Best Magento hosting: providers for a powerful eCommerce content management system hosting
In this article, I’ll cover the 5 best Magento hosting providers in the market, as well as what to consider when you’re choosing a host for your online store.
If you’re building an online store, you’ll hear certain names popping up again and again. Magento, an open-source content management system built for eCommerce exclusively, is one of those names.
In simple terms, Magento is a highly-customizable and feature-rich eCommerce solution that’s ideal for anyone to build an online store – small or big.
Now, to run Magento, you’ll need hosting services. Finding a host that supports Magento is not difficult – many providers support this CMS. However, you want good, not just satisfactory services.
To find such, you should consider a few things like:
- Latest software and hardware solutions,
- Generous server resources for a reasonable price,
- Strong security features,
- Good performance.
Based on these factors, I’ve researched, compared, and tested all the Magento providers out there to find the ones that are truly worth your attention. Below are the providers that have successfully fulfilled my requirements.
Best Magento hosting: ranked
- Hostinger – best Magento hosting overall
- Liquid Web – premium fully managed Magento hosting
- ScalaHosting – affordable cloud Magento hosting
- A2 Hosting – best performance-focused Magento web hosting
- InMotion Hosting – best beginner-friendly Magento hosting
If you wish to know a little more on what to look for when picking a host for Magento hosting, check out the list of factors at the end.
|Features||SSL, domain, email accounts, CDN, dedicated IP, daily backups, firewall, caching, hPanel|
|Best for||Powerful and affordable Magento hosting|
Hostinger offers one of the cheapest Magento hosting services in the market. From just $9.99/mo, you get a powerful and resource-rich cloud hosting that is perfect for Magento hosting. Plus, Hostinger is also extremely easy to use and has excellent performance.
Hostinger supports Magento only on its cloud server plans, and here’s what you can expect:
- Powerful plans with dedicated resources for your online store, with all essentials, already included. Even its entry plan already comes with 200GB SSD storage, 3GB RAM, and 2 CPUs in addition to tons of freebies such as email accounts, SSL certificate, domain, and website migration.
- For easy installation, Hostinger offers an auto-installer for Magento (v2 available), which you can find in your hPanel.
- Speaking of ease of use, Hostinger’s cloud hosting is fully-managed. Hence, you can leave the backend to the provider and focus on growing your store.
- Plenty of performance-boosting features such as LiteSpeed Web Server, caching, and CDN. Plus, you can choose from 5 different data centers located in the USA, UK, Singapore, Lithuania, and the Netherlands.
- Various security measures like a free SSL, automated daily backups, dedicated IP, and firewalls.
Overall, Hostinger justifies its top spot on this list by providing powerful and cheap Magento hosting that offers plenty of resources and performance-enhancing features. To know more about the provider, check out our Hostinger review.
Extremely reliable and fast, Hostinger’s performance is one of the best out there.
Tested and monitored for around a month, my site maintained an impeccable 100% uptime throughout.
Sure, I don’t expect much downtime since it isn’t all that common with cloud hosting but the 0 outages are still very much appreciated. And, its 99.9% uptime guarantee will provide some very-needed peace of mind as well.
As for response times, Hostinger aced it, too. The provider was quite consistent, and its response time averaged at a fast 476ms.
Also, since Hostinger lets you choose among 5 different data centers all over the world, your target audience should see similarly fast results wherever they’re based.
In brief, Hostinger’s many speed optimization tools seem to pay off extremely well. Remarkably reliable and fast – its performance is everything you want to see in a host.
Hostinger pricing for Magento hosting
For Magento, you can choose from Hostinger’s 3 cloud hosting plans. They cost between $9.99/mo to $69.99/mo.
All 3 plans let you host 300 websites and include unlimited bandwidth and databases, dedicated resources as well as free emails, an SSL certificate for a year, a domain, dedicated IP, CDN, and daily backups.
In terms of what differs, the plans include different amounts of resources: from 2 to 6 CPU cores, 200 to 300 GB storage, and 3 to 12 GB RAM.
For the best value, check out the Professional plan for your resource-intensive Magento store. By forking out an extra $9/mo, you get an additional 50GB storage as well as twice as much RAM and CPUs as what you’d get with Startup. To reserve the lowest monthly rates, opt for a 48-month billing cycle.
