Best VPNs for Netflix in 2022
Just imagine if you’re abroad on a business trip and want to securely access your usual streaming content – in that case, you need a strong Netflix VPN that actually works. However, finding a VPN that works with Netflix can be a real struggle.
This major streaming platform has a strong anti-VPN technology and, unfortunately, not all tools can bypass it. Only choosing the right VPN will help you to circumvent geographic location blocks and access different Netflix content libraries from all around the world.
To help you find the best solution, we tested dozens of services and compiled a list of the best VPNs for Netflix that are actually able to deliver. Get ready for some binge-watching once you pick that perfect Netflix VPN!
Top 5 best VPNs for Netflix - our shortlist:
- NordVPN – best all-round VPN for Netflix
- Surfshark VPN – the best money value VPN for Netflix
- IPVanish – globally distributed Netflix VPN
- Atlas VPN – VPN for Netflix at no cost
- PrivateVPN – solid VPN choice for watching Netflix
What to look for in the best Netflix VPN?
Not all VPNs work equally well with Netflix so it might be challenging to decide which one’s right for the job. Luckily, we’ve made a short list of attributes that the best VPN for Netflix should have:
- Unblocking capabilities. The best VPN for this task should not only unblock Netflix but also offer a wide selection of servers in different locations. This way you will be able to access any Netflix country library from anywhere.
- Fast speeds. You should also look for fast VPN services that could provide a seamless Netflix streaming experience. For that, make sure your chosen VPN supports the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Streaming features. Premium Netflix VPNs often include additional streaming features: the SmartDNS feature to help you install a VPN on a gaming console or a Smart TV, as well as a dedicated IP to circumvent Netflix anti-VPN technology.
- Device compatibility. If you want to enjoy Netflix on any device, you should pick a VPN that supports both desktop and mobile devices. Additionally, make sure it allows multiple simultaneous connections so that you and your family could watch Netflix at the same time.
The best VPNs for Netflix – our detailed list:
In total, we tested 30+ VPN services and their ability to unblock Netflix. Unsurprisingly, we were left with only six providers, as the rest weren't great at bypassing the strict geo-blocks of this popular streaming service.
We used a number of different devices (Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS) and tried out various features (like SmartDNS) that enhance your streaming experience. So, here’s the detailed list of top 6 best Netflix VPNs:
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Netflix overall
|Servers/countries:||5400+ servers in 60 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||21|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 60% OFF! 🔥|
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for Netflix. It offers ultra fast download speeds, which lets you watch Netflix with no interruptions. During our tests, it successfully unblocked 21 Netflix libraries, including the US, the UK, France, Italy, Japan, Germany, and others.
Also, it has a staggering number of 5400 servers across 60 countries which are located in key Netflix areas. So depending on what kind of TV shows or movies you want to unblock, you'll have plenty of options.
With NordVPN, you can stream Netflix on up to 6 different devices simultaneously. There’s support for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. Also, you can use its browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
What’s even better is that the VPN’s SmartPlay technology helps you bypass streaming media blocks and watch geo-blocked Netflix content on smart TVs. There’s also the possibility to purchase a dedicated IP address that has a much lower chance of being blocked by Netflix.
You shouldn’t forget that NordVPN is also great for unblocking other streaming services, like BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and DAZN (works with the UK server).
In conclusion, NordVPN is excellent for unblocking any popular Netflix library. Additionally, it has user-friendly apps so that you could watch Netflix on any device, and that’s why it’s our best VPN for Netflix.
To find out more, read our full NordVPN review.
- One of the fastest VPNs
- Huge server selection
- SmartPlay technology
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks most streaming sites
- No router app
- No free version
2. Surfshark – the cheapest VPN for Netflix
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 65 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||30+|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE! 🔥|
Surfshark is yet another great Netflix VPN with a big server fleet that consists of 3200+ servers in 65 countries, including some excellent dedicated streaming servers. That’s why it can unblock a massive number of Netflix libraries – 30, to be exact. They include Netflix UK, the US, Canada, France, India, India, Italy, South Korea, Ireland, and Greece.
When it comes to applications, Surfshark has apps for Windows, iOS, Linux, Android, and iOS so that you could watch Netflix on any device. You can also download VPN extensions for Google Chrome and Firefox.
