How to watch Indian channels in the USA in 2022
From the excitement of Bollywood to addictive long-running soaps, India's entertainment industry is worth billions and loved around the world. Indian TV channels are a great place to watch a lot of this entertainment, but what if you’re not in India? Well, if you’re trying to watch Indian TV channels from the USA, you’ll probably find that you’re geo-blocked. International licensing restrictions mean some content can only be accessed in certain countries.
But wait, we have a solution that can bypass geo-blocks - a VPN. A VPN can completely change your IP address so that when you visit an Indian TV channel’s site or app, it will think you’re in India and give you full access!
So read on, and we’ll tell you all about VPNs, the best VPNs to use, and everything else you need to know to watch Indian channels in the USA in 2022.
Watch Indian channels in the USA with VPN - a short guide
- Choose a VPN that has servers in India. We suggest NordVPN.
- Install the VPN app on your chosen device.
- Launch the VPN and connect to an Indian server.
- Visit the Indian channel of your choice and start watching!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Indian channels?
Many of the best Indian TV channels are only available to watch in India. That is because movies and shows are geo-blocked due to distribution rights and licensing restrictions. So if you attempt to watch from overseas, you’ll get an error message saying you don’t have access.
That can be annoying if you live in America and are a big fan of Indian entertainment, or maybe you live in India but are traveling - you won’t be able to keep up with your favorites. Indian channels figure out your location by your IP address - it will show where you are when you use an app or visit a website.
That is where a VPN comes in. One of the main features of a VPN is multiple international servers. By connecting to an overseas country, you’ll get a new IP address - so use a VPN to connect to an Indian server, and suddenly all those TV channels will think you’re in India!
But which VPNs are best for the job? It’s a crowded market, and some options are better than others, so to help you out, we’ve done all the tests and research needed to find the best VPNs for watching Indian channels in America, and here they are.
Best VPNs to watch Indian channels
Indian servers, reliable connections, good streaming speeds, watertight security, and privacy - these are just some of the features you need when using a VPN to watch Indian TV in America.
With so many VPNs to choose from, it’s not easy to find the right option - but we’ve tested the following three VPNs, and not only do they tick off all the basics, they offer a lot more too.
Here’s what you can expect from the best VPNs to watch Indian channels.
1. NordVPN - Best overall VPN for unblocking Indian channels in the USA
|Servers/countries:||5400 servers in 60 countries|
|Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 60% OFF! 🔥|
NordVPN is our top-rated choice for watching Indian TV channels in the USA.
Its all-star suite of features includes over 5400 servers - with around 30 located in India. It’s perfect for unblocking Indian TV channels whether you’re in the USA or anywhere else.
That range of servers means it is also ideal for unblocking other streaming sites, be it Netflix US, Hulu Japan, or BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN also delivers fast connection speeds, an industry-leading kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, SmartPlay for simple streaming, and a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can essentially try it out for free.
If you think a premium service like NordVPN will cost a bomb, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to learn you can subscribe for just $3.29 a month. You can even save extra money by checking out our special NordVPN coupon codes for additional discounts.
- Unblocks Indian TV
- Fast connections
- Many Indian servers
- Secure and private
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No router app
2. Surfshark - best for unblocking Indian channels on multiple devices
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!🔥|
Surfshark is another VPN that offers all the features you need to unblock Indian channels in the US.
With over 3200 global servers and 3 located in India, Surfshark consistently gets around geo-blocks of Indian channels and many other big streaming sites, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
Surfshark does offer something NordVPN doesn’t - unlimited simultaneous connections. That means you can use the VPN on as many devices as you need to! Your whole household can use Surfshark at the same time.
Combine that with fast connections, Smart DNS, cheap subscription rates, and military-grade encryption, and you’ll see why Surfshark is one of the best VPNs you can get.
Surfshark can cost as little as $2.30 a month, in terms of value, it’s hard to beat. On top of that, you can save even more with our Surshark coupon codes - check them out today.
