Netflix has distinct content libraries for different countries, meaning some movies or shows are available in specific regions only. And there’s nothing more disappointing than finding out that your favorite show is not available in your country.
Thanks to VPNs, you don’t have to cancel your subscription just yet. The best Netflix VPN helps you change your IP address, making you appear from another location. This allows you to bypass geo-restrictions and access any content on Netflix you want.
To help you find the right solution, we tested dozens of services and compiled a list of the best VPNs that work with Netflix and can access multiple content libraries.
Note: To ensure successful Netflix library access, we constantly review the providers we include so you’d always get the most reliable options.
Top 5 best VPNs for Netflix
- NordVPN – overall best VPN for Netflix
- Surfshark VPN – the best money value VPN for Netflix
- IPVanish – globally distributed Netflix VPN
- ExpressVPN – versatile Netflix VPN
- CyberGhost – VPN with the most servers
What to look for in the best Netflix VPN?
Not all VPNs work equally well with Netflix so it might be challenging to decide which one’s right for the job. Luckily, we’ve made a short list of attributes that the best VPN for Netflix should have:
- Unblocking capabilities. The best VPN for this task should not only unblock Netflix but also offer a wide selection of servers in different locations. This way you will be able to access any Netflix country library from anywhere.
- Fast speeds. You should also look for fast VPN services that could provide a seamless Netflix streaming experience. For that, make sure your chosen VPN supports the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Streaming features. Premium Netflix VPNs often include additional streaming features: the SmartDNS feature to help you install a VPN on a gaming console or a Smart TV, as well as a dedicated IP to circumvent Netflix anti-VPN technology.
- Device compatibility. If you want to enjoy Netflix on any device, you should pick a VPN that supports both desktop and mobile devices. Additionally, make sure it allows multiple simultaneous connections so that you and your family could watch Netflix at the same time.
Best VPNs for Netflix compared
|Free trial||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||Yes, unlimited|
|No. of Netflix libraries||21||29||18||20+||8||11|
|Streaming||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Servers||5500+ servers in 60 countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries||2000+ servers in 50 countries||3000+ servers in 94 countries||9700+ servers in 91 countries||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands (part of 9-Eyes)||United States (part of 5-Eyes)||British Virgin Islands||Romania||United States (part of 5-Eyes)|
|Price (lowest price per month)||$3.49/month||$2.30/month||$3.33/month||$6.67/month||$2.19/month||$2.05/month|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||IPVanish review||ExpressVPN review||CyberGhost review||Atlas VPN review|
The best VPNs for Netflix – our detailed list:
We tested over 30 VPN services with every Netflix region to find out how they handle bypassing geo-restrictions. As it turned out, only six providers were great at unblocking the platform’s libraries.
We used a number of different devices (Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS) and tried out various features (like SmartDNS) that enhance your streaming experience. So, here’s the detailed list of top 6 best Netflix VPNs:
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Netflix overall
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||21|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + birthday gift! 🔥|
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for Netflix. It offers ultra fast download speeds with NordLynx protocol, which lets you watch Netflix with no interruptions. During our tests, it successfully unblocked 21 Netflix libraries, including the US, the UK, France, Italy, Japan, Germany, and others.
Also, it has a staggering number of 5500 servers across 60 countries. Plenty of those servers are located in key Netflix areas. So depending on what kind of TV shows or movies you want to unblock, you'll have plenty of options.
You can stream Netflix with NordVPN on up to 6 different devices simultaneously. There’s support for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. Also, you can use its browser extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
What’s even better is that the VPN’s SmartPlay technology helps you bypass streaming media blocks and watch geo-blocked Netflix content on smart TVs. There’s also the possibility to purchase a dedicated IP address that has a much lower chance of being blocked by Netflix.
You shouldn’t forget that NordVPN is also great for unblocking other streaming services, like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, and YouTube.
Overall, NordVPN is excellent for unblocking any popular Netflix library. Additionally, it has user-friendly apps so that you could watch Netflix on any device, and that’s why it’s our best VPN for Netflix.
To find out more, read our full NordVPN review.