Moreover, with Surfshark you get unlimited simultaneous connections. In other terms, you and your family or friends can access different Netflix libraries on multiple devices at the same time.
Additionally, this VPN offers a solution for streaming Netflix on devices that don’t support VPNs – SmartDNS. You can easily use it to watch Netflix US shows on your SmartTV or PlayStation.
What’s also worth mentioning is that Surfshark can unblock a myriad of other streaming sites – BBC iPlayer, YouTube, DAZN, Apple TV, and others.
To sum up, Surfshark is definitely one of the top choices for accessing various Netflix libraries. You can not only install it on any OS but also watch Netflix on multiple devices at the same time.
To find out more, read our in-depth Surfshark VPN review.
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- 7-day free trial
- SmartDNS feature
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Cheap subscription for 24 months
- Supports WireGuard
- Expensive monthly plan
3. IPVanish – lots of different locations
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 locations|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||2|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus! 🔥|
IPVanish VPN is also an excellent VPN for unblocking Netflix, particularly the US and the UK libraries. It offers 2000+ servers in 50 locations, which gives you a wide range of countries to choose from when accessing content on different Netflix libraries.
You can download IPVanish onto your Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices to watch popular Netflix shows wherever you go. It even has a dedicated app for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick so that you could enjoy watching Netflix with your family and friends.
Additionally, this VPN gives unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning that you can unblock Netflix on multiple devices at the same time.
When it comes to speeds when streaming Netflix, IPVanish supports the WireGuard tunneling protocol and provides a fast and secure connection for the best movie night experience.
All in all, IPVanish is a good Netflix VPN that can help you watch global content on any device. Also, it provides great speeds and a stable connection so you shouldn’t experience any buffering issues when having Netflix marathons.
To find out more, read our in-depth IPVanish VPN review.
- Unlimited connections
- DNS leak protection
- Obfuscated server toggle
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Customizable kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Price increases after a year
- No SmartDNS
4. Atlas VPN – a free VPN for Netflix
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||750 servers in 38 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||6|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF! 🔥|
Atlas VPN also earns a spot on our best Netflix VPN list. Even though its server fleet of 750 servers in 38 countries is not as big as other VPNs’, you get streaming-optimized servers which allow you to unblock various Netflix country libraries in just a few clicks.
With unlimited simultaneous connections, you and your family can watch the most popular Netflix movies on separate devices at once. Atlas VPN supports Windows, macOS, Android and iOS operating systems. It also has dedicated apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV for streaming Netflix together with your friends.
Furthermore, you shouldn’t worry about buffering – this VPN supports the revolutionary WireGuard protocol that provides excellent speeds and a stable connection for Netflix marathons.
What’s also worth mentioning is that Atlas VPN has a free version which allows connecting to three different locations. You can try using it for unblocking content on Netflix US and Netherlands.
To conclude, Atlas VPN can be a great companion for watching country-specific shows on Netflix. Its dedicated streaming servers and user-friendly apps make it worth the spot on our best Netflix VPN list.
To find out more, read our in-depth Atlas VPN review.
- Unblocks lots of streaming sites
- WireGuard support
- Quite cheap
- Has a free version
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No SmartDNS
- Small server fleet
5. PrivateVPN – decent VPN for Netflix
|Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||8|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
PrivateVPN is also a good Netflix VPN. Its server fleet is quite modest – 200 servers in 63 countries – but still allows you to unblock Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, France, and Spain.
You can watch your favorite shows on Windows, Linux or macOS computers, as well as Android and iOS smartphones with PrivateVPN. What’s even better is that you get 6 simultaneous connections to enjoy Netflix with your whole family at once. Also, if you’re up for a movie night, you can set up this VPN on your router and stream titles on Apple TV, Kodi, etc.
When it comes to additional features, you can get a dedicated IP address to help you circumvent Netflix anti-VPN technology. In simple terms, there will be less chances to get a VPN connection block from this popular streaming platform.
Furthermore, it’s worth mentioning that PrivateVPN’s best tunneling protocol option is OpenVPN. Even though it might not be as fast as other Netflix VPNs on our list, you shouldn’t experience any interruptions while streaming.
