Best antivirus software for Windows 10
Windows is the most popular OS on the market. It's also a #1 target for hackers. That's why most malware is specifically developed for Windows machines. It's done with the intent to affect the biggest number of people and is a cause of concern.
While Windows 10 and 11 come with a built-in Windows Defender, it may not always catch up with the most recent viruses. That's why it makes sense to turn to a dedicated third-party antivirus provider. This helps to stay safe and patch up potential security holes in your system.
Still, there are many providers to choose from, and you may not always understand how they differ. To make things more simple, I've selected the best antiviruses for Windows 10. With them installed, you'll have a strong shield against malware.
Best Windows 10 antiviruses
- Norton Antivirus - best antivirus for Windows 10
- Bitdefender - inclusive Windows 10 antivirus
- Surfshark AV – trustworthy Windows antivirus for everyday use
- TotalAV Antivirus - all the essentials that you need
- McAfee Total Protection - great antivirus for multiple devices
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get Norton Antivirus today - 66% OFF!
What to look for in the best antivirus for Windows 10?
When you're shopping for a Windows 10 antivirus, you're looking for the service that will be the final frontier against malware. Essentially, your workflow, files, and privacy depend on the quality of the service. Here are the points that you should keep in mind when choosing an antivirus for Windows 10.
- Malware labs scores. Ensure that the service you're considering actually has the muscle power to keep viruses at bay. Several independent malware labs publish their monthly results, showing how select antiviruses blocked many threats. Using them, you can evaluate how good service is at keeping you safe.
- Efficiency. Some antiviruses perform continuous scans in the background and hog your CPU or memory. Be sure that the antivirus service that you've chosen won't clog up your device.
- Features. Some antiviruses allow you to scan only USB thumb drives or perform quick scans in the system locations. Others, add additional tools like VPNs or registry cleaners, so depending on what you use the most, you can get a complete bundle that has everything you need.
- Customer support. If you're paying for a premium product, you should have adequate customer support options that go with it. In rare times when you run into issues, a timely customer support agent's response can be invaluable.
- Price. If you're buying antivirus for the first time, it can be intimidating. Even then, it's no guarantee that buying the most expensive plan will give you the best protection. Evaluate whether the price you're paying is proportional to the value of the suite you're getting.
The best Windows 10 antivirus apps – our detailed list:
Below, you'll find the best antivirus for Windows 10 providers in more detailed descriptions. Every single one of them complies with our highest standards and meets cybersecurity experts' expectations. Each of them has several strengths and weaknesses that you should consider before hitting that "Buy" button. In any case, here are the best ones that made the cut.
1. Norton 360 Antivirus – best antivirus software for Windows 10
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 66% OFF Norton Antivirus 🔥|
Recently Norton 360 merged with Avast and formed a super-cybersecurity company. Naturally, their product is one of the best antivirus services on the market. The package includes virtually everything that you'd need to make your PC immune to viruses.
You're getting all the essentials, including AI-powered real-time protection that prevents viruses, malware, spyware, and ransomware from harming your device. There's also a two-way Firewall that monitors both received and sent network traffic. It catches intrusions, for example, when someone is using a backdoor to steal your files.
The suite also includes Norton Secure VPN to encrypt your traffic, which hides your connection logs even if your internet service provider keeps tabs on you. Then, there's a password manager that stores your credentials in an encrypted vault. You can even store your most important files in Norton PC file backup.
While providing many features and value, Norton 360 is gentle enough for your system's resources. Plus, you don't need to be an IT graduate to find your way around this antivirus. While their prices aren't the lowest, you're truly getting the gold antivirus standard. Plus, they're frequently running special deals, so there are opportunities to save money off your purchase.
For more information, read our Norton antivirus review.
- Excellent protection
- Plenty of extras
- Powerful identity-theft suite
- Low resource usage
- No free version
2. Bitdefender Antivirus Plus – excellent, all-inclusive antivirus package
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get all Bitdefender plans at 60% OFF! 🔥|
Bitdefender is widely considered one of the best antivirus providers. It attracts the crowd with its free version and knocks it out of the park with its premium one. So, whichever is your budget, Bitdefender will be a perfect fit.
In terms of security, this antivirus brings a gun to a knife fight. It includes real-time protection, advanced threat defense, web attack prevention, and anti-phishing filters. This is a complete powerhouse that will keep you safe even if you're in the habit of clicking links on shady websites.
To top it off, Bitdefender provides a ton of additional features. This includes antispam, which scans every email's header to filter out spam and phishing emails. Then, there's SafePay – a sandboxed and secure browser for online payments. There are modern additions like microphone and webcam protection to ensure that no one is spying on you via your own PC.
That said, if you're using an older device, Bitdefender might slow your system quite a bit. It runs frequent background scans, so if your PC is already having a hard time with more demanding tasks, it can become slower. Tough, on the other hand, it packs the most features into a budget-friendly package.