- One of the fastest VPNs
- Huge server selection
- SmartPlay technology
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks most streaming sites
- No free version
2. Surfshark – the cheapest VPN for Netflix
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||29|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is yet another great Netflix VPN with a big server fleet that consists of 3200+ servers in 100 countries, including some excellent dedicated streaming servers.
That’s why it can unblock a massive number of Netflix libraries – around 30. They include Netflix UK, the US, Canada, France, India, India, Italy, South Korea, Ireland, and Greece.
When it comes to applications, you can watch Netflix with Surfshark on Windows, iOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. You can also download VPN extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
Moreover, with Surfshark you get unlimited simultaneous connections. In other terms, you and your family or friends can access different Netflix libraries on multiple devices at the same time.
Additionally, this VPN offers a solution for streaming Netflix on devices that don’t support VPNs – SmartDNS. You can easily use it to watch Netflix US shows on your SmartTV or PlayStation.
What’s also worth mentioning is that Surfshark can unblock a myriad of other streaming sites – BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Apple TV, and others.
To sum up, Surfshark is definitely one of the top choices for accessing various Netflix libraries. You can not only install it on any OS but also watch Netflix on multiple devices at the same time.
To find out more, read our in-depth Surfshark VPN review.
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- 7-day free trial
- SmartDNS feature
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Cheap subscription for 24 months
- Supports WireGuard
- No free version
3. IPVanish – lots of different locations
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 locations|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||18|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish is also an excellent VPN for unblocking Netflix, particularly the US and the UK libraries. It offers 2000+ servers in 50 locations, which gives you a wide range of countries to choose from when accessing content on different Netflix libraries.
You can download IPVanish onto your Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. It even has a dedicated app for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick so that you could enjoy watching Netflix with your family and friends.
Additionally, you can watch Netflix with IPVanish on multiple devices at the same time, as this VPN gives unlimited simultaneous connections.
When it comes to speeds when streaming Netflix, IPVanish supports the WireGuard tunneling protocol and provides a fast and secure connection for the best movie night experience.
All in all, IPVanish is a good Netflix VPN that can help you watch global content on any device. Also, it provides great speeds and a stable connection so you shouldn’t experience any buffering issues when having Netflix marathons.
To find out more, read our in-depth IPVanish VPN review.
- Unlimited connections
- DNS leak protection
- Obfuscated server toggle
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Customizable kill switch
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Price increases after a year
- No Smart DNS
4. ExpressVPN – secure and fast Netflix VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000 servers in 94 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||20+|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
ExpressVPN is a well-known provider that excels in content unblocking and providing you with numerous Netflix libraries, as it has 3000 servers in 94 countries. Not to mention fast and stable connection speeds allowing you to enjoy videos in full HD.
It’s no secret that ExpressVPN unblocks over 20 global Netflix libraries. But it can also help you with other streaming services, like Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, and more. So, you receive a nearly perfect partner in crime to enjoy streaming.
A fast connection is another aspect of considering this VPN. You see, it uses an improved version of the WireGuard tunnel – its in-house-built Lightway tunneling protocol. With it, you receive lightning-fast speeds and a secure network connection.
One more thing to be happy about is that ExpressVPN works on all major operating systems, various gaming consoles, streaming devices, and even has an applet for routers, so you can use a VPN connection on all your home devices.
Without a router, the initial allowed number of simultaneous connections is 5, but that’s still good enough to be covered wherever you go.
Putting it all together, ExpressVPN is a real game changer regarding streaming. Its decent server fleet and overall excellent performance can help you enjoy great connection speeds and high-quality Netflix movies even if you live in the farthest corner of the world.
Check out our ExpressVPN review and find out more.
- Unblocks over 20 Netflix libraries
- Lightway tunneling protocol
- Has a router applet
- Large server fleet
- No speed drops
- No kill switch on iOS
5. CyberGhost – VPN with a massive server fleet
|Servers/countries:||9700 servers in 91 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||8|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
With over 9700 servers in 91 countries, CyberGhost falls to be one of the greatest catches for unblocking Netflix. Whether it’s the US or Japanese libraries, you get it. Not to mention other streaming services it can also unblock.