- Consistently unblocks Indian TV
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Very fast VPN connections
- A 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try for free
- Excellent security and privacy
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish - reliable all-rounder for unblocking Indian TV
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50+ countries|
|Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus!🔥|
An underrated gem, IPVanish is our third and final choice for best VPNs for unblocking Indian TV channels.
IPVanish is great for watching Indian TV. It’s got over 2000 global servers, with 8 located in India. It can also bypass Indian content blocks and other global content streaming services.
Aside from that, IPVanish is fast, private, and secure. You can enjoy lag-free streaming, end-to-end encryption, and an excellent kill switch that will kill your connection the instant your VPN drops out.
You can sign up to IPVanish from just $3.99 a month, a great price for such a premium VPN. What’s more, you can even get more discounts by using our exclusive IPVanish coupon codes.
- Consistently bypasses Indian TV geo-blocks
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast, reliable, connections
- End-to-end encryption
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- US-based, so could be small privacy concerns
Why are Indian channels restricted in the USA?
International TV shows and channels often have strict licensing restrictions that prohibit where they can and can’t be broadcast. That’s why streaming services often have different content libraries across regions, and why popular TV channels are only available to be viewed in their specific countries.
If you try to access these TV channels from the US, you’ll be geo-blocked due to your IP address. Simply put, when you try to access an Indian TV site like Voot from the US, you’ll be faced with an error screen telling you you don’t have access. Luckily, there’s a quick and easy solution.
With a VPN set up on your laptop, PC, smartphone, or even router, you can change your IP address and make any website think you’re actually in India, and this will give you access to all that site’s content. Hello VPN, goodbye geo-block.
How to watch Indian channels on your device
Watching Indian TV channels on your various devices shouldn’t be a problem - providing you’ve got a VPN set up. However, the process might be a bit different depending on whether you’re on a PC or smartphone. Just follow my simple step-by-step guides and you'll be watching Indian entertainment in no time.
Or, if you’re looking for even more information on the best VPNs for different devices, check our in-depth guides that will instruct you through the entire process:
- VPNs for Windows - top-notch VPNs for Windows to watch Indian channels
- VPNs for Mac - the most reliable VPNs for Mac
- VPNs for Android - unblock Indian channels with the best VPNs for Android
- VPNs for iOS - pick from top-tier VPNs for iPhone
Watch Indian channels on a PC
Whether you’re using a Windows PC or an Apple Mac, with the help of a VPN you can unblock Indian TV channels from anywhere in the world in moments. Here’s what you need to do.
- Pick a VPN that you know will unblock Indian TV. NordVPN has over 30 servers in India.
- Download NordVPN to your PC, install the app, and launch it when ready.
- Now, connect to a server in India.
- You’re now all set to watch Indian TV on your PC!
Watch Indian channels on a smartphone
If you love watching content on your smartphone, you’ll be happy to know you can use a VPN on both iOS and Android devices. Just follow these quick steps to unblock Indian TV.
- Choose a VPN that works on smartphones. NordVPN has excellent apps for both Android and iPhone.
- Download the VPN app from your device’s app store.
- Launch the app, set up your account, and connect to an Indian server.
- Now you can watch Indian TV on your mobile device!
How to watch Indian channels on streaming devices
Streaming devices are popular methods of watching movies, shows, and content, including Indian TV channels. You can use a VPN on streaming platforms to get past geo-blocks. But there are different methods for different services. Let’s take a look at the easy steps for popular streaming devices.
If simple steps are not enough, you can always check our detailed guides on using VPNs for different devices:
- VPNs for Roku - the most reliable VPNs for Roku
- VPNs for Apple TV - stream Indian channels using the best VPNs for Apple TV
- VPNs for Firestick - top-notch VPNs for Firestick
- VPNs for Kodi - use top-rated VPNs for Kodi to stream Indian channels
Stream Indian channels on Roku
If you want to unblock Indian TV channels on Roku, you’ll need to use the router method, as Roku doesn’t support direct VPN downloads. But that’s OK because it’s still just a case of a few quick steps.