If you want to find out more, take a look at our in-depth Bitdefender review.
- Excellent free version
- Great value for money
- Frequent updates
- Exceptional scores in independent tests
- Full VPN access requires paying extra
- Could use fewer resources while running in background
3. Surfshark AV – reliable everyday Windows antivirus
|Platforms:||Windows, Android, macOS|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 81% OFF Surfshark Antivirus! 🔥|
Something rather unusual – Surfshark VPN – which now comes together with an antivirus program. And having high hopes for this provider’s security bundle is completely legitimate.
Surfshark One is a lightweight security bundle that offers you all-around security. It covers all essential features, such as device scanning which allows you to schedule your scans in terms of items and timing. You can also benefit from safe online searching by using Surfshark’s secure search engine. In case your data is threatened, you will receive security alerts. And, finally, your online traffic will be protected with Surfshark’s VPN which stands in our best VPNs list.
Luckily, Surfshark has upgraded the antivirus software for Windows and implemented a real-time protection feature which was earlier available only on Android devices. Nevertheless, Surfshark can already improve your cybersecurity in a user-friendly and reliable way.
Overall, it's an all-in-one solution, combining everything you need to stay safe online. And you may secure up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Learn more about this fresh AV in our Surfshark AV review!
- Extremely strong VPN included
- CleanWeb feature
- Secure search engine
- Excellent customer support
- No firewall
- ID check isn't available in all countries
4. TotalAV – antivirus package that includes all essentials
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get TotalAV, now 84% OFF! 🔥|
TotalAV actively competes against antivirus market leaders to provide quality protection against all kinds of digital threats. To access its most basic version, you don't even have to become a paying user, it's available for free. Meanwhile, paying users are getting a complete suite that increases your overall security.
It's capable of protecting against threats ranging from ransomware to phishing emails. The tool is constantly monitoring your device for new threats. While it may sound like it should hog your system's resources, there's really nothing to worry about. The performance impact is minimal. You'll barely notice that the background scans are happening.
Like other providers, TotalAV also adds a bunch of additional features to make your experience more complete. There's a TotalAV's Safe Browsing VPN, which encrypts your connection and changes your public IP. Then, there's a WebShield Chrome extension that filters out malicious websites and their password manager.
While it brings a lot of value, its price doesn't bite – it's one of the cheapest antivirus tools. Plus, you will be getting a lot of things with the antivirus. It could make you think it would be cheaper to get everything in one bundle rather than dealing with several separate providers.
To find out more, read our in-depth TotalAV review.
- Good protection against most cyberthreats
- A basic free version
- Fast customer support response times
- Real-time and cloud protection
- Includes optimisation tools
- Only covers six devices
- The browser extension isn’t particularly user friendly
5. McAfee Total Protection – awesome network protection
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get McAfee, save up to 67% 🔥|
During the years of partnership with Intel, McAfee got a lot of bad rep. It went as far as being called bloatware and was universally disliked among Windows users. Fast forward to 2022, and it's one of the best antivirus services for Windows PC.
McAfee can confidently protect you from ransomware, cryptojacking, and malware. Its real-time protection is always on, and it watches over everything that you do on your device. So, whether you're surfing online or inserting a thumb drive that came from someone else, McAfee will have your back.
There are some nice to have features, as well. For instance, if you want to quickly and safely delete files without recovery, there's a file shredder. The suite also includes a vulnerability scanner to go through potential weak spots that hackers could exploit. You also get their web extension and password manager, so it's a full suite.
Its independent malware lab scores also have a good track record at blocking the most recent threats. Their resilience against malware and many useful added features make McAfee one of the best antivirus packages that you could find. Price-wise it's also one of the most affordable ones out there.
To find out more, read our in-depth McAfee review.
- All plans support major platforms
- Generous device limits
- Basic package is feature-rich
- Solid firewall
- Home Network Security feature is a godsend
- Some independent test results are poor
- Performance could be better
6. Avira Antivirus – best option for users on a tight budget
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 1 year of Avira at 40% OFF! 🔥|
Avira is known as lightweight antivirus that performs like a heavyweight champion. It's accessible for users for free and as a paid service. If you like to test the service before buying, Avira will adapt to your preferences.
The service can also boast about its multiple awards for malware detection rates. They hold an almost near-perfect track record: during the February-March period of 2020, it blocked 100% of the test samples. It was during quarantine months when hackers were especially active as most people were locked inside their homes.
Yet, even aside from their antivirus scanner, Avira has many offerings. Their antivirus bundle also includes Phantom VPN, password manager, safe shopping, and file shredder features. If you're a paying user, you will be getting a pretty good bundle that includes useful cybersecurity tools.