All in all, PrivateVPN is a solid choice for watching Netflix on both desktop and mobile devices. Its ability to bypass location-based restrictions and unlock popular country libraries makes it also worthy to be on our best Netflix VPN list.
For more info, check out our PrivateVPN review.
- Unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Good speeds
- Customizable encryption
- Cheap long-term subscription
- No WireGuard
- Small fleet of servers
- No split tunneling
6. Ivacy VPN – anonymous Netflix VPN
|Servers/countries:||5700+ servers in 100 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||7|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Ivacy VPN, now 88% OFF + gift! 🔥|
Our final choice on the best Netflix VPNs list is Ivacy VPN. It not only has over 5700 servers in 100 countries but also offers dedicated servers for Netflix. You can find them indicated on the server list and successfully enjoy specific Netflix content from the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, France, and Germany.
Moving further, with Ivacy VPN you can not only unblock Netflix on your mobile and desktop devices but also set up your router with its connection and share a secured network for devices that can’t have a VPN installed. Meaning, you’ll be able to access Netflix on devices such as Google TV, Roku, and gaming consoles.
Additionally, if you get bored with Netflix, you can also access other popular streaming platforms, like Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and more. This VPN gives 10 simultaneous connections so that you could watch movies and shows on multiple devices and even at the same time.
In conclusion, Ivacy VPN is a decent VPN for Netflix. The best thing is its impressive server fleet and servers dedicated to Netflix. However, since it doesn’t support the WireGuard protocol, its speeds might not be as fast or consistent as one would want.
To learn more, take a look at our Ivacy VPN review.
- Unblocks Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and more
- Large fleet of servers
- Strict no-logs policy
- Anonymous payment methods
- Compatible with router
- Might be slow
- No WireGuard
- No free version
How we selected VPNs that work with Netflix:
When making this list of the best VPNs for Netflix, the biggest factor was the app’s ability to unblock the famous streaming site by changing your Netflix account region. However, there were a few other things that we took into consideration:
- Speed. It’s no secret that poor download speeds can totally ruin your Netflix marathon, causing lags and downgrading video quality. For this reason, we performed speed tests and picked only those VPNs that don’t mess with your speed too much. We prioritized the services that offer fast tunneling protocols like WireGuard, Lightway, and NordLynx.
- Features for streaming. Most of the VPN services for Netflix we listed have features like Smart DNS (that helps you watch Netflix on devices that don’t support VPNs) or dedicated IPs (which can help you unblock content when regular IPs become useless).
- Country selection. Even though most users want to access the US or the UK libraries of Netflix, it’s not fair to forget all the other countries that also have a good selection of movies and shows. For this reason, we selected the VPNs that have a wide choice of servers.
- Apps and supported devices. As Netflix is also available as an application for Android and iOS phones, we picked only those VPNs that flawlessly work on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Customer support. When trying to access Netflix from another country, you might run into some technical problems. For this reason, we picked the VPNs with good customer support options.
- Price. All of the VPN services on this list offer a great feature-to-price ratio, especially if you consider their long-term subscription.
Why do I need a VPN for Netflix?
Since Netflix is available in over 190 countries, you might wonder why you would need a VPN for this streaming platform, right? Well, here are the main reasons to get a VPN for Netflix:
- Unlock different Netflix country libraries. By connecting to a VPN, your local IP address, along with the location, gets changed and this allows you to access geo-restricted content. Meaning, you get to enjoy the same Netflix movies and shows as if you were in the US or any other country that your VPN provider unblocks.
- Secure public wifi connections. We all end up in situations where we have to kill some time which leads us to connecting to public Wi-Fi to stream Netflix. Yet, public wifi is somewhat of a parasite that can infect your privacy. A VPN will encrypt your traffic and secure your privacy while you enjoy streaming Inventing Anna at the airport.
- Watch Netflix on multiple devices. This streaming platform is widely-adored for the possibility to access your profile on each device you have. Fortunately, the best Netflix VPNs do offer this possibility as well. That being said, you can simultaneously connect several or unlimited devices to a VPN and enjoy unblocked Netflix on all of them.
