Best Joomla hosting of 2021: 5 best web hosting solutions
In this article, I’ll go over the 5 best Joomla hosting providers. I’ve also provided a comprehensive section on how to pick the best hosting provider at the end.
Joomla is the world’s second most popular CMS (Content Management System), right after WordPress, powering over 2.5 million websites. Just like with WordPress, with Joomla, you can create all sorts of websites, starting from simple blogs to complex eCommerce sites.
If you wish to host a Joomla website, there are only a few things to be mindful of:
- Modern hardware,
- Latest software,
- Generous server resources,
- Good performance.
With these factors in mind, I’ve shortlisted some of the best hosting providers that had great resources, Joomla-enhancing features, affordable prices, and good performance.
So without further ado, below are my picks for the 5 best Joomla hosting providers.
Best Joomla hosting: ranked
- Hostinger – the overall best Joomla hosting provider
- ScalaHosting – affordable and powerful VPS hosting for Joomla
- HostGator – well-rounded Joomla hosting provider
- InterServer – the most secure Joomla hosting solution
- GoDaddy – best Joomla hosting for small business sites
Not sure which of these 5 providers to choose? Here’s the guide on how to pick the best Joomla hosting that will surely help.
|Features||Free SSL, automated backups, DDoS, hPanel, PHP 8.0|
|Best for||Cheap and speedy website hosting|
Hostinger offers an irresistible mix of affordability and excellent features for all content management systems, Joomla included. You can get Joomla web hosting for as low as $1.39/mo. However, despite its super cheap pricing, you’ll get a powerful server infrastructure to ensure speedy performance.
Here are a few specifics, that you can expect from Hostinger:
- Although Hostinger is very affordable, it does not cheap out in terms of performance. The host comes with the latest PHP versions, LiteSpeed web server technology, and pre-configured caching.
- All the basic security tools and functionalities – automated backups, internal security with mod_security and PHP open_basedir, and DDoS protection.
- Physical servers are located in 7 locations worldwide (the US, the UK, Netherlands, Lithuania, Brazil, Indonesia, and Singapore). For the best user experience and fastest load time, pick the closest server to your audience.
- The host includes a beginner-friendly and simple custom control panel, hPanel. The panel itself is easy to use and comes with all the necessary tools, 1-click Joomla installation included.
All in all, Hostinger is an excellent bang-for-the-buck Joomla hosting provider. It’s a great option for beginners and users planning to start any website of your choice on the cheap.
Hostinger offers 3 shared hosting packages that support Joomla. The prices vary from $1.39/mo to $3.99/mo.
All plans come with a free SSL certificate, weekly backups, and at least 1 email account.
Apart from this, all the other features are plan-specific:
- Single ($1.39/mo) – includes hosting for 1 site, 30GB disk space, and 100GB bandwidth with a limit of 10,000 monthly visitors.
- Premium ($2.59/mo) – allows hosting up to 100 websites and includes 100GB storage, unlimited bandwidth, and a limit of 25,000 monthly visitors. Apart from this, you also get a free domain and unlimited databases.
- Business ($3.99/mo) – host up to 100 websites and get 200GB SSD storage, unlimited bandwidth, and allocation for 100,000 monthly visitors. Other than this, you get all other perks of the Premium plan and support for daily backups and a free CDN (Content Delivery Network).
The Premium plan boasts the best value for money. For just $2.59/mo, you get to host 100x more websites along with access to more resources, and a free domain.
Despite its budget pricing, Hostinger offers excellent performance.
You get a 99.99% uptime guarantee. However, when I was testing the provider, I got a perfect 100% uptime. No server downtime in sight.
The response time was also good, averaging at 511ms. For reference, the industry average is 600ms.
In sum, Hostinger is very reliable and one of the fastest hosting providers in the industry.
To learn more about Hostinger, I recommend checking out our full review on Hostinger.
Overall, Hosting brings an excellent value for money with its LiteSpeed-based infrastructure and highly reliable servers. This makes it an excellent hosting provider for your next Joomla website.
- Affordable prices starting at $1.39/mo
- Latest PHP and LiteSpeed web server for good performance
- An intuitive and simplistic hPanel
- No free domain with the base Single plan
|Features||Free domain, SSL, PHP 8.0, automated backups, SPanel, SShield|
|Best for||Powerful VPS hosting for a medium-sized Joomla site|
If you’re looking for a managed Joomla hosting solution on a powerful VPS server that’s also light on your pocket, then ScalaHosting is the perfect fit. Additionally, ScalaHosting is the only provider on this list officially recommended by Joomla’s co-founder, Brian Teeman.
- Dedicated resources – unlike with shared hosting, with VPS you get a very clear cut of resources that are entirely dedicated to you only.
