How to Watch Italian TV in the USA in 2023
Love vacationing in the US, studying abroad, or permanently living in the states but miss your Italian shows and streaming services from back home? Watching RaiPlay, Sky Italia, or Netflix Italia is a problem because geo-restrictions usually block you from streaming Italian TV and content online.
However, there’s a simple way to get around these geo-restrictions. The secret is to use a VPN service. A VPN connection will mask your IP address and location. The service will change both to look like you’re connecting from where you’re allowed to stream Italian TV and online content.
This guide will explain how to watch Italian TV in the USA using a VPN. We’ll also recommend the top VPN providers and how to use them to bypass geo-restrictions. Read on to discover how to start watching online Italian content from the US
How to Watch Italian TV with a VPN
- Choose a VPN with solid servers based in Italy. We recommend NordVPN, now 69% OFF!
- Download and install the software on your device.
- Choose an Italian server, set up your preferences, and create an account.
- Go to your chosen streaming app or platform, such as RaiPlay, and sign into your account or create one.
- Start watching and streaming your favorite online Italian TV shows.
Why do you need a VPN to watch Italian TV online?
Italian streaming and online TV services aren’t accessible from the US because of geo-restrictions, licensing agreements, copyright laws, and distribution rights. You can simply bypass these restrictions by getting a reliable VPN service that has servers in Italy.
Once you connect to a server in the country, you’ll be assigned an Italian IP address and will be able to access the country’s content. Otherwise, if you attempt to watch Italian TV in the US without a VPN, you’ll get an error message saying the content is blocked or unavailable.
So you do have to choose a high-quality VPN that’s trustworthy and has servers based in Italy. We’ve made the process of finding one easy for you by putting together a list. Here are our top recommendations for VPN services that will let you watch Italian TV shows from the US.
Best VPNs to watch Italian TV online in 2023
- NordVPN – best VPN to watch Italian TV in the US
- Surfshark – excellent value for watching Italian TV online
- PureVPN – fast speeds for watching Italian TV channels
You might think any VPN service will help you navigate around geo-restrictions so you can watch Italian TV in the USA. The truth is you need a VPN provider that has reliable and high-quality servers in Italy.
You don’t have to worry, though. We’ve thoroughly tested many VPNs, and our recommendations reflect the top 3 providers. These VPN services are the best for dependability and consistently getting around geo-restrictions.
We also double-checked each service for strong security and robust speeds. Most of all, we made sure each VPN provider will let you access online content from Italy in the US. Let’s look at each VPN service that made the cut.
1. NordVPN – the most secure VPN to watch Italian TV in the US
|Servers/countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|Unblocks US Netflix:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Holiday Deal! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
When you want to watch your favorite Italian TV shows from the US or anywhere else, NordVPN is the number one option to go. It has over 60 servers based in Italy. You’ll have plenty of servers to connect to whenever you want to stream Italian TV. No geo-restrictions here.
Plus, NordVPN exceeds our security standards. With 256-bit AES encryption, dark web monitor, and an automatic kill switch, it’s the most secure VPN service we’ve tried. You’ll also benefit from fast speeds due to its proprietary NordLynx protocol, so you don’t have to deal with buffering.
You can sign up for plans starting at $2.99 a month. Don’t forget our exclusive NordVPN discounts for an even better deal!
For more information, read our full review on NordVPN here.
2. Surfshark – budget-friendly option for watching Italian TV online
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Unblocks US Netflix:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Cyber Monday! Get 80% OFF Surfshark + 5 months FREE🔥|
If you’re looking for the most affordable way to watch Italian TV in the USA, Surfshark is your best choice. The VPN service has several servers based in Milan and Rome. You should have an easy time binging your Italian TV faves from almost any streaming service.
You’ll also get super-fast speeds with Surfshark and good security. Even though prices are a bit lower, Surfshark doesn’t compromise on quality. Some of the security features include AES-256-GCM, private DNS and leak protection.
Plans start at only $1.99 a month. Save with our Surfshark VPN coupon and get a significant discount!