- Cheap managed cloud hosting from just $9.99/mo
- Auto-installer for Magento
- 5 server locations
- Magento only available on cloud hosting
- Long billing cycle for the cheapest price
2. Liquid Web
|Features||Dedicated IP, SSL, DDoS protection, daily backups, firewall, server monitoring, choices of the control panel|
|Best for||Growing Magento sites looking for reliability and security|
A premium provider, Liquid Webs offers Magento enterprise hosting on VPS servers catering to large stores. The provider is known for offering easy management that still allows you full control over your store. Additionally, its top-notch support, solid performance, and easy scalability are a huge pull, too.
Liquid Web supports Magento on its managed VPS, private servers, and its Nexcess Magento Cloud platform. The most popular option for most eCommerce store owners is its VPS, which offers:
- A fully-managed platform with a control panel. Here, server management technicalities are taken care of by the host, but you still retain a high level of control with full root access. More so, you can pick InterWorx, Plesk Web Pro, or cPanel Admin as a preferred control panel free of charge.
- Fast high-quality support where it pledges to reply to live chats within 59 seconds. As an add-on, the support team also runs PCI-compliance scanning that includes a detailed report with an action plan for improvement.
- The host comes with strong security features as it includes all the necessities like a free SSL, DDoS protection, automatic daily backups, firewall, and server monitoring.
- Liquid Web comes with reliable and fast performance. You can expect only the best performance as the host gives a 100% uptime guarantee. Additionally, the provider also allows users to choose from 3 data centers located in the US and Europe.
In short, Liquid Web is a powerful, easy-to-use, reliable, and secure web hosting solution that is great for Magento hosting. To explore the host in more detail, check out our Liquid Web review.
Liquid Web performance
True to its reputation as one of the best Magento hosting providers, Liquid Web has excellent uptime and solid response times.
To start, it’s one of the few providers in the market that offers a 100% uptime guarantee, and it absolutely lives up to it. My site maintained a 100% uptime throughout the entire observation period.
I must note that this 100% uptime guarantee does not include pre-planned maintenance. However, if your site is down due to unforeseen circumstances, Liquid Web is obliged to compensate you.
As for speed, Liquid Web’s response time evened out at 521ms, which isn’t blazing fast. However, this is an empty server that can be optimized for faster performance results.
In terms of performance, Liquid Web is a mix of excellence and good. The provider is extremely reliable, but its response times are closer to average than lightning-fast.
Liquid Web pricing for Magento hosting
Liquid Web has 4 VPS plans for Magento, with prices between $25.00/mo and $105.00/mo. Although Liquid Web supports Magento hosting with its other hosting types, VPS hosting is the most preferred one among online store owners due to its power and price.
All 4 VPS plans come with 10TB bandwidth, dedicated IP, standard security features, and choices of the control panel: cPanel, InterWorx, and Plesk.
Talking about the plan-specific resources, they vary from 2 to 8 vCPU cores, 40 to 200 GB disk space, and 2 to 16 GB RAM.
If you’re looking for a powerful Magento hosting for a medium-sized growing online store, give the 4 GB RAM plan a look. For just $15 extra, you get more than double the storage and power than you would with a 2 GB RAM plan. For the best price, opt for the 24-month billing option.
- Fully-managed VPS with root access
- Fast and knowledgeable customer support
- Reliable 100% uptime guarantee
- Premium pricing
- Advanced features could be too overwhelming for beginners
|Features||SSL, domain, email accounts, daily automatic backups, dedicated IP, SShield, firewall, malware scans|
|Best for||An affordable cloud VPS Magento hosting|
ScalaHosting snagged a spot on this list by offering business owners an affordable security-focused fully-managed VPS hosting solution for Magento. The host is a powerful and easy to manage solution that will make eCommerce hosting comprehensive for anyone – beginners and advanced users.
Here’s what you can expect from ScalaHosting’s VPS plans:
- Easy to use managed VPS with an intuitive control panel (SPanel) and simple one-click Magento installation. The ease of use in every step makes it ideal even for those without much technical skills. Plus, it’s also ideal for those who want a no-fuss solution as ScalaHosting will take care of all the upkeep and maintenance – leaving you to focus on growing your store.
- ScalaHosting offers affordable plans with all the necessities like a free SSL, a custom domain, and email accounts. All that for just $14.95/mo.
- All the essentials to build your online store are provided. This includes free features such as a domain for a year, an SSL certificate, and unlimited email accounts.
- Strong security measures right out of the box. Among the measures included are automatic daily and on-demand backups, SShield cybersecurity protection, firewalls, dedicated IP, and malware scans and removal.