- Great performance – the host is pretty well equipped in terms of performance-enhancing tools. The host offers the latest PHP 8.0 versions, as well as the ability to enjoy LiteSpeed technology for optimized site performance. Additionally, you can choose between the US and European data centers, to host your site closer to your target audience.
- A diverse set of security tools – automatic daily backup, dedicated firewall, DDoS protection, SShield security protection, all the necessities to keep your site safe against the most common threats.
- Simplistic user interface – for simplistic site management ScalaHosting offers its SPanel control panel with 1-click Joomla installation available.
ScalaHosting is a great pick if you want to build a Joomla website on powerful infrastructure that doesn’t break your bank.
ScalaHosting offers 4 managed VPS hosting plans, with prices varying from $9.95/mo to $63.95/mo.
All plans include a free domain, SSL, CDN, dedicated IP address, daily remote backups, and SShield security protection.
The main difference between the plans is the resource allocation. Resources can vary from 1 to 6 CPU cores, 20 to 80 GB storage, and 2 to 8GB RAM, depending on the plan.
The entry plan offers the best value for money – $9.95/month for 1 year, totaling $199.4. For that price, you’ll get enough resources and server power to start any Joomla site.
ScalaHosting is a reliable hosting solution for your Joomla website.
Although the host comes with a standard 99.9% uptime guarantee, throughout my time of testing, the site kept a perfect 100% uptime.
In terms of speed, ScalaHosting demonstrated an average response time of 443ms, which is great when compared to the market’s average of 600ms.
In short, ScalaHosting offers top-notch performance with its reliable uptime and fast responses.
To learn more about ScalaHosting, you can check out my in-depth ScalaHosting review.
To sum it up, ScalaHosting is a great managed VPS solution for Joomla site hosting. The provider packs great power, is affordable, and very secure. Simply put, all you might need in one place.
- Affordable fully managed VPS hosting
- Very fast and reliable performance
- An extensive set of security tools
- Renewal prices are on the more expensive side
- Requires more skills than shared hosting
|Features||Unlimited resources, free domain, SSL, cPanel|
|Best for||Affordable small-to-medium Joomla site|
While HostGator is mostly known for its cheap resource-rich plans for the most popular CMS's, Joomla included. Since the host offers “unlimited” plans and focuses on ease of use, it is a popular choice among beginners.
Now let’s take a closer look at what HostGator has to offer:
- HostGator is a very beginner-friendly hosting provider that puts simplicity at the forefront of it all. The host uses a client-beloved cPanel control panel. It’s not only simplistic and well organized but also comes with all the necessary tools for website management, 1-click Joomla installer included.
- The host is pretty generous in terms of resources. All plans come with a free domain, SSL certificate, unlimited email accounts, SSD space, and bandwidth. All of that for just $2.75/mo. Simply put, there are no need for any additional hosting fees.
- HostGator is very attentive when it comes to customer support. The host offers 24/7 live chat and phone support. The response times are quick and the agents are very knowledgeable and willing to help no matter the problem.
Overall, HostGator brings a good mix of useful features, affordable pricing, and ease of use that can’t be ignored. It's a good provider that will help you to build your online presence.
HostGator offers 3 shared hosting plans for Joomla hosting. The prices for said plans range from $2.75/mo to $5.25/mo.
All plans come with a free domain, free SSL, unlimited bandwidth, storage, and email accounts.
The main difference lies with the number of websites you can host:
- Hatchling ($2.75/mo) – allows hosting 1 website.
- Baby ($3.50/mo) – allows hosting an unlimited number of sites.
- Business ($5.25/mo) – on top of unlimited site hosting you get access to a dedicated IP and a free Positive SSL upgrade.
One thing to note, instead of a standard 30-day, HostGator comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
For added freedom, I suggest you check out the Baby plan. It costs only $0.75/mo more than Hatchling and allows you to host unlimited websites. To score the best deal and the lowest monthly price, I recommend choosing a 3-year subscription.
When it comes to performance, HostGator proves to be reliable and fairly fast.
I tested their service for nearly 3 months. During that time, the site experienced only 3 outages, or 5 minutes of downtime, equaling >99.99% uptime. A significantly better percentage from the officially guaranteed 99.9%.
When it comes to speed, the average response time came up to 525ms. While this does not make HostGator the fastest provider out there, it surely falls under the market’s average of 600ms.
However, keep in mind that HostGator’s data centers are located in the US alone, meaning the best performance will be available to the US audiences too.
In simple terms, HostGator is very reliable and packs some decent speed.
To learn more about the hosting provider, you can check out my detailed HostGator review.
Overall, HostGator is a great well-rounded Joomla hosting provider. It focuses on ease of use, ensures good customer service, and has above-average performance. Also, it’s on the more affordable side.