For additional details, read our complete Surfshark VPN review.
3. PureVPN – solid VPN for buffer-free streaming
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6,500+ servers in 65 countries|
|Unblocks US Netflix:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
If you want a way to watch Italian TV online from the US or anywhere at the fastest speeds, get PureVPN. The service has numerous Milan-based secure servers. PureVPN’s servers also allow peer-to-peer or P2P services for extra anonymity.
For those who don’t want to deal with buffering ever, PureVPN is your best option. With a PureVPN discount coupon, plans start at only $2.08 a month for 5 years. But you can also get 70% off and pay $3.24 a month for a year.
For more information, read our in-depth PureVPN review here.
How to watch Italian TV in the USA
Ready to learn how to watch Italian TV in the USA or from anywhere? Get started with this step-by-step guide. We’ll use NordVPN.
1. Subscribe to a VPN service
You won’t get far if you try to watch Italian TV from the US without a good VPN. Your initial step will be to sign up for service.
NordVPN has the most reliable (over 5,900) servers to connect to in Italy. We recommend installing the software and signing up for an account. You can always try it risk-free for 30 days to see how good it is at unblocking Italian TV.
2. Connect to an Italian server
- Navigate to your VPN provider’s site. For this case we recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the software for your device.
- Open the software and log in with your account.
- Select Italy from the selection of countries
Alternatively, you can open NordVPN’s map and tap Italy’s country pin. This will connect you to a server in Milan.
3. Open your Italian streaming service
Whether you prefer to watch content with Netflix Italia or RaiPlay, your next step is to access your streaming service:
- Open the streaming service on a web browser or with an app.
- Sign in to your account.
- Select the content you want to watch and enjoy!
Italian TV channels you can watch with a VPN
Here’s a list of the most popular Italian TV channels and streaming services you can watch with a VPN:
- Amazon Prime Italy
- Canale 5 (through Mediaset Infinity)
- Cielo (through IndieFix True Story, DocAlliance Films)
- Italia 1
- Netflix Italy
- Sky Go Italia
You can also get Mediaset Infinity, which features several popular Italian TV channels.
What Italian TV shows can I watch online?
|My Brilliant Friend (L’Amica Geniale)||Series||2018 – present||RaiPlay|
|A Doctor in the Family (Un Medico in Famiglia)||Series||1998-2016||RaiPlay|
|The Pupil (L’allieva)||Series||2016-2020||RaiPlay|
|Viola (Viola Come Il Mare)||Series||2022-||Mediaset Infinity|
|Buongiorno, mamma!||Series||2021-||Mediaset Infinity|
|We Still Talk (Lei mi parla ancora)||Movie||2021||Netflix Italia|
How to watch Italian TV on your device
Using a VPN with servers based in Italy will make it possible to watch Italian TV on a variety of devices. Potential devices include computers, laptops, smartphones, Amazon Fire Sticks, Kodi, and smart TVs. That said, the process can be different for each type of device.
We’ve saved you the headache of trying to figure out each process on your own. Our step-by-step guides will show you how to use a VPN to watch Italian TV on devices from the USA or anywhere else in the world.
- Watch Italian TV from your PC
- Watch Italian TV on a smartphone
- Watch Italian TV on Amazon Fire Stick
- Watch Italian TV on Kodi
How to watch Italian TV on a PC
As long as your VPN is compatible with Windows or a Mac, you can use it to get around geo-restrictions. Just follow these simple steps.
- Download and install your VPN software on your computer. We highly recommend NordVPN.
- Sign into your account.
- Connect to a server in Italy.
- Pull up your favorite Italian streaming service in a web browser.
- Sign into the streaming service and start watching.
How to watch Italian TV on a smartphone
Sometimes you’re not at home and want to watch your Italian TV shows on your smartphone. Whether you have an Android or iPhone, the process is mostly the same. The only difference is the version of the app you’ll install.
- Download and install your VPN’s app or software on your smartphone from Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. NordVPN is the best choice.