So, speaking of other streaming platforms, CyberGhost helps you to access HBO Max, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video with ease. Plus, you can have up to 7 simultaneous connections, so your whole family can watch their favorites without unnecessary fights.
Accessing a streaming site is not all; quality matters too. Luckily, this VPN uses the WireGuard tunneling protocol and knows how to make it effective. Hence, you receive excellent connection speeds without noticeable speed drops. Indeed, video quality remains great too.
Another great thing about it is that you can get the app for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux devices. Plus, this VPN works on routers, so you can connect your Apple TV or other streaming devices effortlessly, even if they can’t have a VPN installed directly.
All in all, CyberGhost is a simple but strong Netflix VPN. With an impressive server fleet and great connection speeds, it guarantees a great streaming experience for you wherever you go.
Learn more about the features in our CyberGhost review.
- Enormous server fleet
- WireGuard tunnel
- Unblocks Netflix US
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- WireGuard connection issues on Mac
- Apple apps lack features
- No free version
6. Atlas VPN – a free VPN for Netflix
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||750 servers in 38 countries|
|No. of Netflix Libraries:||11|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF! 🔥|
Atlas VPN also earns a spot on our best Netflix VPN list. Even though its server fleet is not as big as other VPNs’, you get streaming-optimized servers which allow you to unblock various Netflix country libraries in just a few clicks.
With unlimited simultaneous connections, you and your family can watch the most popular Netflix movies on separate devices at once. Atlas VPN supports Windows, macOS, Android and iOS operating systems. It also has browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, and dedicated apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV for streaming Netflix together with your friends.
Furthermore, you shouldn’t worry about buffering – this VPN supports the revolutionary WireGuard protocol that provides excellent speeds and a stable connection for Netflix marathons.
What’s also worth mentioning is that Atlas VPN has a free version which allows connecting to three different locations. You can try using it for unblocking content on Netflix US and Netherlands.
To conclude, Atlas VPN can be a great companion for watching country-specific shows on Netflix. Its dedicated streaming servers and user-friendly apps make it worth the spot on our best Netflix VPN list.
To find out more, read our in-depth Atlas VPN review.
- Unblocks lots of streaming sites
- WireGuard support
- Has a free version
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No Smart DNS
- Small server fleet
How we tested these Netflix VPN services
When making this list of the best VPNs for Netflix, the biggest factor was the app’s ability to unblock the famous streaming site by changing your Netflix account region. However, there are a few more factors that we took into account:
- US Netflix testing. Since the American content library of Netflix is the largest, we tested each VPN’s ability to unblock it. All of the VPNs we included can access the US library.
- International Netflix testing. We also tested various Netflix libraries, including the UK, Canada, Germany, France, and many more, with each VPN. We only included providers that are capable of unblocking more than 5 content libraries.
- Speed. Poor speeds can ruin your Netflix marathon due to buffering issues. For this reason, we used our speed test tool to pick only those VPNs that guarantee high speed retention rates. We prioritized services that offer fast tunneling protocols like WireGuard and NordLynx.
- Features for streaming. Most of the VPN services for Netflix we listed have features like Smart DNS (that helps you watch Netflix on devices that don’t support VPNs) or dedicated IPs (which can help you unblock content when regular IPs become useless).
- Country selection. We selected VPNs that have a wide choice of servers and their locations. This way, you are more likely to access numerous Netflix libraries.
Apps and supported devices. As Netflix is also available as an application for Android and iOS phones, we picked only those VPNs that flawlessly work on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Customer support. It’s not uncommon to run into issues with Netflix. Therefore, we only included providers that offer at least a few high-quality customer support options.
- Price. All of the VPN services on this list offer a great feature-to-price ratio, especially if you consider their long-term subscription.
Why do I need a VPN for Netflix?
Since Netflix is available in over 190 countries, you might wonder why you would need a VPN for this streaming platform, right? Well, here are the main reasons to get a VPN for Netflix:
- Unlock different Netflix country libraries. By connecting to a VPN, your local IP address, along with the location, gets changed and this allows you to access geo-restricted content. Meaning, you get to enjoy the same Netflix movies and shows as if you were in the US or any other country that your VPN provider unblocks.
