Online banking is a crucial part of everyday life. Most people no longer rely on cash and instead use credit cards to pay for various goods and services. Naturally, they also check their accounts to see if everything is in order.
Such frequent activities involving money require improved digital security than the default. Therefore, we recommend using a virtual private network (VPN) for online banking. This software envelops your online activities with a layer of impenetrable encryption, making you immune to cyber-attacks and online tracking. Read to learn which VPNs we recommend for keeping your valuables safe.
Top 5 best banking VPNs:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for online banking
- Surfshark – extremely affordable secure VPN for banking
- Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN to protect your transactions
- IPVanish – versatile and reliable VPN for online banking
- PrivateVPN – budget-friendly and well-rounded VPN
Why do I need a VPN for banking?
Practically everyone uses their bank accounts daily for various activities, be it online shopping or checking their balance. However, if you’re a fan of online banking on the go, you’ll inevitably come across poorly-secured networks with nefarious hackers abound. Criminals collect user data on such networks and then use it to impersonate you, sell that information on the dark web, or both. Either way, it can have disastrous consequences.
Thankfully, the best VPN services will keep your online shopping activities completely secure no matter where you are. This software reroutes your traffic through remote encrypted servers, rendering it unreachable to unauthorized third parties. When a VPN is enabled, your online transactions are completely unreadable, protected against man-in-the-middle attacks and data sniffing.
If that isn’t enough, a VPN can change your virtual location and unlock geographically-restricted content. This perk is useful for online banking if your bank imposes geo-blocking for security reasons. Alternatively, you can harness this power to change your Netflix region and watch exclusive foreign content.
In any case, you’ll need to purchase a high-quality and trustworthy VPN to fulfill your desired tasks. Otherwise, you’ll be putting your money in harm's way.
Best VPNs for banking – our detailed list
VPNs require a good selection of technical features to ensure airtight security. You’ll need these tools to prevent information leakage while banking online.
- AES-256 encryption
- VPN kill switch
- DNS leak protection
- Secure tunneling protocols
- Tracker blocking
- Huge number of worldwide servers
Of course, these aren’t the only things that virtual private networks can provide. Check out our recommended services and pick the most appropriate one for your needs.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for online banking
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60+ countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
NordVPN is the ultimate VPN for protecting your financial transactions. It boasts a massive network of 5500+ servers across 60+ countries for unlocking access to geo-blocked banks anywhere. Meanwhile, its abundance of security features will prevent cyber threats from harming you.
Let’s start with Threat Protection. This unique tool grants antivirus benefits at no additional cost. It scans downloaded files for malicious software and blocks dangerous web domains. Furthermore, there are plenty of security-focused servers (Double VPN, Onion over VPN, obfuscated) for keeping your online activities completely private.
No need to worry about data logging because NordVPN is based in privacy-respecting Panama. If that doesn’t convince you, the service employed third parties to conduct audits of its no-logs claims. Lastly, you can purchase an account without exposing personal data using numerous anonymous payment methods.
Total financial security with NordVPN starts at only $3.49/month. Don’t forget to use a NordVPN coupon code to have guaranteed access to the best discounts. Best of all, insurance against regrets is available in the form of a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our NordVPN review for additional information.
- Industry-leading speeds with NordLynx
- Protections against ads and malicious files
- Loads of servers worldwide
- Easily defeats geo-blocking
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Only six simultaneous connections
2. Surfshark – extremely affordable secure VPN for banking
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100+ countries|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is a worthwhile investment if you want to protect an ever-expanding number of devices affordably. The service commands an impressive array of 3200+ servers in 100+ countries, unlocking geo-blocked banks in various locations. Besides that, the service permits limitless device connections and grants an impressive arsenal of tools for enhancing the security of your transactions.
Firstly, the CleanWeb feature will wipe away ads, online trackers, and malware. If you come across VPN traffic blockades, NoBorders mode can swiftly curb them. And if you suspect someone is tracking you by your IP address, the IP Rotator feature will get them off your trail.
This VPN can cover more cybersecurity fronts if you purchase the Surfshark One package, which includes Alert, Search, and Antivirus. Alert notifies you if your data ends up leaked on the dark web. Meanwhile, Search grants an unbiased and private search engine. Antivirus is self-explanatory and ensures real-time security against malicious files.
Use a Surfshark discount code and sign up for only $2.30/month. Rest assured, because your purchase includes a 30-day money-back warranty.
Learn more about this VPN by reading our Surfshark VPN review.