- Boost your network speed. How so? A VPN helps you to avoid the bandwidth throttling that your ISP can sometimes cause. Meaning, not only does the speed improve but you also get to save up your money as you end up using fewer network data.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for Netflix?
No, it’s completely legal to use a VPN for Netflix. You won’t get fined or anything like that – Netflix won’t even ban your account, so there’s no reason to get too nervous when you see the proxy error message that scolds you for using a website unblocker.
However, unblocking Netflix is against their Terms of Service:
You may view the Netflix content primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such content.
With that said, it is not a criminal activity comparable to torrenting or otherwise pirating licensed content, and Netflix isn't known to enforce this clause. You can say that it falls into a gray area, leaving the decision solely to your own conscience.
On the other hand, keep in mind that in some countries the general use of VPNs is downright illegal. You should be especially careful if you’re currently visiting or residing in China, Russia, Iran, or the UAE.
How to watch Netflix with a VPN
Watching Netflix with a VPN is a pretty straightforward process. However, if you’ve never done this before, we’ve got you!
Here is a general step-by-step guide showing how to use a VPN to watch Netflix:
- Install a VPN. NordVPN works well with Netflix.
- Log in or register an account.
- Connect to a server located in a country of your desired Netflix library.
- Go to the Netflix website/app and enjoy watching!
My Netflix VPN is not working – what to do?
If you’ve already bought a yearly subscription to a VPN and it suddenly stopped working with Netflix (while it’s already past the money-back guarantee period), don’t take it very hard. There are a few things you can try before canceling your VPN subscription:
- Try a bunch of different servers in the same country (as there might be an IP address left that isn’t yet blocked) or simply wait and try again later – you may be in luck this time.
- Ask customer support for help. A support agent can point out which servers unblock certain Netflix libraries. Or maybe your VPN has launched specialized streaming servers that you can use for an extra buck or so.
- Buy a static IP address that belongs only to you or a select group of people – small enough not to be suspected as an IP that belongs to a VPN service. Keep in mind that your static IP will be bound to a single country and that it doesn’t guarantee access to geo-blocked Netflix content.
If the solutions listed above don’t work for you and if you are facing a message informing you about the Netflix error code m7111-1331-5059, then you might need to take additional steps that would clear the situation.
Finally, you shouldn’t forget that shows and movies are usually available in multiple countries. For example, I accidentally stumbled upon all the seasons of My Hero Academia on Indian Netflix (while my VPN couldn’t unblock the Japanese library, which is the first to spring to mind when it comes to anime).
Netflix libraries that you can access with a VPN
In case you’re wondering which Netflix libraries you can access with a VPN, you might find the table below pretty useful.
|VPN provider||Netflix libraries|
|NordVPN||US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands, Spain, India, Brazil, South Korea, Finland, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan|
|Surfshark VPN||US, UK, Canada, France, India, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, South Korea, Turkey, Singapore, Japan, Poland, Israel, Chile, Colombia, Greece, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Argentina, Finland, Mexico, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland|
|Atlas VPN||US, UK, Germany, Italy, Canada, Japan|
|PrivateVPN||US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, France, Spain|
|Ivacy VPN||US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, France, Germany|
However, keep in mind that some of the info might differ at the time of reading this article. Current IP addresses can get blocked, forcing the VPN provider to change the strategy. Also, the bigger the number of servers and locations is, the better list of Netflix libraries a VPN can be proud of.
Can I use a free VPN for Netflix?
There’s no wonder why you might want to get a free Netflix VPN instead of a paid one. Who wouldn’t? However, there are not so many VPNs that are capable of unblocking Netflix and providing quality services free of charge.
Luckily, we have gone through the trouble for you and found a few. These are the best free VPNs to watch Netflix:
- ProtonVPN. Its free version supports one VPN connection and gives access to 23 servers in 3 countries. Since the speed is medium, we recommend choosing the servers with a lesser load for a better Netflix experience.
- Windscribe. It offers dedicated streaming servers, called Windflix. They are based in the US, the UK, Canada and Japan. You can access American Netflix using Windflix US.
While it might seem like you’ve just hit the jackpot, it’s good to know that free VPNs do not always work. You might need to spend some time switching between servers to unblock Netflix. Additionally, their speeds are medium, so you should expect some buffering.
