How to watch the Australian Open from anywhere in 2023
The Australian Open is the first Grand Slam of the year. The event kicks off on Monday, 16 January, and will run until Sunday, 29 January. The best part? You'll be able to stream it completely free on 9Now.
|Dates:||January 16-29, 2023|
|Location:||Melbourne Park, Melbourne|
|Watch anywhere:||Get NordVPN – 68% OFF|
|Watch in Australia:||Channel 9 (free), Stan Sport|
|Watch in the US:||ESPN+|
Unfortunately, Australian Open is only available to watch in select countries outside Australia, so you might not be able to find it on a TV channel or streaming service in your area.
You shouldn’t worry, though, because there’s an easy solution to this problem. All you need to do is use a VPN to connect to a server in Australia, head to Channel 9 or Stan Sport, and enjoy watching the matches.
A VPN works by changing your IP address to make your location appear different, which will allow you to bypass region restrictions on content, such as the Australian Open. And better still, it also encrypts your data, keeping it safe from hackers.
In this guide, I’ll explain how to use a VPN to watch the Australian Open live online from anywhere in the world. So read on to find out everything you need to know.
Stream Australian Open tennis online with a VPN
- Choose a VPN with Australian servers. We recommend NordVPN – now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to an Australian server.
- Sign in or set up an account for 9Now or Stan Sport.
- Grab a drink and enjoy watching your favorite tennis stars!
Why do you need a VPN to watch the Australian Open online?
Tennis fans all over the world will be dying to watch this year’s Australian Open tournament. Unfortunately, it’s only available to stream in a few countries, such as the UK, the US, Canada, and, of course, Australia. That has to do with copyright laws, licensing agreements, and distribution rights.
Suppose you attempt to access any of the matches from outside the previously-mentioned locations. In that case, you’ll be prevented from watching by an error code stating that this content isn’t available in your region.
Don’t lose hope, though, because there’s an easy way around this problem. All you have to do is sign up for a reliable VPN and use it to connect to a server in Australia. You’ll then be issued with an Australian IP address, which will make it appear as though you’re accessing the Australian Open tournament from within that country. This means that you’ll be able to watch all the games on 9Now.
But with so many VPNs to choose from, it’s a daunting task to find the right one for watching the Australian Open live online. Luckily, after testing various providers, I came up with one option that works best.
Best VPN to watch Australian Open tennis online
The market is flooded with VPNs that claim to unblock content from all over the world. But the truth is, not all of them can bypass region restrictions. And, even more worryingly, some VPNs may even jeopardize your online privacy.
Luckily, I’ve taken the legwork out of choosing a VPN that works best for watching the Australian Open online. So let’s dive in and find out what this provider is all about.
NordVPN: Best VPN for Australian TV
|🖥Servers:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
If you’re a tennis fan who wants to watch every Australian Open match, you won’t find a better solution than NordVPN. It can bypass the region restrictions on Channel 9 and Stan Sport in Australia, as well as EuroSport in the UK, and ESPN+ in the US.
NordVPN offers the best security we’ve experienced from a VPN. And it has 5,800 servers in 60 countries, including more than 190 in Australia. It even offers great speeds for reputable streaming.
Plans start at $3.19/month. Right now, you can use one of our NordVPN coupons to get 68% off, making this the best deal around!
To find out more about this provider, check out our detailed NordVPN review.
Top streaming services to watch Australian Open tennis online
The Australian Open is being shown on a variety of channels, however, if you want to cut the cord, your best option is 9Now – a completely free streaming service. However, since it's only available in Australia, you'll need to use a VPN.
Other streaming services where you can watch Australian Open include:
|Streaming service||Where available||Cost per month|
How to watch Australian Open tennis on your device
You can watch the Australian Open online on whatever device you like, including Apple devices, Android smartphones, Windows PCs, or even smart TVs. All you need is a VPN to change your location so you can bypass the region restrictions. We’ll explain how to do this on the most popular devices in our short guides.
If you’re looking for more information on using VPNs on different devices, you can also check these in-depth guides that will answer all of your questions:
- VPNs for Windows – top-notch VPNs for Windows to watch Australian Open
- VPNs for Mac – the most secure and dependable VPNs for Mac
- VPNs for Android – watch Australian Open with the best VPNs for Android
- VPNs for iPhone – check out top-tier VPNs for iPhone
- VPNs for smart TVs – access Australian Open tennis on a smart TV
Watch Australian Open tennis on a PC
Regardless of whether you have a Windows 10 or a Mac, you’ll be able to access the Australian Open on your machine in a few simple steps. You won’t even need to download a streaming app! Just follow these instructions and you’ll be watching the tennis in no time at all:
- Download and install VPN software on your computer. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in Australia.
- Go to the Channel 9 website and either sign in or create an account.
- If it doesn’t work straight away, try clearing your cookies and cache and start again.
- Enjoy watching all the tennis you want!
Watch Australian Open tennis on your phone
By following these easy steps, you can watch the Australian Open on your iPhone, Android smartphone, or even your iPad. Here’s what you need to do:
- Change your phone and app store locations to Australia.
- Download and install a VPN app on your device. Our favorite app is NordVPN.
- Create a new Apple ID or Google account and select Australia as your country.
- Open or install the Stan Sport app on your phone from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Create an account and enjoy cheering on your favorite tennis players!
Watch Australian Open tennis on a smart TV
Although some smart TVs support VPN apps, many popular brands, including Apple, Samsung, and LG, won’t work with them. The good news is, you can get around this by connecting your VPN straight to your Wi-Fi router. Here’s how to do it:
- Download a VPN with a range of Australian servers. We’d recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to an Australian server.
