Best VPNs for Malaysia in 2023
Malaysia isn’t the most obstructing online privacy country in the world. And yet, there are still hackers that collect your data or even the government snooping around it too. By using a reputable VPN you can seamlessly increase your online safety and privacy. Moreso, it also helps you bypass strict bans around dating apps, like Sugarbook, online gambling websites, and other content.
During our tests, we could access blocked applications, websites, and geo-restricted Netflix libraries too. Plus, our traffic was encrypted, and the IP address got successfully changed to another one, making us completely untraceable online.
To help you get these results as well, we have tested and selected the best VPN services with servers in Malaysia. They include top-notch security features, great connection speeds, and more benefits to improve your online experience. So, continue reading and select the one that suits you.
Top 5 best VPNs for Malaysia
- NordVPN – overall the best Malaysia VPN in 2023
- Surfshark – best affordable VPN for Malaysia
- IPVanish – Malaysia VPN for unlimited devices protection
- ExpressVPN – robust VPN with great speeds
- Atlas VPN – best free VPN for Malaysia
What makes the best VPN for Malaysia?
Among several dozens of VPNs on the market, only a few comply with all essential VPN security and performance standards. And even fewer providers are suitable for Malaysia. Here’s how to know that your chosen VPN is the best one:
- Has a large server fleet. For starters, you need a VPN to have servers in Malaysia, as those can deliver you the best connection speeds while staying in Malaysia. But a VPN works for traveling or unblocking geo-restricted content as well, so foreign servers are not less important.
- Applies robust security. The most secure VPN will make it easy for you to know that it uses advanced encryption for your traffic, has a kill switch feature and DNS leak protection to protect your IP at all times, and other security measures.
- Offers good connection speeds. If you’re considering a VPN provider that uses the WireGuard tunneling protocol or even improved versions of it, you can already expect to have a fast and secure internet connection.
- Has extra features. Each additional security feature adds up to your safety and overall online satisfaction. Look for a Malaysia VPN with obfuscated servers, Smart DNS, split tunneling, and more.
The best paid VPNs for Malaysia – our detailed list:
A VPN can change your online game in Malaysia, so it’s a must to choose the provider wisely. To help you with that, we have gathered the key insights of the best paid VPNs regarding security, performance, features, and other critical aspects.
So, without further ado, let’s dig deeper and find the best Malaysia VPN for you.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Malaysia in 2023
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
NordVPN is the most reliable option to choose for a Malaysian VPN. Top-notch security features, 11 servers in Malaysia, and excellent unblocking capabilities make this provider an all-around solution.
Performance: NordVPN used the NordLynx tunneling protocol– an improved version of the WireGuard. With it, you receive up to 84% of your primary connection speed.
Features: this VPN enhances your protection using DNS leak protection, a robust ad blocker, and specialty servers, like Double VPN servers or obfuscated ones, for masking your VPN connection. Not to mention the SmartPlay feature that helps you enjoy streaming on devices that don’t initially support a VPN connection, like Apple TV.
All in all, this Malaysia VPN is the first option we recommend considering. Apart from an impressive security suite, it also costs from $3.29/month. And there’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee that allows you to test the service before committing to it.
Check out NordVPN review and learn more about it.
- 11 servers in Malaysia
- Excellent connection speeds
- Unblocks Netflix and other streaming sites
- Obfuscated servers
- Audited no-logs policy
- No free version
2. Surfshark – affordable and advanced Malaysia VPN
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark outrivals the Malaysia VPNs market with its cheap pricing and loads of benefits. Starting from allowed unlimited connections and continuing with 25 servers in Malaysia, a comprehensive security suite, this VPN includes everything you need to stay secure online.
Security and privacy: here, advanced encryption makes your data unreadable to anyone. Meanwhile, the kill switch feature ensures your IP isn’t leaked even if a VPN connection is lost. But that’s not all, as Surfshark has also passed an independent privacy audit.
Performance: whether you’re planning to stream or casually browse the internet, this VPN can guarantee you fast and stable connection speed. It uses the WireGuard tunnel, which is known for maintaining good speeds (88% of your initial speed, in this case).