- Affordable pricing starting at $2.75/mo
- Easy to use cPanel with 1-click Joomla installation
- Resource-rich plans
- Basic security features
- Data centers in the US alone
|Features||Unlimited storage, bandwidth, emails, free SSL, automated backups, cPanel|
|Best for||Secure Joomla website hosting|
InterServer offers affordable Joomla hosting plans. Even better, the provider takes a no-nonsense approach and equips you with plenty of resources, a plethora of security tools, and reliable performance.
Here’s a quick highlight of its main features:
- Easy site management – InterServer values simplicity, for that reason it comes with a user-beloved cPanel for site management tasks. Additionally, this is the place where you’ll find the Softaculous app installer – just the tool for Joomla installation.
- Resource-rich plans – all InterServer plans come with unlimited websites, storage, bandwidth, and email accounts. More so, free domain and SSL are also included.
- Extensive security tools – the provider is among some of the most secure hosting providers and includes necessities like free SSL, weekly backups, email spam filtering, file scanning and monitoring, Web Application Firewall, Imunify360, and Inter-Insurance.
- Speedy technology – the host comes with a LiteSpeed Web Server technology for improved performance results.
Overall, InterServer offers budget shared hosting for your Joomla website with access to many advanced bells and whistles generally not seen at this price point.
InterServer offers 3 plans priced between $2.50/mo and $19.95/mo.
Regardless of which plan you pick, you’ll get a free SSL certification, global caching, weekly automatic backups, an InterShield security package, and Inter-Insurance to restore your website in the case of an attack.
While plans share a lot of similarities, the main difference lies within the amount of resources you get with each. It varies from 1 to 4 CPU cores and 2 to 8 GB RAM.
My recommendation is to get the base Standard plan. It comes with everything you’ll need, in terms of resources like storage and bandwidth, to get your Joomla projects off the ground, and will only cost you $30 for the first year.
InterServer has proven to be very reliable and sadly not as fast.
In terms of uptime, InterServer guarantees the industry average of 99.9%. However, in my 3 months of testing, it performed way better, scoring 99.99% uptime with only 13 minutes of downtime.
Now talking about speed, the average response time came up to 662ms. While this is just a tad bit over the industry’s average of 600ms, the time is still considered to be speedy enough.
Additionally, I must note that InterServer has its data centers in the US exclusively. This suggests that the best load time can be expected in the US too.
In sum, InterServer showed near-perfect uptime, yet in the speed department, the provider is not the frontrunner.
To learn more, check out my full review of InterServer.
Overall, InterServer is a great Joomla hosting provider if you’re looking for something affordable yet very secure. The performance is also good if you’re creating a lightweight site like a portfolio website or a small blog.
- Affordable prices starting at $2.50/mo
- An extensive set of security tools
- Easy to use cPanel with 1-click Joomla installer
- Response time is below average
- The servers located in the US alone
|Features||Free domain, unlimited bandwidth, PHP 8.0, cPanel|
|Best for||Small-to-medium business sites|
GoDaddy is a well-known market giant that also offers Joomla hosting. Although the host’s pricing may be seen as a little more premium, GoDaddy comes with generous resources, ease of use, and useful business features to make up for the price.
Here’s a look at some of its relevant features:
- For good performance, GoDaddy allows you to choose from multiple PHP versions (8.0 included) and offers server locations on 3 continents (North America, Europe, and Asia).
- GoDaddy also includes pretty generous resources. Although half of the plans (Economy and Deluxe) lack a free SSL, all plans do come with a domain name, generous storage, and unlimited bandwidth.
- The host takes simplicity seriously. For that reason, GoDaddy uses a user-favored cPanel for all basic and advanced site management tasks. More so, it includes a 1-click installer (Softaculous) that is needed for a quick and simple Joomla installation.
GoDaddy doesn’t offer the cheapest plans but packs in generous resources and ease of use. This makes it appealing to all – advanced and first-time users.
GoDaddy doesn’t offer a dedicated Joomla hosting service, but you can easily install it with a single click on one of its shared hosting plans. You’ll have 4 options to choose from, starting at $2.99/mo and going all the way up to $19.99/mo.
All the plans give you access to a free domain, unmetered bandwidth, and a free 1-year subscription to Microsoft 365 email.
Other features specific to each plan are provided below:
- Economy ($2.99/mo) – is limited to 1 website,100GB storage, and 10 databases.
- Deluxe ($7.99/mo) – hosts unlimited websites, includes unlimited storage and 25 databases.
- Ultimate ($12.99/mo) – on top of Deluxe offerings you get unlimited databases, a free DNS, and a free SSL certificate for a year.
- Maximum ($19.99/mo) – in addition to the Ultimate plan, Maximum comes with a free DNS and free unlimited SSL certificates.
