Best Spotify VPNs in 2024
Spotify is a streaming service that offers music for everyone, which sounds like – if you’ll forgive our pun – music to our ears.
However, the truth is that as popular as Spotify is, many people can’t access it. Plus, even for those of us who can access Spotify, plenty of songs are restricted or unavailable.
Luckily, there’s an easy fix for those of you wondering how to unblock songs on Spotify – using a VPN. With a VPN, you’ll be free from Spotify’s geo-restrictions, as it helps to make it seem as if you’re based in a location where the streaming platform’s geo-blocking doesn’t apply.
In this article, we’ll share the best Spotify VPNs in 2024 and guide you through how to unblock Spotify with a VPN.
Best Spotify VPNs in 2024
- NordVPN – best VPN for Spotify in 2024 overall
- Surfshark – affordable and fast Spotify VPN
- Atlas VPN – premium Spotify VPN option for listening to music
- ExpressVPN – fast Spotify VPN for unblocking albums
- CyberGhost– great VPN for Spotify with an impressive server fleet
Why do you need a VPN for Spotify?
Spotify is unavailable in over a dozen countries, including China, Ethiopia, Sudan, and others. Additionally, it has become common for schools and workplaces to block Spotify so students and employees wouldn’t use it there. A VPN helps enjoy Spotify without restrictions.
Even if you do have access to the platform, you might find that some songs or albums are blocked on Spotify. This is also commonly referred to as greyed out. The reason the songs aren’t available in your area is because of licensing and copyright agreements.
You can use a Spotify VPN to bypass these restrictions and get access to every album and song (or podcast) that you want. It makes it seem as if you’re from a location where Spotify’s geo-blocking doesn’t apply.
So, all you need is a VPN with loads of servers and strong encryption. Our recommendation is the security and streaming-focused NordVPN. However, if you want your whole family to be able to unblock Spotify, Surfshark is the way to go, as it offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
While you should keep a VPN on at all times, you should also know that not all of them are the same. So, when you’re selecting a VPN for Spotify, take note of such criteria:
- Supported devices – check if the VPN supports mobile devices since most of us access Spotify through our smartphones.
- Speed – you want a fast VPN for a smooth butter jam session free of buffering and interruptions.
- Security features – while you’re getting a VPN for accessing Spotify, you want to ensure your privacy, security, and confidentiality.
How to get Spotify unblocked with a VPN
Best VPNs for Spotify – detailed list:
A VPN can make or break your Spotify streaming experience. This is exactly why it’s crucial to pick a high-quality VPN provider.
Generally, what you want to see is excellent speed, strong security and privacy measures, and extensive networks of servers. To make things even easier for you, we’ve selected the 5 best VPNs for Spotify.
1. NordVPN – best Spotify VPN overall
|6100+ servers in 61 countries
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|NordVPN Coupon 67% OFF
NordVPN is the best Spotify VPN for various reasons. First off, with over 6100 servers in 61 countries, the provider makes it effortless to bypass practically any geo-restrictions.
Additionally, thanks to NordVPN’s proprietary protocol NordLynx, the speeds of this service let you enjoy a buffering-free experience.
When it comes to security, your data will be protected with advanced AES-256 encryption and a reliable kill switch. The latter secures your data from leaking even if your VPN connection drops.
You can also enjoy NordVPN on 6 of your devices, whether it’s Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, or iOS.
The prices of NordVPN start from $3.39/month. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out all of the benefits, visit our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – affordable VPN for Spotify with unlimited simultaneous connections
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more
|Get 79% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE
Surfshark is a wallet-friendly VPN with unlimited connections for Spotify that has over 3200 servers in 100 countries. That’s quite a range of options for when you need to bypass geo-blocking and a greyed-out policy.
The WireGuard protocol will provide you with such great speeds that it won’t even feel like you’re using a VPN.
In terms of security, you’re getting yourself unbreakable AES-256 encryption and a kill switch for data protection.