- Unlimited device connections
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Packed with excellent features
- Solid no-logs policy
- Diverse country selection
- Some features cost extra
3. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN to protect your transactions
|Based in:||The USA|
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38+ countries|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF!🔥|
Looking for the most frugal way of keeping your online banking activities protected against interference? Consider Atlas VPN, the most affordable VPN for online banking! It even has a solid free plan if you don’t mind a few drawbacks.
The premium plan unlocks over 750 servers in 38+ countries. Meanwhile, the free plan includes New York, Los Angeles, and Amsterdam as connection options. Paying customers can also utilize specialized Privacy Pro servers to take advantage of Atlas VPN’s unique security features.
For starters, you can enjoy greater encryption by tunneling your connection through multiple locations with the help of MultiHop+. On the other hand, SafeBrowse will block unwanted third-party trackers from profiling you. And if you become a victim of information leaks, Data Breach Monitor will immediately notify you and suggest the best course of action.
Grab the most budget-friendly online banking VPN for only $2.05/month using a valid Atlas VPN coupon code. Familiarize yourself with the service using the free plan, or commit premium and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee if needed.
See the full picture with the help of our Atlas VPN review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast load times thanks to WireGuard
- Specialized servers for streaming and security
- Excellent variety of features at an affordable price
- Lacks router firmware
4. IPVanish – versatile and reliable VPN for online banking
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50+ countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 72% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
Users looking for USA-based VPNs to fulfill their online banking needs will find IPVanish as a worthy candidate. The service is reasonably priced, audited by a third party, and equipped with excellent features.
IPVanish runs a network of 2000+ servers across 50+ servers. All hardware is bare-metal and fully operated by the provider to reduce the risk of unauthorized tampering. Furthermore, you can choose from various tunneling protocols (WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2) to best suit your needs.
VPN restrictions are an easy opponent for IPVanish, thanks to the Scramble feature. It masks your traffic and makes you immune to blockades against VPN connections. And if you’d like to customize which apps must go through the VPN tunnel, you can do precisely that with split tunneling.
Pricing for IPVanish typically starts at $3.33/month, but you can encounter alternative deals using IPVanish discount codes. Plus, you can always get a refund using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
See what else IPVanish has to offer by reading our IPVanish review.
- Limitless connections with one account
- Independently-audited zero-logs policy
- Swift connectivity with WireGuard
- Numerous US servers
- No Linux app
5. PrivateVPN – budget-friendly and well-rounded VPN
|Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63+ countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF!🔥|
PrivateVPN is a versatile and affordable VPN for banking and online security. The Sweden-based service adheres to a strict zero-logs policy and employs reliable technologies to keep customers secure.
The provider commands a tight-knit network of 200+ servers across 63+ countries. Additionally, it combines the OpenVPN tunneling protocol with HQN (High Quality Network) to achieve impressive connection speeds. Moreover, customers can use one account to secure up to 10 devices.
PrivateVPN users can customize their encryption level from AES-256 to AES-128 for improved performance. Alternatively, you can enable an HTTP or SOCKS5 proxy if you only need an IP address change.
Get started with PrivateVPN by investing only $2.00/month for a long-term plan. If you’re not ready to commit, ask customer support for the 7-day free trial. Finally, look through PrivateVPN coupon codes to see if any alternative deals seem appealing.
Learn more by reading our Private VPN review.
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Provides port forwarding
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- Affordable and effective
- Lacks WireGuard
What makes the best VPN for banking
Below is an overview of the essential criteria we had to look at before even considering a VPN as viable for banking.
- Security. Digital security is the primary purpose of using a VPN during online banking. After all, your digital assets need to be protected with strong encryption and top-of-the-line security features. That’s why we picked providers that grant industry-leading protection.
- Privacy. A VPN can theoretically collect excess data about you, including your spending habits on the internet. This information is pretty valuable to advertisers. Thankfully, our suggested no-logs VPNs adhere to strict privacy policies and don’t perform any heinous acts with your data.
- Servers. It’s clear that a VPN service with more servers provides more benefits. For online banking, you’ll want a provider with servers in your home country so you can access your bank while traveling.
- Speed. Online banking isn’t a data-intensive activity like video streaming or gaming with friends. However, that doesn’t mean that connection quality can take a backseat. Plus, modern and well-performing tunneling protocols (such as WireGuard) are usually secure, too.
- Price. No need to opt for the most expensive service to secure your online banking activities. Even if you sign up for a cheap but reliable provider, you'll be in good hands. However, don’t even consider using a free VPN as your bank security tool.
