How to fix Genshin Impact lag using a VPN
Lag during Genshin Impact is no joke. A stuttering connection could ruin your entire game and leave you shouting ‘how do I make Genshin Impact less laggy?!’.
Well, the reasons for lag include overcrowded servers, heavy-handed ISPs limiting your bandwidth (throttling), and even your location. Thankfully, we have a magic solution that fixes all those problems – a VPN.
Jump onto a VPN server, and you can escape congestion, change your IP address to a location closer to the game, and hide your activity from your ISP all at once! So lag will quickly stop being a problem. Keep reading to find out how to fix Genshin Impact lag with a VPN.
How to fix Genshin Impact lag with VPN – quick steps:
- Get a gaming-optimized VPN. We suggest NordVPN, now 69% OFF.
- Set the VPN up on your device.
- Choose a VPN server near the game server.
- Hit connect and enjoy no-lag Genshin Impact.
How can a VPN help you fix Genshin Impact lag
Genshin Impact’s popularity means there are thousands of gamers online at once.
However, a gaming-optimized VPN fixes that by offering you new servers to join, servers that not only will be uncongested but can also be closer to the original game server. Since your proximity to the game is also a lag factor, this is a 1-2 combo to fix a laggy connection.
When you join a VPN server, you’re given a new IP address while simultaneously masking your true IP. This handily conceals your activity from the ISP, and since ISPs slow down on heavy gamers’ internet connections, this is another big win in the battle against lag!
That hidden IP address will also prevent anyone from launching a DDoS attack against you, so it’s another excellent benefit of using a VPN.
Why is Genshin Impact so laggy?
Genshin Impact gets laggy because of the server, hardware, and internet connection, and the following reasons:
- CPU drivers. System lag and graphics lag can be because of your computer’s drivers. If your graphics card and network drivers haven’t been changed, they may struggle to cope with Genshin Impact.
- Hardware specs. Similarly, you'll experience lag if your device's specifications aren’t in line with Genshin Impacts requirements.
- Internet connection. Genshin Impact will lag while you’re playing without a stable, fast Internet connection.
- Previous game version. Only the latest version of Genshin Impact will perform best. If you're frequently dealing with laggy gameplay, it may be if you haven’t downloaded an update file.
- ISP slowdown. Gamers often encounter problems with their ISP, as the internet provider may throttle your connection if you use a lot of bandwidth. This is one of the major causes of lag.
On the bright side, this cheatsheet of troubleshooting tips can take the lag out of your game in an instant:
- See if your FPS levels are too low
- Check your internet provider's bandwidth policy
- Hop on to a new server
- Adjust your network settings
- Optimize your router
- Reboot/update Genshin Impact
- Close down any apps/processes you're not using
For a quicker fix, we suggest using a VPN to cover all bases. The best Genshin Impact VPNs can counteract a host of lag causes, giving you smoother gameplay within seconds of activation.
How to fix Genshin Impact lag?
VPNs are no doubt the best way to fix Genshin Impact lag. But you should note that only a handful of premium VPNs have the quality to address lag issues.
Server variety is a key required feature, as is speed, and privacy. There are dozens of VPNs on the market, but only a few of them back-up marketing promises with genuine quality. The next section will show which VPNs are perfect for fixing laggy Genshin Impact.
Best VPNs to fix Genshin Impact lag
- NordVPN – the best VPN for fixing Genshin Impact lag
- Surfshark – extremely-fast VPN for Genshin Impact
- Atlas VPN – great-value VPN for gaming
Finding a VPN may seem daunting, but we’ve made it easier by selecting an A-list of providers that will provide the tools you need. Here they are:
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Genshin Impact
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Curent deal:||Holiday Deal! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
If you need a VPN to fix laggy Genshin Impact, NordVPN does the best job.
Its secure 5,900-strong fleet of servers spans 60 countries, so you’ll never struggle to locate a new server to escape congestion. You can also count on this provider to shield you from prying eyes – including your ISP, so throttling or DDoS attacks won’t be an issue.
NordVPN will exceed speed expectations, which you can attribute to NordLynx, its in-house protocol. This will further strengthen your connection to fend off lag.