The best part is that you can use Surfshark on as many devices as you want. Not to mention that it also has apps for all – Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
With prices starting from $2.29/month, you can get Surfshark with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out all of the benefits, visit our Surfshark review.
3. Atlas VPN – freemium VPN for Spotify
|1000+ servers in 42 countries
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube
|Get Atlas VPN, now 86% OFF + 6 months FREE!
Atlas VPN is another VPN that is able to access Spotify and all that it has to offer. You’re getting yourself 1000+ servers in 42 countries, so you’re covered globally.
In terms of performance, Atlas VPN uses the WireGuard protocol. The speeds are solid enough for you to have a smooth experience listening to music without any buffers.
The AES-256 encryption and a reliable kill switch guarantees the security of your files and no data-leaking accidents.
Atlas VPN is available on Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. With prices starting from $1.64/month, you get to connect unlimited devices simultaneously.
And, as usual, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out all of the benefits, visit our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – fast and efficient Spotify VPN
|Thousands of servers in 105 countries
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE!
ExpressVPN combines great speed and advanced security features to unblock Spotify. The provider boasts thousands of servers in 94 countries guaranteeing quick access to the platform.
The VPN is powered with an in-house-built Lightway tunneling protocol. It is designed to achieve excellent speed without compromising security or draining your device's battery.
Speaking of security, ExpressVPN does not disappoint. The provider delivers advanced AES-256 and ChaCha20 encryption cipher, a solid kill switch, as well as RAM-only servers. These features are guaranteed to keep your connection and personal data secure in any situation.
With ExpressVPN, you can unblock Spotify on any device. It is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux, as well as Android and iOS systems.
The pricing plans start at $6.67/month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out all of the benefits, visit our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – efficient Spotify VPN with an extensive server fleet
|11500 in 100 countries
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+
|Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% + 2 months FREE!
With over 9000+ servers in 91 countries at hand, CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for Spotify. It's a fast, privacy-friendly, and easy-to-use VPN when you need to bypass restrictions.
CyberGhost comes with an advanced WireGuard protocol. Known as the industry's fastest and most reliable protocol, it will protect your privacy while maintaining top-notch performance.
On top of that, CyberGhost ensures high-level encryption — AES-256. Paired with a reliable kill switch and NoSpy servers, which are fully managed by CyberGhost, the provider ensures well-rounded security. So you don’t have to worry about data leaks. The provider is based in Romania, which doesn't support data retention laws. As a result, CyberGhost implemented a strict no-logs policy.
With great compatibility, CyberGhost is a completely cross-platform VPN. Get it for $2.19/month to access Spotify on any device, whether it runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, or iOS.
To find out all of the benefits, visit our CyberGhost review.
Why might Spotify be blocked?
There are many reasons why Spotify might be blocked for you. Here’s a look at some of the main ones:
- Geo-restrictions. Since Spotify isn’t available in every country, your area might be subjected to geo-blocking to restrict your access. Spotify’s system determines your location based on your IP address. If you’re from a country where the platform isn’t available, you’ll be denied access to it. This is exactly why you need tochange your location with a VPN.
- Intentional blocking. Sometimes organizations might have purposely blocked Spotify for a variety of reasons. For instance, schools tend to block Spotify because they’re under the impression that it’s distracting for students or violates their administrative policies. Meanwhile, offices might restrict access to Spotify because it’s against their policies to use the platform on their computer. These places might even block VPNs! In that case, you’d need to knowhow to bypass VPN blocks.
- Firewalls and antivirus software. It’s common to find Spotify blocked by a firewall as well. A firewall – which protects against malicious malware and the like – sometimes wrongly categorizes Spotify as a threat to your computer or device and blocks the platform. The same goes for installed antivirus software, which it may wrongly identify Spotify as a virus or malicious intrusion.
- Licensing, copyright, and distribution rights. Spotify might have a different content library based on your location. Thus, some tracks might be greyed out and unavailable to you. More often than not, this is due to copyright and licensing agreements with music labels and other invested parties.
