Bear in mind, that the ads will still be marked yellow on the playback bar, but will still be blocked and not actually shown.
Other methods of blocking ads on Netflix
Apart from using an ad blocker, there are other methods to remove ads on Netflix. However, these methods might include extra expenses.
1. Get Netflix Standard or Premium
Only Netflix Standard with ads includes advertisements. Netflix standard and Premium plans allow you to enjoy an ad-free experience.
However, they come with a price range of $15.49/month–$22.99/month. However, these plans are a lot pricier compared to the Standard with ads one. If it doesn’t break your bank, then you should upgrade to a better plan, as this lets you avoid ads, watch in high picture quality, enjoy amazing sounds, and with Premium you can even watch on more devices at the same time.
However, if you don’t want to pay for the Premium plan, using Total Adblock is your best solution.
2. Use a VPN
Besides blocking ads on Netflix with an ad blocker or upgrading to a pricier plan, you can also use a VPN to get an ad-free plan cheaper. A strong VPN, like NordVPN, will allow you to choose a server in a country where Netflix doesn’t have an ad-supported plan. Besides, in some countries, the prices are far cheaper compared to the US, for example.
Check our comprehensive guide on how to get a Netflix subscription cheaper so you can choose the most cost-effective plan with no ads. Besides, a VPN will allow you to connect to any country worldwide, so you can take advantage of different Netflix content libraries.
What’s more, some of the best VPNs come with their own ad blocker, providing you with an even better experience. So, if you already have a VPN subscription, check whether there’s an ad-blocking feature included, like NordVPN’s Threat Protection, which is also great at blocking Netflix ads.
Netflix ad policy explained
Netflix started losing subscribers in the second half of 2022 due to some content issues, layoffs, and the end of password sharing. Their stock value dropped, which resulted in the company losing billions in market capitalization. So, in order to attract them back, the company announced imposing cheaper plans with ads.
However, the ad-based subscriptions weren’t launched in every country. The only Netflix libraries with such plans are the US, UK, Spain, Mexico, Korea, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, Brazil, Australia and Japan.
Overall, the users that use the Netflix ad-based plans encounter an average of 4 minutes of ads within an hour, according to Netflix. This is because their ads range between 10 and 60 seconds. You can see how many ads are left, but you can’t skip them.
Conclusion: how to block Netflix ads
Netflix decided to launch an ad-based subscription, which is cheaper, so it can win back the customers it lost due to different issues. However, viewers are still looking for ways on how to watch Netflix without ads, even on the cheapest plan.
In order to block Netflix ads, we recommend you use a reliable ad blocker, like Total Adblock, which has a free and a premium version. You can also try getting a cheaper Premium subscription with a VPN. Whichever way, you won’t experience any ads on Netflix that interfere with your overall streaming experience!
More ad blocker guides from Cybernews:
Does Netflix have ads now in 2024?
Yes, Netflix has ads in 2024 in its Standard with ads plan, which is available in the US, UK, Canada, Spain, Mexico, Korea, Italy, Germany, France, Brazil, Australia, and Japan. To block ads even on the cheapest plan, we recommend using a trusted ad blocker, like Total Adblock.
How long are Netflix ads?
Netflix ads last for 10–60 seconds. They can appear at the beginning or in the middle of the content you’re watching. According to Netflix, there’s an average of 4 minutes of ads per hour.
Does Netflix show ads on kids’ profiles with ad-supported plans?
No, Netflix doesn’t show ads on kids’ profiles, even on an ad-supported plan.