Twitter has 187 million active users around the world. The social media platform is a popular source for news and conversation - alongside a valuable marketing and social listening tool.
Many organizations, like schools, workplaces, and colleges, restrict access to Twitter to eliminate the distractions it presents. In some cases, entire countries have blocked Twitter because of the political nature of the platform.
However, you can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to navigate bans and geo-blocks. A VPN will change your location by providing a new IP address - in turn bypassing network or regional blocks. It will also provide valuable security benefits, such as data encryption and split tunneling.
To get started, we’ve provided a simple step-by-step guide to unblocking Twitter with a VPN below.
Unblock Twitter with a VPN from anywhere: a short guide
- Find a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in your chosen location.
- Access Twitter and tweet/scroll freely!
Why do you need a VPN for Twitter?
When browsing the internet, the network you’re using provides you with an IP address. This IP address relates directly to your location. This means that whatever website you’re looking to use will check your IP address before granting or blocking your access.
However, a VPN will hide your actual IP address so that you can bypass geo-restrictions and network bans in countries such as Russia, China, India, and more. All you need to do is connect your VPN to a server in a location where Twitter isn’t blocked!
Alongside unblocking Twitter access from anywhere, a VPN is an essential security tool for all devices. It encrypts your online traffic, which protects you from government bodies, hackers, and advertisers. This keeps your data safe and your activity anonymous at all times.
Not all VPN providers are created equally, though, as some are not capable of unblocking Twitter. To help you out, we’ve put together a list of our top three options below.
3 Best Twitter VPNs in 2023
Not sure where to start when picking a VPN?
With so many choices on the market, it can be difficult to figure out where to begin - especially as VPN providers vary a lot in terms of offerings: security, speed, number of available servers, and other features that make a huge difference.
We’ve put numerous VPNs to the test and narrowed down our top options to use with Twitter. Each provider boasts premium security, excellent features, and fast loading speeds. What is more, they all offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can easily test them out without any commitment.
Check out our three favorite providers for unblocking Twitter below:
1. NordVPN: best overall VPN for unblocking Twitter
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
NordVPN is one of the most secure and reliable VPN providers in the market. It has over 5500servers around the world, making it the largest of all major VPN providers. This means that you will never struggle to find an IP address in a location of your choice.
Alongside being super fast and reliable, NordVPN lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously. The result? All of your devices are protected with a single subscription!
NordVPN also provides a wide range of security benefits that will keep your data and devices safe online. These include split tunneling, a kill switch, and end-to-end encryption. For the best deals, check out the available NordVPN coupon codes.
Try out the software before you commit using a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Advanced security features
- Over 5500 servers worldwide
- Multi-login for up to 6 devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No router app
2. Surfshark - Best value VPN for unblocking Twitter
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
When it comes to savvy spending, Surfshark is an excellent option. It offers slightly lower prices than NordVPN and IPVanish, without compromising on quality or features.
Surfshark has 3200+ servers across 100 countries, so it’s super easy to switch to an IP address in a location where Twitter isn’t blocked. The provider is also very fast (IKEv2 of 219.8/38.5), and it allows unlimited connections with a single subscription.
This VPN provides a host of excellent security features, such as end-to-end encryption and split tunneling. What is more, Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as well as a 7-day free trial and fantastic discounted deals.
- Competitive pricing plans
- Sophisticated security features
- Unlimited connections
- 7-day free trial
- No split tunneling on iOS available
3. IPVanish - Strong security at a great price
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🔎Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 72% OFF|
IPVanish is a great choice for anyone looking to unblock Twitter in 2023. Not only does it have download speeds that retain up to 90% of the original performance, but it also boasts a wide range of security benefits.
From data encryption to split tunneling, IPVanish will keep your device and data safe at all times. The provider has 2000+ servers across 75 locations, so changing your IP address will always be a breeze. You can also protect all of your devices simultaneously with a single subscription.
IPVanish offers not only a 30-day money-back guarantee but also promises brilliant customer service that will be there for you 24/7. In addition, you can snatch great deals with IPVanish coupon codes - find the most attractive discounts here.
- Round the clock customer support
- Unlimited device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Browser extensions unavailable
So, why can’t you access Twitter?
There are many possible explanations as to why you can’t access Twitter. These include:
- Government censorship. Governments have the power to block Twitter across the country using firewall restrictions. It is currently blocked in numerous locations, including Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea.
- Institutional blocks. Your workplace, college, or school may block access to Twitter to eliminate the distractions caused by this social media platform.
- Geo-blocks. Although Twitter itself is not geo-blocked, a lot of the content on the platform can be subject to geo-restrictions. Twitter can restrict tweets and accounts in specific locations to comply with legal requests and copyright laws.
Fortunately, you can overcome all of these obstacles by using a VPN to change your IP address and location.
Countries where Twitter is blocked
In this section, we’ve compiled a list of countries where Twitter access is blocked. We’ve also advised on the best VPNs for travel to use to get around the restrictions in each location.
|Country where Twitter is blocked||Best VPN to bypass restrictions|
How to unblock Twitter at school or work
If you’re struggling to access Twitter at school or work, we have a few tricks up our sleeve.
- Use the web version. In some instances, networks don’t block specific sites. Instead, they manage to access sites by limiting your ability to install EXE files on your computer when using the network. This means you won’t be able to download the Twitter app, but you may be able to access it on your browser instead.
- Use a VPN. Use a VPN to effectively change your IP address and bypass any network restrictions put in place by your workplace or school. To help you out, we have a whole list of brilliant anonymous VPNs.