NordVPN’s security completes the package. Full AES-256 encryption, leak protection, no-logs policy, independent audits, and a kill switch ensure your anonymity and safety are never compromised.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out before signing up for a longer term. Beyond that, subscriptions cost $2.99 per month, but you should check our NordVPN discount coupons for an exclusive deal!
Read the in-depth NordVPN 2023 review for more details.
2. Surfshark – super-fast VPN for gaming online
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔥Curent deal:||Holiday deal! Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 4 months FREE|
Surfshark has everything you need to fix Genshin Impact lag. Choose from over 3,200 servers when you want to avoid a congested game server and find a local connection to lower your ping.
Surfshark also provides faster speeds than most VPNs, making it a go-to solution for HD gaming. It protects you from DDoS attacks and hack attempts with AES-256 encryption, two-factor authentication, and DNS leak protection.
This VPN even allows unlimited simultaneous connections, so everyone in your household can use it at the same time.
Test Surfshark out for a month with the 30-day money-back guarantee, and then sign up for $1.99 a month if you want to continue. You can even use an exclusive money-off code for Surfshark to sweeten the deal.
Scroll through the full Surshark VPN review for further reading.
3. Atlas VPN – top value VPN for Genshin Impact
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||1,000+ servers in 42 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||Atlas VPN coupon 86% OFF|
Another VPN to reliably fix Genshin Impact lag is the budget-friendly Atlas VPN. Atlas VPN’s server network may seem small, but its quality is never in question. Around 1,000 in 42 countries give you ample options to get away from an overcrowded Genshim Impact server.
Speeds are consistently good too, so you won’t have to worry about lag on that front. Use the WireGuard protocol to achieve the best performance.
Security is covered by a kill switch and AES-256 encryption. ISPs and hackers won’t be able to snoop on you at all.
Atlas VPN is very affordable at just $1.64 /month for a subscription. Try it out for free indefinitely with the freemium version.
Our Atlas VPN review divulges more information.
Why is Genshin Impact so laggy on different devices?
Genshin Impact lag can affect all your gaming devices. So unfortunately, Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, PlayStation, and Xbox players can all suffer laggy play.
Next, we’ll outline some of the causes – and what you can do about them.
Why is Genshin Impact laggy on my Windows, Mac, or laptop PC?
Desktop and laptop gamers are no strangers to lag, especially on Genshin Impact. But don’t despair – get clued up on the causes of lag – and the fixes – right here:
- Are your PC specs in line with Genshin Impact’s hame requirements? Upgrade your computer’s hardware
- Could your ISP be throttling your connection speeds? Hide your IP address traffic with a VPN
- Is your ping too high? Join a VPN server near your game location
- Are you on a congested server? Switch to a less busy VPN server
Why is Genshin Impact laggy on my Xbox or PS4 games console?
Console gamers love Genshin Impact, but lag can affect PlayStation and Xbox too.
Note down the causes and solutions so it’s no longer a problem for you:
- Is your internet connection playing up? Restart your router network
- Are you playing an outdated version of Genshin Impact? Check for game updates
- Has your ISP limited your service? Conceal your activity with a VPN
VPNs don't run directly on consoles, but you can set one up on your router. Then every device on the network, including your console, will get the VPN benefits.
Why is Genshin Impact laggy on my Android or iOS smartphone or tablet?
Genshin Impact is the kind of game that’s great fun to play on a smartphone or tablet, but mobile devices get laggy too. Here’s why lag occurs and what measures you can take to stop it on Apple and Android:
- Is your Genshin Impact app an older version? Look for an update in your app store
- Are you using an unstable mobile data connection? Switch to Wi-Fi if possible
- Do you have loads of apps open in the background? Kill any apps you’re not using.
You’ll spot the trend for many of these issues – server problems and sketchy ISP connections are often the cause of lag. The key to bypassing all of these is a powerful VPN. Simply pick a top provider, such as NordVPN, which supports multiple devices simultaneously, and protect your gaming experience across various platforms, such as PC, console, or mobile, by connecting all your devices to the VPN network.
Can I use a free VPN to fix Genshin Impact lag?
