How can I get American Netflix in Canada?
Netflix has different content libraries, depending on where you are in the world. And, while Netflix’s Canadian catalog has plenty of great shows and movies, the US version has 149 extra titles, including Parenthood, Parks and Recreation, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Unfortunately, Netflix has geo-blocks on its content to comply with licensing agreements. However, you can bypass its restrictions and watch American Netflix in Canada by using a secure VPN to connect to a server in the US.
In this guide, we’ll explain exactly how to do this on a number of devices. And we’ll provide recommendations of the best VPNs for American Netflix. So, keep reading to find out all you need to know.
How to watch American Netflix in Canada with a VPN
- Select a VPN with a range of secure US servers. We recommend NordVPN, now 67% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Head to the Netflix website or app and either log in or register for a subscription.
- Start scrolling through American Netflix!
Why do you need a VPN to get American Netflix in Canada?
Netflix’s US library has more content than any other version, boasting around 6000 movies and shows. But because Netflix must comply with copyright laws and licensing agreements, it can’t show all of its American content worldwide.
If you’re an American traveling in Canada, or you live in Canada, and you want to watch geo-blocked content, you’ll be blocked by the following error message: Lost your way? Sorry, we can’t find that page.
Luckily, there’s a simple workaround that will enable you to watch everything the American Netflix library offers: all you need to do is sign up for a reputable VPN and use it to connect to a server in the US.
You’ll then be issued with a fresh IP address from the US, which will spoof your location so that Netflix recognizes your traffic as coming from within America. All you then need to do is log into your Netflix account, and you’ll be able to access all the US Netflix content you want.
Best VPNs to watch American Netflix in Canada
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching American Netflix in Canada
- Surfshark – blazing-fast provider for lag-free streaming
- IPVanish – reputable provider with excellent security features
As we’ve mentioned, using a VPN to watch American Netflix in Canada is a very straightforward process. However, you need to make sure you choose the right VPN for the job. While almost all VPNs market themselves as being able to bypass Netflix’s region restrictions, the truth is that not all of them can.
How to watch US Netflix in Canada with a VPN on your device
By using a VPN, you can watch US Netflix in Canada on pretty much any smart device, including a Windows PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, or smart TV. However, it’s worth noting that the steps may differ slightly depending on which device you’re using.
To make things simpler, we’ve written some step-by-step instructions to help you unblock US Netflix from Canada on your device:
- Watch American Netflix in Canada on your PC or Mac
- Watch American Netflix in Canada on your Android
- Watch American Netflix in Canada on your iPhone or iPad
- Watch American Netflix in Canada on your smart TV
Watch US Netflix in Canada on your computer (Windows, Mac)
Whether you use a Windows PC or Mac computer, you can be watching all that US Netflix has to offer in a few simple steps:
- Switch your computer’s location to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your machine. Our favorite solution for this is NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- If you have an Apple ID or Google account, set up a new one and choose the US as your country.
- Head over to the Netflix website and either log in or sign up for a subscription.
- Have fun choosing which US Netflix show you want to watch first!
Watch US Netflix in Canada on Android
Accessing US Netflix on your phone means you can binge-watch well over 5,000 shows and movies on the go. Here’s how to do it:
- Change your device location and your Google Play Store location to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your Android. NordVPN has the best Android app we’ve tested.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- If you have a Google account, create a new one and select the US as your country.
- Open or download the Netflix app from the Google Play Store.
- Log in or sign up for a Netflix subscription.
- Start streaming your favorite US Netflix content!
Watch US Netflix in Canada on iOS or iPad
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad to stream content in Canada, the good news is that you can unblock a whole world of exciting content on Netflix US. Just follow these quick steps to get up and running:
- Switch your device location and your Apple App Store location to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your Apple device. NordVPN is one of the few solutions that work well on iOS.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- If you use an Apple ID, register for a new one and select the US as your country.
- Open or download the Netflix app from the Apple App Store.
- Sign in or register for a monthly subscription plan.
- Put your feet up and enjoy binge-watching some new content!
Watch US Netflix in Canada on your smart TV
One of the frustrating things about many popular smart TV brands, such as LG, Apple, and Samsung, is that they don’t support VPN apps. However, you can get around this issue by connecting your VPN to your Wi-Fi router. Here’s what you need to do:
- Download a VPN with a selection of secure US servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Launch your wifi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network.
- Open or download the Netflix app on your smart TV, and log in or register for an account.
- Grab the popcorn and enjoy streaming US Netflix on your biggest screen!
How to get American Netflix in Canada
The US version of Netflix has more content than any other Netflix library in the world. And if you’re traveling to Canada or you’re a Canadian citizen, you’ll need to use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in the US. This will allow you to bypass the platform’s region restrictions and watch US content from anywhere.
The good news is that once you’ve used a VPN to connect to a US server, you should be able to log in to your existing Netflix account as normal. You don’t have to register for a separate subscription.
If, however, you don’t already have a Netflix account, it’s sensible to sign up for a subscription before connecting to a US server because you’d need a US credit card to pay for it.
How to pay for American Netflix from Canada
The best way to pay for American Netflix from Canada is to sign up for a subscription before you unblock the US library. Not only does this mean you avoid having to use a US payment method, but you’ll also get it for a lower price.
