Geo-restrictions in the gaming world are nothing new. A lot of new game releases reach the audiences in the US first, and only later in other regions. It seems unfair to PS4 or PS5 players outside of the US. Not only that, special offers and extras are also often region-specific.
Luckily, there is a way to bypass these geo-blocks. You can use a VPN to change your PS4 or PS5 region and get to the new games first. And if you won’t use a VPN for anything else, that’s okay. You can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee many VPNs offer, and still enjoy the new games sooner, personal deals, and exclusive gaming offers.
In this article, you’ll find a detailed guide on how to change the region on your PS4 or PS5 with a VPN, and our suggestions for VPNs that do this job best.
How to change PSN region on PlayStation with VPN:
Why do you need a VPN on PlayStation?
Once you have set up a PlayStation Network (PSN) account, it locks your region and you won’t be able to change it. Even if you move permanently to another country, you can’t freely change locations in the settings.
But, even if you haven’t moved to another country, there are lots of reasons why you might want to change your PSN country. Let’s find out what they are.
- Accessing region-restricted deals. Different countries might have geo-restricted promo deals. By changing your location with a VPN you can make full use of that.
- Fast, smooth gameplay. If you’re gaming online with players in other countries, by using a VPN to connect to servers near them, you can improve gaming performance.
- Play PlayStation Now, worldwide. A VPN can help you to access this cloud-gaming platform from anywhere. Simply make a new PSN account and connect to a VPN (like NordVPN) in a supported country.
- Access geo-blocked apps and content. Apps like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Go are only available in certain regions. Similarly, streaming services might have geo-specific content. A VPN will help you get around this by issuing you with an IP address from the country of your choice providing unrestricted access.
Best VPNs to change your PSN account region
Even though there are many providers claiming to offer the best VPN for PSN, not all of them can back it up. We ran the tests – these right there are the best PSN VPN options.
- NordVPN – best all-around VPN for PSN
- Surfshark – fast VPN for PSN with unlimited connections
- IPVanish – fast, streaming-ready VPN for PSN
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for PlayStation
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||NordVPN coupon 69% OFF|
NordVPN, hands down, is simply the best VPN for PlayStation. It doesn't have a designated router app, but you can find extensive guides on how to configure your router on NordVPNs support page. In addition, this service offers over 5,900 servers in 60 countries, so you’ll always find a good location to connect to.
In addition, NordVPN is one of the safest VPNs out there. It uses AES-256 encryption together with a bunch of secure tunneling protocols, like the super-fast NordLynx.
To learn more about NordVPN, go to our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – inexpensive VPN to change your region
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||Surfshark coupon 80% OFF|
Surfshark is truly a great VPN for any use case. First of all, it offers unlimited simultaneous connections – what more could you possibly ask for?
It can be set up on your router, which will help you bypass geo-location bans from almost any device you need. The VPN also has over 3,200 servers across 100 countries and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee that will let you try out the service risk-free.
If you want to know more, take a look at our Surfshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – one of the most secure tools
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||IPVanish coupon 81% OFF|
If you need to change your PSN region on PlayStation, then IPVanish is the perfect tool for you. However, it does so much more than that.
The service also supports torrenting, offers the SOCKS5 proxy, supports split tunneling, and has obfuscated servers. It also includes Unlimited simultaneous connections, which should be enough for all your devices.
Would you like to dig in deeper? Then, check out this IPVanish review.
How to set up a new PSN account for a different region?
If you want to convince PSN that you're from a different region, an IP address can go a long way as far as reassurance goes. This should make sure that your registration passes successfully. You will be able to experience it as if you really were from another region.
Here is a quick step-by-step guide on how to set up a new account on a PlayStation:
- Set up a VPN on your router and choose your preferred location. NordVPN is a good choice, now 69% OFF.
- Connect your PlayStation to your router.
- Switch on your PlayStation and click New User.
- After you have accepted the User Agreement, you will be prompted to create an account.
- Select the region you want to use.
- Put in your basic details, like your date of birth and language.
- Enter the location details you want to use. Here, you will need to enter a fake address in the region you have chosen. If you don’t know any, you can use an address generator to get a randomized address.
- Enter a valid email address and password that is not already attached to a PSN account.
- Create your profile. Create your online ID, choose your gaming avatar and complete any other basic set up details and click Accept on the Terms of Service and User Agreement page.
- Open the PlayStation Store and it should be showing content and prices from the new location.
This also means that your friends list and bought games will remain on a separate account. So, if you are only changing the account's location to take advantage of some better deal, keep this in mind if you're thinking about multiplayer. It also applies to PlayStation Now services that you might be subscribing to.
How to unblock geo-restricted content on PS4 with VPN
It might not be required for you to make a PSN account in a different country to unblock geo-restricted content. Many applications, such as Netflix, will identify you by your IP address instead. So, in order to watch geo-restricted content, you'll need to change it using a VPN.
To do that, simply install a VPN on your hotspot-capable device, such as a router. Your phone, which should have a hotspot function, can also work. Just make sure it is plugged into a power source and within close proximity to your console, and be wary of increased data charges.