Features: Surfshark delivers an all-in-one security package. You get a robust ad blocker and split tunneling that allows you to control your VPN traffic. Obfuscation helps you use VPN in places with VPN blocks. And SmartDNS lets you use a VPN on those devices that can’t have a VPN installed. Yet, there’s more, as this VPN also has a fully-fledged Surfshark antivirus.
Putting it all together, Surfshark is suitable for Malaysians, inexperienced users, and advanced users as all – basically, for everyone. You can use it on unlimited devices simultaneously even though you’re paying as little as $2.30/month! Of course, a month-long money-back guarantee is included.
Find out more about the features in our Surfshark review.
- 25 Malaysian servers
- Excellent for streaming
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Has ad blocker
- Very cheap
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – Malaysia VPN for your all devices
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
With 12 servers in Malaysia, robust security features, and a crystal clear past IPVanish stands as one of the safest VPNs to use today. Moreover, protection is not all, as it can also unblock popular streaming sites, help you with torrenting, and more.
Security and privacy: first things first – IPVanish offers the most crucial security features. With it, your traffic is encrypted using AES-256 encryption, the kill switch feature protects your IP at all times, and an audited no-logs policy ensures complete privacy.
Performance: apart from unbreakable protection, this VPN also knows how to manage your connection speed. Thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol, and the IPVanish team, obviously, your speeds retain around 80-90% of your initial speed. So, you’re fast and secure. What’s better than that?
Features: just like we said, IPVanish is simple yet strong. It has split tunneling that allows you to choose what apps are routed through a VPN. You can also obfuscate your VPN traffic and hide it from controlling characters. Lastly, the SugarSync feature, which is actually an encrypted 500 GB storage that you can get for additional pennies.
To conclude, IPVanish is more than enough to stay secure and regain your internet freedom in Malaysia. Plus, its starting price is $3.33/month, and you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee, so no mugging is happening here.
Read our detailed IPVanish review and learn more about it.
- 12 servers in Malaysia
- Fantastic connection speeds
- Audited no-logs policy
- Encrypted storage available
- Obfuscation feature
- Features suite could be improved
4. ExpressVPN – fast and reliable Malaysia VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
ExpressVPN is one of the favorite VPNs among Malaysians. And it’s no surprise, as this provider offers high-quality service with reliable security features, great connection speeds, and servers in Kuala Lumpur.
Security and performance: this VPN doesn’t skimp on using advanced security features. It uses market-leading AES-256 that makes your traffic unreadable. There’s also the kill switch that protects your IP if a VPN connection is interrupted. And ExpressVPN has a zero-logs policy too that has been audited by the court and third-party audits.
Performance: ExpressVPN offers you the Lightway tunneling protocol, which maintains around 77% of your actual connection speed without noticeable speed drops.
Features: ExpressVPN focuses on both security and free time. You get split tunneling, obfuscated servers, and even a Threat Manager, which blocks online trackers. Apart from those, there is MediaStreamer, which allows you to use a VPN on streaming devices, gaming consoles, and other devices that can’t have a VPN installed.
Overall, ExpressVPN is a worthy provider to choose as a VPN in Malaysia. However, ExpressVPN’s starting price is $6.67/month, which is quite pricey compared to the average VPN market pricing. Yet, a 30-day money-back guarantee lets you feel the service before making a final decision.
Want to know more? Check out our ExpressVPN review.
- Servers in Malaysia
- Strict and audited zero-logs policy
- Lightway tunneling protocol
- Has a tracker blocker
- iOS version doesn't have a kill switch
The best free VPNs for Malaysia – our detailed list:
Even though finding a free VPN with servers in Malaysia is nearly impossible, you can still use it to temporarily mask your IP. Therefore, we have tested and picked out the most reliable free VPNs that ensure decent protection as well as performance.
1. Atlas VPN – the best free VPN for Malaysia in 2023
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Unblocks Netflix:||Yes, paid only|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
Atlas VPN stands out as one of the most reliable free providers to use in Malaysia. It gives you 5 GB of protected data, doesn’t limit your connection speed, and uses advanced security features.