Overall, ScalaHosting is an affordable and secure VPS hosting solution that is very well suited for Magento hosting. To get more details about the provider, visit our ScalaHosting review.
When it comes to performance, ScalaHosting is very reliable and just as fast.
The provider maintained a flawless 100% uptime, proving its reliability and far exceeding its market standard 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Of course, it’d be silly and unreasonable to expect the provider to maintain this result forever. Nevertheless, it’s still nice to see 0 outages and 0 downtime.
Speedwise, ScalaHosting is very fast. Its average response time came up to only 443ms. Keep in mind that this is an empty cloud VPS server that can be optimized for even better performance results.
More so, you can choose to host your site either in Texas (US), New York (US), or Bulgaria (EU) data center. For best performance results, choose the one closest to your target audience.
Amazingly reliable and very fast, ScalaHosting ticks all the right boxes when it comes to performance.
ScalaHosting pricing for Magento hosting
ScalaHosting offers 4 managed cloud VPS plans with prices ranging from $14.95/mo to $152.95/mo. In addition to the 4 standard plans, you can also build a custom one to fit your specific needs.
In any case, all the VPS plans come with 24/7 management, unmetered bandwidth, Softaculous one-click installer, daily automatic backups, dedicated IP, as well as a domain and an SSL certificate.
As is typical, you’ll see different amounts of server resources offered. Based on the plan, they range from 1 to 8 CPUs, 50 to 320 GB storage, and 2 to 16 GB RAM.
If you’re on a tight budget and have a smaller Magento store, ScalaHosting’s Start plan is your best bet. Commit to a 36-month subscription, and you can get fully-managed services for just $14.95/mo.
- Affordable fully-managed VPS from $14.95/mo
- Easy scalability with plenty of configuration options
- Comprehensive security features
- Long commitment period for the cheapest plan
- High renewal rates
4. A2 Hosting
|Features||SSL, email addresses, DDoS protection, dedicated IP, firewall, daily backups, HackScan protection|
|Best for||Smaller Magento sites looking for a powerful and secure shared hosting|
Ease of use, strong focus on performance, and scalability – if these attractive features are what you prioritize in your search for a Magento host, A2 Hosting is a very good candidate. Plus, the provider’s Magento hosting pricing is very affordable, too.
A2 Hosting has quite a few hosting options that support Magento. Its VPS and dedicated hosting platforms are the better options for large stores. But, for most eCommerce stores, its shared hosting Turbo plans would get the job done.
Here’s what Turbo plans entail:
- Softaculous one-click Magento installation for a quick and simple way to get started as well as complete ease of use with cPanel for management.
- Strong focus on performance with an abundance of speed-enhancing features. This includes LiteSpeed Web Server, LiteMage caching, A2 Optimized software, and HTTP/3. Additionally, you can choose from 4 different server location options – Michigan, Arizona, Amsterdam, or Singapore.
- A2 Hosting takes security seriously. Both Turbo plans come with a free SSL, DDoS protection, dedicated IP, firewall, automated daily backups, 2-factor authentication, and a malware/vulnerability detection and patching tool.
- The host offers affordable scalability options, like unmanaged VPS hosting for just $4.99/mo, for when your online store outgrows the shared plans.
As a whole, A2 Hosting is a performance-oriented shared hosting provider that packs enough power to host a small-to-medium-sized Magento site. Curious to know more, check out our A2 Hosting review.
A2 Hosting performance
I’d say that A2 Hosting’s performance is very much up to snuff, with the host being very reliable and reasonably fast.
Monitored over 2 months, A2 Hosting impressively maintained a 99.99% uptime with only 4 outages totaling 7 minutes of downtime. That’s far better than the industry-standard 99.9% uptime guarantee that A2 Hosting offers.
As for average response times, it wasn’t exactly the fastest at 597ms, but it’s still a touch better than the industry average of 600ms. Plus, the response times remained consistent throughout the 2 months, which speaks volumes about A2 Hosting’s server health and resource allocation.
Now talking about server locations, you can choose from 4 locations – Michigan (US), Arizona (US), Amsterdam (Netherlands), and Singapore (Singapore). For the best user experience and good performance results, pick the one closest to your audience.
Overall, A2 Hosting’s performance is a win in my book. It’s extremely reliable, and while its speed isn’t going to knock your socks off, it’s still very much good enough for your Magento store.