- Access your Wi-Fi router’s admin and connect it up to your VPN network.
- Download the Stan Sport app on your smart TV, and either sign up or create an account.
- Grab your snacks and watch the first Grand Slam of 2023!
Although this is a simple solution, it’s worth checking if your smart TV supports VPNs. If so, you might be able to download a VPN app straight onto your smart TV. Check out our guide on the best VPNs for smart TVs for more information.
How to stream Australian Open tennis on streaming devices
Most streaming sticks, such as Kodi, Roku, Firestick, and Apple TV, don’t support VPN apps. Therefore, if you want to use a VPN to bypass region restrictions on your streaming stick to watch the Australian Open live, you’ll need to follow this step-by-step guide:
- Download and install a VPN with servers in Australia. We’d suggest NordVPN for this.
- Connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Choose an Australian server.
- Insert your streaming stick into your TV.
- Switch on your TV and select the Stan Sport app on your streaming stick’s home screen.
- Sit back, relax, and watch all the action!
Want to learn more about streaming Australian Open tennis on different streaming devices? Here are our extensive guides that will help you to do just that:
- VPNs for Kodi – pick from the best VPNs for Kodi and stream Australian Open
- VPNs for Roku – stream Australian Open on Roku with the help of leading VPNs
- VPNs for Firestick – highest-rated VPNs for Firestick
- VPNs for Apple TV – best VPNs for Apple TV to stream Australian Open
How to watch Australian Open tennis from anywhere
Whether you’re traveling abroad and want to catch up on the matches, or the tournament isn’t being shown where you are, you’ll need to use a VPN to watch the Australian Open online. If you need any further help, be sure to take a look at our guide on the best VPNs for traveling.
To watch the Australian Open from wherever you are, just follow this quick guide:
- Download and install a VPN with a fleet of Australian servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Sign up and create an account.
- Connect to a server in Australia.
- Head to the Channel 9 and either sign in or create an account.
- Settle in for some nail-biting competition!
How to watch the Australian Open for free online
If you want to watch the Australian Open online without paying a single cent, we have a few tips for you. Since most free VPNs can’t unblock region-restricted content, you should try using a freemium, which is a free version of a paid-for VPN.
However, if you’re only planning to use a VPN for the duration of the Australian Open, you could
simply sign up for a free trial of a paid-for VPN. Each of our favorite VPNs, including NordVPN, Surfshark, and IPVanish, offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can use any of them to watch the tennis without committing to a lengthy subscription.
We strongly advise you to steer clear of free VPN providers, as most of them make money by selling customer data to third parties. Besides this, they tend to have far fewer servers, along with sluggish and unreliable speeds.
Everything you need to know about Australian Open Tennis 2023
As the first Grand Slam of 2023, tennis fans all around the world can’t wait to watch the tournament. The competition lasts from Monday 16 until Sunday, 29 January 2023, with qualifiers being played the week before.
After defeating Russian player Daniil Medvedev Russian in 2022, Rafael Nadal became the defending men's champion. Other exciting news is that Ash Barty became the first Australian champion last year. This hasn't happened in 44 years. However, this year, she won't be returning to fight for the champion's name.
Now what about the prize money? With a 3.4% increase compared to 2022, this year's prize fund stands at a record-high $76.5 million.
If you want to watch the Australian Open from a country that doesn’t have the rights to show it, you’ll need to use a VPN to connect to a server in a country that does, such as Australia, the US, or the UK. Once that’s done, you can access the tournament on any streaming services broadcasting the matches. This includes Channel 9 or Stan Sport in Australia, ESPN+ in the US, or EuroSport in the UK.
But more than this, it’s important to use a VPN to protect your private online information from cybercriminals. It will also allow you to unblock geo-restricted content from anywhere in the world. And it’ll even protect you from having your speeds throttled by your ISP!
We hope this guide has provided you with all the information you need to watch the Australian Open from where you are. If not, let us know in the comments section at the bottom of the page, and one of our industry experts will reply!
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
- How to watch the French Open: watch the French Open from anywhere
- How to watch Wimbledon: watch Wimbledon online
- How to watch US Open Tennis: watch US Open Tennis online
- How to watch ESPN: watch ESPN without cable from anywhere
- How to watch TSN: watch TSN in USA
- How to watch Italian TV: watch Italian channels from the USA
How can I watch the Australian Open 2023 from anywhere?
To watch the Australian Open from anywhere in the world, all you need is a reputable VPN with a large selection of Australian servers. We recommend NordVPN for this. Once you’ve got your VPN up and running, all you need to do is connect to a server in Australia, and head to 9Now. You’ll then be able to watch every match of the tournament. Check out our step-by-step guide to watching the Australian Open further up the page for more tips.
Which VPNs have Australian servers?
There are loads of VPNs out there that have Australian servers. But out of the ones we’ve tested, we’d recommend NordVPN, which has over 190 servers in the country, or Surfshark, which has 91 Australian servers. To find out more, take a look at the VPN we found best to watch the Australian Open earlier in our guide.
Are you allowed to use a VPN in Australia?
VPNs are completely legal in Australia. However, it’s important to note that any illegal activity will still be breaking the law, whether you use a VPN or not. So it’s important to be careful while you’re online, regardless of whether or not you’re using a VPN.
Can I use a VPN to watch Australian TV?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Australian TV live from anywhere in the world. All you need is to use a VPN to connect to a server in Australia. You’ll then be able to watch any of the TV shows you want from that region.