- Use a proxy. A proxy will give you a fresh IP address so that you can overcome network or regional restrictions. You can install a proxy through the browser extension store for your Chrome or Firefox. However, while a VPN will encrypt all your internet traffic and keep your identity safely hidden, a proxy is far less reliable.
Unblock Twitter on your device
The steps for unblocking Twitter will vary ever so slightly - depending on the device that you use. Below, you’ll find handy instructions for unblocking Twitter on your Android, iOS, Laptop, and PC.
Want more guidance on choosing the most suitable VPN for your device? Check out our reviews below:
Want to browse Twitter on your Android? Check out our simple instructions:
- Pick a reliable VPN that works with Twitter. We recommend NordVPN.
- Open the Google Play Store and download the VPN mobile app
- Head to the settings in the VPN app
- Enable Override GPS location
- Locate Build Number in your phone settings and tap seven times
- In Developer Options, click Select Mock Location App
- Select your VPN, and you’re all set!
Top tip: ensure that the location on your Google Play Store matches the country that your VPN is connecting to. This can be sorted within the settings of your phone.
iOS (iPhone, iPad)
If you wish to unblock Twitter and change your location on iOS, these instructions are for you:
- Select a reputable VPN. NordVPN is a firm favorite.
- Head to the App Store to download the mobile app for your VPN
- Open the VPN app and connect to your chosen server
- Your IP address will be changed
- Open Twitter and start tweeting!
Top tip: check that the location of your App Store matches the country that your VPN is connecting to.
PC or Laptop
Using a PC or laptop to access Twitter? Follow our steps below:
- Select a VPN that works well with Twitter. NordVPN is an excellent choice.
- Install the VPN directly onto your device
- Find a server in a location where Twitter is not blocked
- Connect to the server to change your IP address
- Open Twitter in your web browser or dedicated app, and enjoy!
Top tip: you may need to clear the cache and cookies on your device to enjoy access to Twitter.
Is it legal to unblock Twitter with a VPN?
Twitter users all over the world can rest assured knowing that it’s perfectly legal to unblock the platform with a VPN. A VPN simply creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and a server, so that you can connect to the internet without being detected.
The practice, however, is illegal in situations where VPNs themselves are banned - this is the case in locations like North Korea, Oman, Belarus, and others.
Even though there are other legal methods for unblocking Twitter and changing your location (such as a GPS spoofing app or proxy), we don’t recommend it. A VPN is by far the most reliable and secure means of unblocking Twitter from anywhere in the world.
Struggling to connect to Twitter, even with a VPN?
So you’ve installed a VPN and still can’t seem to connect to Twitter? Don’t panic - there are many plausible explanations. We’ll take you through a few now:
- You’re connected to a server in a location where Twitter is blocked
- Your real IP address could be leaking
- Your device isn’t compatible with the VPN you’ve chosen
- The GPS location on your device doesn’t match up with the IP address on your VPN
- Cookies on your device are giving the game away and showing your real location
- Your VPN can’t bypass the restrictions put in place by the region or network
To overcome these issues, here are some solutions you can try:
- Connect to a different server
- Make sure that the IP leak protection settings are enabled on your VPN
- Use an alternative browser to launch Twitter
- Contact the customer support team for your VPN
- Clear the cache and cookies on your device
Check out this article to learn more about the best VPNs for multiple devices.
Unblock Twitter with a free VPN
We understand the appeal of free VPN providers. Why pay for a service when there are so many free alternatives on the market? Unfortunately - there are multiple reasons why this is a bad idea.
Free VPNs fall short when it comes to functionality, security, and reliability. They are frequently funded through the use of tracked ads and the sale of your data - which leaves you open to risk. Free models usually have data caps, too, so you’ll be limited in what you can do.
If you’re determined to give a free VPN a shot, then we would advise that you try ProtonVPN or Atlas VPN. Both models are generally quite reliable, and they don’t have a pesky data cap! Some VPNs also offer free trials - you can try out the first 7 days without spending a dime using Surfshark!
Our final thoughts
As Twitter is such a powerful and wide-reaching platform, it’s not that surprising that some organizations, ISPs, and governments block access.
Like most restricted websites, Twitter is blocked based on the IP address of the user. By using a VPN to access Twitter, you will be connected to a remote VPN server. This gives you a fresh IP address, so you can bypass network restrictions and tweet freely. A VPN is also a valuable security tool, as it keeps your device and data protected as well as your online activity hidden.
Have you managed to unblock Twitter with a VPN? Your feedback helps us to build more informative and useful guides - so we’d love to hear how you got on! Please leave us a comment in the section below.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
- How to change location on Facebook
- How to unblock Twitch
- How to unblock Spotify restricted songs
- How to change location on Tinder
- How to change location on Instagram
- How to unblock Telegram
Does Twitter work with a VPN?
How can I access Twitter through a VPN?
Download a VPN and connect to a server in a location where Twitter is readily available. Then you’re all set and can access Twitter immediately! NordVPN is highly-suitable for this job!
Why isn’t my Twitter working - even with a VPN?
There are a few possible reasons why Twitter isn’t working with your VPN. Maybe your IP address is leaking, or your VPN is incompatible with your device. We’ve outlined potential causes and solutions in this article!
How do I unblock the Twitter website?
Use a VPN to connect to a server in a location where Twitter isn’t blocked. Now you can bypass restrictions and unblock the Twitter website. We recommend that you choose a VPN with a large number of servers, such as NordVPN, as this will open up more possibilities for changing your IP address.