- Compatibility. Most VPNs provide dedicated apps for computers and mobile devices, the most popular means of accessing online banks.
How to safely access online banking with a VPN
You must always enable the VPN before visiting your online bank to enjoy the numerous security benefits of your provider. Here’s a step-by-step guide to remind you of the process.
- Sign up for a reliable banking VPN. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Download the application on your favorite bank-accessing device
- Launch the app and connect to a country where your bank is available
- Visit your online banking site securely and privately!
Best banking VPNs compared
Can’t wrap your head around all the different VPN aspects to consider? Look at this handy comparison to make your decision-making process more manageable.
|Free version||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, Unlimited||No||Yes, 7-day|
|Servers||5500+ servers in 60+ countries||3200+ servers in 100+ countries||750+ servers in 38+ countries||2000+ servers in 50+ countries||200+ servers in 63+ countries|
|Logging||No logs, independently audited twice by PwC||No logs, independently audited by Cure 53||No logs, independently audited by VerSprite (iOS penetration testing)||No logs, independently audited by Leviathan||No logs, not audited|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands||United States||United States||Sweden|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark review||Atlas VPN review||IPVanish review||PrivateVPN review|
Will a VPN work with my bank?
Although VPNs undeniably make online banking safer, they’re sometimes blocked by banks anyway. That’s because cybercriminals use virtual private networks to impersonate others or to hide their true location while committing fraud.
Thankfully, you shouldn’t come across issues regarding VPNs and banking websites if you adhere to a few guidelines.
- Always connect from the same server location, preferably your home country. Online services don’t know when you’re traveling and consider logins from foreign countries as hacking attempts. You can further minimize issues using a VPN with dedicated IP addresses.
- Notify your bank that you’re traveling abroad. Communication helps in every situation, and online banking is no exception.
- Enable other security measures, such as 2FA. Banks with your best interests at heart should support two-factor authentication. This extra step should confirm your identity even when connecting from the other side of the globe.
Access Bank of America with a VPN
The Bank of America is an excellent example of unnecessary limitations when accessing the website from abroad. Thankfully, it urges customers to use VPNs to secure their transactions on public networks. However, this sentiment is undermined when you notice the service also blocks VPN server IP addresses.
As expected, it does so to prevent fraudsters from hiding their identity with VPNs. The bank blocks IP addresses overused by numerous users or those behind financial fraud. That means your service’s servers can end up blocklisted, too. But that’s unlikely if you’re using a VPN with loads of US servers.
Can I use a free VPN for banking?
Free VPNs aren’t known for their reliability, good performance, or airtight security. At best, they can change your location and unblock an essential website. But at worst, they collect your data, install adware, and sell your information to any willing buyer.
Even a trustworthy no-cost VPN is plagued by limitations (slow speeds, minimal server options, data caps, subpar features, etc.). In short, the absence of a monetary subscription is offset by limited usability.
The closest thing to the best free VPN for online banking is a reliable freemium VPN, such as Atlas VPN or Proton VPN. They’re not ideal, but they have servers in the US, making them a viable option for Bank of America customers.
A better cost-free alternative is using VPNs with free trials. If your preferred provider doesn’t offer a trial, consider the money-back guarantee period.
Using a VPN makes online banking safer if you frequent cafes, hotels, and other places with freely-available Wi-Fi networks. Additionally, it’s vital for travelers if their banks limit access from foreign countries.
It’s not worth using a second-rate service to protect your assets because a faulty product can cost more in the long run. That’s why you must invest in a top VPN for online banking.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Is it safe to use a VPN for online banking?
Yes, it’s safe, but only if you’re using a trustworthy premium VPN for online banking, such as NordVPN. Paid VPNs ensure that your connection is safe on public Wi-Fi on all your devices. Keep in mind that an unreliable provider will leak your data or collect and sell it to third parties.
What is the best USA-based VPN for online banking?
is the best USA-based VPN for online banking. It’s exceptionally cheap, provides excellent connectivity with WireGuard, and supports unlimited device connections with one account. However, you can use any VPN with servers in the US for online banking, such as NordVPN.
Can I use a free VPN for online banking?
You can, but it’s ill-advised. Free VPNs provide subpar features that won’t protect your financial transactions against data theft. Plus, they’re overused, meaning their server IP addresses are most likely blocked by banking websites.
Which VPN is the best for online banking?
NordVPN is the best VPN for online banking. It has a massive fleet of 5500+ servers across 60+ countries, well-rounded security with the Threat Protection feature, and industry-leading connectivity with NordLynx. It starts at $3.49/month and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.