While Netflix US has the largest content catalog, it’s also one of the most expensive versions. And, when you consider the conversion rate, it works out to be much better value for money to sign up for Netflix in Canada before unblocking the US library.
To illustrate this, we’ve put together a list of US Netflix prices and prices for the Canadian version:
|Price for American Netflix in US dollars
|Price for Canadian Netflix in US dollars
|Basic (with ads)
As you can see, the price for US Netflix is a lot more expensive than the Canadian version. And, given that this is a subscription service, you could end up saving a lot of money by signing up for the service from a Canadian IP address. For example, if you’re planning on subscribing to a Premium plan, it would save you $57.24 over the course of a year.
American Netflix not working in Canada with a VPN?
If you’re trying to access US Netflix content from Canada and you’re getting blocked by an error message, your VPN has likely been detected and blocked by Netflix.
However, before writing off your VPN, it’s worth considering these common issues:
- You’re may not have connected to a server in the correct location
- Your real IP address might be leaking as a result of your browser settings
- Your cookies could be giving away your true location
- Your device settings may need updating
To overcome these problems, try:
- Double-checking that you’re connected to a secure server in the correct location
- Switching on IP leak protection on your VPN
- Using a different server
- Connecting to a different browser
- Clearing your cookies and cache
- Ensuring your device has been updated
- Getting in touch with your VPN’s customer support team
Note: Netflix’s US library has a lot more content than its Canadian version. To bypass US Netflix’s region restrictions from outside the country, use NordVPN to connect to a server in the US. This will spoof your location, meaning that when you log into Netflix, you’ll see the US catalog of content.
If you’re still having problems, have a look through our detailed guide on how to use a VPN. And if this still doesn’t help you to resolve your issue, we’d suggest looking into upgrading to a more privacy-focused VPN.
American vs Canadian Netflix
American Netflix has more content than any other version of Netflix, boasting a total of 5,879 movies and shows, while Canada has 5,730. Therefore, you’ll have more options if you watch the US Netflix catalog.
However, although it has more content, it also costs more to subscribe to Netflix in America. At the time of writing, it costs $15.49 a month in the US, while a Canadian subscription will cost you $11.95 a month in US dollars.
What is on American Netflix that's not on Canadian?
When comparing American vs Canadian Netflix, you’ll find the US has a lot more TV shows. Here is a list of some of the most popular US Netflix shows that aren’t available in Canada:
- American Horror Story
- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
- Parks and Recreation
- Sons of Anarchy
Having said that, Canadian Netflix has almost exactly the same number of movies as the US version. Although, the content on US Netflix is more skewed towards Hollywood content, while the Canadian catalog has more international films.
Can I use my American Netflix account in Canada?
Yes, if you’re traveling from the US to Canada, you can log into your Netflix account as normal. However, the content selection will be slightly different, as the Canadian version of Netflix has a smaller catalog of shows and movies.
If you want to watch content that’s available on Netflix in the US but not in Canada, you can manage this easily by using a strong VPN to connect to a server in the US. This will allow you to bypass Netflix’s region restrictions and access the entire US Netflix content catalog from Canada.
Given that Netflix’s largest content library is based in the US, it’s no wonder that people in Canada are looking for ways to unblock the American version of the streaming service.
And there’s a very simple way to achieve this: all you need to do is download a security-focused VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in the US. This will then unblock the US version of the site so that when you log into Netflix, you’ll see everything the US library has to offer.
Besides this, a VPN is an essential security tool because it encrypts your data, which will protect your data from being hacked by cybercriminals and other third parties. And, once you’ve exhausted the American version of Netflix, you can use it to unblock other US channels, such as HBO Max, Hulu, and ESPN.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I get American Netflix in Canada?
Yes, you can unblock the US version of Netflix in Canada by using a secure VPN, such as NordVPN. All you need to do is use a VPN to connect to a server in the US and then log into your Netflix account. You’ll then be able to view US Netflix.
What is on Netflix USA but not Canada?
Some great TV shows on Netflix US aren’t available in Canada. These include American Horror Story, Parenthood, Parks and Recreation, Dexter, Frasier, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Why does Canadian Netflix have less content?
The US version of Netflix has the largest Netflix catalog in the world. There are fewer titles available in Canada because Netflix has to adhere to copyright laws, licensing agreements, and distribution rights in each location in which it operates.
How do I get American Netflix on my smart TV in Canada?
It's easy to watch US Netflix on your smart TV from Canada by signing up for a strong VPN, such as NordVPN. Once you’ve done that, connect to a US server and connect the VPN to your wifi router. For more information, see our step-by-step instructions.
Is it possible to switch from Canadian Netflix to American Netflix?
Yes, you can switch between Canadian Netflix and American Netflix whenever you want by using a capable VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server in the country you want to access. This will spoof your location and allow you to unblock the content library you want to access.
How can I watch US Netflix for free in Canada?
No matter which version of Netflix you want to watch, you must pay for a Netflix subscription. And if you want to access the US version from Canada, you’ll need to sign up for a VPN. And if you want to use one for free, we’d recommend one with a 30-day money-back guarantee, like NordVPN.