If 1 website is all you need, the best value plan is Economy. With a 3-year subscription, the total will come up to $107.64. For that, you’ll get generous storage, unmetered bandwidth, and a free domain name.
In terms of performance, GoDaddy showed reliable uptime and very much above-average speed.
I have tested the provider for close to 2 months. During that time, I got a very good 99.98% uptime with only 16 minutes of downtime. It’s well above GoDaddy’s 99.9% uptime guarantee, which is certainly great to see.
In terms of speed, I got an average response time of 341ms. This is just barely a half of the market’s average time. I call this very fast.
To make sure that your target audience experiences performance just as good as this, you can opt for the data center closest to it. GoDaddy offers servers in the US, Europe, and Asia.
Shortly, GoDaddy promises good performance and it delivers. The uptime is very good and the response time is just as impressive.
To learn more, check out my full review of GoDaddy.
Overall, GoDaddy brings forth a decent package focused on ease of use and performance. Prices are not cheap, but you’re getting access to third-party professional services like Microsoft 365 Email.
- Supports the latest version of PHP
- Allows you to install Joomla from the cPanel easily
- Fast performance with reliable uptime
- Free security tools are very limited
- SSL is not included with 2 cheapest plans
Best Joomla hosting: final recommendations
Finding the best Joomla hosting is all about having the right technologies backed by powerful server resources and an attractive price tag. With this in mind, I’ve hand-picked these 5 awesome hosting providers for your next Joomla website.
Here’s a quick recap to get you up to speed:
- Hostinger is a performance-oriented and overall the cheapest Joomla hosting provider.
- ScalaHosting is a fully managed VPS hosting provider for a powerful Joomla site.
- HostGator is a beginner-friendly, affordable, and resource-rich Joomla hosting provider.
- InterServer offers the most secure Joomla hosting solution at a budget-friendly price tag.
- GoDaddy is targeted at small businesses with a focus on ease of use and performance.
How to pick the best Joomla hosting
Since Joomla is the second most popular content management system, the number of providers offering Joomla hosting is pretty big. All you have to do is consider a few things, like the technical requirement for a fast Joomla site, your site’s size, and any extra features you might make use of.
When it comes to Joomla requirements, it’s pretty straightforward. To be fair, most providers will offer these technologies by default. However, just to clarify, here’s what Joomla needs to run smoothly:
- Up to date PHP – as of currently, the latest PHP version is 8.0. Some providers already allow you to opt for this version. However, worry not, Joomla itself suggests that you’ll be fine with using either 7.4, 7.3, or even 7.2 versions.
- Nginx or LiteSpeed – these are web server technologies that respond to visitors’ requests to deliver your site. By choosing the latest Nginx version (1.18+) or LiteSpeed web server, you make sure that your site’s performance will be as fast as possible.
- MySQL or PostgreSQL – these are databases that are supported by Joomla. These are needed to access and manage all your stored files. Just like any other technology, databases should also be kept up to date. Joomla suggests using 5.6 + MySQL version or 11.0 + for PostgreSQL.
Website size and needed resources
Apart from considering software specifications, you need to estimate your website’s size too. This heavily dictates how much of the resources like storage and bandwidth you’ll need.
To run a small Joomla portfolio/blog, having 1GB storage and 5GB bandwidth could be enough.
More traditional-style websites, business landing pages, that have a bunch of images and blog posts will require at least 5-10GB storage along with 10GB bandwidth. However, if you’re talking about a larger business site or an online store, these resources should be increased at least a few times.
Any extra features
Apart from barebone specifications, there are many additional features that could greatly help you out in running a Joomla site. May it be some additional business tools or simply more security features, take your time to see what’s out there.
Some commonly offered tools that can enhance your site running experience:
- Staging tool,
- Built-in caching,
- Automated daily backups,
- Business management tools,
- Managed Joomla support.
Now that you know what to look for in Joomla hosting, you should be able to do your own research and find a hosting provider that perfectly fits your needs and requirements.
Best Joomla hosting FAQs
Does Joomla offer hosting?
Yes, you can get free Joomla hosting over at Joomla.com powered by SiteGround. You’ll get fairly limited storage and a free site name that’ll work as a subdomain to “Joomla.com”. It will look something like this – mysite.joomla.com.
Where can I host my Joomla website?
Most hosting providers suppose Joomla. However, the best provider depends on your personal needs. If you’re looking for a budget solution, either Hostinger or HostGator will do the trick. If a more powerful hosting is what you’re after, ScalaHosting’s fully managed VPS plans will be great for that.
Does GoDaddy host Joomla?
Yes, GoDaddy does host Joomla websites. You can use any of its shared hosting plans for the job. Prices start at just $2.99/mo.