- Secure public wifi connections. We all end up in situations where we have to kill some time which leads us to connecting to public Wi-Fi to stream Netflix. Yet, public wifi is somewhat of a parasite that can infect your privacy. A VPN will encrypt your traffic and secure your privacy while you enjoy streaming Inventing Anna at the airport.
- Watch Netflix on multiple devices. This streaming platform is widely-adored for the possibility to access your profile on each device you have. Fortunately, the best Netflix VPNs do offer this possibility as well. That being said, you can simultaneously connect several or unlimited devices to a VPN and enjoy unblocked Netflix on all of them.
- Boost your network speed. How so? A VPN helps you to avoid the bandwidth throttling that your ISP can sometimes cause. Meaning, not only does the speed improve but you also get to save up your money as you end up using fewer network data.
How to watch Netflix with a VPN
Watching Netflix with a VPN is a pretty straightforward process. However, if you’ve never done this before, we’ve got you!
Here is a general step-by-step guide showing how to use a VPN to watch Netflix:
- Install a VPN. NordVPN works well with Netflix.
- Log in or register an account.
- Connect to a server located in a country of your desired Netflix library.
- Go to the Netflix website/app and enjoy watching!
My Netflix VPN is not working – what to do?
If you’ve already bought a yearly subscription to a VPN and it suddenly stopped working with Netflix (while it’s already past the money-back guarantee period), don’t worry too quickly. There are a few things you can try before canceling your VPN subscription:
- Try a bunch of different servers in the same country (as there might be an IP address left that isn’t yet blocked) or simply wait and try again later – you may be in luck this time.
- Ask customer support for help. A support agent can point out which servers unblock certain Netflix libraries. Or maybe your VPN has launched specialized streaming servers that you can use for an extra buck or so.
- Buy a static IP address that belongs only to you or a select group of people – small enough not to be suspected as an IP that belongs to a VPN service. Keep in mind that your static IP will be bound to a single country and that it doesn’t guarantee access to geo-blocked Netflix content.
If the solutions listed above don’t work for you and if you are facing a message informing you about the Netflix error code m7111-1331-5059, then you might need to take additional steps that would clear the situation.
Finally, you shouldn’t forget that shows and movies are usually available in multiple countries. So, just try another server from a neighboring country and see if that solves the issue.
Netflix libraries that you can access with a VPN
In case you’re wondering which Netflix libraries you can access with a VPN, you might find the table below pretty useful.
|VPN provider||Number of libraries||Netflix libraries|
|NordVPN||21||US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands, Spain, India, Brazil, South Korea, Finland, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan|
|Surfshark VPN||29||US, UK, EU, Canada, India, Australia, Turkey, Singapore, Japan, Israel, Chile, Colombia, Switzerland, Argentina, Mexico, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, Bahamas, Bolivia, Brazil, Indonesia, Peru, Philippines, Serbia, UAE, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela|
|IPVanish||17||US, UK, UAE, Taiwan, Switzerland, New Zealand, Peru, Serbia, India, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica|
|Atlas VPN||15||US, UK, Germany, Italy, Canada, Japan, India, Israel, New Zealand, Switzerland, UAE, Chile, Honk Kong, Mexico, Serbia|
|PrivateVPN||21||US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Singapore, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine|
|Ivacy VPN||7||US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, France, Germany|
|PureVPN||6||US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Africa|
|Proton VPN||5||US, UK, Canada, Australia, Switzerland|
|Norton VPN||3||US, Australia, Poland|
However, keep in mind that some of the info might differ at the time of reading this article. Current IP addresses can get blocked, forcing the VPN provider to change the strategy. Also, the bigger the number of servers and locations is, the better list of Netflix libraries a VPN can be proud of.
VPNs that don't work with Netflix
Unfortunately, there are many VPN services that are currently blocked by Netflix. These include some of the top services, such as:
- Private Internet Access (PIA). Despite its huge server fleet, PIA VPN didn’t manage to unblock the US or the UK content of Netflix. However, some user reports suggest that you might have some luck with some of the more obscure servers.