Don’t waste your time with free VPNs – the service is poor, the servers are weak, and the speeds are slow. You’ll struggle to fix lag on Genshin Impact with a free VPN. In fact, free VPNs could cause more lag than you had before!
If budget is a concern and you’re keen to save money, why not try a reputable VPN with a free trial instead? For instance, NordVPN and Surfshark are two of the best VPNs you can use, and both give you trial windows. Take a look at what you can get:
- NordVPN is our top choice for Genshin Impact, and if you play on Android, you can get a 7-day free trial. Don’t worry if you use another device – you still get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark players on Android, macOS, and iOS benefit from a 7-day trial, while all other devices can turn to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Using a VPN and still lagging on Genshin Impact?
Even VPN users can get a laggy game on Genshin Impact. If that happens to you, we recommend trying these tips:
- Switch over to a different VPN server. VPN servers can sometimes become congested too, which will cause lag. Luckily, premium providers offer thousands of connections – so you can switch to a new option in seconds.
- Get closer to your game’s server location. If you’re a long way away from the Genshin Impact server, lag will blight your game. Jump to a server that’s nearer to the action.
- Check your VPN settings. A simple technical bug could be leading to lag. Reboot your VPN and make sure your preferred settings are all turned on.
- Download a stronger VPN. If you’re not using a trustworthy VPN, it will be unable to fix the lag. Improve the situation with a top-tier VPN.
System requirements for Genshin Impact
To play Genshin Impact, you need a device that’s capable of handling the game without issues. Below you can find the minimum and recommended system requirements for Genshin Impact:
|CPU||Intel Core i5 equivalent or higher||Intel Core i7 equivalent or higher|
|Video card||NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 and higher||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB and higher|
|Dedicated video RAM||2048 MB||6GB|
|Operating system||Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows 8.1, 10, or 11 64-bit||Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows 8.1, 10, or 11 64-bit|
|Free disk space||30GB||30GB|
How to make Genshin run smoother?
If you’re wondering how to make Genshin run smoother, we have some useful tips for all devices. So whether you’re on a computer, mobile device, or games console, these hacks should help make your Genshin Impact game less laggy:
- Switch your server with a VPN
- Close down any apps you're not using on your device
- Lower your ping by joining a server closer to the game
- Optimize your internet connection
- Hide your activity from your ISP with a VPN
Fixing lag on Genshin Impact – the final stage
Genshin Impact is one of the best online games you can play, with millions of fellow gamers currently signed up. But, unfortunately, its popularity means servers get crowded quickly, which leads to lag and slowdown.
Happily, a reliable VPN bypasses this issue by giving you new servers to connect to.
Services like NordVPN have thousands of servers to choose from, so you escape overcrowding and get digitally closer to your game server to fix the lag.
And since changing servers automatically switches your IP address, your ISP won’t have any reason to throttle you as it won’t be able to track your activity. VPN encryption gives you a shield of protection from cyber thieves and scammers, so on top of the lag benefits, you get strong security too.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Why is Genshin lagging suddenly?
Genhin Impact lag is caused by crowded servers, throttled internet connections, old hardware, and several other reasons. Luckily, a VPN can fix most of them. Join a VPN server to relieve congestion, hide activity from your ISP, and lower your ping. Then, you’ll see there’s no more lag.
Why is Genshin Impact so laggy on my phone?
If Genshin Impact is laggy on your phone, download a mobile-friendly VPN, like NordVPN, join a new server, and lag should be quickly reduced. Using a VPN is easy, just download the app, create an account, and connect to a new server – it only takes a few seconds.
How do I make Genshin Impact run smoother?
Genshin Impact runs smoother with a VPN. Connect to a VPN server to evade congestion, block ISPs from throttling you, and improve your ping by getting closer to the game server. Then you’ll enjoy a better gaming experience.
How do I fix lag on Genshin Impact?
Genshin Impact lag fix depends on the cause of the lag. First, check whether the game meets the system requirements. Then, ensure there’s enough storage for the game and close any unnecessary programs running in the background. If your ISP is throttling your speed or you’re on a congested server, get a VPN like NordVPN to bypass these issues.