Security and privacy: Atlas VPN encrypts your traffic using AES-256 encryption, and if your VPN connection unexpectedly drops, the kill switch feature will protect your IP from leaking. And a no-logs policy ensures no data of yours is collected while using their VPN.
Performance: free Atlas VPN offers you only three server locations to choose from, meaning you can easily come across an overcrowded server. But the WireGuard tunnel definitely improves the situation.
Features: with a free Atlas VPN, you get only a couple of features to benefit from. It has split tunneling that allows you to select what apps and sites use VPN traffic, and all available servers support P2P traffic. Now, if you get a paid plan, you also receive the SafeBrowse feature to block malicious websites. There’s also the IP rotator and even more features.
Considering it all, a free Atlas VPN is a great option for Malaysia to feel how a VPN works overall. However, the lack of features, servers, and a data cap makes this experience far similar to what you would get by paying $1.82/month and at least using Atlas VPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
Get to know the service better from our Atlas VPN review.
- Unlimited connection speed
- Advanced encryption
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Doesn’t collect activity logs
- Works for torrenting
- No free servers in Malaysia
- Only 5 GB monthly data
2. Proton VPN – free Malaysia VPN with unlimited data
|Servers/countries:||1800+ servers in 66 countries|
|Unblocks Netflix:||Yes, paid only|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN! 🔥|
Proton VPN is one of the most popular VPNs on the market that also has a good free version to use in Malaysia. With it, you can use an unlimited amount of secured data, the speed also has no limits, and servers in Japan can offer you decent connection speeds, as they are closer to Malaysia.
Security and privacy: market-leading AES-256 encryption makes your traffic inaccessible to snoopers, and the kill switch feature ensures your IP doesn’t leak when a VPN connection drops. Plus, the provider follows a strict no-logs policy, so even if it’s a free VPN, your information is safe with it.
Performance: with only 3 server locations, Proton VPN can’t promise lightning-fast connection speeds. Nevertheless, the implementation of the WireGuard protocol makes the experience at least decent.
Features: while paid users can enjoy features such as an ad blocker, specialty servers, and more, free users only receive DNS leak protection apart from the mentioned kill switch. Well, at least you know that your IP won’t be exposed in any way.
While premium Proton VPN offers a great security package, its free version is only good for testing the service. So, we recommend using its 30-day money-back guarantee to try out the full version. The starting price of premium plans is $4.99/month.
Get more details from our Proton VPN review.
- Industry-leading encryption
- WireGuard protocol
- DNS leak protection
- Unlimited data
- Tiny server fleet for free users
- No extra features
How we selected and tested these Malaysia VPNs
To filter out unfit VPNs for Malaysia, we have to make thorough tests for over a dozen of providers. While it takes time, we end up having only the best matches for your needs. So, here’s how we do that:
- Security and privacy. Without question, we look for VPNs that use AES-256 encryption, which is the strongest on the market now. We also challenge the kill switch feature as well as IP leak protection. And we make sure selected VPNs use strict no-logs policies and aren’t known for a shady reputation.
- Performance. Both our research team and the speed test tool help us to track VPNs’ performance regarding connection speed. But the speed isn’t all. We also make sure a VPN has no noticeable speed drops.
- Extra features. Once testing Malaysia VPNs, we looked for advanced security suites. Meaning, we needed a VPN to have extras, like obfuscated servers for masking your VPN connection or a Smart DNS that allows you to have a VPN connection on those devices that can’t have it installed directly.
- Server fleet. Geographically diverse server fleets are one of the key factors when evaluating a VPN. Consequently, we selected VPNs that have not only many global servers but specifically servers in Malaysia.
- Price. Last but not least, we care about the expenses. Hence, we look for those VPN providers that guarantee a fair price-to-quality ratio.