- Download a VPN that connects to routers. We suggest you use NordVPN for this.
- Connect the VON up to your router, so all your devices on the network can go through the VPN.
- Launch the VPN and get a new IP address on an Indian server.
- Open Roku, select the Indian TV channel you want to watch, and enjoy the shows!
Stream Indian channels on Apple TV
Apple TV offers all sorts of content and apps, including Indian streamers and TV channels. To unblock them from anywhere in the world, you’ll need to connect a VPN to your router. Just follow these steps.
- Find a VPN that you know works with routers. NordVPN does.
- Set up the VPN to connect to your router.
- Once you’ve completed the setup process, connect to an Indian server.
- Head into Apple TV, pick an Indian content app, and get watching!
Stream Indian channels on Amazon Firestick
Amazon Firestick is another popular streaming device that gets you connected to a world of great content. Want to expand that world to include Indian TV entertainment? Here’s all you need to do.
- Launch Firestick and find a VPN app to download, like NordVPN.
- Setup the VPN and connect to a server in India.
- Now you’re good to enjoy all of Firestick’s Indian content.
Stream Indian channels on Kodi
Kodi is a good source of Indian content, and even though you can’t download a VPN directly, you can connect via a router.
- Download a VPN that’s compatible with routers. NordVPN is our top choice.
- Install the VPN app on your router.
- Go through the server list and connect to one in India.
- Switch on Kodi, find some freshly unblocked Indian TV, and start watching!
You can find more info on connecting a VPN to your streaming stick in our in-depth guides:
What Indian TV channels can you watch in the USA?
There are many superb Indian channels to choose from. You can catch up on Bollywood, soaps, family entertainment shows, and much more. Just make sure you have a VPN set up, and you won’t get any annoying error messages when you try to access the channels online!
Streaming services like SonyLIV are another great source of Indian entertainment content. The big-name streamers will have Indian versions, and the country may even offer some of its own. Remember, they will likely be geo-restricted, so make sure your VPN is up and running so you can evade the blocks and watch whatever you like from wherever you are.
Here are some Indian TV channels you might want to check out:
|Streaming service||Type of entertainment||Best VPN to use|
|Netflix India||Range of global movies, drama, comedy, original Indian programming, and more||NordVPN|
|Hotstar||Bollywood blockbusters Indian Premier League Cricket, much more||Surfshark VPN|
|Amazon Prime Video India||International movies, comedy, drama, Amazon Originals, and more||NordVPN|
|Zee5 TV||Wide range of Indian entertainment channels||NordVPN|
|Voot||Viacom’s India channels including MTV, and Nickelodeon||Surfshark VPN|
|Alt BalajiStar Plus||India’s biggest content||NordVPN|
Best Indian shows and movies you can watch
From thrilling crime shows to comedy and romance, Indian TV shows cover the full spectrum of entertainment. Here’s a selection of India's best shows for you to stream.
|Show||Where to stream|
|Criminal Justice - Mumbai crime drama||Hotstar|
|Made In Heaven - relationship drama||Amazon Prime Video India|
|Bigg Boss Telugu - reality show||Hotstar|
|Ghoul - dystopian horror thriller||Netflix India|
|Delhi Crime - true crime dramatization||Netflix India|
|Mumbai Diaries - medical drama||Amazon Prime Video India|
How to watch Indian channels online from anywhere
It’s not only US viewers who love Indian TV - Bollywood is adored everywhere! So don’t worry if you’re in the US, UK, Australia, Canada - or anywhere else! You can still enjoy the best Indian entertainment and bypass all geo-blocks with a VPN. This is all you need to do:
- Choose a VPN that is known to have servers in India. NordVPN has over 30 servers located around India.