A2 Hosting pricing for Magento hosting
A2 Hosting’s 2 Turbo shared hosting plans, Turbo Boost ($6.99/mo) and Turbo Max ($12.99/mo), which are very popular among Magento store owners. Beyond that, the provider also offers other scalability options, including VPS and dedicated hosting for Magento.
But, for now, let’s focus on A2 Hosting most in-demand plans for Magento: the 2 Turbo shared hosting plans.
Both Turbo plans can host unlimited websites and come with unlimited storage, transfer, and email addresses, an SSL, DDoS protection, dedicated IP, firewall, automated daily backups, 2-factor authentication, and Perpetual Security and HackScan Protection. More so, they’re hosted on the faster Turbo servers.
The main difference between the two lies in the price point and server power.
For most Magento store owners, Turbo Boost is the plan that offers better value. At $6 cheaper per month, it offers pretty much the same thing as the more expensive Turbo Max. To secure the lowest monthly rates, pick a 36-month billing cycle.
- Very generous resources at competitive prices
- Easy scalability with plenty of upgrade options
- Provides wide-ranging performance-boosting tools
- Long commitment period to get the cheapest pricing
- No free domain
5. InMotion Hosting
|Features||SSL, domain, email accounts, cPanel & WHM, 3 dedicated IPs, DDoS protection|
|Best for||Fully managed and easy to use VPS hosting|
For beginners and business owners that want no-fuss Magento managed hosting, InMotion Hosting is a very sound option. The provider covers all the essentials you need for your online store as well as offers plenty of additional features to simplify setup and management. Plus, its scalability also means that you can easily upgrade when the need arises.
For Magento hosting, InMotion Hosting recommends that you go for its managed VPS plans. But, if your online store needs more, the provider also has dedicated servers.
In any case, here are some key features of InMotion Hosting’s managed VPS packages:
- One-click Magento installation for a fast and fail-proof setup.
- InMotion Hosting includes a tool called Web Host Manager that allows you to slice your VPS resources even more to a pair (or more) of clean-cut slices so you could run multiple online stores on a preferred amount of resources.
- For simple website management, all managed VPS plans come with a cPanel included.
- Its plans come with all the essentials you need for an online business. This includes a free domain for a year, an SSL certificate, and emails.
- The host includes various eCommerce optimizations, including ensuring that its servers are primed for Magento PCI compliant hosting.
Simply put, InMotion Hosting puts simplicity at the forefront. It offers powerful VPS solutions that are easy to set up and manage. If you wish to know more about the host, visit our full InMotion Hosting review.
InMotion Hosting performance
In terms of performance, InMotion Hosting showed perfect reliability and pretty decent speed.
In around 2 weeks of monitoring, the host kept a perfect 100% uptime – far surpassing its 99.9% guarantee. That’s definitely an entry in the win column.
In terms of speed, the host demonstrated an average response time of 585ms. While this is not the speed of light, it is a bare server, which can be optimized to perform much better.
However, I must note that the host would be best for US audiences as its servers are located in the US exclusively.
Overall, InMotion Hosting proves that it’s a trooper when it comes to reliability. Its response time, however, could use some improvements.
InMotion Hosting pricing for Magento hosting
InMotion Hosting has 4 VPS plans that are ideal for Magento hosting. Their prices range from $17.99/mo to $72.99/mo.
All 4 plans include unlimited bandwidth, free domain and SSL certificate, free server setup, cPanel & WHM, 3 dedicated IPs, and DDoS protection.
And, of course, there will be different amounts of server resources within each plan. Depending on the hosting plan, you can expect from 2 to 8 CPU cores, 45 to 140 GB storage, and 2 to 8 GB RAM.
For an average-sized online shop, consider the 4 GB RAM plan. It comes with pretty generous storage and packs enough power for small-to-medium-sized eCommerce sites. To save some serious cash with InMotion Hosting’s introductory discount, opt for its longest billing period of 3 years.
- One-click installation for Magento
- Free setup services
- cPanel included in its plans
- Long billing cycle
- Servers are only in the USA
Best Magento hosting: final recommendations
It’s no surprise that plenty of providers claim that to offer the best Magento hosting. But, truth is, only a select few are actually optimized for the CMS. And, it’s a tough job trying to find the right one for your store.
So, here’s a quick recap of each of the top Magento web hosting provider’s key strengths:
- Hostinger is one of the cheapest options for Magento hosting, with feature-rich robust plans and top-notch performance.