Why do you need a VPN in Malaysia
Like the majority of the world, Malaysia also has some online restrictions that bitter your time on the internet. But restrictions aren’t the only reason to want to use a VPN. With this in mind, find more reasons why VPN is vital for Malaysia below:
- Online privacy. The world is using online tracking today more than ever, and what size t-shirt you buy isn’t the only thing snoopers wish to find out. ISPs can also collect information on what are your regular contacts, what’s your opinion on political issues, and more. Fortunately, a VPN can help mask your online activity from the Malaysian government, ISP, and other third parties.
- Security. The internet has a myriad of cyber threats. Hidden malware in ads or attachments, trackers in malicious websites, etc. Yet, VPNs with ad blockers, dark web monitoring, and security features can block these infections and overall threatful links.
- Unblocking content. In Malaysia, dating apps and porn sites are often blocked by the government, which means a dull life for single people. Gladly, VPNs unblock porn sites and various applications, whether it’s a dating app or a video game.
- Streaming. Malaysia stands as one of the best countries to watch Netflix in. But there are also better libraries to enjoy. Luckily, by using VPN for Netflix or other streaming services, you can either access Malaysian libraries from anywhere or enjoy geo-restricted streaming platforms in Malaysia.
- Torrenting. In 2016, the conducted research found that file-sharing platforms are vigilantly monitored by the Malaysian government. With a robust VPN, you can either mask your IP and a VPN connection while torrenting from the ISP to stay out of the problem or access blocked file-sharing sites, such as the Pirate Bay.
Best Malaysia VPNs compared
Short in time? Check our comparison table of top VPNs for Malaysia below:
|Servers in Malaysia||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes (paid only)|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands||United States||British Virgin Islands||United States||Switzerland|
|Max connections||6||Unlimited||Unlimited||5||Unlimited (paid only)||10 (paid only)|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube (paid only)||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, HBO Max, Disney+ (paid only)|
|Price||$3.29/month||$2.30/month||$3.33/month||$6.67/month||Free or $1.82/month||Free or $4.99/month|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark review||IPVanish review||ExpressVPN review||Atlas VPN review||ProtonVPN review|
How to get a Malaysia IP address with a VPN?
Using a VPN to change your real IP address to a Malaysian one doesn’t require technical knowledge or sacrificing your nerves. To show you how it’s done, we are using our top pick – NordVPN.
- Download and install the NordVPN application to your device.
- Create a Nord Account and choose your subscription plan.
- Log in to your account on the app.
- Locate Malaysia on the map or in the servers list.
- Connect through the Quick connect option or choose your preferred server.
Internet censorship in Malaysia
Malaysia’s internet censorship is nothing compared to China’s or Russia’s. However, this can vary depending on what your online interests are, as the restrictions start from dating apps and reach even religion.
Personal data gathering
Malaysia is one of a few countries that doesn’t have any Privacy Acts to protect citizens’ personal data. And with the continuously increasing number of cases where the government and the ISP are proven to collect sensitive user information, some kind of privacy retention is crucial.
While the Malaysian government isn’t the most active member in asking social platforms to provide their citizens’ data, there are still situations where you can be easily exposed. For example, if you have been having a suspicious relationship with the country’s officials or simply posted anything against the Islamic community, the government can get in touch with you sooner than later.
Speaking of religion, Malaysia vigilantly tracks anyone who initiates discussions, activities, or anything that can harm Islamic beliefs in the country. Even though the government states that people have a free choice of religion, Islam is the country’s state religion.
The Religion Of Peace is one of the websites that has been blocked in Malaysia due to heavy criticism of Islam. It thoroughly follows terrorist acts, new laws that seem to them to be inhumane, and other Islamic activities that go against other religions’ beliefs.
Porn sites and online dating
It’s crystal clear that a country with Islam as the official religion won’t be okay with its citizens enjoying porn and going for unclear relationships that do not cherish religion.
Consequently, Malaysians don’t have access to numerous popular adult platforms, such as PornHub, Redtube, and more, as pornography is strictly banned in the country. The same rule applies to dating applications like Sugarbook.
Another wickedness that the Malaysian government tries to control is online gambling. Although many countries around the globe are fighting against this type of leisure, the Sharia law in Malaysia considers this activity a criminal act.