If you want to get the best Netflix experience, we recommend purchasing a VPN subscription afterall. Most VPN service providers offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them risk-free.
VPNs that don't work with Netflix
Unfortunately, there are many VPN services that are currently blocked by Netflix. These include some of the top services, such as:
- Private Internet Access (PIA). Despite its huge server fleet, PIA VPN didn’t manage to unblock the US or the UK content of Netflix. However, some user reports suggest that you might have some luck with some of the more obscure servers.
- Mullvad VPN. Right now, this VPN only allows you to watch geo-blocked content on YouTube. It doesn’t allow you to access Netflix, BBC iPlayer, or DAZN.
- TorGuard VPN. TorGuard isn’t the best VPN for Netflix because it can’t unblock this streaming site. However, you won’t get any proxy error - it will still let you watch the content available in your country.
- Avira Phantom VPN. Even though this VPN offers decent security services, it isn’t capable of unblocking major streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, or DAZN. Currently, Avira Phantom VPN only gives access to YouTube videos.
- AVG Secure VPN. AVG Secure VPN only unblocks BBC iPlayer and YouTube. Unfortunately, it fails to bypass Hulu, DAZN, and Netflix VPN blocks.
Keep in mind that the situation with VPN services and Netflix is constantly changing. If a VPN can’t unblock this streaming site today, it doesn’t mean that it won’t work tomorrow.
Netflix is currently one of the most popular streaming platforms available in over 190 countries. Unfortunately, not every region has access to the same movies, TV shows, and series. In other words, you can’t watch other country’s exclusive content unless you have a reputable Netflix VPN.
NordVPN is our best Netflix VPN choice that can easily help you unblock 21 different content libraries and watch your favorite shows from anywhere. It has user-friendly apps for both mobile and desktop devices, as well as the SmartDNS feature that allows you to stream Netflix on Smart TVs and gaming consoles.
Have you already tried one of our best VPNs for Netflix? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
What is the best VPN for Netflix?
Right now, one of the best VPNs for Netflix is NordVPN. It unlocks streaming libraries from different countries including the US, the UK, and Canada. It’s also one of the cheapest options out there.
Can I access my Netflix in another country?
Yes, you can access your Netflix account from any country where Netflix is available. However, keep in mind that the video streaming service will display the content of the country you’re connecting from. As a result, the selection of movies and shows will differ.
In addition to this, there may be some differences in maturity ratings, as well as the selection of current downloaded titles on your device. One last thing to keep in mind is the change in the available languages and subtitles.
Can I share Netflix with family in another country?
Yes. It doesn’t make a difference if your family members are in a different country than you. Still, you should be aware of your Netflix subscription type, as the Basic plan doesn’t support simultaneous connections. To conveniently share your Netflix subscription with family members, you should look into the Standard and Premium plans that allow for two and four simultaneous connections respectively.
On which devices can I unblock Netflix with a VPN?
You can unblock Netflix on those devices that are supported by your chosen VPN. For example, NordVPN is compatible with all major OS, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Also, you can even use it for Netflix on Kodi, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV.
Can I use a VPN with Netflix directly through my router?
Yes, it’s possible to access Netflix with a VPN installed on your router. In fact, it’s an excellent solution for those who own devices that don’t support VPNs on their own, like Roku, Google TV, Chromecast, and others.
Which country has the best Netflix library?
Ireland has the biggest Netflix library (6,379 titles). Other countries with the biggest libraries are as follows: Malaysia (6,361), Indonesia (6,264), the Philippines (6,196), Canada (6,162), the Czech Republic (6,129), Singapore (5,960), and the UK (5,954).
Why does Netflix ban VPNs?
Netflix bans VPNs because you’re violating the copyright agreement once you try to use a VPN. In other words, Netflix doesn’t have the right to stream the same content all over the world. The agreement is important to maintain Netflix as a fair platform that offers only law-friendly streaming services.
Can Netflix suspend my account for using a VPN?
No, your account won’t get blocked. Even though Netflix’s terms and conditions state that you can’t trick the service in such a way, it isn’t declared that using a VPN will result in an account suspension.