- Liquid Web is a premium Magento hosting provider that offers easy scalability, fast support, and remarkable reliability.
- ScalaHosting delivers affordable, fully managed VPS Magento hosting with excellent security coverage.
- A2 Hosting offers generous shared hosting packages with increased server power for Magento hosting.
- InMotion Hosting simplistic and powerful Magento solution – ideal for busy online store owners and beginners.
How to pick the best Magento hosting provider?
Finding a good web hosting service provider for Magento hosting is not too hard. You just have to make sure that the provider is compatible with this particular CMS. More so, it should offer up-to-date software and hardware, have a decent variety of server locations and security features, as well as offer PCI compliance, and be easily scalable.
Before picking a provider and its best-looking plan, check whether the host actually supports Magento. Sure, Magento is a very popular CMS, but that doesn’t mean that all providers offer it.
More so, often, providers offer it only with its specific hosting types like VPS hosting. In our list, only A2 Hosting does offer Magento hosting on its shared plans.
Magento 2 hosting requirements for hardware and software
To get the best performance results and smoothest management experience, opt for Magento 2. To effectively host that, you'll need Magento Open Source 2.4.5 and the latest version of:
- Linux – X86-64
- Apache – 2.4
- NGINX – 1.8
- MySQL – 8.0
- PHP – 8.0
Additionally, Magento hogs resources. So, check which of the provider’s plans can handle your site’s number of products, monthly visitors, and more. Be sure to account for traffic spikes, too.
The provider’s server locations should be chosen according to your target audience’s location. The closer the origin server is to your clients, the faster the website’s load time is. For instance, if your audiences are mostly in Europe, you want Magento hosting with Europe-based servers to reduce latency.
In turn, the faster website helps with a better user experience and ranking on the search engine’s result page, which could translate to conversion.
Ideally, you want a very secure web hosting provider with a full stack of security features – especially since you’re running an online store that handles sensitive information.
- SSL certificates,
- Firewalls, preferably Web Application Firewall (WAF),
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack protection,
- Automated daily backups,
- Malware scanning,
- Server security monitoring.
Other measures like IP whitelisting, two-factor authentication, and security patches are extremely handy, too. If you’re looking for a secure web hosting solution, Liquid Web, ScalaHosting, or A2 Hosting are among the best for the job.
Determine if your host is Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliant. Full PCI compliance is necessary for your store to process credit card payments securely. InMotion Hosting and Liquid Web are a few providers that include PCI.
Otherwise, you’ll need to look into a third-party payment provider.
Your store should be able to scale easily as it grows. While shared hosting might make sense for a small store, you’ll need Magento VPS or dedicated hosting as your eCommerce store sees more traffic.
Ensure that the host has a flexible infrastructure to easily accommodate and facilitate this growth.
Best Magento hosting FAQs
Which hosting is best for Magento 2?
The best hosting for Magento 2 is VPS or Cloud hosting. Or dedicated hosting for bigger stores with plenty of products and high traffic. Ultimately, these types of hosting offer the resources you need to fully maximize and optimize the CMS.
What is the fastest Magento hosting?
The fastest web hosting provider that supports Magento is ScalaHosting. The host is very reliable with 100% uptime and a very fast 443ms average response time.
What is the best Magento PCI compliant hosting?
The best Magento PCI-compliant hosting service could be either Liquid Web or InMotion Hosting. Both providers made sure that their servers are primed for PCI. More so, customer support is trained to help with any inquiries you may have on the topic.
Can Magento run on shared hosting?
Yes, Magento can run on shared hosting if you have a smaller online store. However, if your store is on the bigger side, shared hosting’s limited resources could lead to performance issues.
Is Magento free with GoDaddy?
Yes, Magento is free with GoDaddy since the software is available for free. However, Magento hosting won't be entirely free as you'll have to pay for GoDaddy's hosting services.
What is the difference between Magento and WordPress?
The difference between Magento and WordPress is that the former is a CMS built specifically to be used as an eCommerce platform. Meanwhile, WordPress is a multi-purpose CMS and doesn’t come with built-in eCommerce features.
Is there free hosting for Magento?
While there are a few reasonably good free web hosting providers out there, it is strongly advised against hosting a Magento site on them. eCommerce sites require a lot of resources and security, which free hosts often lack.
Is Magento hosted?
Magento offers Magento Commerce – a Platform as a Service Solution that comes with hosting and all the necessary features out of the box. However, for more resources and control over your site, you’ll need a web hosting provider.