- Download the VPN app to your device and create an account.
- Find and connect to a server in India.
- Now you can watch Indian TV, so head to Hotstar, Colours, or any other Indian channel and enjoy!
Using a VPN but still can’t access Indian TV channels?
We’ve made sure to recommend VPNs that are proven to offer the best possible service. But we all know even premium tech can have the odd bug or two. If you find your VPN isn’t working when you’re trying to watch Indian TV, the reason could be:
- You’ve chosen an incorrect VPN server
- Your VPN can’t bypass the geo-blocks
- Your cookies are revealing your actual location
- Your operating system might need an update
Try these troubleshooting tips to fix the issue.
- Connect to a different server
- Restart your VPN
- Update your operating system
- Contact your VPN's help team
If you still run into problems, it might be worth trying a different VPN. We’ve suggested VPNs that all include 30-day money-back guarantees, which means you can try them out to make sure they do what you need from them before having to commit to a full subscription. So, if one doesn’t work, you try out another.
Can you watch Indian TV channels online with a free VPN?
Using a free VPN to watch Indian TV channels sounds like a great idea, but in reality, it’s something you should avoid. Free VPNs lack reliable servers, have limited features, and bombard you with ads. In a worst-case scenario, free VPNs can even infect your device with malware. Free doesn’t sound quite as good now, does it?
Another thing to consider is that most top VPNs essentially allow you to try them out for free anyway. NordVPN, Surfshark, and IPVanish offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test them out to see if you like using their apps without making a financial commitment.
Here’s a quick overview of their features and subscription costs.
- NordVPN - best-in-class features, servers around the world, proven to bypass content geo-blocks. Sign up from just $3.29 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark - one of the fastest VPNs available, unlimited simultaneous connections, thousands of servers to connect to, and great at unblocking streamers. Sign up from just $2.30 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- IPVanish - unlimited simultaneous connections, reliable servers, speedy connections. Sign up from just $3.99 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
How to watch the best Indian content - a final word
Now that we’ve covered the basics and shown you what you need to do, it must be pretty clear by now that the best way to watch Indian TV channels in the US, or anywhere else for that matter, is to get a capable VPN.
With a new Indian IP address, you’ll be able to watch Bollywood hits, live Indian cricket games, your favorite Indian dramas, and plenty more.
You’ll also stay secure and private while you’re doing it - the VPN will keep all your online activity hidden so digital snoops like your ISP won’t be able to spy on you.
With affordable price plans, as well as 30-day money-back guarantees, our recommended VPNs, like NordVPN, offer a lot of benefits for not a lot of money. So sign up, get streaming, and kick back with some Indian TV.
Excited to unblock Indian TV channels? Recommend your favorite Indian shows and movies in the comments section!
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to watch ITV in the USA - catch up on ITV favorites in the states
How to watch Channel 4 in the US - watch Channel 4 in America
How to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA - see the best of British broadcasting in the US
How to watch Sky One TV in the US - don’t miss Sky TV in America
How to watch Zee5 in the USA - Unblock India’s biggest channels
How to watch IPL while in USA - watch upcoming IPL cricket games in America
How can I watch Indian channels in the USA for free?
You can watch Indian TV channels for free in the USA by downloading a VPN that offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, like NordVPN. Sign up for a plan, use it to watch Indian TV, and then simply claim a hassle-free refund after 30 days.
Should I use an Indian VPN to watch Indian channels?
To unblock Indian TV channels with a VPN, all you need to do is find a VPN that has a selection of Indian servers to connect to. NordVPN has thousands of servers worldwide and 30 in India, so it’s a great place to start.
Is it legal to watch Indian channels with a VPN in my country?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN to watch Indian TV channels in most countries. However, some countries, like China and North Korea, restrict the use of VPNs, but they’re certainly completely legal in locations like the US, UK, and Europe. Read our guide on VPN legality for more info.