Some even more expensive plans, like Prime, also add VIP customer support, unlimited VPN, price comparison tool, and premium mobile apps. You also get free access to their upcoming products. So, whether this option is worth it to you depends on many features.
As a bonus, with most plans, you can use a single account to protect multiple devices. That allows you to protect the devices of all your household members.
To find out more, read our in-depth Avira antivirus review.
- Protection from ransomware
- Intuitive user interface
- Integrated VPN
- Useful browser extensions
- Extra mobile features
- Might report false positives
- The free version lacks the web protection feature
How we selected and tested these antiviruses
Every month, we review new antivirus services and check the ones we've already tested to see any changes. We also consult with independent malware labs to find out which antiviruses are the safest. Based on all this data, we hand-picked a select number of them. Here's what criteria we used to find the best antivirus for Windows:
- Malware lab scores. Several malware labs field-test every antivirus service. Their research provides us with detailed reports on how each antivirus service stacks against each other. We picked only those that were favorably evaluated.
- Additional features. Some features might make a world of difference, i.e., Firewall or real-time protection. If you have a complete arsenal of tools, it will be easier to fight back malware.
- Reputation. If you can, you should always check what your service provider did in the past. Maybe some black spots could make the service not too suitable to be your antivirus provider? All antiviruses on this list pass this check.
- Customer support. Even if you run into some issues, it's much easier to solve when you have help. Antiviruses tend to be complex products, so it's never a bad idea to check how the service performs in this department.
- Price. If you're buying something, you're looking for the best possible monetary value for your money. Some antiviruses have much better value scales than others, all of which could be a factor in which service you should pick.
Do I really need antivirus for Windows 10?
Windows 10 already includes Windows Defender. It's an antivirus that's built into your system. Microsoft is trying to update it quite frequently to keep you safe. Even though it's integrated into the OS, it's a fully-fledged antivirus tool.
Compare to the built-in options, third-party antivirus usually reacts faster to threats – and offers a lot of excellent additional features. For top-class protection, it's always best to invest into a third-party antivirus provider.Get Norton Antivirus
As to whether you'd want to add a third-party provider instead of Windows Defender, it's up to you. Third-party antivirus providers usually react to threats faster and add a lot of additional features. So, if you're looking for the best kind of protection, you should invest in a third-party antivirus provider.
Also, once you install an additional security program, Windows Defender operates in the background to check whether your chosen antivirus works properly. For example, if the real-time protection is enabled and if services are responding. So using a third-party antivirus together with Windows Defender adds an extra layer of protection.
How do I install antivirus on my Windows 10?
The process to install antivirus on Windows 10 is no different from other programs set up. You'll be using the provider's app, so you need to install it on your machine.
- Head to the provider's official page. We recommend Norton Antivirus.
- Register and pay for your subscription plan.
- Download an installer's executable file.
- Follow the instruction wizard and complete the installation.
- Log in to your account, and begin the first run scan.
What is the best free antivirus for Windows 10?
Currently, Bitdefender has the best free antivirus version for Windows 10 on the market.
While many quality antiviruses won't break your bank, it may happen that you're not in the position to pay for an antivirus. In that case, it's perfectly acceptable to use a free antivirus, but it does come with several caveats.
First of all, the free version of a product won't have many features. If you're looking into Firewalls or real-time protection capabilities, likely, they won't be available. This leaves you with generic full system scan options, which might not be enough.
Secondly, not all antivirus providers offer free versions. Some of them, like Norton, and ESET only have premium offerings. The only way to test them is with a money-back guarantee. That way, you can test the service without paying and ask for a refund before time runs out.
Video review: Best antivirus for Windows 10
Whether you're looking for the best antivirus for Windows to increase your overall security, or get rid of viruses from your hard drive, now you have a reference. I hope that this guide makes your decision easier, and now you would be much better informed.
A quality antivirus service not only helps against malware but is a multi-functional tool to keep you safe when you're browsing the web, working, or exchanging files. Still, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them in the comment section below.
More Anti-Virus guides from CyberNews:
Best antivirus for Chromebook: protect your Chromebook laptop or tablet against all types of malware
Best free antivirus software: don't spend a dime and get the best tools for the job
Best antivirus for Windows 10: secure your device from potential threats or attacks
Which antivirus software is the best for Windows 10?
According to our tests, the best antivirus software for Windows 10 is Norton. It adds many additional features and provides reliable protection against all kinds of malware.
Which is better Norton or McAfee for Windows 10?
The better antivirus for Windows 10 is, without a doubt, Norton 360. Norton adds more features, has a lesser impact on PC performance, has better prices, more convenient user interface, and has more customer support channels.
Does Windows 10 have its own virus protection?
Yes, every Windows PC has a built-in Windows Security suite that includes virus and threat protection. This acts as a default antivirus that comes with every Windows 10 or 11 installation.