How to change region on Spotify
Whether you’re looking to bypass Spotify’s geo-restrictions or traveling abroad for an extended period while on Spotify’s free plan, you’ll need a VPN to change your region on Spotify.
To install a VPN, you’ll need to:
- Choose a VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, 67% OFF!
- Download the VPN to your computer or device
- Change the VPN’s server location to one that’s Spotify-friendly
How to change region on Spotify Premium
- Go to the “Account” section on your Spotify settings
- Scroll down to “Your Plan,” and click “Update”
- Scroll down to “Change country” and click on your choice
- Change your payment method to one that supports the country you chose
How to change region on Spotify with a free account
- Make sure you’re connected to a VPN server in a country of your choice. For that - choose NordVPN
- Visit Spotify’s page and sign up. Use an email address: not your Apple or Google logins
- Go to open.spotify.com and log in using your credentials
- That’s it! Now you can access a different country’s Spotify library
How to play Spotify songs in other countries
Sometimes, you might come across a song that’s greyed out on Spotify. What this means is that the track simply isn’t available in your country. This could be because of an expired licensing agreement or Spotify’s geo-restriction.
There’s a quick and easy fix for the latter: a VPN. With a Spotify VPN, your Internet connection is redirected to a server in another region. You’re then issued a new IP address from the said server.
This helps to trick Spotify into thinking that you’re based in another country. Hence, it allows you access to the previously greyed-out songs.
Not quite sure how to use a VPN? Well, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to go about it:
- Choose a reputable VPN provider such as NordVPN. Download the VPN to your computer or device
- Change the VPN’s server location to one that’s Spotify-approved
- Create a new Spotify account using your email address
- Open your Spotify app and get ready for rock and roll
How to unblock Spotify at school or work
Alas, Spotify blocked at work and school is a common problem for many. Many institutions tend to do so to minimize distractions or on policy grounds. No doubt, this restriction is annoying when you need your jam to focus.
Fret not, there are still some ways for you to access Spotify. The best solution is to use a VPN to unblock Spotify. Here’s all you need to do:
- Download and sign up for a VPN. Our top suggestion is NordVPN – now 67% OFF!
- Connect to a server location where Spotify isn’t blocked
- Open Spotify and groove along to your playlist
Whether you’re trying to figure out how to listen to Spotify on mobile, iPad, or other devices, the steps are the same. Besides that, you can use Spotify Web Player, too. This is the basic version of the platform, where you don’t have administrator access but will still get the same experience. Plus, you don’t have to download the Spotify file on your computer.
However, it’s possible that your school or office has anticipated this and blocked Spotify Web Player as well. In that case, you’ll still need to utilize a good VPN to access Spotify.
Spotify not working with a VPN: how to fix it
It might sometimes happen that you run into issues when trying to access Spotify with VPN services. There are many reasons that it could’ve happened. Here are a few fixes that can help:
- Make sure you’re connected to a server in a location where Spotify is available
- Try using a different web browser
- Clear your browser cache and cookies
- Contact your VPN’s customer support
If nothing helps, you might have a VPN that is incapable of accessing geo-restricted content. Make sure you get a high-quality, premium Spotify VPN, such as NordVPN.
Can I unblock Spotify with a free VPN?
There are plenty of providers that offer a free VPN for Spotify, but we don’t recommend using it. There are a few reasons why using free services can turn out to be a bad idea.
First off, free VPNs can sell your data which defeats the purpose of having a VPN in the first place. Second, since they’re free, such VPNs usually have a limited number of servers to choose from. Also, they’re most likely going to be overcrowded. This can result in major speed reductions.
If you’re on a budget and are looking for unlimited free services that are reliable, we’d recommend looking into freemium VPN options. Such services as Atlas VPN have completely free versions that you can use to bypass restrictions. Just keep in mind that there are certain limitations, such as data caps and a limited number of servers.
However, the best option is to use a reputable premium VPN service. Even the best ones cost only a couple bucks per month, plus they come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. This means you can test it out before committing long-term.