Consequently, popular gambling sites, like 888casino, Carnival Casino, and more, are blocked. And even though a gambling VPN can help you bypass these blocks, we don’t encourage you to go against national laws and be involved in criminal activity.
Is a VPN allowed in Malaysia?
Yes, VPNs are allowed in Malaysia. That being said, there are no particular laws stating that using VPN is illegal or restricted in any way (except criminal activity, of course).
After all, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an online security and privacy measure that’s used not only by regular internet users but also by governmental institutions. With it, your online activity and information are protected from cyber criminals, for starters. But, indeed, the use of it has evolved over the years, and now people find it as a tool to stay anonymous from the government itself, bypass geo-restrictions around content, and even enjoy prohibited activities.
However, speaking of prohibited activities, keep in mind that VPN’s legality ends when you use it to violate other users’ safety and privacy or break the country’s laws.
Can I watch Malaysian TV from another country using a VPN?
Yes, you can watch Malaysian TV from abroad using a VPN connection. And apart from Malaysian films or TV shows, you can also easily access Netflix Malaysia, which is one of the best 30 Netflix libraries! So, without hesitating, find a glimpse of what you can expect seeing below:
- Netflix Malaysia: Air Force The Movie: Danger Close, Devotion, JUNG_E, Mission Manju, Crash Course in Romance, Physical: 100, The Glory.
- Malaysia sports events: Malaysia Open (badminton), Malaysia Grand Prix (motorsport), ABL Invitational (basketball)
- Malaysian TV and streaming platforms: Disney+ Hotstar, Viu, dimsum, WeTV, iQIYi, MUBI
Can I use a free VPN in Malaysia?
Yes, you can use a free VPN in Malaysia, but there are a few aspects to consider before that. While a free VPN does encrypt your traffic, it’s most likely it uses outdated security features, as there’s no investment in the program.
But outdated apps are not it. Free VPNs also have data and speed caps, their server fleets are tiny and crowded, not to mention a lack of additional security features. Finally, there have been cases where a free VPN was caught collecting and selling users’ data to third parties.
All in all, a free VPN for Malaysia isn’t safe or effective. Whereas paid VPNs apply multiple security measures, complete independent audits to prove their trustworthiness, and continuously improve their apps.
If you’re concerned about the expenses, let us tell you that nearly all premium VPNs, like NordVPN or Surfshark, have 30-day money-back guarantees that allow you to test the service risk-free! In that time, you can enjoy unlimited data and speed, feature-rich apps, and unblocking geo-restricted content for free.
Online surveillance in Malaysia concerns both casual users and officials. Moreso, online restrictions include not only leisure content, like gambling, but also informational websites, such as the Malaysia Insider. Considering it all, a VPN only can ensure a safer and more private browsing experience.
With a robust Malaysia VPN, like our top-ranked NordVPN, you receive servers either in Malaysia or anywhere else in the world. Therefore, you can get a foreign IP, enjoy full anonymity, and access content that’s initially blocked in the country.
Each of our listed VPNs for Malaysia offers a 30-day money-back guarantee or even an extended one, which allows you to try top-notch security features for free. So, choose a VPN and see if you like it!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Best VPNs for streaming: expand your streaming opportunities
NordVPN vs Surfshark: find out which one is the actual winner
Best VPNS for USA: unblock favorite US streaming services
What’s the best VPN for Malaysia?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Malaysia. It has 11 Malaysian servers and x+ servers in x countries overall. With this server fleet and advanced features, you stay fully protected, receive lightning-fast connection speeds, and dozens of unblocked content.
Which VPN has Malaysia servers?
Each of our listed paid VPNs has servers in Malaysia. However, not all providers provide you with the exact server number, and as far as we know, Surfshark has the most servers located in Malaysia (25 servers).
Can I get a Malaysian IP address without a VPN?
Yes, you can get a Malaysian IP address without a VPN. To get it, you could use a Proxy server, Tor browser, and other methods. However, they are not as secure, as your data is still leaked, and they are not as effective as a VPN connection – the connection can get much slower.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked