Connecting your PlayStation 5 or 4 to a VPN is an excellent idea for several reasons. You can access geo-blocked streaming content, connect to all sorts of different gaming servers, and hide your IP address to protect yourself from distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
But since you can’t download a VPN directly to your console, finding the right tool can be difficult. So which VPNs work best with PS4 and PS5? Which are easiest to set up on a router? Which have the best features and value for money?
Don’t worry about having to do loads of research – we’ve done it all for you! So put down your controller and read on to discover the best VPNs for PlayStation 5 and 4 in 2023.
Top 5 best VPNs for PS4 and PS5
- NordVPN – best VPN for PS5 and PS4
- Surfshark – unlimited VPN connections
- IPVanish – versatile VPN for PlayStation
- ExpressVPN – Playstation VPN with loads of servers
- CyberGhost – fast VPN for gaming
What makes the best PlayStation VPN?
Among the variety of VPNs, we have available today, some of them are more suitable for PlayStation than others. Deciding which one is the best for you without some guidelines can be quite frustrating. Therefore, we have listed the main attributes that the best PlayStation VPN should have:
- Compatibility. A PlayStation VPN should work on a router so you can share a protected connection with the console. Moreover, it’s important that a VPN allows a bigger number of simultaneous connections to cover all your home devices.
- Fast speeds. A robust VPN service should never affect your connection speed so much that the gaming experience would be harmed. You should look for the fastest VPN that uses market-leading tunneling protocol.
- Good for streaming. PlayStation is a great tool to stream your favorite TV shows and movies. With a VPN that has the Smart DNS feature and unblocks popular streaming platforms, you can enjoy streaming on the console effortlessly.
- Security. Putting everything aside, a VPN is a cyber security tool. By choosing the most secure VPN, your online protection and privacy will be taken care of.
- Price and quality ratio. The rule of paying more for a better product should never be the one you trust the most. The VPN market is full of services that offer a great price and quality ratio without overpaying.
The best VPNs for PlayStation 4 and 5
We tested out a number of VPNs to get to this top 5 shortlist. From ease of use to best features, value for money, and robust security, the following VPNs are all great options for your PS4 and PS5. But which one is best for you? Let’s take a detailed look at the best VPNs for PS4 and PS5.
- Baseline testing speed: 300 Mbps download/300 Mbps upload
1. NordVPN – best VPN for PS4/PS5
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN with 63% OFF|
We rate NordVPN as the best VPN for PS4 and PS5. It’s one of the fastest and most secure VPNs on the market, with 5500+ servers in 60 countries.
NordVPN performed really well in our speed tests, with great speeds in 9 different locations. Average download speeds hit an impressive 238 Mbps. This is great, because this service is exceptional at unblocking streaming platforms. We used it to successfully access Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more.
NordVPN offers its own version of Smart DNS – SmartPlay. This is a simpler way of connecting your PS4 or PS5 to geo-restricted streaming sites, and is ideal if you just want to unblock shows and movies.
Alternatively, you can install NordVPN onto your router. NordVPN helps you through the process with guides, too, so you should be able to get it set up without too much trouble. If you need more help, you can always get in touch via its live chat to get tips directly from the support team.
There's even the possibility to set NordVPN up on a router with the IKEv2 protocol. This is useful as IKEv2 handles data encryption more efficiently on less powerful devices than the standard router tunneling protocol (OpenVPN), resulting in better speeds.
NordVPN’s subscription price starts at $3.49 a month, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unblocks Netflix and all big streaming sites
- Has SmartDNS (SmartPlay)
- Easy to use installation guides
- No log policy
- Next-gen encryption
- Fast connections
- Extensive support options
- No custom router firmware
2. Surfshark – unlimited VPN connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE|
Surfshark is our next recommended VPN service for PS4 and PS5. For streaming, you can connect easily with Smart DNS, but for the full experience, installing on the router is also possible. With guides to help you install with the IKEv2 protocol, you’ll have help at hand to get the fastest connection – we clocked average speeds of 220 Mbps.
With 3200 servers in 100 countries, Surfshark is great for unblocking streaming content and finding the best servers for gaming. Impressed by its speed and reliability, we used Surfshark to unblock Netflix, Hulu, Peacock TV, and more major streaming sites, so you can use it to turn your PS4 or PS5 into a global content hub!
One of Surfshark’s best features is that it allows you unlimited simultaneous connections on one subscription – that means you can connect it to as many devices as you want.
There’s 24/7 live chat too, so if you run into any problems setting up, the support team will be able to guide you through the fix.
Crucially, Surfshark is really affordable. With prices starting from just $2.30 a month, it’s one of the cheapest VPNs available. And with a 30-day money-back guarantee included, you can cancel without having to pay a penny if you decide to go with a different VPN.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unblocks most of the major streaming sites
- SmartDNS for easy streaming
- Installation guides for IKEv2 on routers
- Very affordable
- 24/7 live chat help
- Can't share connection from Mac
3. IPVanish – versatile VPN for PlayStation
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/Countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||Get 72% OFF IPVanish!|
Last but not least, we have IPVanish, a great VPN option at a low price. Take your pick from over 2000 servers in 50 different countries, and find the best server location for your gaming needs.
IPVanish offers a range of tunneling protocols, including IKEv2, OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPSec. Connection speeds were decent, if not exceptional. Download speeds came in at an average of 180 Mbps download speed (300 Mbps baseline) when using OpenVPN.
When it comes to installing on your router, you can only use OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec. So unless your router has a really powerful CPU, you won’t get incredible speeds. The installation itself is straightforward, thanks to guides in the support center and 24/7 live chat should you require further assistance.
IPVanish doesn’t offer a Smart DNS feature, and overall it’s not up there with the best when it comes to unblocking streaming sites. That said, we were able to use it to get into Netflix US, which has a great selection of content, so there’s definitely some streaming fun to be had with IPVanish.
IPVanish is affordable – its price starts at just $3.33 a month, and with a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can cancel your subscription if you change your mind. Note, however, that prices rise after the first billing period.
- Unblocks Netflix
- Easy to follow installation guides
- Numerous tunneling protocols
- Fast connection speeds
- No Smart DNS
4. ExpressVPN – server-loaded VPN for Playstation
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan!|
Express VPN is a great pick for playing games on your PS4 or PS5. Its gaming-optimized speeds and loads of features will not disappoint.
For performance, we tested ExpressVPN’s proprietary Lightway protocol. On average, the download speed was 231 Mbps. That’s a whopping 77% of initial connection speeds. You can use this advantage when streaming. That’s because ExpressVPN can unblock geo-restricted libraries of Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more.
With ExpressVPN, you also get a feature called MediaStreamer. That’s SmartDNS with a fancier name – it’s great for streaming on devices that don’t support VPNs. Not to mention that you get over 3000 servers in 94 countries, allowing you to find plenty of suitable options for gaming.
Plus, this VPN offers a router applet. It makes the process of setting up a VPN on your router a little easier. If you run into any trouble, you can contact ExpressVPN through a 24/7 live chat or email.
You can get ExpressVPN from $6.67/month and use it on up to 5 devices. If anything, a 30-day refund policy is available.
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Unblocks many major streaming sites
- SmartDNS for easy streaming
- 24/7 live chat and email tickets
- On the pricier side
- iOS version doesn't have a kill switch
5. CyberGhost – VPN for PS4 and PS5 with fast speeds
|Servers/countries:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE|
CyberGhost is another powerful contender when it comes to the best VPNs for PS5 and PS4. It provides you with great speeds as well as great features and price.
This VPN comes with the market-standard WireGuard protocol in its arsenal. During our tests, the download speed was 254 Mbps. That’s 84% of initial connection speeds retained. Another reason for such great performance could be its huge server network. There are over 9700 servers in 91 countries.
You can install CyberGhost on a router. There’s lots of helpful information that can guide you through the process in their support center. If anything, you can make use of their round-the-clock live chat.
While there’s no SmartDNS feature, you can still use this VPN for streaming as well. You can unblock content libraries on such streaming sites as Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and more.
You can get CyberGhost for as low as $2.19/month. You’ll be able to use it on 7 of your devices or share it with friends. A generous 45-day money-back guarantee is also applicable.
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Unblocks many major streaming sites
- Fast speeds
- 24/7 live chat
- Apple apps have fewer features
- No traffic obfuscation
How we selected and tested these VPNs
When we were looking at the best VPNs for PS4 and PS5, we had a few key features to consider.
- How easy is it to set up on a router? Since you can’t install a VPN directly onto a PlayStation, you’ll need to be able to set it up on your router. Since this can be a complicated process, we selected VPNs that have guides and tutorials to make this as simple as possible.
- Can you set it up on routers via faster tunneling protocols (Lightway, IKEv2, WireGuard)? Many standard VPN router setups use the OpenVPN tunneling protocol, and unless you have a very powerful router, this can lead to a slower connection. Finding a VPN that lets you use more efficient tunneling protocols, like WireGuard, IKEv2, and Lightway, means you’ll get better speeds.
- Speed. Gaming and streaming, the two big uses of your PlayStation, rely on fast speeds to be enjoyed best. The last thing you want is a laggy game or a buffering show. That’s why we’ve picked VPNs that are known for having a range of fast servers.
- Good for streaming? The best VPNs will always be able to unblock geo-restricted streaming sites. So wherever you are in the world, you can use your PlayStation to watch American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu Japan, and more. We also looked out for VPNs that offer the Smart DNS feature – as this lets you unblock content without having to install the VPN to your router.
- Customer support. Good customer support is vital – you never know when you’ll run into technical problems. This is particularly likely when setting up on your router.
- Price. You want good features at a fair price. Our top 5 VPNs are not only well priced, but they also offer 30-day money-back guarantees.
- Security. Staying safe from online threats is critical. We’ve recommended VPNs that can hide your IP address and have the best security settings like military-grade encryption and kill switches.
Why do I need a VPN to play on PlayStation?
Using a VPN with your PlayStation will enhance your gaming and streaming experience for a number of reasons.
- Unblock geo-restricted streaming content. You can load up apps from all your favorite streaming sites on your PS4 or PS5, but you’ll only be able to watch your country’s content library. With a VPN set up, you’ll be able to bypass geo-restrictions to watch content from any region you like! American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Sports, ESPN – the choice is yours.
- Access games first. PlayStation games are often released on different dates in different regions. A lot of big releases drop in Japan and Australia before they hit Europe or the USA. With a VPN set up, you can connect to a server location anywhere in the world and access games from that region.
- Switch up your servers. Having access to servers worldwide also means you can connect to gaming servers in different countries to play with friends overseas.
- Stay protected from DDoS hits. With a VPN service hiding your IP address, you’ll never have to worry about DDoS attacks. DDoS attacks are the last thing a gamer wants. They cause slow speeds and all-out crashes, which will get in the way of a good gaming session.
How to set up a VPN on a PlayStation console
You can't set up a VPN directly. Unlike a computer or smartphone, PlayStations don’t have native VPN apps you can install directly onto the console. But there are still ways to get all of the benefits of a VPN on your PS4 or PS5 – you’ll just need to try out a few alternative methods. Let’s take a look at your options.
Setting up a VPN on a router
Setting up a VPN directly on your router is useful as every device that goes through your network will automatically get the benefits of the VPN.
But this router installation can be a little tricky, and you’ll have to follow the steps quite carefully to avoid damaging your router. You’ll also find that the actual process can vary for different VPNs. Thankfully, all the VPNs on this list offer dedicated tutorials that will guide you through the installation process step-by-step.
For specific instructions, look on the support page of your chosen VPN service. However, generally, the process involves:
- Learning the router model and firmware type
- Getting your router’s IP address
- Accessing your router’s configuration settings
- Flashing your router with firmware that supports VPN (if necessary)
- Filling in the server details of your chosen VPN
As mentioned, our top-rated VPNs have detailed guides to get you through the process as easily as possible.
Routing traffic through Smart DNS
The instructions for setting up a VPN that offers Smart DNS will be somewhat different for each VPN provider. Here's what it might look like:
- Install your chosen VPN. We recommend NordVPN
- Open up the VPN’s dashboard, and register your IP address under either the Smart DNS or DNS settings options
- You should now get a DNS code – note it down
- Switch on your PS5, go into Settings > Network > Custom
- Select either Wi-Fi or LAN cable, depending on how your PlayStation is connected to the internet
- Select Automatic > Do Not Specify > Manual
- Enter the DNS codes you noted down earlier
- Go back to Automatic > Do Not Use, and hit Test Your Internet Connection
- Restart your PS4 or PS5
- You should now be good to go! Open up a streaming app on your PlayStation to find a whole new library of content that you wouldn’t have been able to see before
You can also share a VPN connection by essentially turning your computer into a virtual router and connecting your console to your computer over Wi-Fi (or an ethernet cable – an ethernet connection is typically faster).
It’s worth noting that while this method might be a bit easier than installing directly to your router, the VPN’s performance will be considerably worse.
Can I use a free VPN for PS4/PS5?
You could certainly try to use a free VPN with your PS4/PS5, but while you might think you’re saving money, it may not be the bargain you think it is.
There are two types of free VPN, and they don’t really compare to a paid VPN for a number of reasons.
Fully free VPNs are usually very poor features-wise. They’re slow, aren’t good for unblocking content, don’t have many servers, and they certainly won’t be easy to install on a router – if you can do that at all. But even if you could somehow get a free VPN working on your console, there are even more reasons to avoid them.
A VPN that doesn’t charge any money from its users still has to make money somehow – usually from nefarious methods like selling your personal data to third parties, as well as filling their apps with ads. We’ve even heard that some free VPNs have been found to be hiding malware.
Alternatively, you could try a freemium VPN, like Windscribe, which offers a 10GB data cap each month. This is a scaled-down version of a paid VPN. You’ll get a provider you can trust, but you’ll still be lacking features and will have restrictions and data caps getting in your way - the last thing you want when you’re gaming and streaming content.
After all, the best option you can go for is a premium VPN such as NordVPN. With it, you receive a top-notch suite of security features that you can try out risk-free using NordVPN’s free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
All in all, you’ll get a lot more out of your PS4 or PS5 if you connect it to a VPN service. Aside from the entertainment benefits, a good VPN like NordVPN also offers anonymity and security. You can get around ISP throttling, hide your IP address, and protect yourself from cyber threats like malware.
good VPN like NordVPN also offers anonymity and security.
So whether you want to unblock a world of streaming content or just get a fast and secure connection for your gaming needs, a VPN is really worth it. You won't have to break the bank either, as the majority are very affordable.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Which VPN is best for PS5 and PS4?
NordVPN is our recommendation as the best VPN for PS5 and PS4. Secure and reliable – NordVPN does everything you need, including unblocking all the big streaming sites and giving you a fast connection for lag-free gaming. It’s got a range of features, including SmartPlay for streaming and the NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Can I use VPN on PS5?
Yes. You can use a VPN on PS5, but you can’t install it directly on the console. You’ll need to install the VPN on your router so that the PS5 gets connected through your Wi-Fi. This can be tricky to set up, but the best VPNs, like NordVPN, will help you with guides and tutorials.
Does changing DNS help PS4?
No. It’s not a great idea to change your DNS unless you have some sort of network issue, as it won’t really offer any benefits to speed or gaming. If you want easy access to geo-blocked streaming content, you can use a SmartDNS with a VPN like NordVPN.
Will a VPN improve my speeds when gaming?
You might be able to get a lower ping if you connect to a VPN server that is really close to the game's server, but generally, using a VPN won’t make a big improvement on your gaming speeds unless your ISP is currently throttling your connection.