- Once you install the VPN app, sign into your account.
- If you have an Apple ID or Google account, create a new one and select Italy as your country.
- Go to your VPN and select a server based in Italy.
- Open or download your Italian streaming service’s app from Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Sign in to your streaming account and select the content you want to watch.
Watch Italian TV on Amazon Fire Stick
Watching Italian TV on Amazon Fire Stick is similar to other devices. However, you might need to restart your device or clear its cache memory if you’re not successful on the first try.
- Download your VPN app onto an Amazon Fire Stick. We suggest using NordVPN.
- Open and sign into the VPN app.
- Set your location to Italy or choose a server based in Italy.
- Download your Italian streaming service’s app onto the Amazon Fire Stick if it’s not there already.
- Open the streaming service app, sign in, and enjoy.
Watch Italian TV on Kodi
Kodi is media player software if you’re unfamiliar with the name. So, if you have a media player or smart TV device, you might want to use it to watch Italian TV. The process is somewhat different because it involves an add-on.
- Download and install a VPN on your media player. Our recommendation is NordVPN.
- Access your account and connect to a server in Italy.
- Go to your Kodi home screen and choose “Add-ons.”
- From this menu, select “Video add-ons” and then “Rai On Demand.” This will let you watch content from RaiPlay.
- Open the add-on, sign in to your RaiPlay account, and get ready to be entertained.
Watch Italian TV from your country
You can watch Italian TV whether you live in the US, UK, Australia, or somewhere else. The process is the same with a VPN.
- Download and install VPN software on your device. NordVPN works amazingly.
- Register for an account and sign in.
- Connect to a server based in Italy.
- Open your Italian TV or streaming service.
- Choose and enjoy your shows!
Watch Italian TV online for free
If you want to watch Italian TV online for free from the US, you can use a free service like RaiPlay. Other options include accessing Italian broadcast channels, such as LA7 and DMAX Italia, online. But you will need a strong VPN with servers based in Italy to do this.
Be aware that many free VPN services don’t have servers based in major Italian cities like Milan or Rome. You’re also taking a gamble with the security and privacy of your personal data. In exchange for “free service,” many of these providers sell your information.
You can also use NordVPN’s, Surfshark’s, and PureVPN’s free trials. Here’s how much they will cost you once the trial period is over:
- NordVPN – easily unblock Italian streaming services for only $2.99/month.
- Surfshark – just $1.99/month to watch your favorite Italian content online
- PureVPN – super affordable solutions for just $2.08/month after the trial is over.
The final word
When you travel or live abroad, you miss your favorite shows. But watching Italian TV in the US or anywhere outside Italy means you need to bypass location restrictions. The simplest way to do this is to use a secure VPN with servers based in Italy.
NordVPN is the best solution because it has over 60 servers in Milan and Rome you can use. Plus, the security and capacity are top-notch.
Once you’ve got your VPN ready to go, all you have to do is log in or access your Italian TV channels or streaming services online. Your IP address will be from Italy, so you won’t get any geo-restriction error messages.
We hope this guide has given you all the information you need to use a VPN to watch Italian TV in the USA. If there’s something missing, leave a comment below, and we’ll be in touch.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I watch Italian TV in the UK?
Yes, you can watch most Italian TV channels from the UK with a VPN service. The VPN provider you choose must have secure servers based in Italy that you can connect to. Otherwise, you’ll run into error messages that say the content is not available from your country or location. We recommend using NordVPN.
How to watch Italian TV for free?
Many broadcast channels and streaming services like RaiPlay are free. But you will need a VPN that has servers based in cities like Milan and Rome to unblock Italian content from anywhere. Once you connect to a VPN server with an Italian location, you can watch content from Italian TV channels online.
What is the best Italian streaming channel?
RaiPlay is the best Italian streaming channel because it offers exclusive TV series and Italian broadcast TV channels. You can also watch popular movies and live sports events. Best of all, you don’t have to pay to register or use RaiPlay.