Here’s how much the best Spotify VPNs cost and their perks:
- NordVPN – excellent performance, over 6100 servers in 61 countries, and advanced security features – unblock Spotify for $3.39/month with a month-long money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – with over 3200 servers in 100 countries, you’ll be able to access Spotify from virtually any corner of the world for only $2.29/month. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – great Spotify premium VPN with solid speeds for $3.25/month. Try it out for free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to bypass Spotify VPN detection?
Spotify's rapid rise in popularity has led to geo-restrictions and licensing agreements that vary from region to region. As a result, users often turn to VPNs to access the full range of content available on the platform. However, Spotify has implemented measures to detect and deter VPN usage, albeit with varying degrees of strictness.
Spotify employs anti-VPN technology to identify and block users accessing the service through VPNs. This technology analyzes user behavior, IP addresses, and other factors to determine whether a VPN is being used. When detected, Spotify may limit access to certain features or even display error messages.
While Spotify's terms of service do not explicitly forbid VPN usage, they do emphasize the importance of sticking to local laws and regulations. This ambiguity has led to a mixed approach from Spotify – the company's focus seems to be more on enforcing content licensing agreements rather than cracking down on individual VPN users. Consequently, VPN users might still be able to access Spotify.
To bypass Spotify's VPN detection, we recommend taking the following steps:
- Switch servers. Try different VPN servers located in regions with a history of successful Spotify access.
- Choose a reliable VPN. Opt for VPN providers known for their ability to evade detection.
- Use obfuscation features. Some VPNs offer obfuscation technology that makes VPN traffic appear more like regular internet traffic, reducing the chances of detection.
- Stay updated. Keep an eye on online communities and forums for updates on the latest VPNs that work with Spotify.
Spotify is a faithful companion, providing us with a stream of songs and content as we navigate through life. However, it’s a shame that many aren’t able to access the platform due to various restrictions, including geo-blocking and administrative policies.
Luckily, you can easily get around these restrictions with the help of a trusted VPN, such as NordVPN. Not only does it have thousands of servers to choose from, it also has features for streaming, offers phenomenal speeds, and 6 simultaneous connections.
With a Spotify VPN, your Internet connection is rerouted and connected to a server in a Spotify-friendly region – allowing you access to the beloved platform and tracks.
Additionally, the added security that comes with the installation of a VPN makes it much more attractive when you’re streaming your favorite tracks on Spotify.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I unblock Spotify for free?
Yes, you can unblock Spotify for free by using NordVPN's trial version or money-back guarantee. These options provide temporary access to geo-blocked content. However, a paid NordVPN subscription offers more reliable and consistent access to blocked platforms like Spotify.
Why does Spotify block some songs?
Spotify blocks some songs due to expired licensing agreements between the company and music labels. Another reason can be that Spotify has imposed restrictions for copyright and distribution purposes. However, you can easily get Spotify unblocked with a VPN, such as NordVPN.
Is Spotify blocked in China?
Yes, Spotify is blocked in China by the country’s censorship — also known as the Great Firewall of China. Plus, the platform is also restricted by its own geo-blocks. To get around these double restrictions and access Spotify, you’ll need a trusted VPN, such as .
Why do schools block Spotify?
Some schools block Spotify because they see it as a distraction to students. Besides that, certain schools also have firewalls on their system, which might mistakenly categorize Spotify as malicious malware and block the platform. In any case, to get around these restrictions, you’ll need to install a VPN.
Why isn’t my Spotify working?
There are many possible reasons why your Spotify isn’t working. This could be either a network issue or the streaming platform might be geo-restricted in your country. Without further details, there is no telling for sure.
Does Spotify block VPNs?
Yes, Spotify blocks VPNs to enforce regional restrictions on content due to licensing agreements. While some VPNs, like NordVPN, work around these blocks, it's possible that access might still be limited. Opting for a reputable VPN with dedicated servers for streaming can increase the chances of bypassing these restrictions.