If you're using a router, follow our guide on how to install a VPN on router. If using a phone, simply connect to VPN using the app and use the hotspot function to share data with your console.
This should give you a VPN-protected foreign VPN address, enough to access geo-restricted content on a PS4.
How to buy games on another country's PlayStation Store
Even if you change the country on your PSN account, you will still be unable to buy games directly from the PlayStation Store. This is because you need to have a PayPal or credit card that is registered in the country that you have selected.
If you don’t have a form of payment that is registered to the country of your new PlayStation user, you will need to purchase a gift card from your chosen region’s Amazon store. Here’s how to do it:
- Download a VPN. We recommend NordVPN (now 69% OFF) as it has a large server fleet and has many useful features.
- Connect to your chosen region’s server and visit the PlayStation Gift Cards website.
- Click Buy Now on the gift card that you want to buy.
- Choose Amazon as a digital code gift card.
- Click Add to Cart, and go to the checkout. You will be prompted to sign in or create a new Amazon account.
- Enter your payment information. You can use your regular payment method to purchase an Amazon gift card. Within minutes, you will be emailed a digital copy of your gift card and 12-digit code.
- Log in to your new PSN account and open the PlayStation store.
- Click Redeem Codes and enter the 12-digit code from your email. Once you have selected to continue, the funds of your gift card will be added to your account.
- Purchase the game or app that you want to buy.
How to Install a VPN on PS4 and PS5
Unfortunately, there are no VPN apps available on the PlayStation Store. However, you can install a VPN onto your router. Alternatively, you can install one on your PC and connect your PC to your PlayStation via an Ethernet cable to bypass region restriction. Many top-tier VPNs will work with this solution.
Once you have set up a VPN on your router, you will need to connect it to your PlayStation. These simple steps will help you connect your VPN protected router to your PS3, PS4 and PS5:
- Go to the Dynamic Menu on your PS4 or PS5.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Network Settings and click Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select Use Wi-Fi and, when asked which connection method you want, choose Easy.
- When prompted, choose Do Not Use a Proxy Server and then Accept all Settings.
- Click on Test Connection.
- Start playing.
Some VPN service providers also offer pre-configured routers. You can use them out of the box, which is an even faster method to connect your console with a VPN.
Via Ethernet Cable
You can connect your PlayStation to your laptop’s VPN via an Ethernet cable. Then you will need to follow these steps:
- Connect your PC or laptop to your PlayStation with an Ethernet Cable.
- Select the TAP/Nordlynx adapter to enable network sharing.
- Pick the Ethernet connection that you want to share.
- Open the Settings of your VPN app on your laptop, go into Advanced Settings and select Protocol.
- Change your default protocol to OpenVPN UDP/TCP, connect your VPN with the region you want, and go to the Dynamic Menu on your PS4 or PS5.
- Go to Settings, then Network Settings and click Set Up Internet Connection.
- Choose Use LAN Cable and, when asked which connection method you want, choose Easy.
- When prompted, choose Do Not Use a Proxy Server and then Accept all Settings.
- Click on Test Connection.
- Start playing.
Can I use a free VPN on PlayStation?
Technically, you can use a free VPN on PlayStation. However, like most free things, a free VPN is not recommended due to many security issues or simply because it is unable to unblock any chosen locations. Instead, we recommend you try freemium VPNs like NordVPN, Surfshark, or IPVanish, which either offer a free plan or a free trial and are trustworthy.
- NordVPN offers a free 7-day trial that you can make use of. Simply download the NordVPN app, create an account, and initiate a free trial. More so, if 7 days are not enough to make up your mind, the provider also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark just like NordVPN, Surfshark also comes with a 7-day free trial option and a 30-day money-back guarantee. To start the free trial all you need to do is download the Surfshark app, create a new account, and get to exploring.
- IPVanish does not have a free trial option, but you can still make use of its 30-day money-back guarantee. To get the said guarantee, register for an annual plan, and after thirty days simply cancel the services.
There are multiple reasons why you might want to change your PSN region. Depending on whether you want to watch geo-locked content, or access games and apps not available in your region, the solutions will also differ.
You might have to make a new PSN account for apps and games. Meanwhile, for accessing content, a good VPN will be an excellent help. Giving you a foreign IP address, it will let your stream, browse, and game as if you were there. During our tests, NordVPN was consistently one of the best options around.
Not only it's a great option for streaming high-definition video content. it's also a great option for improving your online security, and reducing ISP internet connection throttling.
We hope that this post has covered everything you need to know. Have fun, and carry on playing.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Is it possible to use a free VPN on PlayStation?
It is possible, but not advisable, as most free VPNs can’t connect to a router. They are also not as secure, and you are more likely to get caught and receive a ban on your IP address, or even a ban on your console.
How do I check my account region on PlayStation?
The easiest way to check your account region is to use psnprofiles.com. Type your username into the search engine and a flag of your region will appear.
What are the benefits of different regions on PlayStation?
Switching regions on PlayStation will let you access games and apps that are unavailable in your country due to region restriction. You can also get access to early releases and special offers. And you can watch region restricted streaming content, such as Hulu or BBC iPlayer.