- Mullvad VPN. Right now, this VPN only allows you to watch geo-blocked content on YouTube. It doesn’t allow you to access Netflix or BBC iPlayer.
- TorGuard VPN. TorGuard isn’t the best VPN for Netflix because it can’t unblock this streaming site. However, you won’t get any proxy error - it will still let you watch the content available in your country.
- Avira Phantom VPN. Even though this VPN offers decent security services, it isn’t capable of unblocking major streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Currently, Avira Phantom VPN only gives access to YouTube videos.
- AVG Secure VPN. AVG Secure VPN only unblocks BBC iPlayer and YouTube. Unfortunately, it fails to bypass Hulu and Netflix VPN blocks.
Keep in mind that the situation with VPN services and Netflix is constantly changing. If a VPN can’t unblock this streaming site today, it doesn’t mean that it won’t work tomorrow.
Netflix is currently one of the most popular streaming platforms available in over 190 countries. Unfortunately, not every region has access to the same movies, TV shows, and series. In other words, you can’t watch other country’s exclusive content unless you have a reputable Netflix VPN.
NordVPN is our best Netflix VPN choice that can easily help you unblock 21 different content libraries and watch your favorite shows from anywhere. It has user-friendly apps for both mobile and desktop devices, as well as the SmartDNS feature that allows you to stream Netflix on Smart TVs and gaming consoles.
Have you already tried one of our best VPNs for Netflix? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
What is the best VPN for Netflix?
Right now, one of the best working VPNs for Netflix is NordVPN. In our tests, it managed to unlock streaming libraries from different countries including the US, the UK, and Canada. It’s also one of the cheapest options out there.
Can I access my Netflix in another country?
Yes, you can access your Netflix account from any country where Netflix is available. However, keep in mind that the video streaming service will display the content of the country you’re connecting from. As a result, the selection of movies and shows will differ.
In addition to this, there may be some differences in maturity ratings, as well as the selection of current downloaded titles on your device. One last thing to keep in mind is the change in the available languages and subtitles.
Can I share Netflix with family in another country?
Yes. It doesn’t make a difference if your family members are in a different country than you. Still, you should be aware of your Netflix subscription type, as the Basic plan doesn’t support simultaneous connections. To conveniently share your Netflix subscription with family members, you should look into the Standard and Premium plans that allow for two and four simultaneous connections respectively.
On which devices can I unblock Netflix with a VPN?
You can unblock Netflix on those devices that are supported by your chosen VPN. For example, NordVPN is compatible with all major OS, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Also, you can even use it for Netflix on Kodi, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV.
Can I use a VPN with Netflix directly through my router?
Yes, it’s possible to access Netflix with a VPN installed on your router. In fact, it’s an excellent solution for those who own devices that don’t support VPNs on their own, like Roku, Google TV, Chromecast, and others.
Which country has the best Netflix library?
Ireland has the biggest Netflix library (6,379 titles). Other countries with the biggest libraries are as follows: Malaysia (6,361), Indonesia (6,264), the Philippines (6,196), Canada (6,162), the Czech Republic (6,129), Singapore (5,960), and the UK (5,954).
Why does Netflix block VPNs?
Netflix blocks VPNs because you’re violating the copyright agreement once you try to use a VPN. In other words, Netflix doesn’t have the right to stream the same content all over the world. The agreement is important to maintain Netflix as a fair platform that offers only law-friendly streaming services.
Can Netflix suspend my account for using a VPN?
No, your account won’t get blocked. Even though Netflix’s terms and conditions state that you can’t trick the service in such a way, it isn’t declared that using a VPN will result in an account suspension.
What is the best free VPN for Netflix?
If you’re looking for a free VPN for Netflix, keep in mind that free services can rarely access geo-restricted streaming sites. Instead, opt for free trials and money-back guarantees. For example, you can use the 7-day trial of NordVPN on top of a 30-day refund policy.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for Netflix?
No, it’s completely legal to use a VPN for Netflix. While using a VPN is against their Terms of Service, Netflix doesn’t even ban your account. The worst that can happen is they detect it and display a proxy error message until you turn the VPN off.